Forever, and More Awaits

Sweet Indulgent

They say that things don’t last forever. Nothing lasts for eternity, things fade and we lose sight of why we ever loved them to begin with. She doesn’t think so, Doek Hye feels that she can challenge the odds set by hopeless humans. She’ll see forever with the man she loves, and with forever, new things about each other will be discovered.

Her smile ghosts over her lips delicately, she’s swirling her fingers through her lovers hair. His eyes flutter closed and he hums softly. “I sometimes ask myself how I am so lucky to be born again in the same time as you. I must’ve saved a nation in my past life.” She chuckles, sending a warm sensation through Baekhyun’s chest.

He catches her hand combing through his hair and places it over his heart. She’s met with a crystal clear blue when his eyes open, the beauty and shine making her gasp. “You flatter me too much, my love.”

She her head to the side. “As your servant, I am supposed to make my king happy. Do my praises make you unhappy?”

“I’d rather you call me darling or something of the sorts,” He cups her cheek and skims his thumb over her lips and chin. The temptation to kiss her overtaking Baekhyun, he leans forward and presses their lips together. “So sweet, like pudding.”

“So beautiful.” Deok Hye was never one to show her feelings. Over the years she’s built herself a strong wall that was torn down by the man she’s lying on. It takes Baekhyun by shock when the words she’s holding back slip off her tongue. “How am I so lucky?”

Her hushed whispers are turned silent when they sit up, facing one another. With her status compared to the king’s, she thinks very lowly of herself, even with his love as reassurance that she is worthy of not only himself, but even men greater than him. “Do you not see yourself just as beautiful, petal?” Baekhyun loops pieces of hair behind her ear. Deok Hye is the most marvelous thing he’s ever come to see, it’s a pity she doesn’t think the same.

When she looks away and cranes her neck to look at the moon and stars above them, it proves that Baekhyun is right. “So many other beautiful women you’ve had,” Memories of those nights she’s heard her king carelessly giving himself away flash in her mind makes her heart twist. Of course she didn’t feel beautiful, she didn’t even feel like she deserved to have his love. “And you’ve chosen me.”

“Yah,” He snaps, tilting her chin to look at him. “That’s quite a selfish thing to say, my love.”

She quirks her eyebrow. “And how so, Baekhyun?”

He pursed his lips. “You have no right to question where my love lies, is it so hard to believe that I devote my being to you?”

Deok Hye bashfully bats her eyelashes and holds his wrist gently. “I’d give anything for you, even my life.”

Baekhyun flinches. “Don’t act so recklessly for my sake.”

“You’ll have to watch me die someday, darling. Better it be while I’m still pretty in your eyes.”

What surprises her is when Baekhyun apologizes. His tone held so much sincerity, so much regret and guilt. “I was a fool to make you so insecure, it should be me coddling you in love and stating the risks I’d sacrifice for you. Do you wish for me to tell you what makes me yearn for you?”

“Well, by all means,” She smirks, moving so her back was against his chest and her head resting on his shoulder. “Tell me, my king.”

“To begin, it’s your will to stay strong.”

Deok Hye washes the sheets that are stained from Baekhyun’s night before hand with a grimace written clearly on her features. “He could at least be more responsible.” This girl was more persistent than the last. Surely she had to be smart enough that he would not be calling her to the castle anymore.

“He acts like a gentlemen, and yet he’s so oblivious to such an obvious thing.” She knew that voice, it was Kyungsoo. Looking up from her work, she sees the butler squatting on the rocks. He offers her a sweet smile. “Why do you do it?”

She frowns, going back to cleaning the dirtied sheet. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Kyungsoo may have young features and a small height, but he has been around for a long time. Long enough to know that this girl is totally and undoubtedly in love. “Now,” He tuts. “No need to lie. You’re in love with the king, not me. Everything said between us stays that way. Besides, that sheet has been cleaned as thoroughly as it can be. You’re in search of a distraction, are you not?”

