New But Old

HEARTBEAT

Key:'*' Means your thoughts.

  

Our life is shaped by the choices we make. It’s what makes our life so unique. It’s what sets us apart and it’s what makes us who we are. We live through all the challenges placed in front of us every single day. It’s up to us what we do with those challenges--whether we let it tear us apart or deal with it and move on. We, are our own writer to our stories. Every person has their own unique story.  In order to understand mine, you will have to know about where it began--when it changed...
 

It was my first day at my new school. I walked down the hallway of the second floor at a slow pace while carrying all of my books. I trotted along, too busy thinking about my classes to even notice the people running my way. As I held up my schedule, I managed to balance the books in one arm. "Ahh!" I yelped. All of a sudden, my books were scattered on the floor. The two boys just stared at me for a second then carried on their merry way. I sighed and crouched down to pick up all of my books.
 

I turned around to collect the last book but to my surprise, it was held out in front of me. I slowly looked up at the book, then at the person. I took the book and looked back up at the person holding his hand out. I took his hand and he pulled me up to stand. As I got up, I dusted my skirt and bowed down to him. "Thank you." He looked at me with curiosity then smiled. The way he stared at me made my heart beat faster. *Dugun Dugun* What was it? I didn’t understand. His dark brown hair, pale skin, and dimples...He wasn't Korean, but it wasn't all too noticeable. I woke up from my daze and watched as he walked away. Who was that guy?
 

The bell rang and I managed to find my class. I peeked inside and my eyes met with the teacher’s. He raised his hand out, beckoning me to stand in the front of the classroom. "Hey, hey, hey!" the teacher clapped his hands trying to get everyone's attention. The students turned their heads to look at the teacher and greeted him. "I have a very special announcement.” He smiled gleefully at me before continuing. “We have a new student!" he announced. The teacher nodded his head, gesturing me to introduce myself. I walked to the front of the classroom with confidence but as I turned to face the students, I felt intimidated.

    I cleared my throat before I began. Everyone's attention was directed on me now. I looked around the classroom and found the guy that helped me earlier. A smile crept up my face but he wasn’t paying attention. He was busy looking outside the window next to his desk. I redirected my attention back to the whole class and found everyone looking so lifeless, so I began. “Hello...my name is Yerim...Park Yerim." I blinked nervously then bowed. "Class, please welcome Yerim with open arms. Be nice to her and give her a warm welcome to our beautiful school," the teacher said excitedly. The teacher turned back to me and whispered, "I’m a fan of your mother by the way. She is the most beautiful woman that I have ever seen. I mean she is just--” He laughed to himself, embarrassed of his sudden confession. I just smiled to him awkwardly, not knowing how to react. He shook his head to gain composure.

    “Yerim dear, why don't you go take a seat next to Lay? He is the one close to that window over there." the teacher pointed out. I stared at the guy. *Lay...* So that’s his name. I bowed to the class and the teacher once more and made my way to the empty seat. I looked down at the floor to ignore the stares coming from every direction around the room. I saw a couple of boys eyeing me, so I looked away. Lay noticed me sitting at the seat beside his but he said nothing the whole class time. I watched the clock as it ticked. Time always seemed to go by slower when you don’t have anything to do. I tapped my pencil on my desk a few times out of boredom, just waiting for the class to end.

 

After a few hours, the bell rang for lunch. Everyone rushed out of their classrooms to line up at the cafeteria. As the other students ate, I figured it was a good time to keep exploring the campus. I took out a piece of paper from my folder. "361...362...363...364...Here it is!" I smiled. "365!" I opened my locker and placed all of my books in neatly. “What a relief,” I said to myself. *Growl* I held onto my stomach. I guess I was hungry. A few seconds later, my stomach growled again. *Shh!! Please stop making noises* I bit my lip. Now that I think about it, I wasn’t sure if I’d gotten my lunch from the kitchen earlier in the morning. I opened my backpack and searched for the food. Nothing. That’s right...I rushed to get to school early so paparazzis wouldn’t crowd on me. I sighed and closed my backpack.

 

"Oi!" I turned around. Was someone calling me just now? I closed my locker and jumped. A guy stood in front of me, just smiling. "Here." He took my hand and gave me a sandwich. I stared at the bread placed on my palm. My face began to heat up. *Did he hear my stomach growl?* "Thank Yo-" I was about to thank him, but he was already waving 'bye' to me. I blushed, thinking about what had just happened...that was actually really embarrassing. I mean, at least it didn't happen during class.

