Prologue : A Game, A Fight, A New World

Dragons in Dungeons

Kieun smiles as Jibang squeaks and jumps off one couch only to hop on the other. The scary and powerful vacuum scares him. It drowns out all the noise in the home, including her younger brother's frustrated yelling. At the thought, she sighs. Ever since she bought him that game for his birthday a week ago, he hasn't stopped playing. Sometimes she has to remind him to eat.

"Useless kid..."

Shutting off the vacuum, she yanks the cord out of the outlet to move on to the next part of the apartment with a stomp. Before she can begin, she hears her brother yelling.

"NOONA!"

"Yes?" She walks into his room. He has his eyes glued to the monitor. It's probably not healthy to be in a dark room staring at such a bright screen.

Without taking his eyes off the screen, he tells her, "Get me a bottle of water." His tone doesn't rub her the right way.

"Excuse me? Why don't you get it yourself?" Hands on her hips, she purses her lips with a sassy expression.

"Ah, please, Noona. I don't wanna die right now," he begs after hearing her frustrated response.

"Agh you're so lucky mom and dad are forcing me to take car of you!" He doesn't even flinch. With a sigh, she goes to give him said bottle. Jibang follows, squealing along the way. Kieun looks down at him; his expression seems annoyed.

"What's wrong Bangie?" The pig shakes his rump until he finally jumps onto the counter. He sits beside an empty bag of cereal. At first, Kieun didn't understand his problem, but then she gasps. That's his cereal! It was nearly full yesterday!

Filthy freeloader...

 


She changes the channel again. Kieun hates when the elections roll around because that's all that seems to be on TV. They even cancelled her favorite Novella to do Spanish coverage of the debates! After flipping through more political channels, she stops on a cooking show; intrigued by the food they're making. Then she notices it's a roasted pig and she quickly turns off the TV before whipping her head toward Jibang.

The pig is less than amused.

"Sorry, Bangie." He oinks in protest. "Don't be so dramatic! You know I'm a Vegan!" The pig closes his eyes. "Don't be like that!"

"NOONA!" Her brother yells from within the confines of his room.

"WHAT?!" She barks.

"Come here!" With a fleeting glance toward her pet, she goes to her brother's room. There he is. Hunching over and fingers poised on his keyboard and mouse.

"Can you massage my shoulders please? They really hurt."

"Seriously?! Maybe if you stopped playing that game all the time, you wouldn't have neck pain," she chides. He makes a face and whines.

"Noona~"

"Gaeun~" she mocks.

"Please! I'm trying to level up J-Hope! He's like the hardest one!" Kieun looks at the screen. It's a brunette character with a slim figure and bow and arrow. He's bouncing around and jumping higher than humanly possible. Her brother winces when he makes a sudden move with his arm. Frowning, she scolds herself. She's feeding his obsession by doing this, but she's interested in the game.

What makes it so addicting that he wants to play it every day?

With some hesitation, she begins massaging his stiff shoulders.

"Thanks, Noona," he responds. For a couple long minutes, she watches the character shoot arrows and kill monsters. He's surrounded by other people with unique powers. Kieun doesn't understand anything, but she can't take her eyes off the screen. The game is pretty and looks fun.

Gaeun suddenly jumps and she flinches.

"Darn it!" The screen flashes the words 'failure to finish' on the screen before a text box saying 'commence' appears. He leans back in his chair.

"Did you lose?" Kieun asks, clueless.

"Yeah... Man, I was so close to getting J-Hope to level 25. Now I have battle all those imps again," he groans.

"Can you tell me what the game is about?" Surprise etches into her brother's face.

"What?"

"You're so addicted to the game. I want to know what you like about it." His eyes light up and he sits up straight and scrolls through the menus of the game. He clicks on something called 'concept art' and shows her some pictures. opens in awe.

"Well, first off, the game takes place in Darako, a huge world of fantasy creatures," he explains, flipping through some landscapes.

"Like magic? Witches and knights and all that?" He nods. "It's really pretty."

"And the characters are so cool!" Gaeun exits out of the page and goes to another one. A roster of 50+ characters shows up. She's being overwhelmed. "Well, there's so many characters, but the important ones are in a guild-- do you know what a guild is?" He quickly asks.

"Yeah. A group of people who specialize in something..." he slowly turns his head toward her, unamused.

"Nerd," he scoffs.

"No I'm not!"

"Anyway," he says, rolling his eyes. "The guild is called BTS. It stands for Brave Tactical Sentinels and they are the coolest guild in the game. There's other groups like EXO, TVXQ, whatever, but they're my favorite." He chooses a character and gets a close up of him. Strangely, Kieun finds him...good-looking.

She's going crazy, she muses. No way she finds a fictional character attractive.

"What's his name?" Gaeun doesn't notice her strange reaction.

