Chapter 6

The Life of a Farmer

Before I could react, Krystal already jumped into the water and completely submerge herself into the clear water, only in her underwear.

"What are you doing?!" I yelled. She dived for a while before jumping out of the water gracefully, with an extra hair flip. Just like the one in the shampoo commercials. On that moment, she looks ethereal with the droplets of water on her skin reflects the sun shine. But I shook my head cause even if she looks pretty, that's just a stupid decision.

I collected the dress she left on the ground recklessly and drapped it on my shoulder. Damn girl.. it's hard to wash this kind of cloth. 

I shivered when a cold wind from the waterfall gushed on me. Doesn't she feel numb or something? Its still too cold to swim right now, even the wind agreed on that one. But I guess she's fine with it cause she's now sitting on a huge rock while combing her hair and her face to her neck thoroughly.

"Hey! Aren't you cold?" I wasn't the one who took the dip but I can already feel how cold the water is from here.

She just glanced at me and dipped into the water again. She casually walked to the shore like it's nothing when the cold water is already neck deep.

"We don't bring any towel now, idiot." I rolled my eyes but she just laughed. Well, don't blame if she caught a cold later. 

Krystal sat on the rocky shore, her waist down is still underwater. She looked behind her shoulder. She looked at me with that tempting eyes and reached out her delicate hand, "Wanna join me, professor? The water is really good." She even added a wink!

Damn. I unintentionally gulped at the sight of her. How could you resist that kind of offer, from a smoking hot lady who's literally drenched, and half ?

God, please give me a reason why I shouldn't take that offer.

 I think god just answered my prayer cause another cold air just hit my whole body and snapped me out of my thought. I guess nature just tried to stop me from making another stupid decision to join her in that icy water. Thank you.

I shook my head and shivered a bit. Her eyes were still glued on me, waiting for my respond.

"Nah.. I'm fine." She pouted in annoyance (I could feel my inside just died) and turned her head from me. Sometimes I forgot that she's already an adult with that kind of childish act sthat she still does, just like right now. 

I walked closer to her and crouched on the edge of the water but still far enough from the water. I swore I just saw her porcelain skin glows when the sun shine fell on her drenched skin. Her hair was let loose on her back, covering almost all of it.

But even though she looked like she's enjoying the cold water, her body said the other wise. Her arm started to tremble from the cold and I could hear her teeth clattering. Krystal rubbed her arms up and down to warm up, but still too stubborn to leave the water. Why did she jump in the first place any way?

 I just sighed and stood up from my crouch. "Come on, krys. Play time's over. Let's go back." I reached my hand for her to take.

"I'm fine. See?" She opened her arm to prove it, but she just made her body trembled even harder.

"I won't catch a cold. I'm strong now, professor! Just wait a- ACHOO!" She sneezed and I sighed for the nth time of the day.

"Get out of the water, now. Don't make me come for you, kid." I smiled a bit when she finally stood up, but-

"YAH!" She stuck her tounge out and instead she dip herself again while rubbing her now red nose. 

"What are you doing?! Come back here!" God damn it, why is she so stubborn! Did I teach her this?!. She dared to walked deeper and stood there, waiting. She smirked and even has the gut to wave at me with that stupid grin.

"Come and get me, then." I face palmed and an angry Mr. Jung's face popped out in my head and imagine what would happen if he found out that his daughter is sick because of this. Maybe he will sue me or at least destroy my whole career or at least my farm. I know he can do it in a snap of a finger and i'm tooottallyyy.. screwed.

"Don't joke around with me now, Krys!" I warned  but she continued to swim around and dipped her head into the water. She didnt show any sign of getting out soon so I just did my last option, get her out of the water with my own hands. 

"The hell with this cold. I'm coming for you!" I'm so done with this and rolled my pants to my knees. I walked straight to the water for her, not caring if my feet has gone numb from the cold. Right on time when she resurfaced I hold her shoulder to make her stand straight in front of me.

"What are you doing?" She clenched on my shirt for support and I wrapped her arm to my neck.

"G-get you out of here cause you're t-too st-stubborn to do as I say!" The cold has finally sunk deep into my bone so I gotta move quick. My hands dipped inside the water and scooped her out. I was struggling to walk out of the water with my already numb feet, and now I cant feel my leg.

My shirt was drenched with the water from her. The cold pierced into my stomach like a hard blow from Mike Tyson.

I trembled hard after I placed her down and threw the dress at her, "W-wear that for now, idiot." I threw the rest of the food inside the basket and hurriedly walk to my bike. Now I regret not bringing the car here. 

