Chapter 5

The Life of a Farmer

"W-wait hold up. W-what do you mean by going out?" Krystal raised an eye brow quesioningly, "Going out. You, me, going to some places together. Killing some time and eat something perhaps." She giggled at my now confused face.

Heck, this girl is sure is brave. On the other hand, I spent weeks gathering my courage to tell the people in the city that I sell milks.

I furrowed my eyebrow while she just sat there waiting for my answer with her tea in her hand. "Why should I go with you?".

She raised her eyebrow and smiled, "Because, professor." She put down her cup back on the table. "You owe me the time I have spent alone when you should've been the one who guided me. So.. you're actually in debt for my time now. Chop chop, professor. I don't have all day just to wait for your answer." She intertwined her finger on her lap and raised one of her brow a bit, showing her dominance.

I honestly was taken a back by the way she has grown into one brave (or you could say, bossy) lady. Was she really the girl who didn't even dare to talk back to anyone?

"So?" She trailed her word. "F-fine. I guess I can clear my schedule for tomorrow." I averted my gaze from the girl whose now grinning in victory. "Great! Well then, I'll see you tomorrow, professor." She stood from her chair and I took it as a cue for me to leave the Jung Manor.

She walked me to the front door with her arm clinging on mine. "Wait a minute." She said. She ran to the coffee table and grabbed a piece of paper. She looked so happy when she scribbled something on it and kissed the paper. "Call me, professor. I look forward to see you tomorrow." She winked at me before closing the front door with a slam.

For the first time in years I actually have no explanation on what has just happened few minutes ago. My jaw hung open as I stood there like a complete idiot with a small paper in my hand. "What was that?" I mumbled. On the paper was a series of number, which I think that's her phone number since it has her initial on it, and.. an eye-catching red lip stain on the bottom of the paper.

"Did I just let my student flirt.. with me?" I felt my face burning in embarassment for letting that kind of action happened, from my own student. I shook my head from any further thought and quickly went back to the other shore.

I spend the rest of the day tending my garden and feed the cows and chicken. At least those things can distract me from thinking of the situation earlier, but still I couldn't help to take a glance or two at the Jung Manor.

The manor stood there in silence. Again it looks like a regular old mansion with no trace of life inside it. Was it really happen for real? The mansion looks so.. empty and lonely. I swept the sweat on my forehead with my arm. I wonder how it feels to live there with all the money and stuff. My mind drift off to Krystal.

I return the shovel back to the storage room and walked to the shore. I brought a can of beer with me and sat down on the dock. The gentle ripple of the lake gently swept over my aching feet. I watched as the light in that mansion lit up one by one when the dark fell upon it. It looks more alive than before with all the light, but it still looks really lonely there. Does Mr. Jung live there too? Does she has any sibling? Question popping one by one but this time I just let it cloud over my mind. I stopped my train of thought when a cold breeze flew through me as a reminder that it's already dark.

I all the necessary lights and spent my evening listening to the radio talking about the recent news after taking a hot bath. When the clock struck 9, I was already on my bed ready to fly to the dreamland. I took a last glance at the manor from the window above my head. I couldn't stop admiring it's beauty among the darkness that swarm around it. I slumped my head back on my pillow and release a heavy sigh.

Even though I don't quite agree on the idea of going out with her this soon..

Sigh..

Let's just see what happen next

--- ---

The next morning I woke up earlier than my alarm clock. The sky was still dark and I didn't see the sign the sun will come out soon, it's another chilly morning.

It was still 4 am so it's fine for me to lazy around for a bit. I enjoyed every bite of my waffle and sip of my favorite coffee. It was too early to announce the morning news so the radio played some jazzy old song to keep it alive.

I checked the clock and it's the time to collect the milk so I walked to the door with a box of fresh bottles while humming along with the song.

I opened the door and- "HOLY WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

The girl who was sleeping almost jumped when I screamed. Phew.. "Thank god I didn't drop this babies". The girl combed her hair back and revealed her face. It was Krystal, dressed in a simple white sleeveless dress with a picnic basket on her lap leaning on the wall.

"Are you crazy?! It's cold outside! Do you know what time is it?!" I screamed once again and she just put a finger on her lips as a sign for me to shut up. "Didn't I say we're going out today?" She rubbed her sleepy eyes and ran her hand on her arm to warm herself. "We-well yes, but- get inside."

