Chapter Three - Second Choice

Wish Tree

Seulgi kicked off her shoes by the side of her front door and slumped into a chair by the window.

Seulgi had a very small and very simple apartment. A room consisting of a sink, a stove, a mini fridge and a few cabinets above. By the window, a few steps forward, a window with a small circular table was in place with two chairs at each side. In the next room, a pile of thick blankets on the floor, another window and a small cubicle for her toilet was neatly put into a corner. That was it.

The walls had paint that was chipping off and in a corner there was a wet puddle from the leakage above. The curtains were all tattered and ragged, having holes and stains all along. The floorboards were wonky, some had cracked, some had gaps where termites or ants could occasionally be found. Admittedly, at first Seulgi had felt uncomfortable, unable to cope. After all, having a fear of bugs wouldn't help anyone in a situation like this. But soon, she got used to it, and started to appreciate her private thinking space even more, it was her home.

Staring out into the evening sky painted with streams of pinks and blues, it relaxed Seulgi's jumble of emotions.

Another tiring day had passed.

It had been nearly a month since Jongin had introduced Soojung to Seulgi.

If Seulgi were to be completely honest, she had secretly hoped their relationship would end. However, contrary to her silent prairs, Jongin only seemed to be getting crazier in love.

Every sentence or line said about Soojung was a stab to the heart. It was hard, to describe all the jumbled-up pain mixed into one. Why did she have to fall in love with her best friend? Only things like these happened in dramas or stories.

Spending so much time, complaining about characters not being able to stop their emotions or not being able to go for the 'obvious decision,' for once she could actually feel for those characters.

It had only been a month, and as people say, time heals everything... so why wasn't Seulgi feeling any better? Why did the cut in her heart seem to bleed more and more? Why did the tears seem to keep flowing more and more?

All these feelings of new unknown love were hitting her. These feelings were still all too new and fresh, if only she had the confidence to confess before he did.

Every time he smiled at her, her heart would skip a beat. Every time he called her name, it was like the whole world had gone black and white. Every time he was with her, time seemed to slow down, making the moments seem forever. It all sounded so cliche and cringeworthy to Seulgi. It felt so cheesy, like a waterfall of those stereotypical 'lovey' tumblr quotes had all thrown up on her. At first, Seulgi felt so confused and disgusted. Why did she have to be the one getting caught up in situations like these? Why all of a sudden did her heart decide to beat faster? Why all of a sudden, was her heart fluttering?

They had first met when Seulgi had been new to YJS university and accidentally walked in on his dancing when she had gotten lost.

Smiling at the pair of birds flying across the sky, all the memories came flooding back to her mind, like pictures from a photograph.

She remembered how he used to follow her around at lunch breaks. She remembered getting annoyed, 'why won't this kid go away?' But soon, she noticed his likeable charms growing on her, and slowly got to know more about him.

In the beginning, Seulgi denied her feelings for him, after all, Jongin was her best friend. But as time went on and her heartbeats quickened, there wasn't anything to deny, Seulgi had fallen deep in love, she fell hard.

Too bad he was with someone else. Someone she could never compete with.

Seulgi tapped her fingernails on top of the table. Sighing she stared outside at the two birds swooping around eachother. Her eyes trailing after them, Seulgi was stuck in a trance, eyes following the birds.

Suddenly, her phone started vibrating, disturbing her thoughts. Jongin, coming from quite a well off family, lent her his old phone. It was an iPhone 5s. When Seulgi insisted the only reason she didn't have a phone was simply because she didn't need one, he didn't listen and handed it to her anyways.

Seulgi picked up the phone and placed it to her ear.

"Seulgi? Seulgi? You there? Hello?"

It was Jongin.

"Jongin?"

"Heh, yeah, sorry about today, you know what Soojung is like," Jongin said guiltily through the phone.

For the 6th time so far, now being the 7th, Jongin had yet again ditched Seulgi. For who? For the princess of course. Seulgi ended up waiting outside the bench of his department for 45 minutes. Again.

"Yeah, sure, whatever."

To make up for the times he had dropped out on her, they were supposed to go to the theme park together. It was one of their 'traditions' I guess you could say, that they always did together.

"Look, I'm sorry Seulgi, it's just that-"

"Yeah, sure you are, what is it this time?"

Seulgi was so tired of it, being pushed to the side. Why did everyone she love always put her away?  She loved him so much, but now, he barely even had time for her.

"I know you're upset Seulgi, and I'm sorry, I hope you know that. It's just, well, Soojung really was begging me to go to Lotte world with her, she wanted to go on tha-that new ride, you know, the one you told me about last week,"

Lotte world? As in, the theme park? Seulgi's mind was racing in an unknown direction of confusion.

"What?"

Seulgi felt her heart drop.

"Yeah, you know, the theme park? Anyways, to cheer you up, I bought you one of those stuffed animals from the claw machines. I'll bring it to you tomorrow. I know, it's probably not going to make up for all the things I've done, but at least give me a chance to explain. It's a giant bear, the type you like. Soojung doesn't really like bears, so I thou-"

"You would give it to me instead? As your second choice? Whatever Jongin, I gotta go,"

"Seulgi, wai-"

Seulgi hung up.

Was she just plan B for him? Just there for him to go back to when all else wasn't working out?

Seulgi then felt a surge of guilt.

Was she too harsh? I mean, he is her best friend, isn't he? Was she overreacting?

Seulgi's mind was in the midst of a heated debate.

Seulgi stayed up late that night, rewinding to the conversation the two had over the phone.

╲ʕ·ᴥ· ╲ʔ 

Aiyaaaa guys! Ok two things: 1, I am sorry I haven't updated in a while (well, it seems like for me) and 2) I AM SORRY THAT THIS FANFIC IS SO DEPRESSING AND JUST SEULGI WHINING AND COMPLAINING ABOUT LIFE AND HER BROKEN HEART. So, trust me, I have gotten all this story all done in my head, the plot is finito (*party-snsd plays*) and things WILL start getting more interesting. Jimin will be coming in soon DO NOT WORRY and things will start escalting okay? I know I've already said this many times like this basic text that I say at the end of each chapter but JUST TRUST ME GUYS OKAY??? and it would srsly mean soooo much to me as an author if you guys would comment and pitch in your ideas in comments! That would be the best!!! 

Well, annyeoung guys, cya next time

xoxo