First Shot

Photograph

Click. Click. Snap. Snap. 

Yuta hummed pleasantly, the sounds of cameras snapping had become intimately familiar like that nursery rhyme his mother sang to him when he was a child. He stood up properly, stretching a bit as he surveyed his surroundings. His class had an outdoor shoot today, getting assigned to the different historical places of the university. Yuta had a specific place in mind ever since Mr. Kim had announced this shoot and getting that place meant waking up earlier than the others, which also meant one thing. 

"Got any good shots?" 
Yuta nodded, checking the pictures of the arch he had taken. "It was an easy topic and the arch looks nice especially in this type of lighting." He put the camera down, smiling at Taeyong. "Thank you for waking up early with me." 
Taeyong rolled his eyes. "You would think that since this is your class, you would be the one to set the alarm." 
"You know alarms don't work on me." Yuta smiled sheepishly. He pointed at the thermos Taeyong was carrying. "I made you coffee anyway." 
"True." Taeyong agreed easily, stepping back a bit to see the arch better. Yuta had an itch to take a picture then but he clenched his fist. He didn't take pictures of people anymore after all. The beeping of Taeyong's watch startled Yuta,his hand shooting up to the other's arm on reflex. "Oops." Taeyong chuckled, patting Yuta's hand. "I need to go. I have to talk about something for my report with Ms. Yoon." 
"Oh." Yuta nodded a bit, glancing at his professor who was checking some shots of his other classmates. "Want me to walk you to the main road?" The arch was a bit off the road in the university, a hidden jewel in the southern part of the land. It was one of the few that didn't get touched even when there was a change of owners. 
Taeyong smiled, nodding a bit. "Your professor wouldn't mind?" 
"Alright, class! Time to head back to the room. I have a special announcement regarding your final project!" Mr. Kim announced. "I've already told the other groups to head back before I lefy them and you guys are the last group." 
"Well, I guess you can't anymore." Taeyong shrugged, pulling his arm back. "See you later, Yuta." 
"Wait! You can still walk with us." Yuta frowned. 
"Your building is in the complete opposite of where I'm going." Taeyong deadpanned. "I don't want to be more tired than I have to be." 
"Yeah but..." Yuta watched as some of his classmates started heading to the direction of their building. "Let me walk you to the main road at least. I'll just catch up." 
"Mr. Kim would kill me if I made his star student late." Taeyong chuckled. "Hold this." He handed Yuta the thermos he was carrying before he started arranging his things, bringing out the clearbook with his report. He took back the thermos from Yuta, placing it in his bag. "Thanks. I really have to go. See you, okay?" 

Yuta opened his mouth to complain but Taeyong had already dashed off in the direction of the History Department. The Japanese lad had no choice but to sigh, following after the last ones of his classmates to their building. Mr. Kim gave him an unusual smile to which Yuta raised an eyebrow but the older man didn't say anything, clapping Yuta's shoulder instead. 

"It was nice to see Taeyong again." Mr. Kim commented. 
Yuta nodded. "He wanted to say hi to you but you looked busy." 
"Well, tell him my regards. And tell him it was nice to see him outside the excuse of passing your works." 
"I was sick." Yuta pouted. 
"You should be sick more so I could see that handsome face again." 
"You know,sir, I'm starting to think I became your favorite just because of Taeyong." 
"That wouldn't be completely false." Mr. Kim shrugged. "Get moving, Mr. Nakamoto. I have a very important announcement to make." 

Yuta rolled his eyes, giving his professor a curt nod before following after his classmates. He didn't like the twinkle in Mr. Kim's eyes when he had said announcement; Yuta had a bad feeling about what the assignment could be but he pushed it off his mind in favor of sending Taeyong a message. 

To: Taeyongie
Why did you run off, idiot? 
Let me know you got there safe at least
--
The Art Department was Yuta's favorite building in the university and not just because he spent most of his time there. If he would have to describe it, he would call it a beautiful mess. The building was one of the newest structures that the university had but it was designed in the classical style with some clashes with the modern styles. It was just like how Mr. Kim said art should be: forever developing while keeping its roots. 