"This one is my favorite. He's super OP. His name is Jimin and he's a warrior. You literally just spam buttons and win." Kieun nods as he picks another one. "This one is Suga. He has really flashy and cool moves. He's really slow, though."

"Is he a magic one?"

"Yeah. RapMonster is too," he states as he clicks on a tall character. This one looks like the strongest one, but she can't think much about it as he then clicks on another one with all white clothing. "And Jin." Jin is the most attractive character. Kieun feels bad for thinking this way, but she can't help it.

"I like V a lot, too. He uses guns." This one has a pink coat. It's pretty.

"Wait. Guns? I thought this was a fantasy game?" Gaeun laughs.

"That's why I like him! He doesn't care about logic." It's almost as if they all have personalities. He clicks on one with a bright smile. She recognizes this one.

"Is this J-Hope?"

"Yeah. I was using him earlier. I don't like him. He's hard to play even though he looks super easy." Gaeun explains as he exits his page and moves to another one.

"Which one is this one?"

"He's the Jungkook the knight. He's good at everything, but not as strong as Jimin." Kieun nods. She gasps and has to do a double take. For a moment, she swears Jungkook smiled at her.

"I think I need to sleep..." Kieun stands up and leaves Gaeun to stare at her.

"Weirdo."

 


"GAEUN!" She stomps through the apartment, Jibang in her arms. Said boy yells right back.

"WHAT?!" Anger coming off her in waves as she glares at his computer screen. That's Jimin the war-- she whips her head back towards her brother. She has a mission; she can't be distracted!

"Explain why I bought cereal for Jibang yesterday and it's empty again!"

"I ate it. Obvio-- oh fu- okay," he panics before going back to normal. "Obviously."

"He needs his cereal!" Kieun insists, frustrated with her brother's indifferent attitude.

"He's just a pig, Noona."

"Just a pig?!" Reeling in shock, she turns off his monitor, fed up. He hops from his chair abruptly, mouth agape. For a moment, there's a dead silence.

Jibang squeals and all hell breaks loose.

"YOU TURNED OFF MY MONITOR?! OH MY GOD I WAS THIS CLOSE TO BEATING THAT BOSS!" He holds his head before glaring daggers at his sister. She frowns.

"You need to stop, Gaeun. This is becoming unheal-"

"The only unhealthy thing in this house is that pig! Look how fat he is!" Said pig makes some form of a gasp. She covers his ears with her fingers, shocked.

"How can you say that?! That's so cruel!" Kieun defends her pet. The pig lifts his nose up, indignant.

"I'm so tired of you bossing me around!"

"WHAT?!" She screams, enough to make her brother flinch. He knows he's taken it too far now. "You're the one always telling me to fetch you stuff! Enough is enough, Gaeun!" With a pout, he crosses his arms, mumbling something unintelligible.

"What was that?" Kieun urges him angrily.

"I just casted a spell on you!" For a moment, she stares at him with disbelief.

"I think you may need professional attention. Seriously. Muttering incantations," she scoffs and shakes her head. The pig in her arms oinks as if laughing at him. "As if they actually work. You're ridiculous!" The teenager plops back into his chair, staring at his monitor longingly. From the corner of his eye, he sees something glowing. His eyes pop out in shock.

"NOONA!"

"What!? Not so loud!" Gaeun keeps his sarcastic comment to himself, desperately pointing at her foot.

"Look! Your foot! It's glowing!" She looks down and trips on herself, falling on her backside. It's really glowing! The light slowly makes it up the rest of her leg.

"What!? What's going on?!" Jibang oinks, jumping out of her arms, and touches the glowing spot. He starts glowing, too. Her hands are engulfed in bright whiteness and Gaeun can only look on in horror.

"It's all my fault! Oh my god what have I done?!" He walks around his room with frustration and fear.

"Gaeun! What in the world is happening to me!? What did you do?!" Kieun stands up. Her whole body with the exception of her head is bright now.

"Please just be careful! Find BTS and-" and he's cut off suddenly by a bright whiteness. The only thing that Kieun can see is white. Her head is pounding like crazy and her body feels as if someone is squeezing her to near death. Eyes wrenching shut on instinct, she grabs her head in an effort to stop the excruciating headache.

And in an instant, all the pain is gone. When she hears a familiar squeal next to her, she opens her eyes. She notices the grass and then she sees Jibang.

"Jibang? Are you okay?" He lies down on his belly and rolls his eyes.

"Don't get sassy with me!" The pig squeals. Kieun pushes herself off the ground and wipes her pants. And then she realizes that she's not in her apartment anymore. As if the expanse of grass and wildflowers didn't explain that already. Jibang gets up and starts running forward ahead of her. He rolls around the grass. is open with awe, shock, and confusion on her face.

Where in the world were they?

Oh dear...