Meet and Greet

You are the One
Please log in to read the full chapter

Young Saeng strolled slowly down the bright, dusty streets, ignoring the blatant remarks of young men and women who were obviously impressed by his beauty, exploring leisurely the small shops that were literally crammed with fine examples of local crafts. Being an only child, he was used to doing things alone, and his cool independence rendered him more than capable of fending off ardent admirers, as Young Saeng made his purchases.

As Young Saeng emerged from the shops the sunlight hit him forcefully and he began to wish that he had brought a hat with him. He stood on the edge of the pavement awaiting his chance to cross the road to cafe on the other side when a red sports car pulled up in front of him and Young Saeng found himself staring at Kim KyuJong whose whole face was shining with excitement on seeing Young Saeng.

"Do you want a lift, or are you still shopping?"

"Actually, I'm trying to cross the road to make my way to that cafe," Young Saeng admitted, pointing to the other side of the road, "without much success."

KyuJong laughed and leaning over, swung open the door of his car. "Get in and come for a drink with me," he said persuasively. Young Saeng hesitated for a second, then slide in beside him. He was feeling too hot and thirsty to argue with KyuJong. 

Saeng shut his eyes, not wanting to look as Kyu's driving which was quite reckless. He did not open his eyes until the car screeched to a halt outside an expensve looking restaurant. Letting out a long sigh of relief, Young Saeng stumbled out of the car, glad to have his feet on the ground again, watching Kyu jumping out over his door, rather than opening it.

They entered the restaurant and sat down. Kyu ordered a huge meal and tried to persuade Saeng to have something to eat. He refused, ordering a glass of freshly made iced lemonade. 

"I've already had lunch," Young Saeng made it clear. "Precisely," Kyu returned his attention to the shellfish in front of him, without remorse, and Young Saeng gave up. It did not matter, and at least his thirst was quenched, and the restaurant was cool, beautifully cool. 

Young Saeng had known KyuJong for just over a year, having first met him when Saeng's father invited Kyu's father to dinner at their house. Mr. Kim was a wealthy industrialist and at the time Mr. Heo had been anxious to set up a deal with him. Mr. Kim had brought KyuJong with him that evening. Kyu was young and arrogant, but he could also be charming and, on occasions, kind. He did not seem particularly interested in his father's business, in fact, pretty boys and girls, and fast cars seemed to be infinitely more important to him. Saeng had immediately recognised the similarity of their lives.

The only difference between Young Saeng and KyuJong was that Kyu would accept without protest, while Saeng felt, with dread, that he would have to fight his father in the end. This difference however was slight, easily outweighed by the similarities, and a wary friendship had sprung up between them almost immediately.

They had met number of times since that first dinner. Saeng brought his mind back to the present and studied Kyu objectively. Kyu was very attractive, Young Saeng concluded, although he did not affect Saeng at all, never making his heart beat faster.

KyuJong caught Young Saeng looking at him and smiled. "You are very pensive, Saeng," he said softly.

Young Saeng sighed. "Are you happy, Kyu?" he asked candidly, feeling suddenly and absurdly worried about Kyu.

"Happy? Of course, I'm happy. I have a full stomach, a glass of excellent wine, and a beautiful lunch companion. What more could I ask for?" he replied Saeng, not appearing at all surprised by his question.

"I'm talking about the business. Do you really want to take over from your father?" Young Saeng qustioned seriously. The laughter died in KyuJong's eyes.

"What I want is not so important. I have always known what was in store for me, as have you. Abeoji will retire in a year or two, and in a way...yes, I want to take over. Power is very attractive, you know, Saeng, especially when you have been bred for it," Kyu said seriously.

Young Saeng considered KyuJong's confident answer and saw for the first time a certain hardness in him. Perhaps Kyu was actually more like his father than Young Saeng had realised. 

"My appa is hoping that you and I will marry," Saeng said worriedly, voicing out his fears finally.

"Would it be such a bad idea?" Kyu asked softly, his eyes still serious. Young Saeng stared at him in amazement, unable to tell if he was joking or not, but not really wanting to find out.

"Don't be afraid," Kyu said carelessly. "You think I'm ganging up with your father against you, yes?"

Young Saeng glared at him. "I certainly wouldn't put it past, knowing my appa. I don't know about you, although I'm beginning to wonder," Saeng retorted drily.

Kyu said quietly, "You don't know me very well at all, do you?"

"Don't play games with me, Kyu," Saeng said steadily. He stood up from his seat. "Thanks for the lemonade," Saeng smiled at Kyu and got ready to go.

Please log in to read the full chapter