Chapter 3

Friendship

Tomorrow is the d-day. It has been awhile since our last comeback. With so many new & talented idol groups rising, all of us are getting the jitters. We were given an early release from Ji-tae oppa to rest and get ourselves together for tomorrow.

*knock*knock*, Eunji unnie popped her head in, “Can I come in?

“you just came back?

“yeah, and I bought for you banana milk & chocolate yoghurt – she laid down beside me on my bed.

“thanks unnie! How was the award yesterday? - Eunji unnie had won an award for her solo song the day earlier, she went back to Busan after yesterday’s event,

“it was fine, it will always be awkward attending events without you guys anyway.

“but suho oppa is there right?

She sighed “you mean exo is there right, yes.

I sat down and opened the packet of banana milk. I know that feeling. The feeling of having to act like you’re a stranger to each other when you’re not. The art of maintaining your work life & your real life is harder when you’re being watched every time you leave your house. The art of responding to each other just enough so that the fans won’t get hurt. Eunji unnie & Suho oppa have been friends for a while now. Although both of them did not get into a relationship, it is an unspoken fact that both of them held each other dearly.

I nudged Eunji unnie who already has her eyes closed.

She whimpered, “why? Hayong-ie’s already sleeping and im kinda lonely. And im lazy to go down to chorong’s flat.

I jumped down from my bed, throw the empty carton and sat on my beanbag chair.

I let out a sigh without much thought

Eunji looked at me, “whats wrong?

“Shinee’s comeback is tomorrow

Eunji sit up on my bed, legs folded “are you for real?

“Soo Jung told me 3 days ago. Their comeback wasn’t supposed to be this early. Something about SM pushing them forward and all this year.

“I hope he wont get affected seeing me there, its not like I can hide from him. It will be the first time we’ll see each other after that day. You know how he is, he cant hide his expression well and, - I looked up and Eunji was staring at me

“What

“ Naeun ah, he slapped you. He slapped you infront of us. Infront of the stage crew. God knows who else was there.

“ I know, because he thought that id cheated on…

“which you didn’t. god knows why you do not want to explain your actions to me and the rest of the girls. But even if you did something that aggravate him, he should have not act like a maniac like that. He knows you better than all of us, couldn’t he settle it nicely with you? Listen Naeun ah, the only thing I want you to focus is on our comeback tomorrow. He don’t deserve your care because he clearly didn’t appreciate it the first time. Because of what he did, some of the hoobaes looked down on you. Even some of the PD nims talked about you.

I sink myself more into my beanbag chair.

Eunji’s phone ring. “You are safe this time Naeun ah. I need to take this call. Do not, I repeat, do not beat yourself up. Go to sleep or draw something, you’re good at that.” She patted my head and went out of the room.

My phone rings. I dragged myself lazily to my bed. Coudnt find my phone, it must be under the sheet somewhere. I was rummaging for it, when the ringer stopped. Ah, found it and accidentally answered the call while I was searching for it. “Hello, who’s there?

“Naeun ah, its me. How are you?

I froze. “Yea, oppa. Im fine.” I looked at the screen. This is not his number.

“Did I caught you at a bad timing? Haha. Ive just reached Korea, heard that you guys are coming back tomorrow. Just wanted to wish you and the rest Good luck.

“Thanks oppa. Anw, did you changed your number?

“Yea, I did, the saesangs get a hold of my number, I lost count of how many times ive changed my number already.

“ahh, I see. We just changed our password for our flat also, every week infact. Where were you from anyway? Hope everything’s fine on your side oppa. You really deserve a break.

“Just came back from Japan. Definitely not for vacation, but it’s a break nonetheless. You girls should be careful. Inform ur managers if you all feel unsafe, ask Plan A to tighten the security. Or anything you can just call me, Ill talk to ur boss for you.

“haha, oppa. Thanks a lot. So far things have been under control”. – I shuddered at the thought of the wrecked teddy bear with gorged eyes that I had exchanged with Taemin oppa and when Namjoo received a box contains a chicken heart with a letter in red bold letters; TAEHYUNG IS MINE. Because of the above incidents is also why we moved out from our previous dorm.

“good to hear that. Brace yourself for the upcoming weeks. Eat well, you need the energy to sustain the rest of the days. Drink plenty of water, hydrate yourself. And sleep, whenever you get the chance to, in the car, waiting room, even while they’re doing your make up. Understand?

“Oppa, its not the first time we are making a comeback…..

“I know, and I know no matter how many times we did it, we still forget all of that. It always feels like it’s the first time.

“It sure does, its nerve-wrecking but I am also so excited to finally perform again. You know the energy you get from the fans support is amazing, ah oppa, sorry…..

“yah, its okay. I totally get what you mean. Heard the demo song, not bad. If you girls need a new ballad song, you know who to find right? Haha. Do your best tomorrow! Just keep on smiling even if you missed a step. Hahaha. Send my regards to the rest of them. Congratulate Eunji for me, saw she won an award yesterday.

“haha, thanks oppa! Thanks for checking up on us. Byeeeee, - clicked, and the line went dead.

Its already 11pm. Naeun-ah, you need to sleep.