I dragged her inside and pushed her down to sit on my couch. I grabbed my blanket from my room and drapped it around her. She tucked her feet in and she seems comfortable with the warmth.

"Milk, coffee or tea?" I asked from the kitchen. "Coffee please." She replied. I made an extra cup for her and place it on the table in front of her. "Thank you, professor." The blanket muffled her voice but she didn't even bother. Krystal snuggled even deeper into my blanket and I just saw her sniffing it.

"How long have you been outside?" She lift her head and took the cup to her hand. "Uh.. I don't know. 30 minutes? Maybe more?" She blew air on the cup to cool it down and sipped it. I guess she likes the coffee judging from the way she looks at the coffee and the twinkle in her eyes. Did she bring a boat here? "Jimin took me here." Wait..did she just read my mind? "W-well then, I still have milk delivery for today so I guess you can stay here.. or you can go back to your place." Suddenly she unwrap the blanket and almost jumped off the chair, "No! I don't want to go home!" She screamed.

What?

"C-can I go with you?" She looked into my eyes with hopeful puppy eyes that I got to admit it's very hard to resist. I almost nod my head when I realize I put the box on the seat behind me so there's no room for her to sit.

"But I put the box on the rear seat. There's no empty space for you." I bit my inner lips in guilt when her hopeful eyes died down. Krystal grab the blanket back and wrap herself with it, now with a pout on her lips.

I sat on the single arm chair and sighed in defeat. I put my chin on my hand as I watch her sulky face and pout continue, now it's deeper than before. Come on Amber.. There must be a way..

Suddenly an idea came into my head when I remember something about the bike.

"I have an idea." I walked to my closet and throw one of my jacket. "Let's go."

--- ---

"I thought you're gonna use the car, professor." After all the time I've said it, she wouldn't stop calling me professor. "Well, it'll be hard to go around swiftly with car, and second, I love my bike." I smiled and hop on my bike. She just sighed and smoothen the hem of her dress before hoping on the bike.

I remember that I can take off the compartment for holding the box and voila! a free space for her.

"Hey, it's you who insisted to come, don't blame me or my bike, princess." I laughed over my shoulder and earned myself a slap on my back. The box shook in her hand when she slapped me, "Hey! Be careful with that. Hold on tight. It's more precious than your life now." She rolled her eyes and held onto it just like what I ordered her. "Let's go!"

The bike moved steadily and it got harder to move since now I have more weight behind me. We move faster when we reached the downhill so I let the gravity do it's job. I always look forward for this moment when the cold air swept through my face and the feeling like you're flying and free from all burden.

"Don't move so fast!" I heard Krystal's voice muffled by the whistling sound of the wind in my ear. I pulled the brake slowly and made my way to the first house. "We're here." I said. She got down and I laughed out loud when I saw her hair got tangled up everywhere because of the strong wind.

"You look like a witch!" I continued to laugh but still kind enough to hold the box for her so she can straighten up her hair. "If you laugh once again, I will kill you." She glared at me while combing her hair with her hand. It only takes her a few to bring it back to normal. She must've been taking a good care of it.

I rang the doorbell and grabbed the new bottle after I've taken the empty one. "So this is what you do everyday?" She asked me when I handed her the empty bottle to be put inside the box. I nodded and smiled, "Except for sunday, and except for your house. I have to deliver these milks there everyday, 7 days a week. Aigoo.." She nodded slowly and got onto the bike again after I'm done.

After few houses, I let her do my job and in return I hold the box for her. I guess she's starting to like this job because her eyes shone in happiness everytime she rang a door bell and laughed when the sound is unique or new to her.

"Good job. We're almost done for today." I said to the girl whose now couldn't stop smiling after seeing Mr. Jo's 'cute' guard dog did a trick and turn into what she said a 'cute doggy' for her when for me, he almost bite my sleeve off the first time I came there. She waved goodbye to the dog and it's tail wouldn't stop waggling and he scratched the steel fence as a goodbye.

"The last is Mr. Bae's house. He's the mayor here and I think you've met each other before." She nodded and rang the door bell. Heavy foot step could be heard and ended with a click of the door key. It was Mr. Bae himself who opened the door, still dressed in his sweat pants and a shirt a bit too small for his quite fat body.