The different majors in Art each had their own floor and Yuta loved that you could easily tell which course was staying in each floor. He noted that there were more scratches on the tiles on the first floor which must mean that there's a new project for the Sculpting Department. He peeked in one of the rooms, smiling as he saw a student staring at his block of marble, probably picturing out how to sculpt the image on his mind. 

Yuta and the rest of his class took the elevator going to the sixth floor. He let out a happy sigh as they walked along the hallways of the floor, feeling at home with the disorganized mess present here. Their professors weren't strict about keeping their area clean but none of them were intentionally messy anyway. Mr. Kim led them to the room by the end of the floor, the only classroom that they had in this floor. Photography students were few and their professors capitalized on getting them actual experience rather than just going through technicalities so the set up was alright. 

Yuta settled down on his usual spot, waiting for the rest of the class to file in as he brought out his phone to see if Taeyong had already replied. He sighed deeply when he saw that there was none but honestly, it was to be expected from the older. Taeyong was probably the only student that followed the no cellphones during class rule so Yuta and their friends had to wait a while before he got around to reply to them. 

"Is everyone here?" Mr. Kim asked as he looked around, giving a satisfactory nod as he looked around. "Alright, as all of you know, your finals are coming up and usually, we allow you to choose the subject of your exhibit. This was done to promote your own creativity, to know what you wanted to show us." He paused, taking in the positive reactions from the class before he smiled strangely. "This year, however, will be different. I will be giving you a theme for your exhibit. And the theme is something you're all familiar with. The seven deadly sins." 

The class let out different reactions when the theme was announced. Yuta himself didn't know how to feel. He knew what the seven deadly sins were but what he didn't know was how to show it on camera, especially with what he specialized in. He had a bad feeling that it was exactly what Mr. Kim wanted. 
"Alright, alright. Settle down. The exhibit is going to be in a month and the university has made a partnership with the local museum so we can hold it there. So, the stakes are high for this one. Not only is this your final exam but this might also be your chance to discover and be discovered." Mr. Kim shot them a smile, checking his watch. "I have a date and I've already said what I needed to say so you may leave. Please." 

The girls let out a giggle when Mr. Kim's dimple made its appearance, whispering amongst themselves as they left the room. Yuta lingered in his seat, waiting for all of his classmates to leave so he could talk to their professor. 

"Something wrong, Nakamoto?" Mr. Kim asked when the two of them were left alone. 
"Sir..." Yuta started, trying not to whine but finding it hard not to. "Hyung, this project. Does this mean I have to take pictures of people?" 
Mr. Kim chuckled. "You only call me hyung when you need something." He sighed a bit before nodding. "Yeah, you need to take pictures of people portraying those sins. You know, unless you could find a way for nature and inanimate objects to show, let's say, lust." 
"And if I could find a way?" Yuta asked, gripping onto that small hope. He had no idea if he could actually pull it off but he was willing to try. 
"No." Mr. Kim said with finality. "Yuta, I know this project is going to become a challenge to you. It was the reason why I took the idea when it was suggested. You are a great landscape photographer but I've also seen some of your old works, when you still took pictures of people and those were great as well. I don't want you to limit yourself to only one subject especially at a young age." 

Yuta froze, knowing that it was pointless to argue especially since Mr. Kim knew what he was talking about. Yuta remembered that picture he had taken two years ago. It was one of his last ones witb people in it and it was still in one of mini galleries of this building, no matter how many times Yuta insisted that it should be taken down. He let out another sigh, knowing that this was a lost battle as well. 

"Okay then. I'll think of something." Yuta muttered. 
Mr. Kim smiled, nodding at him. "You can ask for your friend's help if you really want to. Ji Hansol? I think he can give you a few tips. Well..." There was that glimmer in his eyes again. "If Taeyong would allow it,anyway." 
Before Taeyong could ask him what he meant, Mr. Kim had already turned and left,leaving Yuta in a confused mess all alone in the room. 

To:Taeyongie
I think Myungsoo hyung hates me :( 
--
From: Taeyongie 
No one could hate you more than Mr. Cho though

Yuta snorted, ducking around the different people in the hallways as his last class for the day ended. Taeyong had sent the message an hour ago, probably while the older was walking to his Economics class. The image of Taeyong bumping into random people while sending out this message made Yuta smile. Even the text itself actually made him feel even better though most people wouldn't be comforted by it. 

