The Build-up

Yongguk Doesn't Like Pranks

Daehyun and Himchan emerged from the other room expecting a barrage of questions and accusations from their bandmates, no doubt worried about the skeletons that had been exposed from their closets. Instead they found Yongguk, Youngjae, Jongup and Zelo sprawled out on their stomachs, with coloured pencils strewn across the floor, paying no attention to the two intruders. They scribbled furiously at the work beneath them.

Himchan carefully stepped over Zelo's long legs to inspect the subject of their attention. They were colouring in Disney characters.

"Ah, seriously?" Himchan said in disbelief.

"Ignore him, ignore him," whispered Youngjae to the others.

"Where did you get the paper from?" Daehyun asked with a chuckle.

No one acknowledged him either. He looked around the room till his eyes landed on a box of crafts in the corner. The label on the box implied that it had been organised by the show.

"Ah, is this a mission?"

The silence prevailed till Daehyun became frustrated.

"Did you all plan to ignore us just now? How old are you?"

Himchan turned to face the staff.

"PD-nim, what's happening?"

The female staff member who had sent them away earlier replied.

"Whoever does the best colouring-in work gets to choose the place for today's activity."

"Ah, okay!"

Daehyun and Himchan lunged for the box, pulling out whatever they could find, and joined the art social on the floor.

"Ah, of course, Jongup-ah is colouring in Frozen," said Himchan, peering over Jongup's shoulder to see the cute print-out of Olaf in the snow.

"How does that work?" Daehyun scoffed. "It's all white!"

Jongup looked up and smiled. "White is a marriage of all the colours in the spectrum. I am using all the colours for shading and outline."

Daehyun snorted while Youngjae chided Jongup for speaking to them.

"Just so you know," Youngjae addressed Daehyun, "whatever you said in there..."

He grabbed Daehyun by the collar of his shirt.

"I will make you pay."

He let go with a rough shake and resumed his colouring. Himchan and Daehyun exchanged a knowing glance and suppressed a giggle. Daehyun assured the members that nothing damning had been said, although his inability to keep a straight face made them unwilling to believe him. Youngjae vowed to hold nothing back in his session of B.A.P's Closet the next day. Of course, Daehyun and Himchan knew that there would be no such thing.

The subject was eventually dropped and chatter resumed comfortably.

"Where do you all want to go if you win?" Yongguk asked. 

Zelo threw his hand in the air. "I want to go to a club!"

Himchan's eyes widened at the maknae's suggestion. "At 11 in the morning?" He asked.

Zelo sheepishly lowered his hand.

"I want to go to the indoor ice rink," said Jongup.

Oh, me too!" Zelo threw his hand back up in the air.

Daehyun grinned at the thought.

"Of course Olaf wants to go to the ice rink."

The group carried on with their ponderings until it was time to announce a winner. Yongguk's rendering of Sleeping Beauty and Zelo's Princess Jasmine earned praise from the staff while Daehyun's rushed colouring job of Mufasa and Himchan's of Snow White were given points for effort. Youngjae had gone for an artful approach to the Little Mermaid that gave Ariel green hair and a red tail, confusing everyone else more than intriguing them. It finally came down to a vote amongst the B.A.P members for whose colouring-in was the best.

"Can I vote for myself?" Asked Daehyun.

"Yeh, I want to vote for mine because it is the best. It has originality," said Youngjae.

The staff forbade them to vote for themselves so they reluctantly gave their vote to Jongup who won by four to two.

"I think you all just wanted to go to the ice rink," said Himchan, disapprovingly. He would have preferred to go to a nice restaurant or to the cinema.

But Jongup was smiling so hard like an idiot that Himchan eventually caved.

"I also had an idea," Jongup began, "that for B.A.P's next fun music video, we should go to the ice rink and skate with our fans."

The prospect earned a chorus of eager affirmations from all the members, except Daehyun, who remained silent. No one noticed but Youngjae, who was too sharp for his own good.

"Why, hyung?" Youngjae nudged him. "You don't like the idea?"

Daehyun just shrugged his shoulders.

In preparation for the prank and to maintain consistency of character, it had been agreed that Daehyun was to act awkwardly whenever the subject of B.A.P's music ventures came up in conversation. It was a subtle behavioural change that Daehyun knew Youngjae would be the one to pick up on.

"Why are you quiet?" He pressed.

Himchan casually scratched his head, feigning ignorance. He glanced at the other members who were also staring intently at Daehyun.

