L.Joe to the Rescue

The Little Things (Oneshots)

 

The quiet bookstore is nearly empty as you run towards the back of the shop. You don’t care where you’re going, you just need to get away. This place had seemed like the best choice at the moment.

You’re grateful the place is secluded as you finally find the last aisle, sinking back against the bookcase. You clutch your hand over your mouth and silently sob, rocking back and forth as the tears pour down your face. You can’t hold the hurt inside any longer; you’ve kept yourself from crying for much too long.

Someone moves down the aisles and you begin to panic. No, he couldn’t have found me, you think, scrambling backwards away from the footsteps. How could he have possibly followed me here?

But the guy who comes around the corner of the aisle isn’t who you had feared; it’s an employee. His nametag reads L.Joe and he’s breathtakingly beautiful. You gasp slightly through your tears when your eyes meet his before curling up in the corner. You’re embarrassed that he’s seen you crying. You hurriedly wipe away the salty streams coming from your wide eyes. L.Joe steps toward you cautiously. “Miss? Are you okay?”

He crouches down beside you and takes your wrist. “Do you need me to call someone? Are you hurt?” His fingers graze your chin as he lifts up your face. Your eyes lock on his and your lips quiver as his face contorts in horror. “Who…did someone hit you?” His eyes narrow and he runs his hand along the bruised and scratched skin on your cheek. You nod slowly in response to his question.

“How could someone have done this to you? Should I call the police? Do you want some ice?” You shake your head, although you’re not quite sure which question you’re answering. The embarrassment makes you go crimson. This is humiliating; now this boy probably thinks you’re some kind of skittish animal.

You struggle to stand but the sound of footsteps stomping down each aisle makes you freeze. You sink back to the floor and L.Joe shifts so that he’s blocking you. You gasp in surprise at his actions as your furious “boyfriend” stalks down the aisle. “____!” You cringe as he shouts your name. He’s drunk, stumbling and swearing as he comes straight for you. L.Joe stands up and holds out a hand, shoving your assaulter backwards.

Surprise flashes across the bulky man’s face and L.Joe matches it with a sneer. “Get out of here before I call security. You won’t ever be toughing this girl again.” Your now ex boyfriend flashes you an angry look.

“What would I want with that anyway? I guess she was cheating on me anyway, Mr. Loverboy.” You cower at the cruel words and try to stand again to stop what is inevitably going to happen. L.Joe’s eyes darken before you can do anything and he slams his fist into the other man’s jaw. You gasp, grabbing L.Joe around the waist and pulling him back from the fight. He softens at your touch and turns to face you.

“Are you okay?” You nod and let your eyes fall on your ex boyfriend as he groans in pain on the floor. L.Joe follows your eyes. “Ignore whatever he said. You’re not a and you don’t deserve what he said and has done to you.” You can’t believe the kindness this stranger has shown you. You watch L.Joe’s eyes carefully before he speaks again. “Besides, I think you’re beautiful. That makes everything he says irrelevant.” Your eyes widen and you stutter as L.Joe brushes a strand of your hair behind your ear. “I’ll walk you home, okay? _____-ah, right?” You nod, liking the sound of your name rolling off of his tongue. L.Joe kicks your ex boyfriend in the side.

“Let me just take care of this mess of a human before we go.” He phones the security and leads you out of the bookstore, holding your hand tightly. He flashes you worried looks and you wince in pain, little shocks running through your cheekbone. When you both reach your house, he finally lets go of your hand to brush his own over your cheek again. He hands you a small piece of paper. “That’s my number. I want you to call me tonight and let me know you’re okay, alright ____-ah?” You nod, smiling at him. He grins in return.

“Now that’s something I like to see. I’ve got to get going now. Don’t forget to call!” He slowly walks the opposite direction, giving you a sad wave before he disappears. You feel tiny grateful tears slip down your face. Without L.Joe’s help, you would have been dead meet. You run your fingertips over the digits scrawled on the piece of paper.

There was something absolutely wonderful about that boy; even if he was a complete stranger.