To: Taeyongie
That is sadly true
Thanks c: 
Omw to lunch! 

Yuta hummed as he walked along the university grounds. It was already late in the afternoon and he was starving but he wasn't in a rush. Taeyong had cooked up a full breakfast for him, knowing that Yuta would finish late. The Japanese lad felt himself smile at how caring his roommate was. He had really lucked out on Taeyong. 

"Welcome!" 

Yuta sighed happily as he walked into his favorite cafe. Seventh Sense had become a home to him, as well as to his group of friends. It was their go to place whenever they were bored, hungry or just missed each other's company. 
Another thing that Yuta loved about it was how cozy it felt. He had been to numerous cafes but none of them felt as warm and inviting as Seventh Sense was. Maybe it was its huge windows, making the natural light from the outside flood in or maybe it was the earthy tones of its furniture and walls? Whatever it was, it never failed to make Yuta feel right at home. 

"Yuta hyung, hi!" 
Yuta smiled, walking up to the counter. "Hey, Doyoung. Since when did you work here? Aren't you becoming to clingy to Jaehyun?" 
Doyoung blushed, shaking his head. "I'm only here cause Jae is sick. He wanted me to go to class so I figured I could cover his shift for him too." 
"How come you're not taking care of him though?" 
"Ugh, he didn't want me to miss classes especially since I have a mock exam later on." Doyoung pouted. "He's so unreasonable." 
"I think he's just being a thoughtful boyfriend, Doyoung." Yuta smiled, patting his shoulder. "Anyway, I'll have pork katsudon today and a bottle of Coke." 
"You should really try this cafe's you know, cafe suited menu. You always eat rice meals here." Doyoung stated, taking Yuta's money before writing the older's order, hanging it on the window for the kitchen. 
"I do eat those. Just whenever you aren't here." Yuta retorted, pulling up a chair to the counter. It was a slow day, a few students lingered here and there but the place wasn't even half packed so the manager wouldn't mind if he hang out here. 
Doyoung raised an eyebrow. "Really? Who were you with then?"
"Taeyongie." Yuta replied, feeling his phone vibrate. His lips stretched into a smile when he saw that he had a message. "Speak of the devil..." 

From: Taeyongie
Enjoy your late lunch c: 
Say hi to jaehyun for me!

Yuta tapped out a quick okay before pocketing his phone. Doyoung soon arrived with his order and the Japanese lad began to dig in. It was a little unnerving though; Doyoung kept on staring at him and Yuta was beginning to lose his appetite under the scrutiny. 

"Did you want something?" Yuta finally asked, putting his chopsticks down for a while as he opened his Coke. 
Doyoung smiled sheepishly. "I was just... wondering." 
"About what?" 
"Uhm, you and Taeyong hyung?" 
Yuta blinked before returning to his meal. Doyoung was still watching him, looking even more curious than before. The Japanese lad drank some coke before turning to the younger. "Taeyong isn't here because he has Economics right now. I don't know why he chose to spend three hours for it when he could have spread it over the rest of the week but it's his life, I guess." 
Doyoung nodded slowly, mouth opening as he took in the words Yuta was saying. "Ah... but that wasn't what I meant?"
"Hm? Then what is it?" Yuta asked, finishing up his meal. He swallowed before speaking again. "Tae says hi, by the way. Well, it was for Jaehyun so just pass it along." 
"Okay." Doyoung said, sounding very tired and defeated. "I'm so close to giving up on the two of you, I swear." 
"I don't get what you mean?" Yuta said, sounding very confused. He gave the menu a cursory glance before his eyes went back to Doyoung. "What's today's specialty?" 
"Roast beef sandwich topped with ham, why? Are you still hungry, hyung?" Doyoung asked, raising an eyebrow. 
Yuta shook his head, bringing out his wallet and taking enough to pay for the sandwich. "One order for takeout please. I'm bringing it to Tae. He must be starving by now." 