Krystal sneezed again. Her sleeveles dress is utterly useless and now clung on her like a second skin. She hopelessly tried to get her warmth back by running her cold hand on her arm. I felt bad for her pitiful look and how hard she tried to get warm again, not to mention her bright red nose and ears showed how cold she really is.

I sighed.. again. I guess the compasionate side in me took over and I quickly ed my shirt. Krystal's eyes widened when she saw it but I already finished it and wrapped it around her.

"Your arm." She put her arm in the sleeve one by one. I hope it's enough for now.

"But, professor, you're-"

I raised my hand, "I'll be fine." Now I'm only in my black tank top and she has a hard time to stop glancing at me, or my body.

"Besides, i'll get warmer when I ride back home. Now hop on." She followed my order and we quickly went back home before we both die because of hypothermia.

I tried hard to beat the cold from the wind as I ride my bike home as fast as I could. Krystal sat completely still with one of her arm circled around my waist for support. Slowly, I felt warmer because my body moved a lot, so I got that going for me. I guess Krystal felt that too and leaned her body on my back in search for my warmth.

I couldnt control my heart beat anymore the moment she snuggled her face closer and she hummed in bliss.

 God.. please dont let her hear it. Please..

"Your heart is beating so fast, professor. 

.

"U-uh I guess that's because I- Oh look! We're close!" Phew.. thank god we finally reached my house. She jumped off and dashed into my house like she's the one who owns the property. I put my bike beside the stairs and followed her.

She ran faster than a lightning bolt with my towel in her hand, "Me first!" She slammed the door of my bathroom and took a hot bath to warm herself.

I led myself to the kitchen and boil some water to make tea for both of us. I put my hand above the boiling kettle and put it on my neck and face to get warm. I poured some honey into the cup and fill them with the tea. 

"Uh.. professor?" Krystal's drenched head popped out from the bathroom. I glanced and responded with a hum.

"May I.. borrow your clothes, please?". I put down my cup and walked to my wardrobe. I pulled a spare clean underwear, one of my hoodie and pajama pants and shoved it to her face.

"Thank you~" she locked the door again and came out looking fresh and much better. The hoodie was too big for her but she has to wear it if she doesnt want to catch a cold. She put her wet dress in the basket before walking back to the couch. 

"I made some tea. Go get it yourself." I grabbed another towel and took a hot steamy bath. Nothing beats the feeling of a warm bath after a tiring day. I smiled feeling incredibly good after I finished my bath.

Krystal was quiet, wrapped in my blanket from this morning. She has a cup in her hand and let the tea warm her almost frozen hand.

"Scoot over, will ya?" I slumped my aching body beside her before I sighed again. I sighed a lot today. Man.. what a tiring day. I massaged my temple slowly with my eyes closed. I looked at her and caught her staring at me. She quickly looked back at her cup and hid her face behind her locks.

Surprisingly Krystal didn't throw another sassy remark or any teasing. She just sat there in silence with her eyes fixed on her cup.

"Why? You dont like the tea?"

She lift her head and shook it, "No, that's not it. It's just.." She shut again and didnt even finish her sentence.

"It's just- Achoo!" She sneezed again, luckily this time I had time to turn my head away from the sneeze.

"Wait here." I could feel her eyes on my back after I left her. I walked to the kitchen and took some pills for cold and a glass of water.

"Drink up." She took the medicine and drank them all before leaning back on the couch again.

"Give me the blanket." I stood in front of her with a stern face. I'm too tired to do anything and definetly not in a mood to joke around. 

"B-but-"

"No buts. Give it to me." She reluctantly unwrap herself from the blanket and gave it to me. She pouted again when she saw me wrapping the blanket around me.

I leaned on the edge of the couch and open my arm for her. "Come here." I said in another commanding tone. 

Her eyes went as big as a platter, "W-what?" 

"All my other blanket are still in the laundry. This is the last one. I'm cold, you cold, we need to share the blanket." She stayed silent, maybe contemplating about the choice.

"Or if you don't want to, you may go home and get your own or you can freeze to death. And, oh! the thermostat is broken. It was dripping wet before I came in the bathroom." She widened her eyes in disbelief like she just realized something but I chose to shrug it off and enjoy my blanket. Meh, I can just fix it tomorrow. No big deal. I wrapped the blanket around me tightly and soon the warmth of the blanket enveloped me in a fluffy burrito. 

I was starting to drift off to sleep when finally I heard she mumbled something. "I'm sorry." Its barely audible but it's loud enough for me.

She sniffed once and rubbed her nose, "I'm sorry for all this trouble, professor. I didn't mean to do it. I just.. want to spend some time with you. But I messed it up and instead gave you another trouble. I'm sorry." She sniffed again, I dont know if it's just the flu or she's really crying right now. 

