Meet and Greet: Late Night Encounter

You are the One
Please log in to read the full chapter

They stared at each other for what seemed to Young Saeng like years, then KyuJong was beside him, slipping his arm possessively around his shoulder, which made Saeng squirm in discomfort.

"You find him attractive, right?" Kyu asked him flatly, making it more of a statement than a question.

"What's the matter with you, Kyu?" Young Saeng asked with surprise, deliberately not answering his question.

KyuJong sighed, trying to look repentant. "Forgive me. I think I'm jealous."

Young Saeng snorted with disbelief. "And I think you're crazy," he replied mildly, realising now why Kyu had put his arm around his shoulders so possessively. Saeng, then tried to change the topic of their discussion, so questioned Kyu, "What were you talking to my father, this afternoon?"

"Many things," Kyu replied evasively, still sounding annoyed, and in consequence rather than spiteful. "You were right, Mr. Heo does want us to be married."

"He actually said that?" Saeng was amazed and shocked at the same time, and he could not hide it.

"I think it is a good idea," Kyu stated arrogantly.

Young Saeng pushed his arm from his shoulder and stared at Kyu in utter disbelief. "You can't be serious!" Saeng whispered, unable to keep the horror out of his voice.

Kyu stiffened, his mouth pursing, "I don't joke about marriage," he snapped angrily.

Before Young Saeng could reply, dinner was announced and their conversation interrupted. Profoundly relieved,  Saeng went indoors and they all sat down around the beautifully laid table, sparkling with crystal and silver.

Young Saeng was shaken by what KyuJong had said. They have joked about the idea of getting married the last time they met in Bangkok; it had never been anything serious between them. Never! Since they had been on Jeju island, however, Kyu's attitude had changed and he really did seem too serious about the whole business.

Lifting his head, Saeng found Kim HyunJoong staring at him across the table with inscrutable, intent eyes. Young Saeng's inner turmoil was obvious in his clouded eyes, creased forehead and the defeated stance of his slender neck. Suddenly there was a deep perceptive quality in HyunJoong's expression that seemed to touch something raw and painful inside Young Saeng. Then it was gone and HyunJoong was smiling at him, making all worries disappear under the magnetic force of his personality.

"Fate," he said, very softly so that only Saeng could hear. Saeng knew what HyunJoong meant and colour flooded his cute face.

"You knew?" Young Saeng asked with a gentle smile, his eyes on HyunJoong's strong slightly tanned hand curled lazily round the fragile crystal glass.

"The moment I saw you," HyunJoong gave a teasing smile. And whether or not it was true, Young Saeng could well believe that HyunJoong did know.

"You look lovely tonight," HyunJoong said with utmost sincerity, and Saeng shivered. "Thank you," he whispered, feeling suddenly quite well.

Tonight Young Saeng was sensitively aware of every movement Kim HyunJoong made, every smile, every turn of his proud dark head, every shifting of his powerful body. Saeng also listened carefully to every word he said, familiarising himself with that low, drawling voice that affected his senses so violently. With dinner finished, they were served with coffee.

Young Saeng was aware of Kim HyunJoong's eyes upon him again, hooded, unreadable and faintly brooding, and raised his head to hear his father saying jovially, "But KyuJong practically is my son. There's only the formalities now." Saeng's eyes widened with pure shock as he looked at his father. How could his father be so unsubtle, and so tactless? He wondered miserably, fighting his strong urge to run from the room.

He would not marry Kyu, not even for his father, Saeng thought bitterly, gathering his composure with difficulty so that when his eyes next met those of HyunJoong's, Saeng could meet his brooding stare with calm dignity.

The evening passed quickly, but as Young Saeng sat on his bed several hours later, he knew that sleep had evaded him. He felt too confused and upset by what his father had said. His father had pushed him towards KyuJong in the past, that was true, but he had never been so obvious or so public about it before. Perhaps he felt confident now that he had Kyu on his side, although Saeng was finding Kyu's attitude just as difficult to understand. As far as Young Saeng was concerned, they were just friends. Which meant that there must be some ulterior motive behind Kyu's willingness to marry him, some privately arranged business deal between Mr. Heo and Mr. Kim.

Young Saeng lowered his head into his shaking hands, feeling physically sick. He would not let himself be manipulated by his father as though he was a piece of property. Everything inside him cried out against it. Young Saeng's thoughts drifted to Kim HyunJoong, and his chaotic feelings for him. He hardly knew HyunJoong and yet he was deeply attracted to him in every way.

Saeng jumped restlessly to his feet and looked out of the window. It was a warm and beautiful night. It seemed to call him, the bedroom becoming unbearably claustrophobic. Saeng wanted to go for a swim and forget his troubles. He put on swimming trunk and over it a loose t-shirt and then ran out of his room and down to the beach.

The vast expanse of pale sand was empty, totally deserted, and silky beneath his toes. Even though Young Saeng knew it was an illusion, he suddenly felt free ad bursting with pure happiness of being alive. It was a night to do crazy, happy things, and he laughed out loud as he ran into the warm, silver scattered sea, swimming, diving and floating until he felt deliciously tired.

Young Saeng waded out of the water singing to himself, only to stop shock-still, his heart pounding heavily as he sudenly noticed the tall menacing figure of a man a few yards in front of him, blocking his pathway up the beach.

Please log in to read the full chapter