Doyoung grumbled under his breath as he prepared the order. Yuta ignored him, finishing his lunch while looking up some ideas for his project. He still wasn't sure on how to do this. Maybe he really did have to ask Hansol for help on this one. Yuta sighed deeply. 

"Does Hansol hyung have a shift today?" Yuta asked as he placed his phone on the table. 
Doyoung pursed his lips. "Let me check." He ducked in the back room for employees only, coming back a minute later, nodding. "Yeah but it's later in the evening. Why'd you ask?" 
"I think I might need help for a project." Yuta replied. "Evening huh? I wonder if I can lure Taeyong out then." He went back to his phone, checking his copy of Taeyong's schedule. "Well, I guess I'll have to act cute if he doesn't want to." 
"Taeyong hyung always says yes to you." Doyoung sighed again. "Anyway, Jae's shift is done so I'm headed for class. What about you?"
"Oh." Yuta glanced at his phone. "I'll walk with you there. Taeyong's class just ended so I can give him his food." 

Yuta took the sandwich Doyoung prepared, placing it in his bag as he waited for the younger to tell the manager that he was leaving before the two of them bounded off. It was nice seeing Doyoung like this; the younger had always made Yuta feel lighter because of his amusing nature and today wasn't an exception. 

"Seven sins huh? Why don't you just take pictures of people actually doing the sin? I remember you being really good at capturing emotions like that." Doyoung suggested after Yuta had told him about his project. 
Yuta sighed, fiddling with the strap of his bag. "I don't know. Doesn't that seem a little intrusive?" He wrinkled his nose. "Not to mention the fact that I don't want to take a picture of someone doing it for lust." 
Doyoung blushed, the idea probably having not crossed his mind yet. "Okay, probably not that sin then. But the others? It's worth a shot, right?" 

Yuta shrugged, taking the idea into consideration. Before he could come up with something to say, someone bumped into him. Yuta was about to rant about rude people when a familiar pair of doe eyes met his. 

"Taeyong hyung!" Doyoung greeted, hugging the older. 
"Hi, Doyoung. I haven't seen you in a while." Taeyong answered back, returning the hug. 
"Ah, I always had classes whenever you and Jaehyun hang out at our place." Doyoung explained. "I'm on my way over to a class right now actually." 
"Oh? And Yuta's walking you there huh? That's sweet." Taeyong said, glancing at the Japanese lad. 
Yuta rolled his eyes, opening his bag to grab the sandwich. "I came with him so I can give you this, idiot. Seriously, why you accepted a 3 hour boring class is beyond me." 
Taeyong laughed, taking the sandwich. "I still don't get why you're so mad about it." He winked at Doyoung. "He blames Economics for the fact that I'm skinny."
"Well, you are." Yuta huffed, closing his bag. "Anyway, I'm off to take pictures of people. Maybe it'll do me good." 
"Oh, bye, hyung!" Doyoung waved. 
"I'll be tutoring Jeno and Jaemin so I don't know what time I'll be home." Taeyong said, lightly fixing Yuta's hair. "And did you just say pictures of people? Really?"
"I'll explain later." Yuta smiled, ruffling Taeyong's hair. "Text me where the three of you will be, okay?" 

Taeyong nodded, waving as Yuta walked off. Doyoung watched the two of them, fondess and exasperation evident in his eyes. The older turned towards him, feeling the gaze Doyoung was sending him. 

"What is it?" Taeyong asked. 
Doyoung sighed deeply. "Nothing. The two of you make my head and heart hurt." 
--
Yuta squinted his eyes as he watched the sun set. He hadn't noticed the passing of time, too busy trying to get back the hang of taking pictures of people again. He wasn't sure how he was faring so far. A part of him knew that the shots he had taken today were okay; you could never fully lose your touch into something you once loved after all. But that was also the thing. Yuta didn't want it to just be okay. He wanted something more than that and he wondered why it was becoming so difficult to do so. Not taking pictures of people was his choice after all; it should be easy to get back into things. It somehow just wasn't. 

He sighed deeply, taking a seat on one of the benches in the park. A few children were playing around him, the setting sun acting as their backdrop. Without thinking about it, Yuta snapped a picture and even without looking, he knew that it was the best one he had taken today. Another sigh escaped his lips before he decided on checking the pictures he had from earlier. He smiled softly as he looked at his most recent shot, the silhouettes of the children looked alive and happy. It was a good shot. 