I brought my hand to her head and it gently. She hung her head even deeper and that's when I saw her crying because of the guilt she felt. My tiredness and annoyed self got swept away the moment I saw tears rolling down her cheek.

"It's okay. I... actually enjoyed it. There's no need to feel guilty." She lift her head to meet my eyes and I used that chance to wipe her tears.

"Aww.. don't cry, pabo-yah.." I cupped her face with my right hand and smiled warmly to reassure her. I her hair back to reveal her now wet and red face.

"It's okay.." I patted her head slowly and occasionally turn into another session.

"I'm truly sorry, professor. Please-" 

I raised my finger to shut her lips and shushed, "Let's talk about it later, okay?"

She hummed as a yes and gave in into my touch. Her eyes started to get heavier and she found it hard to keep it open. I guess the pills had done their job since she has stopped sniffing and sneezing.

Slowly, she closed her eyes and leaned into my arm until there's no more gap sepparating us. Carefully I positioned her head on my shoulder before wrapping our cold body with the blanket. Her breathing pace was getting slower and she's falling into a deep sleep in my arm. 

I her head tenderly for a couple of times and I felt sleepy while doing it. I wrapped the blanket tighter around me and followed her into a deep slumber. 
--- ---
I squirmed in my sleep when I felt something was moving beside me. Gosh.. why does my neck feel so hot. I opened my eyes and Krystal's sleeping face was the first thing that popped on my face. Oh yeah. I forgot about her. 

The clock showed it's 5 : 15 pm and it's getting dark outside. And I forgot to feed my babies (read: cows). The room was dimly lit, the light from the kitchen was the only light that shines the house. I tried to turn my head but my neck was too stiff from being in a still position for a long time.

"Oh god.. my neck hurts." I cracked my neck side ways to relief the tension and the numb feeling. I found my left arm behind her back this entire time, and now I can't feel them. Sigh.. 

She stirred in her sleep when something was disturbing her sleep, and i'm that thing. She opened her eyes slowly and took some times to see her surrrounding. Her gaze fell on my face and she nearly jumped from her seat when she realized how close our position is. She rubbed her eyes vigorously to help her wake up faster. 

"You're awake now?" She nodded quickly but still doesn't move an inch from her place.

"Good. Can you stand up now? I can't feel my arm."
--- ---
Krystal decided to cook dinner for us while I went out to feed my cows. I took her now dried dress from the washing machine and tried really ard not to burn the expensive piece of clothing when I iron it. I folded it nicely and placed her clothes in a paper bag. 

"Professor? Are you finished?" She asked from the kitchen. The smell of freshly made chicken soup filled my nose and my mouth automatically drooled from the delicious and warm smell of it.

Krystal decided to cook for dinner as a thank you for what I did even though I've said it's fine, but being a stubborn girl she is, she insisted to cook the only food she can cook beside instant noodles and dessert.

I walked to the kitchen and sit on a dining chair behind her. "Stop calling me professor. Just call me Amber from now on." She peeked from her shoulder once and continued her cooking. I stare at her back while she's still busy cooking. I put my chin on my hand to observe her back figure. I unintentionally smiled when I realize she has stopped sneezing.

She wiped her hand with the tissue and tip toed to grab 2 bowls from the top shelf, which she found it almost impossible to do it without a stool. Her fingers couldn't even reach the bottem of the shelf.

I walked to her place to help and towered behind her to get the bowls. She turned around and found herself trapped between me and the kitchen counter. Her hair smells exactly like my shampoo and soap, but why does it feels.. different?

She was looking at me the entire time and I could feel her intense gaze on my face. I felt really awkward with our current position and my increasing heart beat doesn't help at all.

"H-here." I handed her the bowls and quickly waltz my way back to my chair. She nodded meekly and continue to fill the bowl with the soup. I took out 2 glasses and poured some water for us. She placed my bowl in front of me and sit across me. 

"Uh.. thanks for cooking this, Krystal." I said to break the ice as I took a spoonful of it. I saw she smiled from the corner of my eyes and digged into her food. My inside feels incredibly warm when I eat the soup. It wasn't one of the best chicken soup I've ever tried but hands down this is really good.

"This is really good." I said my thought and she smiled shyly while tucking few strands of hair behind her ears. "Where did you learn how to cook this?" I continued. 

Her eyes widened for a split second before her gaze fell into the bowl. "My mom. She liked chicken soup and so do I." She took a spoonful and put it inside , letting the spoon stay inside to savor the taste. 

Wait. Liked? Does that mean..

"My mom died when I was 19. cancer" She lift her head to see my face. She put her hands down and stare at the half empty bowl. Tears were already blurred her vision so I took a tissue to wipe it softly. Her eyes widened and she was caught off guard by my action but didn't do anything to stop me either. I held her hand and gaze deep into her watery eyes. 

