2/2

Vain Hope

When Daehyun and Youngjae wake the two don't exchange any words and they only revel in chaste kisses against one another's lips. Daehyun grins when Youngjae scrunches his nose in disgust at his morning breath and he continues kissing his lover until he's thrown off the bed.

They rise earlier than the sun does but neither of them are bothered. Youngjae collects their clothes strewn across the floors from last night and folds them neatly before putting them back in their bag.

Daehyun reaches for their shared bag of toiletries and heads into the washroom first, Youngjae finishes putting things in order before he joins him. A smile on his face when he meets Daehyun's loving eyes in the mirror.

The two complete their individual routines in sync, sharing a small face towel as they do so. Daehyun mumbles something about visiting the morning market and Youngjae hums in response.

They get dressed in comfortable wear, Daehyun clad in sweatpants and a cardigan while Youngjae wears a hoodie over his joggers. Youngjae makes sure they haven't left anything behind before they leave the small hotel room.

Daehyun pays for the night and they both wish the worker a polite goodbye before they intertwine their fingers and venture out into the early morning of Busan.

 

The market is lively in the mornings, rows and rows of fisherman having slaved away their precious hours of sleep in order to get the biggest catch of the day. The smell of salt water doesn't bother the two of them as they steadily make their way down the rows.

Daehyun stops momentarily as something catches his eye and Youngjae slows down to look over as well. What seems to have caught his eye was a large squid, of course Youngjae isn't sure what's so intriguing about it but he looks over as Daehyun smiles wryly.

"My father used to wake me up early and we'd go out on the boats. He'd tell me to reel in the shells and scoop out the octopus or squids hiding in there." he said quietly and Youngjae listened.

"One morning when I was reeling in the shells I felt something curling around my wrist. I looked down and I saw a large squid hanging on the side of the boat. I was so scared I cried for my dad to come help me." Daehyun laughed and Youngjae smiled fondly at him.

"He's too old to go fishing now but I know he misses it. I do too, he used to tell me all sorts of things when we were out on the water." Daehyun shakes his head to rid of the nostalgia and Youngjae doesn't say anything.

"You native to Busan?" the man who owns the stand calls out to them moments after Daehyun's story and the latter nods. Youngjae shakes his head since he doesn't want to fool anyone.

"Do you still remember the sunrises?" the man asks and Daehyun purses his lips in thought. After a sullen silence his expression stiffens and he shamefully shakes his head.

"The sunrise on the ocean means everything to us here. I'm sure your father felt the same way. Nothing beats watching the sky change colours as the sun comes up from the waters ahead." the man describes with an outstretched arm as though he's reliving his morning.

"The sun's rays dance on the rippled water and everything comes back to life. The world sleeps at night and the sun reminds us to wake. It's breathtaking." the man finishes speaking and he gives them both a small smile.

Youngjae returns the smile, liking the way the man's wrinkles enhance his gentle features. Daehyun seems lost in his thoughts for a moment and he hesitantly smiles back.

"Let's go to the beach love." Youngjae says to him quietly as he urges Daehyun away from the stand. The man nods at them both and they bow their farewells as they exit the market.

Youngjae leads Daehyun who lags only a millisecond behind him and they approach the numerous docks lining the shore. Daehyun then takes the lead and Youngjae patters behind him as they pass the small bundle of trees that lead to the sandy dunes.

Daehyun let's go of Youngjae's hand since he knows how excited his lover becomes the moment his toes touch the sand and he watches with utter adoration as Youngjae holds his sandals in his hand and rushes out towards the water.

Each step of his causes sand to cascade behind him and he runs with his arms spread wide, a bright smile on his beautiful face as he embraces the nature surrounding him.

"Come Daehyun." Youngjae says to him with an outstretched hand and Daehyun lays down a sheet on the sand before he places their things atop. Unlike Youngjae he dislikes sand between his toes and he keeps his sandals on as he walks towards the love of his life.

Youngjae doesn't speak another word as their fingers touch and he squats down like a child, gathering wet sand in his small palms as he begins to shape a tower of a brilliant castle.

Daehyun doesn't question him and follows suit, his calloused palms accustomed to building sandcastles from his childhood spent under the sun. He knows that if he attempts to help Youngjae with his he'll only be shoved into the water.

Youngjae was quite competitive after all.