It was more than what Yuta could say for the other pictures though. Following what Doyoung had said, he tried walking around while looking for the sins being brought to life. It was a little unnerving, to say the least. Yuta had taken a lot of pictures showing anger and it somehow felt wrong. He pushed on though and found that there was an eat off at one of the local restaurants. He'd met some of his classmates there to which he waved at. Well, it was gluttony in action for sure. A part of Yuta wanted to leave once the others started taking pictures. He didn't like sharing the same subject for his projects. But at the same time, he knew that it was a good opportunity. After a few shots though, he left the building without so much as a goodbye. 

Leaning his head back against the bench, Yuta let out a soft curse. He wasn't going to get anywhere with his current attitude and mindset. At the same time, he knew that he couldn't just change all of a sudden for this. It was all very stressful for him. 

He was about to call Taeyong to rant, complain, whine or all three when he noticed that he had a  message from the older. 

From: Taeyongie
:(
:(
:( :( :( :( 

To: Taeyongie
What's wrong? 
That's a lot of sad faces

From: Taeyongie
Jaemin and jeno aren't paying attention to me :(( 

Yuta chuckled, quickly packing up his things. Taeyong should have known better than to volunteer tutoring those two after all. 

To: Taeyongie
Omw c: 
7th sense?

From: Taeyongie
My hero ♡ 
--
"Yuta hyung!" Excited voices chorused the moment Yuta walked into Seventh Sense. Jaemin and Jeno were waving at him excitedly. 
Yuta smiled, making his way over to them. "Hi. You both look happy to see me." 
"That's because Taeyongie hyung will be happy once you're here." Jaemin said. 
Jeno nodded. "He's been very grumpy at us." 
"That's because the two of you don't listen to me." Taeyong said, patting Yuta's shoulder. "Hey. I ordered our regular." 
"Mhm, thanks." Yuta smiled, patting Taeyong's hand. He glanced around for an empty table, nodding towards it when he spotted one. "Come on, Jaemin. I'm tutoring you." 
Jaemin pouted. "Why? I want to study with Jeno!"
"Because you don't pay attention to anything but Jeno when you're together." Yuta rolled his eyes. "Come on. I'll buy you the brownies you like so much if you do well." 

Jaemin grumbled but complied, transferring his things to the other table. Yuta laughed at the disgruntled look on the younger's face but it was worth it when he saw the grateful look that Taeyong sent him. Ruffling Jeno's hair, Yuta headed to where Jaemin was and started their tutor session. 

Yuta found it hard to concentrate on teaching Jaemin. They were both obviously distracted. Jaemin kept sneaking glances at Jeno and Yuta was tired from all the walking that he had done earlier and his gaze kept drifting across the cafe. With a sigh, he let his eyes settle on Jeno and Taeyong. Jeno was a good student when he was apart from Jaemin. He was focused on whatever Taeyong was saying and the look of utter concentration on his face made Yuta smile. 

"Stare a bit harder, why don't you?" Hansol appeared in front of Yuta, covering his view of the two. He placed two sandwiches on the table, along with the strawberry shake that Jaemin liked. 
Yuta grumbled. "Jeno looked cute while concentrating." 
"I'm pretty sure you weren't staring at Jeno but whatever helps you sleep at night, Nakamoto." Hansol shrugged. 
Jaemin made a face at them. "Are the two of you flirting with each other in front of me?"
Hansol chuckled, ruffling Jaemin's hair. "Hyung isn't making that mistake again so don't worry." He smiled before glancing at Yuta. "Doyoung texted me. Said you were looking for me? What's up?" 
"Just... Mr. Kim announced our final project earlier." Yuta said uncomfortably. 
Hansol rolled his eyes. "Let me guess, does it involve taking pictures of people?" When Yuta didn't answer, Hansol kicked the leg of the chair Yuta was sitting on. "How am I supposed to help when you don't want to answer me?" 
Yuta groaned, moving his chair back. "I wasn't asking for your help." 
"Still so stubborn." Hansol grumbled. "I'm still giving you advice anyway. Just... do it comfortably. A frustrated photographer could be seen in his pictures." 