"I'm so sorry for your loss, Krystal." I smiled a little to show my condolence. She nodded weakly and intertwined our hand. I caressed the back of her hand with my thumb slowly. She opened to say something, but she closed it shut again. 

My chest ache really bad when I saw her pained face contorted to control her overwhelming feeling and sobbing so I stood up from chair and kneeled beside her, never letting go our intertwined hand. I was quite surprised too with my action, but this is the first thing that came in my mind so I just follow my heart and do it. 

"Don't be sad, pabo-yah. I don't like seeing you like this." I meant every single thing I said and stare deep into her eyes. She wiped her eyes with the sleeve of my hoodie and took a deep breath to calm down. She smiled a bit and unbeknown to me, my lips did it too. It must be hard to live in that mansion alone with no one to talk with or even spend the time. Like any other butler, they were only told to serve her, not to be her friend. That but ironically that's the truth.

I stood up from my knee and pulled her hand so her body will follow my pulling. When she finally stood up in front of me, I pulled her hand again and engulfed her in my embrace. Her body stiffen when she found herself in my arm. 

"You have me now." 
--- ---
After our little 'intimate' moment, we resume our meal and I washed the uttensil before joining her on the couch. Krystal folded the blanket and put it on the edge of the couch.

I wiped my wet hand and checked for the time. It was already 9 pm. It's too late for her to stay outside for today.

She has the paper bag that I prepared earlier in her hand and I saw Jimin's boat waiting there with Jimin standing in front of my opened door. 

"Good evening, miss Liu. I'm here to fetch young miss Jung." He said in a formal tone. This is the first time I've been this close to him and I finally took a notice on how 'professional' he really is when he works. Every thing about him screamed perfection, gentlemanly, and obedience. I guess he was trained to be like this since young age. He eyed Krystal's clothes with his sharp eyes filled with curiosity, but he quickly put on his poker face again. He acted more like a robot than a human. I don't know if I should be amazed or weirded out by it.

I nodded and faced Krystal for the last time for today. She left my house and stood beside Jimin who has taken the paper bag in his hand. 

"Thank you so much for today, professor- I mean, Amber." She smiled and bowed a bit. I bowed to her too and walked beside her to the dock. Jimin was already on the steering wheel so I helped her getting in the boat carefully. 

"I'm so sorry for everything I did today." She smiled apologizing. I just nodded and smiled as well. Somehow I felt really awkward with her. The boat finally roared after Jimin turned it on. He spare a glance to me and bowed politely before riding the boat back to the mansion. 

"See you soon!" I screamed. Krystal's eyes never left me and so I waved my hand high so she can see me better. She raised her hand a bit and did the same thing. When she's already far enough and I couldn't see the boat anymore, I walked back to my home and tried to get a good night sleep. 

 I was already tucked under my blanket but my eyes refused to close themself. Thoughts about her unknowingly kept popping in my mind, leaving me wide awake with them. I remembered about the incident today and how stupid she was for swimming there half when the water is still too cold. At least she's fine now after taking her medicine. I didn't realizd I've been smiling like an idiot while remembering our day-out.

Great, now I can't fall asleep. 

I closed my eyes and sighed again, "What did you exactly do to me.."
--- ---
It's been 5 days since the last time I met her and she hasn't contacted me ever since. Every time I deliver the milk there, it's always been the maid who took it. I tried to ask about her whereabouts but they refused to tell me, even Luna refused to tell me even after I gave her some extra milk. 

I was restless and couldn't even concentrate on my job, not when Krystal keep on popping out in my mind in every 5 second. I sighed a lot in a day and Seulgi noticed it when we were sitting on the dock in one evening. I couldn't even take my eyes off of that mansion. 

"Can you please stop sighing for once? You've been sighing since this morning and you're ruining my mood." Seulgi scolded me and sipped her beer in annoyance.

I didn't say anything and only sighed again as an answer.

Until that one dawn.

I was walking to do my daily morning routine to get the milk when I saw her tying her boat on the dock and ran to me. Krystal was breathless and even struggled to catch her breath. She was panting and sweating furiously. She looked like she was running away from something, or someone.

"What happened?" I held her shoulder. She looked at me, eyes already filled with tears and some escaped and rolled down to her porcelain cheek. Her lips trembled when she cried and all the bad thoughts started to run in my head. 

The next thing she said really caught me off guard. I couldn't even believe my own two ears and my eyes as I read and heard the words escaped from her rosy lips. 

"I am getting married in 3 weeks."

--- ---

Hey ya'll! Jeon's here!

Miss me? xD