Page Three

Next Page

The girl that had been sitting on the same bench for the past twenty minutes had checked the time on her phone for the nth time and huffed, clearly showing her annoyance “Ahh where is that girl? She told me not to be late and it’s already 2:13. Honestly..”

As she sat there waiting for her companion of the day, her mind wandered off to the reason why she was even there in the first place.

A bout of awkward silence had fallen upon them for sometime now and as a cold sweat slowly formed on her forehead, Chaeyoung felt the need to break it. Clearing as she went on to say something.

“Uh so…. Why did you want me to tag along? Thought you’d feel a little lonely? Heheh…” her attempt at lightening up the mood was useless as the girl next to her continued staring on ahead at nothing in particular. Until she had asked a question which had caught the shorter girl off guard.

“How’ve you been lately?”

It was probably her widened eyes that gave away her thoughts but it surprised her nonetheless as Jeongyeon went on, almost as if she had read the girl’s mind.

“You thought I wouldn’t notice huh? Well I did, and… What’s wrong? I mean usually you laugh it off when we tease you or play around and stuff like that, but now it feels like you’d probably bite our heads off or something.”

Looking down at her feet she then figured that she wasn't being as discreet as she had hoped she’d been as someone had found her out, so she quietly sighed and said “I’m fine, just feeling a little sick that’s all.”

It was a complete lie and the other knew it too, however she chose not to comment on it. The task of getting bottles of water for the others as quickly as possible had been momentarily forgotten as the duo had unconsciously slowed down their pace as if to collect their thoughts.

“….That’s a load of bullsh– poop and you know it.”

“You can swear you know? I’m not much younger than you are.”

“I know but Jihyo told me specifically not to swear in front of you, Dahyun and Tzuyu. It’s not like I swear that much anyway.”

“Haha you kinda do unnie, especially when you're frustrated or something similar.”

“Eh, it just comes out you know? What am I supposed to do? But don’t try to change the subject.”

And just as her mood had slightly gotten better, it came crashing back down when the other was trying to be serious with her. A few steps later (unknowingly to her) they had already reached the little drink stall and Jeongyeon had ordered nine bottles of water, giving Chaeyoung four to hold.

Once again they fell silent but after a few moments, the older girl’s words had once again shocked her.

“Let’s go out to the mall tomorrow. Just you and me, I wanna talk and stuff. And if you don’t wanna do that then we’ll just get some lunch, ice-cream, and maybe walk around and stuff, it’ll be on me.”

She hadn't said anything, but Chaeyoung merely nodded her head showing that she had at least acknowledged that the taller girl had said something. They continued to walk back to the group in their slow pace however this time, no one had said anything at all until they had finally reached the others that were waiting for their return. 

“Hey!” a booming voice from behind had startled Chaeyoung, shaking her out of her little musing effectively. A slight snigger then followed, “Did I scare ya?”

Yeah, you did. And where were you?? You were supposed to be here–” her pointed look then directed down to her phone, “eighteen minutes ago.”

“Yeah yeah, I know. But you see I was caught up in watering my…dog. Uhh yeah we found a stray puppy a few days ago so it needs a lot of the essentials like food and wate–

“Watering your do– You know what? I’m not even gonna ask.” sighing through her nose, Chaeyoung then spun around on her heels and walked away from a sheepishly smiling Jeongyeon.

“He-Hey! Wait up.” a chuckle on her lips, the taller girl hastening to catch up, “Did you not sleep well last night? You seem a little… irritable.”

A little? I didn’t even get 5 hours, of course I’m going to be testy. But you don’t need to know that..

“I slept fine thank you very much. And I’m just like this cause I skipped lunch so you’re gonna have to compensate by buying me whatever I wanna eat.”

A sweat drop formed on Jeongyeon’s forehead as she began checking the contents of her wallet. “By that you mean just one Big Mac right? I mean it’s cool if you want something else, just means that your unnie has to wait for her next allowance to get those shoes that she’s really been wanting.”

“Stop talking about yourself in the third person. That’s really weird. And sure whatever, a Big Mac actually sounds good right about now.” 

“Alright! Let’s go then!” and that was all it took for an excitable Jeongyeon to grab onto Chaeyoung’s hand and drag her in the direction of the McDonald’s that was situated in the mall.


“Here you go. I got you a strawberry sundae. You love strawberry don’t you? See I remembered.”

After having their lunch Jeongyeon had taken her smaller companion to get some ice-cream as she had promised the day before. Going up to the counter, after telling Chaeyoung to find them a seat in the stylish ice-cream parlour, she had ordered one strawberry sundae for the other and one chocolate and vanilla for herself.

“Yeah I do, thanks.” she replied somewhat warily. All day, not once has Jeongyeon talked to her about her supposed ‘problems’, but it’s not like she’s complaining because the less she has to talk about that topic the better. Although now that they’re about to sit down for some ice-cream Chaeyoung thinks that this might be what Jeongyeon was waiting for so that she could finally talk things out with her.

“So….” as soon as the waitress had brought over the sundaes and left, to Jeongyeon, it was the perfect time for them to begin.

“…”

“……”

“I like Mina.”

What did I just do?! Oh my god! I’m an idiot. Ughh I might as well come clean now that I just blurted out that I like our friend.

“Huh?”

“I like Mina, ok? I have for a while now.”

“What do you mean ‘ok’?? That’s great! You should definitely tell her.”

“I’ve been meaning to but I don’t know how..”

“Well just woman up and walk right towards her and be like…

Mina, suki desu.

And if it looks like the plan’s going downhill just say that you’re practicing your Japanese you know.”

“Unnieee! This is seriouss!”

“I know, I know. I’m just messing with ya. Geez take a joke bro.”

“Hmph.” seeing Chaeyoung getting riled up so easily like this made Jeongyeon realise that this whole thing was bothering the younger girl really badly. Sobering up, she cleared , sat up straighter and stared into Chaeyoung’s eyes.

“Listen, this is what you do. You go up to her and just be you. Tell her you like her and how much you like her. Don’t be nervous, ok? Besides it’s Mina. Sweet, caring, loving, Mina who wouldn't want to intentionally hurt you at all. So even if she says ‘no’ or ‘I’m sorry, I don’t like you in that way’ just remember we’re still going to be here, all of us are still friends, best of friends even. But hey, don’t think like that ok? Just go straight in like the brave lion cub I know you are and tell her straight up.”

“Wow unnie… I- I don’t know what to say. You really are something when you get all serious. Thank you… So much. Like you have no idea.”

“Hahaa.. No problem, just doin’ my job you know? I’ve been taking tips from Jihyo so you should probably thank her too.”

“Well who’s ever piece of advice that was, it was amazing and made me feel a hundred times better. Nothing can make me this agitated ever agai– *gasp* MY ICE-CREAM SUNDAE’S MELTING AHH!”

And sitting there, right across from the girl who was frantic over her rapidly melting sundae, a gently chuckling Jeongyeon had realised that maybe she wasn’t as useless as she first thought she was. 


[A/N]:

I'm really sorry guys that I always go and dissapear for like 5 years then come back.

Especially this time with a much shorter update. 

Life's just being a bit difficult right now. However I'm sure it'll defintely get better. 

 

See ya (hopefully) soon

- J