Chapter 4 : Smell of Ash

Dragons in Dungeons

Her eyelids tingle with warmth from the sun. She wiggles her fingers and shuffles under her blanket. Finally, her eyes flutter open to meet with the sunlight beaming through the window. Kieun reaches over to her side, but doesn't feel the table that's usually in front of her. Strange. The blanket is unusually soft, too. Maybe her brother washed it for her? Doubtful. Is it usually this bright? Actually, come to think of it, she has a curtain over her window for this specific reason. When did she get rid of them?

Her body propels forward abruptly and she shoves the blankets off her body. As soon as her feet make contact with the cold, stone floor, her eyes widen with realization. She goes to the window and looks outside. Straw roofs, women in antiquated dresses, wheelbarrows full of crop. Even Jungkook is down there talking with someone at the door. Frantically, she grabs the curtains and flings them over the windows.

Chest heaving, she leans against the wall. The room is small with oak walls and oak beams on the roof. It has a strange scent of ash, saltwater, and wet pebbles. In a way, it's comforting to her. Jin probably casts spells in here at times along with J-Hope sharpening his arrows.

Speaking of the devil, the door to the room creaks open and J-Hope pops his head in. He grins upon seeing Kieun awake.

"Oh! Good. I see you're awake." J-Hope enters the room fully and starts picking up her blankets. "How did you sleep?" She doesn't respond. He looks at her in worry and that only becomes worse when he notices her unresponsive state. "Kieun?"

"This is real..."

"What's real, Kieun?" She gets off the wall and gets close to him, touching his robes.

"This world. This room. This floor. This bed. You." Her voice is low and she looks up at him with frustration. None of the events yesterday were a dream. She sits on the bed. The archer sighs a deep, uncharacteristic sigh.

"This is a real world. Not just a game world. I'm real and you're real." He places a hand on his chest to prove his point.

"How did I get from my world to this world? I'm still so shocked."

"You seem pretty calm," J-Hope chuckles.

"I haven't fully realized my problem. But I'm glad I have people taking care of me." She says it aloud, but it's more for herself than J-Hope.

His eyes close as the smile reaches his whole essence. A comfortable silence passes between them. "I'm sorry for leaving you with your words in your mouth, but I have some business I need to take care of." He gets off the bed and she nods as he makes his leave. The door clicks softly. She looks around for her pig, but he's nowhere to be found. Looking down, she grabs the cloth around her legs. It's a new garment, surely from this world. How will she get home, she asks herself. Can RapMonster help her? The sound of creaking alerts her to someone's presence.

"Sorry. Hyung wanted me to bring this to you," Jimin murmurs to her as he slowly comes in the room. His hair is slightly unruly; he probably just woke up. It's a note written in huge, round characters. She glances over it quickly and balls it up.

'Me, NamJoon, Jin, Suga, V are going on errands. Jibang is with V. Take care please. We will be back soon.

Smiling Hobie'

It puts a smile on her face. Jimin smiles and takes the note back as she hands it to him.

"..." Kieun looks down, hands in her lap.

"What?"

"I promise when everyone gets back I'll say the whole truth," she tells him with determination. Jimin smiles. He's had the wrong impression of her all along. She isn't a dishonest girl, she's a scared girl.

"J-Hope already told us and that's why we're leaving bright and early today. We need to go to the next town to find-"

The door slams against the wall and the smell of sulfur and smoke wafts into her nose. Jungkook is standing there with an alarmed expression.

"Jung-"

"The town is being attacked by demon dogs!" Jimin's eyes widen and suddenly narrow. Kieun gets off the bed abruptly, her heartbeat accelerating.

"What?!"

"Let's pack up the essentials and go! We have little time!" The younger member bursts out of the room. Jimin turns to Kieun with an indescribable fire in his gaze.

"Kieun, from this point forward, you will listen to everything I say," Jimin commands. His tone catches her off guard. 

"Excuse me?!" He notices her displeasure and quickly rectifies his words, "For your safety. Please. I don't want you to get hurt." Again- as if it was anything new -his kindness catches her off guard.

"Alright."

"Follow me. And quickly." They both leave her and J-Hope's room and walk downstairs where the smoke is thicker. He coughs through the smoke. In a of genius, he takes off his scarf and gives to Kieun. "Cover your nose and mouth." She does as she's told obediently. Jimin carefully opens the outside door, but is suddenly attacked by a demon mutt. Kieun gasps and backs away from it quickly. Unfortunately for both of them, Jimin doesn't have his hammer on him.

"Kieun!" She's roused from her shock. "Run out of here while I distract it!" The dog growls and instantly lunges for Jimin's neck. He elbows the beast before it can land its hit. Despite promising to listen to his every order, she isn't going to leave him here to be injured or worse: die. Glancing around the room, she spots one of Suga's books on the table. She runs over to it and shoves the book open, but to her total dismay, she can't read it.

"KIEUN!" Jimin is angry that she isn't listening to him. With a frustrated growl, she slams it closed and the dog stops attacking Jimin, perking its ears up. It glares in her direction. The gears in her brain start moving. Is it...sensitive to sound? It jumps over Jimin and toward her. "KIEUN!" Stopping its movement instantly, it returns to Jimin.

"Jimin! Don't you get it?!" She takes Suga's book and with what little strength she has, throws it away from her and Jimin. The demon dog runs to the sound. Jimin places a hand over his mouth to stop his labored breathing. Jungkook comes running down the steps with bags and backpacks along with clinking armor. Jimin instantly places a finger to his lips, but it doesn't stop the demon dog's keen hearing. It runs toward Jungkook. Her adrenaline is at an all-time high and before it can land a bite on Jungkook, Kieun tackles the dog.

