Chapter Three

Love Is Not Blind

Jinki takes one look at his paper before dropping his head on his desk. He feels like the world is coming to an end, and it might as well be, because Lee Jinki has just received his first D.

"Are you okay?"

Minho is looking at him curiously, interested in why he's repeatedly banging his head on his desk. When Jinki looks up Minho is worried he'll start to cry. "Woah what's wrong?" Without a word Jinki slides over his paper. 

"Whats wrong with it?"

Jinki can only stare at him. "I failed."

"Yeah, and?"

That had not been the reaction Jinki was expecting. "I failed."

Minho simply rolls his eyes before handing the paper back. "Yes, I know. But who cares? The world isn't going to end."

"I have never gotten a D. I've never even got lower than a B-," Jinki replies starting to ramble more to himself than to Minho. "I'll kill him. I knew I shouldn't have taken another class."

"Will you calm down?" Minho asks trying to get the nervous male next to him to stop and take a deep breath. People are starting to look at them and he's not about to explain that Jinki is having a panic attack over one bad test grade. "It's only the first month. This won't affect you."

Jinki doesn't know how a month has gone by so fast but he guesses it has to do with his busy schedule. Nothing new has happened other than growing closer to Minho who at the moment looks ready to switch seats. He can pretty much consider him a friend for putting up with him in the moment. There hasn't been anymore run-ins with Jonghyun; that probably has to do with the fact that he's always late to class and leaves the moment they're dismissed. Apart from the occasional "Hi" they haven't talked at all.

"Won't affect me..." Jinki repeats quietly although it sounds more like a question.

"Won't affect you." Minho confirms, glad to see him relaxing. "By the way who are you going to kill?"

Jinki looks at him in confusion for a moment. "Huh? Oh..." Remembering his earlier rant he realizes how dramatic he sounded. "My friend Key. He's the one who told me to take another class. Thanks to him I'm failing now."

"I'm sure he thought it would help you." Minho replies not exactly sure what to say about this Key.

"Knowing him probably not," Jinki looks up and a thought dawns on him. "You'll have to meet him."

Minho can't hide his surprise at the suggestion. "Me?"

"Of course. We're friends," Jinki pauses and looks over at Minho worriedly. "Right?"

Friends. 

Minho nods before breaking out into a wide grin. Other than Jonghyun he doesn't have many friends. The idea of getting to meet more people doesn't sound too bad.

"Yeah, we're friends."

"Good or else this would have gotten awkward." With a sigh of relief Jinki looks back towards the front of the class. Professor Song is looking over the class, occasionally glancing down at a paper in his hand. Jinki guesses he'll be talking about their test results and is incredibly thankful for Minho calming him down. 

With a forceful cough he quiets the class down enough to begin talking. "I'm sure you have all had time to discuss the results and as you saw, a lot of these were disappointing."

Jinki is sure Professor Song is staring at him but then again that could just be his anxious mind.

"There were however a few good grades. I have decided to group you accordingly with your grades so you can review them together."

Jinki listened anxiously for his name, hoping that by luck he'd be paired with Minho. He'd gotten a B so the possibility was there.

"Minho and Changmin."

Jinki watches as Minho moves closer to his partner, clearly they know each other judging by the smile on Changmin's face.

"Jinki and Jonghyun."

Startled Jinki looks over towards Jonghyun's seat and mentally kicks himself for having forgotten about him. Grabbing his stuff he heads over to the empty desk next to him and allows his books to hit the table. Jonghyun turns toward the sound with a cheerful grin, his sunglasses giving off the illusion that he's staring right at him.

"So..." Jonghyun started, tilting his head as he looked in Jinki's direction. "Which one of us failed?"

A deep sigh from his left side gives Jonghyun his answer. "Not used to failing?"

"I never fail... but I guess there's a first time for everything."

Jonghyun nodded before holding out his hand and wiggling his fingers. "Mind showing me?" Jinki stared at him perplexed and Jonghyun laughed, as if he could see his expression.

"My paper has the question in braille so just take my hand and show me."

Jinki nodded feeling a bit embarrassed before looking over at Jonghyun's paper. The questions were both in braille and printed for the teacher, but what caught his attention was Jonghyun's writing. Although a bit crooked, it was written neatly on the dotted line. For a moment he wondered if Jonghyun had always been blind. 

"Jinki?"

Realizing he'd left Jonghyun waiting he quickly reached for his hand and placed it on one of the questions he'd gotten wrong. Jonghyun would nod before explaining the answer and Jinki was glad he'd been partnered with someone who knew how to explain things so well.

"You really know your stuff."

"It's my second time taking the class so I still remember most things," Jonghyun replies as Jinki releases his hand. 

"Did you fail the first time?"

"Yes and no. I barely got a passing grade but I decided to retake the class. I wanted to make sure I understood everything before moving on," he pauses before smiling, "You have no idea how hard it is to pass this class without seeing."

Jinki notices that he doesn't say it in a regretful tone, no, he actually sounds happy. It amazes him to see someone so confident like Jonghyun especially in his circumstances.

"Well there's clearly something wrong with me if I'm failing when I can see."

Jonghyun laughs, one of his joyous laughs that has Jinki joining in. 

"Don't worry, I'll help you. I'll be your eyes in this class."

Jinki only stares at him in amusement. He has no doubt they will get along well.