Youngjae seems to have decided on a time limit because after he finishes he signals to Daehyun that the time is up. Daehyun leans back in the sand with a smug look on his face because his castle is obviously better than Youngjae's.

His lover does not seem satisfied by the results because he decides to drive his big toe through Daehyun's masterpiece reducing it to a pile of sand. Daehyun's jaw drops as he looks up at the mischievous smile on pretty lips and a squeak is heard before Youngjae runs away.

Daehyun doesn't hesitate to rise to his feet and he immediately breaks into a sprint after his lover. Youngjae squeals and giggles as he trips and tumbles into the waves, a grin on his face as he shoves water at Daehyun, warning him to stay away.

Daehyun wraps his arms around his lover and lifts him into the air before he walks them further into the ocean. Youngjae laughs and squirms in his arms demanding to be let go but Daehyun simply falls into the water.

Youngjae smiles widely into the kiss they share beneath the waves and Daehyun holds him close. They surface with exaggerated breaths and Youngjae wraps his legs around Daehyun's waist as he's lifted.

He places his cold hands on Daehyun's heated cheeks and smiles down lovingly when the other gives him pouty lips and a precious grin. Youngjae kisses his forehead and lets his fingers push back the strands of hair stuck to Daehyun's golden skin.

Daehyun squints as the sunlight behind Youngjae blinds him and his lover takes the hint, moving around in his arms until he successfully shades him from offensive rays. 

Youngjae laughs loudly and he throws his arms around Daehyun, snuggling against him as his chest is muddled with numerous feelings of pure joy for how much he loves him.

Daehyun returns the hug and they're hit with a strong wave that sends them both back into the water, Youngjae kisses his nose beneath the water and he moves gracefully with the currents of the ocean.

Their fingers intertwine with one another once more and they both surface with their lips sealed, smiles playing behind them.

 

After spending their day indoors at their beach house Daehyun and Youngjae lock up and make their way back towards the beach hand in hand. They're dressed lightly in loose t shirts and shorts, their hair fluffy from being washed of sea salt.

Daehyun has a blanket underneath his arm and when they stumble down towards the water he settles the sheet down on the sand and they take a seat beside one another.

Youngjae sits tall as Daehyun leans on his shoulder and plays with his fingers. Silence falls over them comfortably, mixed with the natural music of the ocean and the calming sound of their breathing.

"I felt suffocated..." Daehyun begins quietly, nuzzling his face into Youngjae's shoulder as he finally reveals what has been weighing his thoughts as of late. Youngjae nods and gestures for him to continue.

"I don't know how to explain it, but I needed to escape. I was dying in the office..." Youngjae's heard it before and even if the same words are spoken he'll always listen with the same attention.

"Daehyun, I've loved you for 6 years. There isn't anything you have to explain to me. I know you, I respect you and I understand you." Youngjae reassures him and he hears Daehyun release a relieved breath.

"I'm always prepared to leave the real world behind with you. If you need to take some time to breath and remind yourself what life is past the office, I'll be here." Youngjae kisses his temple and Daehyun shivers against him.

"I don't do this just for you, you should know how much I needed this as well. Loving you is like living and I'm so addicted." Youngjae says in a cheesy tone and Daehyun smiles shyly at him.

They don't speak another word afterwards, simply holding one another as they watch the rhythm of the waves. Daehyun feels light and lost but he knows he's been found by none other than Youngjae.

"Can you breathe?" the question comes suddenly but he was prepared for it. He meets a pair of deep brown eyes and he his lips.

"Yeah..." he answers breathlessly,

"Are you ready to go back?" Daehyun holds his breath and he can't find an answer,

"..." Youngjae's voice sounds like music in his ears,

"Daehyun?" he can't find his voice but he knows Youngjae will answer the question or him, he always does.

"Should we stay here a little longer?" he suggests and Daehyun presses a deep kiss against his lips, revelling in how much he loves this man.

"Alright, let's do that."

 

--------------------------------------

A/N

If you haven't read the lyrics to this song I strongly suggest it :D 

Sorry for taking so long but it's finally finished!

I'm incredibly proud of this one and I know it won't get any love but I feel like it's a hidden jewel in my works now ehe

Thank you everyone <3 and I'm pleasantly surprised some of you found this relaxing, I'm glad it had that effect on you ^^

- Airi