"Well, isn't this Ms. Jung. Good morning, you two." He offered his hand for a handshake with her and she gladly accept it in a lady-like manner and a pat on my shoulder for me.  "Good morning for you too, Mr. Bae."

Mr. Bae saw me and he smiled even wider than before, "Making a new friend, I see. Well then, enjoy your day, kids. The weather is good." He took the milk from his door and patted my shoulder again. "Take care of her, ok?" He smiled for the last time before going back inside his house.

"So.. What do we do now?" I asked her. Her eyes roamed everywhere, looking for something that might caught her attention. Her eyes stops in a certain direction and she pointed at it, "There's a bakery shop! Let's go there! Let's go there!" She pulled my hand and walked to Mrs. Kim's bakery.

I saw the delight in her eyes when we entered the room with rows filled with freshly baked bread and cake. A middle-aged lady was cleaning the shelves, and I certainly know that it's Mrs. Kim herself.

"Good morning Mrs. Kim!" I said enthusiasticly. She fixed her frame on the bridge of her nose and smiled when she recognized me, "Oh my! Good morning, Amber! It's been a while." With her hand holding her aching old back she slowly walk at me. I walked closer and hugged her tight.

"Who is this girl, Amber?" Mrs. Kim pointed at Krystal who's too immersed in looking at the cakes in the display. "That is Mr. Jung's daughter. Hey Krystal!" She turned her head and I wave my hand to call her, "Mrs. Kim, this is Krystal, the one who live at the mansion across the lake and Krystal, this is Mrs. Kim, she owns this place". Krystal smiled politely and offered her hand for a handshake. "You're a very beautiful young lady." Mrs. Kim complimented and traced Krystal's face with her wrinkly hand. Krystal laughed, "You're more beautiful than I am, Mrs. Kim."

I didn't know what's so funny about the chat but they laughed together and wouldn't stop complimenting each other.

"I love your dress, Miss Jung. It's simply gorgeous."

"I also love your dress, Mrs. Kim! The blue pattern is just so beautiful."

"And this fabric is really good! Where did you buy it?"

"My dad bought it for me. I love your braid, Mrs. Kim."

"Oh my, thank you." Mrs. Kim laughed again and patted Krystal's cheek.

"Okay, I get it. You're both beautiful and both dresses are good. Sorry to be rude, but can we just move on and talk about something else?" I interupted their train of compliment and got myself a glare from each lady.

"Don't mind her, Krystal- can I call you that?" Krystal nodded, "That's just the way she is. But she's nice, so bear with her." Mrs. Kim walked to the counter and grabbed a paper bag. She filled the bag with some breads and fold the tip when it's almost full.

"This is for your welcome gift, I'm sorry I couldn't come to your house warming party. This old back of mine decided to act up at the wrong time." Mrs. Kim massaged her back slowly. "But I'll visit you soon when I'm okay, and I'll just wait for that idiot daughter of mine finally get a vacation." She pointed at the girl in picture on the wall.

There's Mrs. Kim with her only daughter, Taeyeon clad in her doctor coat smiling proudly. She's now working in a big hospital as a surgeon in Seoul so she's busy all the time. "Maybe she will come home soon when she's less busy, Mrs. Kim." I encouraged the old lady.

After another small chat, we bid goodbye and rode back to my house. "The people here are really nice. My dad should've bought a simple house here instead of a solitude palace there." I heard the sadness in her voice when she said it. "Don't be sad, Krys. Maybe your dad prefer something more elegant and classy for his taste." I tried to bring her mood up. She didn't say anything so I just keep my mouth shut again.

After taking another bath, we sat together in my living room to enjoy the day. Krystal was reading something in the newspaper and busy flipping through the pages.

"So, I'm free now. What are we going to do today?" She lift her eyes from the paper and fold it, "I heard there's a waterfall around here. Wanna go there?". A waterfall? None of the people ever mentioned about a waterfall around here. Well, I think the weather is perfect for a picnic there so let's just give it a go.

"Do you know where it is?" She nodded and showed me a folded map from the basket. "Jimin gave it to me." I read the map and actually it's not that far from here.

"Perfect. Let's go have a picnic."

--- ---

"Remind me again why did I agree to go out with you." I sighed and pushed the bike to the top of the hill.

When I suggested we should bring the car there, she insisted we should take the bike instead because she wants to get 'closer' to the nature.