"It's nothing," Daehyun finally said with a smile. "I think it's a good idea. Let's go!"

The members cheered and rose from the floor, stretching their aching backs and limbs. Youngjae shook his thoughts away and cheered as well. 

The group got ready and boarded the van after receiving confirmation from the venue that their arrival would be accomodated. They were surprised to see some twenty fans already waiting for them at the entrance. They bowed their way through the crowd and went inside.

"Our fans are truly clairvoyant," Yongguk joked as he lined up behind Zelo to receive his skates.

"We should ask them how they feel about skating with us for our next video," Zelo whispered over his shoulder, earning a smile from Yongguk and a vigorous nod from Youngjae behind him. 

Zelo looked past Youngjae to smile at Daehyun but was surprised to see him staring at the floor, his eyes dark with concern. Zelo furrowed his brow, wondering what could be on Daehyun's mind, but did not press the matter. He was somewhat reassured when Daehyun caught his eye and grinned hastily, but the question remained present in the back of his mind.

The men donned their skates and took to the rink, relishing in the rush of cold air over their skin as they glided on to the ice. Jongup was a fair skater and immediately began a series of laps, nimbly and artfully dodging the other slower participants. Yongguk was one such participant who felt a jolt in his heart every time Jongup flew past him, threatening to knock him over by sheer force of wind. He stumbled through the rink till he eventually gave up and decided to make his way to the wall for support.

"I'm too old for this," he muttered bitterly to himself.

Himchan and Daehyun casually skated apart from each other until they were convinced that the others weren't looking. They then waded over to meet each other at one side of the rink where the PD manager had set up camp with half the camera crew.

"How is my acting?" Asked Daehyun, proudly.

"I was impressed," Himchan answered for him. "Very masterful expressions."

"Youngjae has expressed his concerns already," the PD manager said.

"Really?" Himchan and Daehyun exclaimed in unison.

"Yes. He said to us on camera, 'Daehyun is acting weird. I don't know why.' So you have to ease off a little bit. It is too sudden."

"Ah."

Daehyun was disappointed in receiving such an underwhelming review of his performance but agreed to be less obvious for the rest of the day. 

"They might suspect me if I keep talking to you privately like this," said Himchan. "They'll sense it before it even starts."

With that, he skated away from the crew to find Jongup and Yongguk resting against the wall on the far end of the rink, talking to a lone cameraman.

He managed to catch the end of their conversation.

"...just tired," Yongguk finished.

"Or he is stressed," added Jongup.

"Jongup-ah!" Himchan let himself slam into the wall, startling his bandmates. "Bbang! Do you want ice-cream?" He asked sweetly.

Yongguk shook his head. Himchan looked at Jongup whose expression didn't even waiver. "Are you paying?"

Himchan grimaced.

"Sure." He said through gritted teeth. "I'll pay."

Jongup laughed gleefully, exposing two charming bunny teeth, and bid goodbye to Yongguk. The cameraman followed Himchan and Jongup to the ice cream stand leaving Yongguk behind, slightly offended by the abandonment but relieved to be away from the camera.

The afternoon carried on pleasantly at the rink till the sun was ready to begin its descent. Daehyun was careful not to arouse any further suspicions and remained his usual cheery self that evening. He and Himchan gave a final video diary at the dorm away from the ears of the other members.

"It's 8pm now," Himchan whispered to the camera. "Jongup, Youngjae and Zelo are still practising, Yongguk-ah is in the studio. Yongguk says the next album will demonstrate the unity of B.A.P."

He let out a nervous giggle which Daehyun echoed. 

"I feel kind of bad," said Daehyun. "It is a serious lie we are telling."

"I know," Himchan agreed. "Are you re-thinking it?"

Daehyun took in a breath but was cut off by the staff.

"The viewers like seeing their idols become emotional," the female worker reassured him. "It is a chance to see how close you all are and what B.A.P means to each member."

Her words were sweet but her tone sounded like a warning that implied 'you have to do it whether you want to or not'.

Daehyun nodded in understanding before she continued.

"Plus, it's really funny."

When Daehyun frowned slightly, she quickly added, "the members will find it funny too... afterwards."

Himchan clapped Daehyun on the back, giving him the cue to bid the staff goodnight. The cameras were turned off and filming ceased for the day.

"You were excited before, don't worry about it now," said Himchan. "Besides, it's all comedy. It's fun."

He said it with a smile, but Daehyun sensed that he too was having doubts.