Prelude

Sweet dreams (are made for me)

"You should really go to bed hyung, it's already past midnight." Hansol stood in the door of Jihoon's studio, looking concerned but cute in his fluffy polka-dot pajamas.

"Sure, just a few more minutes and I'm finished," came the already expected and slightly distracted response. Without looking up Jihoon continued to tap on his keyboard, ears hidden beneath massive headphones and eyes solely focused on the screen in front of him.

Hansol let out a sigh. He had to admit that he was fighting a losing battle everytime he tried to get the elder to exchange his desk with his bed, but he - as well as the rest of Seventeen - was worried about their shortest member. He returned to the living room, shaking his head at Seungcheol's lifted brow and frowned. It seemed like Jihoon would pull an all nighter - again.

 

Hearing the door close behind Hansol, Jihoon took off his headphones and leaned against the backrest of the chair with a sigh of his own. He knew that the members were worried about his messed up sleeping habits but he just couldn't help it. He needed to stay awake the longest, otherwise he would starve, as simple as that.

 

Jihoon was a dream-eater; a being that - although it appeared completely human - couldn't survive on a purely human diet. (He couldn't hide the fact that his built was slightly smaller than an average human's, but everyone knew very well not to talk about it and it wasn't that noticeable in his opinion.)

Dream-eaters were not exactly the most friendly creatures out there; they feasted on positive and pure dreams, leaving only nightmares or emptiness in their wake. Did you ever wonder why you can't remember your dreams in the morning? Well, it's certainly not because you're forgetful.

But Jihoon was working hard to not fulfill the typical dream-eater stereotype. He freely admitted that he had originally enrolled as a trainee because he had thought that upcoming idols must have plenty of delicious hopes and dreams, but unexpectedly he grew to love music and composing. Especially after he had met his new groupmates he became hesistant about eating dreams; they were all so nice to him even though he knew that he wasn't the easiest character to get along with.

So he began starving himself, only eating once or twice a week and instead stuffing his face with massive amounts of human food - but it couldn't fill the hole in his stomach, making him feel weak and sick instead.

After a few painful weeks and many concerned questions from the members (Junhui even tried to hypnotize him once to get him to rest properly) he came up with a new plan: If he couldn't eat the dreams completely, maybe he could just nibble a little on them. They were thirteen people anyway, so eating only bits and pieces of his groupmates' dreams would satisfy his hunger nonetheless.

 

Well, there were two factors he hadn't taken into consideration. One: Since he didn't eat the members' dreams anymore they could remember Jihoon appearing in them (which wasn't so strange considering they were all close, but became just a tad bit suspicious after it happened every night). Two: Seungcheol's dreams were sweeter than anything he had ever tasted before and he was clearly addicted to them.