Chapter Two (Flight or Fight)

R.I.S.E: Abnormal
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

"I sent Dara an email about our whereabouts", mom said, giving an update to my dad who seemed very focus on the road.

"Good. She must be waiting anxiously."

Dara... I feel like I heard that name before, like in the past. Dara...Dara...The Explorer! Wait that's Dora. Whoops. I wonder who this Dara happens to be. She must be someone their close to if they are telling her our whereabouts.

*Ding*

"That was a fast reply. What does it say?", dad ask as he slowly came to a stop at a red light. She handed him the phone and waited for a reaction from him. I bet that was a sneaky way of keeping me in the dark. You'll tell me once we hit the road huh?. It's already been twenty minutes. Just putting that out there.

"That'll sure will be a lot of help. It's good to have someone like her on our side, especially at times like this. We have to make sure to thank her properly this time. We wasn't exactly able to do so all those years ago."

"And I know that asking this might not get me nowhere, but for sake of just seeing if I'm wrong, what did she help you two with all those years ago? You did say once we hit the road, dad."

"Just what did you two talk about when I left the room?", mom asked anixously, looking from dad in the driver seat to me in the back.

"Uh...You know... Just some things...", dad replied trying not to walk on any landmines, meaning my mom's anger.

"Like?"

"Why we are on the run", I answered back while listening to music with it on low so I can hear everything.

"Why would you-"

"Don't you think it's time we settled this matter. Min is already sixteen. She'll be seventeen soon. Plus you know how aware she is when we try to block things from her. Apparently, she has been feeling like we have been hiding things from her for a while", dad explained.

Silence.

I didn't dare to say anything once dad finished trying to wiggle his way out of whatever trouble is heading his way. I thought I heard her swear, but the sound from the heat blasting from the air conditioner blurred whatever I thought I heard.

Trying to keep myself from thinking about all the reasons for this abrupt vacation, to wondering why my mom wanted to keep things hush hush. I decided to look at the scenery from the window since the light turned green. I didn't expect my dad to say much now with radar (mom) floating around.

It was still pretty cold since it was near the end of March. Easter was just a few days away, but I guess this holiday is pretty much invalid since this Easter will be different. I stared at the houses that looked like they needed some home improvement from them being weathered down for so many years. The trees looked especially gloomy today with the light drizzle and cold temperatures. The snow finally gave way and thank goodness for it. It makes the weather feel a lot more harsher than usually. I find snow to only be pretty early in the morning when the sun makes it sparkle and when it's coated on trees like Christmas decoration, nothing more.

Just as I was about to get bored from staring at the rain drops against the window, something like I never seen before appeared beside our car. A human. A guy at that. I expected a girl to look like some antique porcelain doll with a bunch of money she decided to save (not to do something truly meaningful with it), but to get plastic surgery. This guy... I don't think any girl could hold a candle to him. His face seems damn near flawless and his skin- It's the color of what I just said I don't enjoy as much. Snow. Is he a cyborg? It's totally unnatural.

*Smile and wink*

"Did he just have the gull to smile and wink at me? Who the hell do you think I am?", I said loud enough for my parents to hear.

"What guy? What's going on back there?", asked my dad on alert when he heard the word guy.

"Is everything alright back there?", asked mom and when I was about to point to the guy in the car, it was already ahead of us by three cars.

"N-Nothing. I thought I saw something strange, but it must have been my eyes playing tricks on me. I bet their tired from looking at the same old same old", I lied, but I don't know why I needed to.

"Well there's a fast food place right up the road. We can stop there and-"

*DDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRR!!!*

"MOM! DAD!", I screamed as the window glass on the driver side began to shatter and violently blow inside the car.

"STAY DOWN MIN!", mom yelled back while trying to duck from what sounded like bunch of small pebbles hitting the side of the car at once. "Turn this way! Hurry before too many innocent people get involved!", yelled mom to dad.

"On it!"

I crouched down as far as I could go to avoid as much broken glass and the barrage of attacks at the same time.

"Sticks and stone can break bones, but what about bullets?!", dad joked while swerving the car to my very right which made me bump my head on something.

"Bullets?! Like a gun with bullet bullets?! Like bang bang bullets?! And how can you joke at a time like this?!", I asked in complete shock still cowering in the back.

"Yes bullets! You've been at the shooting range how many times Min?", mom sarcastically replied. "The only difference is that instead of them aiming at paper, we are the targets."