"Because you owe me, right? So stop whining, professor." She walked behind me with the basket in her hand. When the road is not as bad as before, we got on the bike and continue the ride.

It really is a perfect day for going out. The forest has never been this peaceful and the smell of the nature is just heavenly. Actually this isn't that bad after all. I love the way the sunlight seeps through the leaves and shine our way.

The bike rocked a bit when we passed through some pebbles and she quickly grabbed on a place for holding, and it happens to be my waist. She encircled one of her arm around my waist and leaned her head on my back. "Do you mind?" She said and I could feel the vibration of on my spine. We are that close. I shook my head and held her hand for a while. "Suit yourself."

A faint sound of rumbling water could be heard getting louder and louder. "We're close." She said and ordered me to turn right. From a far I could see a cliff, probably 20 meters high almost hidden behind the trees. The air turns colder when we got closer to the waterfall and I could hear the sound of the insects who live in that watery area.

"Alright, we made it!" Krystal jumped off the seat and walked closer to the waterfall. I leaned my bike on one of the tree and straighten my wrinkled shirt.

There's a pond underneath the rumbling waterfall and it's not really that deep since I still can see the rock under it. I inhaled the fresh air deeply and let my mind memorize this place by details. I dipped my feet into the water and it's still pretty cold but it's fine for swimming.

"Professor, come here!" Krystal called. She has laid out the food on the mat and poured the wine into the cup. I noticed she has braid her hair by herself and let it rest on her shoulder. "I made this sandwich. Try it."

She handed me a ham sandwich. I took a mouthful bite and she was watching my whole expressio, waiting for my reaction with anticipation in her eyes. It taste like an ordinary sandwich, but it's still good. "It's good." I said and she just smiled even wider than before.

I felt a warm feeling in my chest every time she smiles about a simple thing. It feels like I could sit for hour just listening her talking about the thing happened back in university.

"I'm really glad I found you again, professor." She laughed and there it goes again. Every time her lips turn into a smile I couldn't help to mirror the same thing on my face. Every time her laughter entered my ear, my stomach feels ticklish and warm.

We talked more about other mundane things and catch up with everything in the past. I felf really full after I finish my 2nd sandwich and 3rd cupcake. She's really good at making cupcake from the stories she told, maybe I should ask her to teach me how to make those.

We just sat in silent after we're full. None of us even bother to start a conversation and just enjoying each other's company. I laid down beside her after we're done packing the leftover back in the basket.

She saw a group of white flower and decided to make a flower crown for herself. She looks really cute when she's really concentrated on doing it with her brows scrunched together and her bang fell in front of her face like a black curtain.

"Finish!" She exclaimed and showed the makeshif crown at me. "It's pretty. Wow! Congrats!" I said like a proud teacher to her student with a clap. She put it on her head and fixed her hair again. "How do I look?" She turned her head at me.

"You're.. pretty.."

For an instance I felt my heart literally just skipped a beat when I saw her. It's just a simple flower crown but why does it looks like somekind of halo on her? I couldn't help but stare deeply at the beauty in front of me with my jaw hung open.

A tint of blush appeared on her cheek and that just add her beauty even more. "Stop staring!" She whined and pushed my face away. The blush in her cheeks got even darker and my lips curled into a smile on its own.

"What?? You asked me for opininion right?" She kept on pushing my head away and hid her face beneath layers of her dark hair, but I could see the visible blush is still there.

"Phew it's hot, isn't it?" She fanned herself. What a lame excuse, Krystal Jung. I nodded my head and play along with her play. She stood up and walked around while fanning herself. She suddenly stopped and looked at me again. "What?" I asked, she shook her head again and walk around again like a confused bee.

"I want to swim." She suddenly said and pulled the hem of her dress.

"What?!" And before I knew it, she's already half .

 

--- ---

Hello everyone!

I'm so sorry I didn't keep my promise for a quick update. I'm busy (again) with all the work and fortunately I still have time to finish this one. And finally its done! Phew.. 

And I have a news about 'The Psychopath'

Im currently in a major writer block and I have no idea where should I take the story to. So sorry T.T

But i'll try to write it bit by bit and lets see what happen next. 

That's all for this time and thanks for the comment, subs, and upvote ^^ 

If you want to tell me anything, just write it down in the comment box below and i'll reply it :D

See you soon in the next update!