It scared her a bit to know that Kyungsoo was absolutely right about how she was feeling. But this was one of the few times that she was able to speak to someone she could trust. “I’m a loyal servant that is all.”

“But you’re human first.” Kyungsoo takes the sheet from her and wrings the water from it. “You see, think of this sheet as how you feel. Heavy, filled with dread, maybe even pain.” He stands, carefully climbing over the rocks and in front of the sun. “But despite that pain, he makes you fly free and feel seamless,” At that moment, he releases the bunched up material and lets it be carried by the wind. “Bittersweet, am I right? You’ve known him all your life, only with the painful bout of falling in love with him as a reward.”

She wipes off a bit of dirt on her hanbok and shakes her head. “You’re right in some ways, but I swore to protect him, putting myself secondly.”

Kyungsoo sighs. Humans he’s met have always been greedy and selfish, just as any other sort of being on this planet. This girl is different, she uses her hurt as strength, but maybe, that amount of selflessness is selfish in its own way. “You’re an interesting girl, I hope you know. One day, you won’t be with us.” She freezes and narrows her eyes at him. He chuckles. “Let me explain. You’ll be a memory that we will remember for the rest of our long lives. We’ll remember your smile, your eyes, your kindness to us. What I’m saying is,” Kyungsoo holds her shoulders and holds hard eye contact with the girl. “Make him regret as little as he can when that time comes.”

***

Baekhyun draws circles on her wrist. “How damn reckless you are.” The scar where he bit her remains faintly engraved on her skin, the mark smoother than the rest of her arm. “All to save me.”

After she saved him, Baekhyun took care of her more than he’s ever done before. He didn’t allow her to work months after that incident all due to fear that he might lose her again. He was so close to seeing her die, he couldn’t fathom how he would’ve reacted. It was beginning to become suffocating as she finds it flattering.

“Baekhyun, I can move on my own without you abandoning your duties as ruler of this country.” She chuckles, shooing her friend away with the flick of her small hand.

Baekhyun wanted none of this. He takes her hand and wraps it over his shoulder, scooping the rest of her body in his arms easily. She squeaks when he looks down at her, a boyish smile complimenting his already charming looks. “Put me down.” She whines, hoping the blush would fade.

“Oh no, I think not, darling. We’ve got a busy day today, the field awaits for us.”

She sighs. “You truly need to call me Deok Hye. I am not of any special relationship to you.”

Her lifelong friend scoffs, hiking her up higher in his hold. “You belong to me, I belong to you. It’s been that way since we were children. Is that so hard to understand?”

“At least let me get dressed on my own.” She grumbles dejectedly. Baekhyun has always gotten things his way, though he was never arrogant, just persistent. “Wait for me at the field, your majesty.”

Baekhyun nods, but not before kissing her cheek in a friendly manner. He left her shocked and fawning over the slight bit of affection he’s shown her. She dresses and meets her friend in the field they’ve loved as children. The small yellow buds still flood along with the fresh green grass, the only thing different is the age of both his majesty and his friend.

He sees her and his face lights up. “What took you so long?”

She bobs her shoulder and giggles at her puppy like friend. “I was too busy pondering if I should tend to my work as a maid or come see my king.”

Baekhyun hates how he calls her king. Of course he should be called that by anyone else, but she was different. “You’re a princess, why don’t you accept that?”

“No, I’m not.”

He comes and takes her hand. “I’ve got something for you, princess.”

“Baekhyun sto- Oh!” She’s pulled away before she can protest and is brought to a chest and a blanket. Deok Hye looks at the little arrangement in awe. It had to be the cutest little thing. Baekhyun was always fond of toys and trinkets, even more so because it made her happy, that was partially the reason why he’s built toys of his own.

“Do you like it?” A shiver runs up her spine when his low voice is too close in her ear.

She nods. “Of course. You spoil me too much.”

“Anything for a princess,” He runs past her and goes through the chest, looking for the first thing to show her. “Now come sit!”