"Don't forget that the type of gun it is. I only handled three kinds in my entire life and none of them sounded like a thousand sneer drums beating at the same time. It must be a Sub-Machine gun", I responded as I kept myself as low as possible so a stray doesn't hit.

"Yeah, and that's something we don't have in this car. I only managed to take a few revolvers and stash them in the glove compartment", added my dad. "We need to alert Dara at once that we're going to need back up since they're coming in heavy at the start."

"I'm on it. Go to that empty lot that no one uses anymore before they decide to riddle the rest of the car with holes", my mom commanded.

"And our bodies! Don't forget our precious bodies!", I chimed in. I can't believe at how calm they are at the fact that we might die. More importantly I can't believe how easily I jumped in the conversation. Also that name was brought up again. Dara. I have to remember that.

"I was hoping to avoid a fight like this one while we were this close to town, but they mean business this time. May get the-"

"Guns ready. I'm already on it. I suppose we have to return the favor like old times. What was the point in taking a relaxing hot bath when in the end I have to get dirty all over again?", mom complained as I heard her fill each revolver with bullets.

"We only have four so we need to be careful on how we use them", warned dad.

I hope he meant we as in them because just like how there is no I in team, there is no we either. And to think this started all over a phone call.

"Well Min... You wanted to know what that phone call was about and unfortunately you had to get this kind of reply", dad said in a cool manner.

"More or less. It still doesn't explain the why though."

"We'll have time for that later. Let's get rid of these guys before more of them pop- In Jung! Move out the way!", yelled my mom in a panic.

All of a sudden the car seemed to have grown wings and started to move weightlessly through the air. I made my way back up to my seat in time to notice that we really were flying, effortlessly or so I thought.

"Grab onto both seatbelts Min! Quickly!', instructed my dad in a rush as he grabbed his.

I immediately wrapped my legs in one seatbelt and the other my arms. Then in an instant I felt a huge jolt worst then a rollercoaster ride going straight down. The rest of windows shattered in an instant and a strong pain in my back hit me. The car came at a standstill once we made an unbelievable and rocky landing.

"Is-Is everyone...alive?", I think I heard my dad ask.

"It's a little hard to hear since my brain was taken on a very bumpy journey, but I think I'm okay", I said, fluttering my eyes open and trying to regain my equilibrium. "What the hell happen back there?"

"May are you okay?", I asked in concern.

"Let me see...Ahhh... I have broken glass all over me, I think a few places have been bruised slightly and now I'm mad. Besides that I think I should be fine with a full day rest and some painkillers", she sarcastically responded. "That guy is definitely an Abnormal, no doubt about it. There is no way someone who didn't possessed that strength could stop and throw a moving vehicle."

"A human did this...this unthinkable thing?! Are you telling me that some Joe Schmo picked up the car, along with us and tossed it like pizza?", I asked as I untangled my hands and legs free from the seatbelts.

"Except this Joe Schmo isn't some ordinary working class guy that you might happen to bump into on the streets. Did you happen to catch what he did before he flew us to the moon and back?", asked my dad to my mom.

"Yeah. An Absorbing type. So far it seems like metal or steel, but I can't be certain. Let's hope it's a weak alloy metal type and not steel. That may cause problems with the type of bullets you brought along."

"I wasn't expecting to get this deep this fast and especially not with this type of Abnormal. I thought a few of their goons would show up, not him. I have to re-think this through. Give Dara our coordinates and let her know our new problem. We are going to have to do our best until help arrive", my dad ordered as I tried to wrap my head around the conversation I'n hearing.

Absorbing what? What in the world is going on?

"Can somebody please explain to me what's going on here before my brain explodes?", I asked still in shock and even more confused.

"At the moment our lives are in danger. Take this and prepare to fight", he said then tossed a gun in my direction. "Only this time it's not a stimulation like the ones you use to have with us."

"Why is our lives in danger? Who is after us?", I questioned as I removed shards of glass off me.

"I wish we have more time to give you all the answers you seek, but as you can see that man is walking in our direction and we need to fend him off. This is not the drills that you're use to doing with us Min. This is real. So you better use everything we have taught you to stay alive. This guy might be as strong as your mother and I, may be even stronger."

"We need to engage so we can check what type of ability we are dealing with In Jung. Each

Please log in to read the full chapter