The dog shakes her off and she falls on her bottom. It lunges and bites her calf, making her screech in agony. It's not a normal animal bite; it's as if she's been stung by a hundred wasps.

"JIMIN!" Jungkook throws Jimin's hammer toward him. He catches it with ease and the warrior sprints forward and swings his hammer like a baseball bat, launching the wolf across the room. It stops moving when it hits the wall. The members are instantly at Kieun's side, who is paralyzed with agony.

"What did I tell you?!" Jimin yells at her, but he feels regret soon afterward, knowing that she probably saved both of them. If anything, he's guilty he wasn't capable enough to take care of the beast himself.

"Now's not the time, Hyung!" The knight reminds him. "Carry her and I'll take care of everything else."

"Can you really take all of that?!"

"Are you doubting me ri-"

"GUYS!" She screams at them. They're brought out of their bickering

"Yes, now let's go before anything else bad happens!" A sharp, electric pain shoots up her leg and she feels her whole body shaking.

"She's going through a nerve shock," Jimin comments as he gently picks her up. He cradles her in his arms with as much care and gentleness as he can muster. She still feels the pain and she's lightheaded, but restless at the same time. Jungkook runs out of the guild with Jimin following. Every step makes her pain worse.

"Let's go through the forest!"

"What?! RapMonster prohibited it!" Jungkook protests.

"What's more dangerous, a forest or the demon dogs overrunning the town?!" The younger member says nothing and makes a turn, most likely leading to the forest. They reach the edge of town where there is a tall and ominous forest. Jungkook gulps. Instantly, the noise and chaos of the town is drowned out.

There's almost an uncomfortable silence with the exception of Kieun's whimpers of pain. She starts sweating and experiencing more shaking.

"I can't look at her look this. I'm sure there should be some aloe vera in this forest... I'll look ahead. If we get far apart, I'll send off a flare," Jungkook explains as his fingers spark with some sort of light magic. Jimin nods weakly. The knight disappears into the distance. He continues walking with Kieun in his arms, who is quickly falling asleep from mental and physical exhaustion.

"I'm so sorry, Kieun. I'm not strong enough. I'm so useless. Forgive me..."

 


She hisses and squeezes her eyes shut. The aloe vera brings her relief, but now she's itchy, too. Jimin hasn't stopped frowning since the moment they left the guild. He's treating her wounds carefully, but every time she winces, he flinches. Kieun wishes he would stop blaming himself for her injury. Taking a deep breath, he looks off into the distance.

After he found the aloe vera, Jungkook went to look for some poppy to help kill the pain. It's amazing that milk of the poppy is a real medicine and not just something made up in Dame of Gnomes. Soon, her pain should be mild enough that she can limp, a big improvement from how she is now.

"Do you mind if I blow on it?" Jimin looks into her eyes, which shoot open upon hearing this. Kieun can't tell if she's getting hot from the pain or the weirdness of his words.

"Ahh...What?"

"I'll be gentle. It will make you feel better," he assures with his eyebrows knit together.

"Alright, Weirdo." Nodding tentatively, she extends her leg. He picks it up and watches her reaction: a mix of pain and embarrassment. Jimin blows on her wound softly. It cools the stinging sensation and dries the aloe vera quicker.

"That actually is helping. Thanks..."

"I'm glad," he says. His frown is replaced by a smile. She feels better knowing she brightens his mood.

"You're Jimin the Warrior of BTS. That's a big title. It's perfect for you, just not the warrior part," she teases. He laughs, but plays into her teasing.

"What do you mean it doesn't fit me? I am a warrior!" Giggling, she rolls her eyes as he continues his 'treatment'. The boy's eyes sparkle with happiness. It's more pleasant to see his joy. He's similar to a happy lamb.

"You're a little too cute to be a warrior." Kieun laughs at his surprised reaction.

"Cute? You wish! I'm manly," he retorts. She continues laughing. "Don't laugh!" For a while, she forgets her pain. The two feel at ease despite the hardship they both just went through.

Jungkook finally returns with a handful of poppies. Jimin gently- but quickly -puts down her leg. Kieun snickers; he probably feels embarrassed. The younger member smiles when he notices Kieun is significantly better. His boots crunch on a few dry leaves.

"...How do you feel?" He asks as he begins soaking the seeds in a flask they brought. Luckily, they have enough fresh water to soak the seeds.

"Like I hate my life." She mumbles, "Why does this happen to me..." 

"Because you're careless," Jimin tells her. 

"Be thankful," is her sarcastic reply. He doesn't say anything after that. Jungkook bends down and looks over the puncture wounds. Suddenly, Jimin stands up and monitors the seeds' progress, being reminded of the problem at hand.

"It's really bad. I'm just glad it bit your leg and not your organs," Jimin says as he watches the seeds. Jungkook agrees. Her skin becomes pale as a cold sweat runs over her whole body. Just imagining the possibilities makes her sick to her stomach. The maknae can tell just by looking at her expression that she's uncomfortable.

"How long does this soak?" Jungkook changes the subject.

"Usually two days-"

"Huh?!"

"Don't worry. We're not going to let it soak for that long. An hour should be enough to make it less painful. When we get somewhere safe, we can do it right," Jimin explains.

"I wish Jin was here..." Kieun sighs and lies down. The two boys nod their head and hum in agreement.