Dolls, little wooden horses, tiny swords, anything that a child would want was before her eyes. “You’ll be a wonderful father someday.” She comments, taking the toys into her hand with a small smile on her face. “How many children do you wish for?”

It was something that Baekhyun hadn’t really thought about. However, she was the one that always dreamed of being a mother. She found it her ultimate goal to live happily with her children. Deok Hye never shared she wished to marry her friend though, that was ridiculous. He’ll marry to a noblewoman such as him, and live happily. One day he’ll forget about her, but she’ll be grateful for the time she’s spent with him. Maybe she’ll have the honor of watching over his children.

“Two boys, and two girls. I want to wait for the woman I truly love.” He crinkles his nose. “I don’t want to learn to love a woman I have to call my wife. I want the love to be mutual. How about…Deok Hye? Are you alright?”

Deok Hye promised that she’d always give him what he desires and she wishes to the gods they’d grant his wish, even if she can’t give it to him. She wipes her tears and shakes her head, “I’m just happy that you’ll bless the world with even more versions of yourself. And the woman you’ll love will love you so much to give such a gift.”

***

And Baekhyun squeezes her into his chest, burying his nose into her hair. “And the way you’ve always been so beautiful, even when you don’t see it.”

I’d hurt her. God knows that I don’t deserve her love or gratitude. How much have I put her through that now I realize how I love her as much? Vampires don’t express what they feel, but I realized that she is the woman I want to accomplish everything in my life with.

As she’s crying in my arms, I wonder how much she’s cried over me in hiding. “I’m so sorry,” I kiss her forehead to make it better, to ease the heartache I’ve put her through. “I love you. I’ve loved you for so long and I’ve been so blind.” I breathe into her neck, holding her as tightly without breaking her.

I hold her face and become mesmerized by her eyes. The brown color show speckles of honey from the sunlight hitting them, her lips were trembling, but I wanted to kiss them until they were swollen. So I did.

He loves me.” And I do, on everything I have on my life, I love this girl more than anything great I could be offered.  

“My beautiful girl,” He coos as he wipes her tears with the pad of his thumb. “Forgive me for making you wait so long.”

“And finally, you made the night sky appear starry once more. You made the sun seem even brighter than before. You made the grass grow and the flowers bloom. In short, my love,” He’s made up his mind, and when she’s thrown under him and his lips brush over her jugular vein, she knows as well. “You’ve enlightened me to seeing the purpose of showing kindness and purity. For that is why I love you.”

The kisses he places on her collarbone, chin, and jawline send her heart into a raving flutter. Moonlight pours into the room, illuminating his pale skin into a sparkling silver. “I want to walk with you into forever and whatever is in store with us. I’ll beg the gods to stay with you, even in heaven.”

She moves the hair shielding his face and rubs the skin under his eye. “Have you finally decided, my love? Are you finally going to take me and make me completely yours?”

He dips low and their lips embrace fully. “You’ve always been completely mine, it’s time to grant your wish this time. It’s time that I spend eternity making you, my princess soon to be my wife, the happiest woman just like you deserve.”  

Deok Hye moves her hands up and down his arms slowly and nods, “Shall forever be ours."


A/N: akghjakg im so sorry ive made you wait for so long omg time passes so quickly lolol the next chapter will most likely be the last. this story has grown on me a lot while writing it. makes me feel even more love for baekhyun and if you ask anyone who knows me, you'll know just how much byun baekhyun means to me. deok hye is written a lot like how i am as a person. a lot of people say forever doesnt exist, that forever is only a myth and nothing can last that long. but i think otherwise, i think that things have to happen for forever to carry on as it may. i think forever only matters in the eye of the beholder. forever doesnt sound so bad, and its a promise im willing to make to a certain someone. 

sorry for the emo authors note, i'll see you all xoxo, stay beautiful~ 

(p.s. the little moments between baekhyun speaking to deok hye are like flashbacks in both deok hye's and baekhyun's point of view. so you might notice some things from before in other chapters, okay? so i hope that doesnt cause any confusion lolol)