Yuta nodded, having heard the saying from Hansol before. Hansol sighed deeply, leaving Jaemin alone with Yuta again. Jaemin was staring at Yuta, obviously curious and reading deeper into the situation than was necessary. Jaemin had always been a little too nosy for his own good. 

"It's not what you think it is, Jaemin." Yuta sighed. 
Jaemin shrugged. "I still don't get why you and Hansol hyung broke up. The two of you get along well plus you're both into photography. What's missing then?" 

Yuta sighed again, remembering the reason that Hansol had given him. The two of them never made it clear to their friends why decided to end things between them but that was Hansol's choice, not Yuta's. Even so, it wasn't like Yuta could explain things either.

"It's complicated, Jaemin." Yuta settled for that explanation. 

Just as Jaemin was about to reply, Taeyong let out a loud yawn, getting the attention of the people nearby. Yuta chuckled when he saw his roommate blush, covering his face with his hands. It was adorable. Jeno was laughing softly, patting Taeyong's back. 

"I think study time is over." Yuta grinned, getting up to head over to the other table. He took a seat beside Taeyong, leaning his head on the older's shoulder. "Someone's sleepy." 
Taeyong removed his hands from his face, cheeks still tinted pink as he glared down at Yuta. "I wonder who's fault that is." 
Yuta laughed, nodding. "Okay, fair enough." He looked at Jeno. "I think you and Jaemin should go home. I don't think Tae could teach you anymore." 
Jeno nodded, getting his stuff. "I'll text Amber noona to pick us up. Uhm, I'll go wait with Nana over there then." He bowed slightly. "Thanks for teaching me, Taeyongie hyung." 
"Sure thing. I'm sorry we couldn't finish it." Taeyong said, yawning softly as he moved closer to Yuta. 

Jeno shook his head before heading towards Jaemin. Yuta hummed, lightly tapping Taeyong's thigh as the older leaned down to put his head on Yuta's shoulder. The two of them just stayed like that and the Japanese lad thought that Taeyong had already fallen asleep. Yuta didn't mind though, scooting closer to make it more comfortable for the other as he let his mind drift off. 

"Shut up, Yuta." Taeyong mumbled. 
Yuta chuckled. "Thought you were asleep. Besides, I didn't say anything."
"I could hear your thoughts though. What's wrong?" 
Yuta smiled, nuzzling the crown of Taeyong's head. "You can always read me so well." 
"Yeah now tell me what's up. Does it have anything to do with what you were talking with Hansol hyung?" 
"Yeah, Myungsoo hyung announced what our final project is and it involves taking pictures of people." Yuta groaned. "I tried asking if I could show it in another way but apparently, I can't. He wanted me to ask help from Hansol hyung but..." 
"But you're being a kid and don't want to." Taeyong finished for him. He sighed when Yuta didn't reply. "Hmm, well, I could... uh, help you if you want? I could model for a few shots if you wanted." 

Yuta pulled back suddenly, hand catching Taeyong's head before it could fall as he took a good look on the other. Just like Yuta had expected, Taeyong was blushing again but there was also a determined glint in his eyes and the Japanese lad knew that the older was serious. Yuta had forgotten how Taeyong was forced to model by Myungsoo, his roommate's cousin when there was no one else available. Those shoots always ended up as one of Yuta's favorites. 

"Please, Yuta? I really want to help." Taeyong pouted. 
Yuta swallowed, getting drowned into the other's eyes again. "Y-yeah, sure. I mean, okay. If that's what you want."
Taeyong grinned, his whole face lighting up. "I look forward to modelling with you then, Photographer Nakamoto." 
~
A.N: this took much longer than i anticipated. i'm sorry for that. ♡♡ well, here's the first chapter. Tell me what you think? <3 

Oh and i just wanted to share how worried I was when Yuta wasn't there for NCT 127's Jeju performance. T.T a whole bunch of rumors came out as to why he wasn't there but it turns out he was shooting something in Bali. It's a variety show with CLC's Sorn. Let us keep calm cause they're just siblings there. Haha anyway. Leave me a comment please? Thank you!! xx