Chapter Four

Love Is Not Blind

Over the following week Jinki discovered that Jonghyun was clearly passionate about music and that he refused to allow his blindness to get in the way. It was something Jinki admired; the way Jonghyun would talk enthusiastically with a bright smile on his face, hands fluttering about as he tried to explain his new arrangement to him. That enthusiasm just oozed off of him and Jinki always found himself joining in on the conversation, even if he didn't know what he was talking about most of the time. 

"Want to have lunch with me?" He asked all of a sudden one day.

"With you?"

Jinki immediately panicked. Had he sounded to pushy? "Well with my friends. I only have two really close friends and I just thought that since we're friends and we talk a lot that you'd love to meet them and..." Jinki knew he was rambling but he couldn't stop. It was something that just happened whenever he was around Jonghyun.

"Jinki." He stopped playing with the zipper of his sweater and looked up to find Jonghyun staring at him. Even though it had already been a week of being partnered with Jonghyun, it still surprised him when the other knew exactly where he was. "I'd love to join you and your friends for lunch."

"Really?"

"Of course!" Jonghyun replied giving Jinki that cheerful grin he was beginning to love. "Can Minho come along? He's really my only friend."

Only friend. Jinki ignored the slight tinge of sadness that came over him. "Absolutely. I mentioned it to him last week as well."

"Perfect. Where should we meet?"

-

"Jinki."

Startled Jinki looked towards the front of the class and was greeted by a frown. "Would you like to tell me whats so interesting outside of the class?" He shook his head, face burning as he realized that the class was staring at him. "You are one of my top students and I don't want to see that change. Please remain focused." 

He nodded as Professor Choi continued on with her lecture.

"Are you okay?" Lee Joon, one of his friends, asked. "You love this class. Why are you suddenly so distracted?"

Jinki simply shrugged. Genetics and Molecular Biology was one of the few classes he enjoyed but his mind was somewhere else. Where should we go eat later? What would Jonghyun like? 

"You're staring out the window again."

"Huh? Oh thanks."

Joon looked at him, not fully convinced he was okay before turning away. Jinki himself forced all random thoughts on his mind away. Grabbing his pen he looked at the professor and began to listen.

"To illustrate the consequences of genetic drift we will consider what happens when drift alone is altering..."

The words entered through one ear and left through the other because Jinki was already back to counting down the minutes until lunch.

-

"Will you stop moving your leg. I don't see a reason for you to be so nervous."

"Well I mean hes introducing you to his new friends, anyone would be nervous."

Taemin shot Key a glare before kicking his foot under the table. Key as always refused to lose to the younger and was quick to kick back. "Do you want to die?"

"Will you both stop? You'll scare them away." Jinki replied looking at his two friends nervously.

"Afraid we'll ruin your chances of love?"

Jinki stared Key down before looking over at Taemin. "Kick him for me will you?" All too happily Taemin complied. 

"I'll kill you." Key suddenly stood up from his seat and reached over for Taemin but was stopped by the appearance of two males.

"Hello. Are we interuptting?"

With wide eyes Jinki shoved Key back into his seat before greeting Minho and Jonghyun. "We were just waiting for you. Please excuse my friends, they're always arguing."

"Thats fine," Minho replied with a chuckle.

"We do as well from time to time," Jonghyun added with a smile. Jinki moved the seat next to him back and reached for Jonghyuns hand to help guide him. Key didn't miss the slight blush that creeped onto Jonghyun's cheeks.

Minho took the next seat in between Jonghyun and Taemin at the round table. Seeing everyone seated Jinki began introductions. "Taemin, Key meet Jonghyun and Minho." 

Jonghyun lifted his cane and waved. "Feel free to remember me as the blind but handsome guy."

Minho snorted next to him. "What makes you think you're handsome?"

"I've been told before," Jonghyun replied matter-of-factly. "Besides I doubt someone as amazing as me would be unattractive."

Minho simply rolled his eyes before turning back to the rest. "Please ignore him. Its a pleasure to meet you."

"Thats okay," Taemin replied. "Its fun to see someone battle Key as the most narssistic." Jonghyun looked towards his left and made a mental note of Taemin's voice. He guessed the next voice belonged to none other than Key. "Its not my fault I'm so good looking."

Both Jonghyun and Minho laughed as Jinki relaxed next to them. Things were going better than he expected. Although he definitely hadn't planned on them bonding over their narcissism.

"Well I may not be able to see you but I'll take your word that you're handsome."

Key beamed at the compliment. "I like you already."

They decided on sharing a pizza and as they ate Jinki looked over the group happily. Minho was busy chatting with Taemin over why he should join sports and Key was busy telling Jonghyun all about the new sales in clothes at the nearest mall. 

"We should go together," Jonghyun said turning to look at Jinki. "I may not be able to see my appearance but I still have to look my best for the rest."

If it had been Key saying it Jinki would have rolled his eyes but there was something about the way Jonghyun grabbed onto his arm and looked at him with a slight pout that made him actually want to go. "Of course. Let me know when and we'll go."

"That's Jinki for you," Key said suddenly. "Always there for you." Jinki stifled a laugh as he watched Key pretend to be his wingman.

"I'm sure he is."

-

"The intervals between the degrees of the major scale never vary, hence, major scales may be built..."

His chin propped on his hand, Jonghyun listened to Jinki read over the new lesson of the week. The two had a free period and were currently sitting on a table outside of the school. Jonghyun had reminded Jinki that he could just read the braille on his own but Jinki insisted on reading, anything to make it easier for him.

As he listened Jonghyun thought back to the lunch they'd had two weeks ago. It was now common for the group of five to spend every lunch together because they had all gotten along so well. For the first time Jonghyun had more than one friend greet him whenever he was walking around campus. Taemin would always offer to help with any books he had to carry while Key kept him company whenever Jinki wasn't around. It was a shame he couldn't see them.

"Although major scales may be constructed as described above, a more organized method..."

"What color is your hair, Jinki?" 

Jinki looked up from the homework in surprise. "Sorry?"

Sitting up straighter Jonghyun moved closer to Jinki and playfully tilted his head. "Your hair. What color is it?"

"Oh." Jinki reached for his hair and lightly pulled on some of the longer strands. "It's dark brown. Nothing too special, why?"

Jonghyun nodded ignoring the question and Jinki continued reading. There was something about his voice that attracted Jonghyun. Slowly he lifted his hand up, his fingers reaching for Jinki's face. "Umm Jonghyun..."

"Your voice is so soothing. May I-? I mean, I'd like to get an idea of how you look."

The shock was only momentary. Jinki guided his fingers and gently pressed his hand to his cheek, letting him the contour of his face. Jonghyun moved closer, his free hand sifting through Jinki's hair. For a moment Jinki forgot Jonghyun couldn't see him as he stared at the shorters eyes, their faces so close that Jinki himself felt tempted to caress Jonghyun's face.

"Jonghyun"

"Yeah?"

"Those are my nostrils."

Jinki laughed as Jonghyun let him go and pulled back, the moment now ruined. "Sorry."

"No problem," Jinki replied watching the now sheepish Jonghyun. "So, what did you think?"

There was a pause as Jonghyun thought over it, allowing his brain to create a mental picture of Jinki. "You're good looking," he finally responded trying to calm his beating heart. 

"Really? I'm glad you think so," there was a pause before he added, "You're good looking too."

"Thanks."

There was a moment of silence before Jonghyun spoke again. "I wish I could see you." For the first time since they'd met, he sounded sad. It was the first hint that his condition actually weighed on him. Jinki didn't like it. 

"Maybe one day."

Jonghyun smiled a little and nodded. "One day."