    

I spent the rest of the day alone in the library. As I had expected...this school was going to be just like every other school I’ve attended in for the past six years. Whenever I tried to start a conversation with people, they would turn away from me. The only people who were willing to talk to me only talked about my parents or they would only talk to me in hopes of being filmed by paparazzis. They didn’t even really want to know anything about me. The day dragged on for a while and the ringing of the bell was like a superhero coming to my rescue.


    By the time school finished, a couple of paparazzis swarmed around the gates of the school. I hid behind a tree while waiting for my chauffeur to pick me up. I overheard some students talking to the paparazzis, claiming to be my friend even though I’ve never talked to any of them. “We’re like great friends and we just clicked you know? Yeah like I think we have a lot in common like we both have the same class and like we both go to the same school.” The girl and her friends were giggling. I shook my head. I was surprised the paparazzis actually believed them.  


    A black car approached the school gates and the paparazzis became more excitable. The faculty members blocked them from the vehicle. I peeked out and took a deep breath before running to the car. “There she is! There’s my friend!” The girl pointed at me as I shut the door. Luckily, we were able to leave the school quickly. My chauffeur Dong Moon took a glance at the rear view mirror and smiled warmly at me. Dong Moon has been my chauffeur for as long as I could remember. He is the wisest old man I know and he’d always taken good care of my family. He was like family to me and if there was anyone who’d known me better, it was him. He noticed how quiet I was, which was pretty unusual. “How was your day miss Yerim,” he asked. I rest my head on the window and closed my eyes. “It was alright I guess. Thanks for asking,” I replied.


    I opened my eyes and stared outside the window as we passed by the different houses. After a few more houses, we reached the gates of my home. We had a huge plot of land. My father made sure we lived in a mansion because he never liked “closed” spaces and he was a businessman--it’s what they do. As he would say,“Live big to be big.”



 

Dong Moon rounded the car around the fountain to drop me off in front of the entrance door. “Thanks Mr.Moon,” I called out as I hopped off the car. HyeJa, one of our maids, greeted and followed me as I walked in the house. "Ma'm your mother is waiting for you at the tea room." “She’s back from filming?!” I ran to the tea room in excitement. "Park Yerim! I thought i told you not to run in the house,” my mom hissed. I slowed down and she chuckled. "I'm kidding. Just don't let your father catch you." I jumped and hugged her. "How was school dear," she asked. "It was pretty good I guess," I paused a little, thinking about the two boys I’d encountered earlier. “Hey! Your father is here. Why don’t you go and greet him? He might be in the kitchen.” She pat my behind lightly. I glared at her in a playful way, and she gave me the same glare back. I giggled before heading to the kitchen to search for my dad.


    As I walked to the kitchen, I found my dad walking towards the stairs. I skipped over to him and hugged his arm before he made his first step up the stairs. He glanced over to me and flashed his smile. He pointed to the phone in his ear. I knew what that meant. I nodded my head and pointed to the kitchen. He nodded back and gave me the 'okay' sign. I watched him as he made his way up the stairs. He was always busy with work and from time to time, he’d be on business trips. He really cared for his business but of course he also cared for his family. He did his best to make time for us and I've learned to understand that more as I grew up.


    After I ate, I headed to my room, upstairs. I lay down my bed chatting with my best friend, Sooyoung, to catch up with her. We’ve been friends for five years now and she was the only true friend I had. She was beautiful and charismatic--a charming girl. It was no wonder why she was liked and well respected wherever she went. She always knew how to cheer me up whenever I was feeling down--that’s why I called her ‘Joy’ at times.

    “So how’s Sungjae doing,” I asked her. “He’s doing fine. He’s out with his friends right now but he was asking me how you were doing...We both miss you here!” “Well, come visit me whenever you can and bring him with you. I’m sure the two of you can squeeze in our new house.” “Yeah, I bet,” she laughed. “Well, I’ll talk to you again soon. Just let me know when you two are available and we’ll arrange something.” “Alright. I guess I’ll see you soon,” she replied. As soon as I hung up, I knocked out.

     A few minutes later, my parents entered my room followed by HyeJa. ”Can you tell her that I’ll be out for four days? I need to attend an important business meeting," my father whispered. “Yes Mr.Park.” Hye Ja nodded. My mother placed a hand on his shoulder then looked over at HyeJa. As they all walked out the room, my father looked back at me, smiling through my sleep. He smiled too, then carefully closed the door.



 
   "Change takes time.
Just let it be and things will unravel itself in due time." -HDC