Eavesdropping Eagle worries and wonders

Of Yodas and Squirrels
Please log in to read the full chapter

Dahyun shifted uncomfortably in her seat. All throughout the car ride, she had felt something stifling and uncomfortable within the atmosphere.

          Mina and Chaeyoung were in the first row, scrolling through their phones. Occasionally laughing and pointing out something funny they see to each other. Jihyo, Nayeon, and Momo were sleeping soundly at the back row. And Dahyun sat there, smack-dab in the middle row, with Sana and Tzuyu.

          Tzuyu was at Dahyun’s left, looking quietly out the window, not making a sound. Sana was doing the same at her right. The rapper sensed that the cause of the car’s awkward atmosphere came from the two beside her.

          “Byouya?” Chaeyoung had asked a while back, turning around to look at the other TWICE members, “are you two fighting?” Dahyun had laughed at her friend’s tone, eager to break the silence.

          “I’m just tired,” Tzuyu replied, smiling politely at her.

          “The scenery, it’s really interesting!” Sana quipped, while pointing at a passing bridge. Dahyun decided not to mention that it was the fifth bridge they passed. Or how Sana’s tone sounded forced, or that Tzuyu’s smile barely reached her eyes. Chaeyoung nodded slowly, looking a bit unsure, and turned back to her side. Almost immediately, the feeling came back again.

          Now passing their tenth bridge, the little dubu felt her eyelids getting heavy and herself drifting off. She managed to catch herself a few times, before completely dozing off.

          Dahyun was jarred awake the moment her forehead hit the seat in front of her. She could hear Sana and Tzuyu’s giggles at her side. She smiled sleepily.

          “Here dubu,” Sana gently said. “You can switch with me, and lean on the window.” Dahyun complied, murmuring soft words of gratitude to her unnie. She was thankful that she sat beside her. If it were Momo or Jeongyeon, they would probably film her sleeping, or play some sort of prank on her.

          Dahyun positioned herself as comfortably as she could against the window, Sana now sitting at the middle. She soon fell asleep.

          Dahyun jerked up when the car hit a road bump, the back of her head bonking painfully against the window. She frowned and leaned instead against the back of her seat, slouching. After a few moments of shuffling about, she decided on a position to comfortably sit in, and promptly closed her eyes.

          Talking began almost immediately.

          Sana and Tzuyu were conversing in whispers, and it took all of Dahyun’s willpower to not peek or lean closer to know what was going on. The rest of the car was in silence, save for the hum of the engine and the radio on in low-volume.

          “-I haven’t been avoiding you,” Sana whispered harshly. Dahyun heard her give off an exasperated sigh. “You’ve been the one avoiding me.”

`         “Fine. Maybe I was.” Tzuyu whispered back. Dahyun’s curiosity grew at the foreign tone of anger laced in her voi

Please log in to read the full chapter