Chapter 2

The Life of a Farmer

I watched the quiet small town turned louder when those trucks started roaming around in the city.

As Seulgi mentioned before, someone finally stayed in that mansion for whatever their reason is or whatever plan they have in their mind IF they still have clear mind. I mean, who wants to stay isolated in that freaking huge mansion for the whole spring and summer when you're supposed to be outside enjoying life and the sun when we still have it?

I just shook my head and went to the barn to feed my cows. I brought a full carriage of hay for them and a brush- they really like it when I brush them with this. When they're busying themselves with munching those hay, I started brushing them one by one. I it tenderly and made sure I didn't do it too hard or else it would hurt them. After I finish, I grabbed a cart for the cow manure and store it in a special place for the fertilizer.

"Amber! Amber!" Someone yelled from a far. I looked outside to see who's calling me.

Irene ran with something I suspected is a letter in her hand. She looked troubled running in that navy blue dress that suits perfectly on her body with her hair tied in a messy bun. A perfect full smile hung on her face. Even with open, it will never makes her look weird while for me I'd look like a really sweaty dog with hair disheveled everywhere and probably my spits too.

"Hey hey, take it easy there, girl. What's with the rush?" Irene was struggling to catch her breath after she stopped in front of my house. Her smile never left her smile when she handed me the letter.

"A letter from the Jung mansion." She said with excitement in her voice. Her eyes twinkled as she stared at the letter and back to me. 

I looked at the letter questioningly and question started popping in my mind. "Who sent this?" I examined the envelope before I open the letter. Irene nugged at me to read it myself.

There's nothing much explained in the letter. It's just an invitation for a house warming party from someone named Mr. Jung. He will hold a garden party tomorrow and apparently I got invited there.

"Will you come?" Irene looked at me with those puppy eyes.

"I don't know. I still have many things to do here." I said as I put back the letter in the envelope and stuffed it in my pocket. "You can ask Seulgi to come with you." I continued

Irene bit her lip when I mentioned Seulgi's name. She's bad at keeping her emotions at bay and you can clearly read her expression like an open book. It's not that hard to know that she actually has something for that little rascal after you see how she stares at Seulgi.

And everything suddenly made sense to me. It's like when you finish connecting the dots and it revelals the picture behind it.

"Well, you're constantly here for her, aren't ya?" I poked her cheek and slowly it grew redder and redder. Bulls eye indeed

"N-no! Of course not!" She yelled in denial but her face betrayed her. "She already has Wendy anyway." Her words were dripping with jealousy over that blonde trouble maker that surprisingly has Irene heart. But Seulgi is as slow as a snail-- no, scratch that. Snails still make progression. She's as slow and as dense as a rock. Irene has been sending lots and lots of signal to her but that dense girl wasn't even aware of it.

"Okay then.. I'll think about it, ok?" I smiled reassuring her. She just nod timidly still trying to cover her flushed face that contrast her greyish hair. I ruffled her hair but she just smiled widely, not caring if I might ruin her hair.

"Fine then. Call me if you're going. We'll go by your boat" She said while pointing at my boat that float idly by the pier. I just nodded and she kissed my cheeks before saying good bye. I exhaled loudly. How I wish that little rascal can notice someone as pretty as Irene and stop being so dense for a minute.

I went inside my house to grab my recently trade packs of seed. I made a good deal with the owner of the supermarket to give me that seeds in a trade with milks. There're tomatoes, corns, and peppers. I grabbed the farming equipment from the storage room with a mini barrow and started to raise my farm to live after a harsh winter.

In this medium sized field, I took my time with my works because I have nothing to be worried and I don't have anything to do for today.

"What was Irene doing here? I saw her downhill and her face is flushed red. Did you do something?" I looked up from my bowing position and lift my cap. Speak of the devil itself.

Seulgi was standing there with with her arm crossed on her chesr and bag hanging on her shoulder. Her face showed a sign of something I can't get my hands on. It's like a mixture of annoyed and.. is that jealousy I see in her eyes?

"Naah I didn't do anything. She's here to give me the letter. No big deal." I waved my hand in front of her face with an unbothered expression on my face and I guess it tics her off in a way.

Her face turned into a scowl as she said something in a barely audible voice, "Why did she kiss you?" So she saw that kiss, huh?.

I pretend I didn't hear her and stood closer to her to , "What? What did you say Seulgi-ssi?"

She looked really pissed off now and tossed her bag on my porch where it landed perfectly on my chair. Seulgi rolled her white shirt sleeve and jeans before taking off her shoes and then threw them to the porch as well. Without permission (which she really doesn't need to do anyway), she grabbed the gardening gloves angrily and wore it.

"Nothing! Now let me help you with that." She forcefully grabbed my hoe and continued my job even faster. I just stiffeled a giggle on how funny these two people are. The dense and the shy fell in love with each other but none dares to say it. I think it's a miracle if they really can work out together to sort their feelings with each other.

I glanced at her back pack on the floor. It looks pretty big and I think it's filled with something big inside it. "Hey Seulgi, what's in the bag?" I asked and pointed at the bag when she look at me. She glanced at the bag and looked at me again.

"Some clothes. Can I stay here tonight?" I just nodded few times and continued my work. I gave her the seeds and she began to plant it according to the vegetables. With another barrow, I went to take the fertilizer for the field.

When I saw Seulgi working really hard with the seeds, suddenly the image of Irene popped in my mind. "By the way, Irene is coming with me tomorrow." I said out of nowhere while pretending not to observe her reaction.

Her monolid eyes widened when I say the news to her. She stopped working for awhile but continue to do her work. From her reaction and how she treated the seeds, I can feel something unsettling in her. Her scowl back on her face and now added with a 'cute' pout. I thought she would say something but she surprised by keeping her silent. But her reaction was already enough for me.

After Seulgi finished planting all the seeds, I gave some organic fertilizer from cow manure. When we both finished with the field and all, we stood by the side and prayed to give us a bountiful harvest this year. I think it's the secret behind the hatvest that everyone always asked to me.

"Okay we're done! Let's wash up and eat something!" Seulgi dragged me inside the house after putting the equipment back in the storage room.

It's already dark by the time we finished washing up and ready for dinner. I cooked us a quick pasta meal and shared Mrs. Bae's wine with her. Seulgi is in the same age as Irene but now she does weird job around the town but mostly will help me here.

We sat together on my porch, staring at the mansion across the lake. The lights from it reflected on the lake, creating a really beautiful dance of light on the surface. After years looking like an abandoned house, finally it shows some human activity that makes the house looks alive with all those lights. Luna and the rest of the maid rarely all of the lights like that since they live in a separated house from the mansion.

"It's pretty, isn't it?" Seulgi said breaking the silence. I nodded in agreement and sunk deeper into my chair. I look up to see the fluorescent lamp hanging on the ceiling. Thoughts running in my mind. The what if's and why's started to make me doubting about my life's decision.

Why did I choose to live here?

Why did I quit my job?

What if my university still want me?

Can I work there again if I got tired here?

A poke on a cheek from no other than Seulgi broke my train of thoughts. "Stop thinking too hard. You'll grow wrinkles soon." She stated. Seulgi stood up from her chair and stretched her body before scratching her back. "Let's go to bed. It's late.".

We both got back inside the house and walked straight to the bed. "Yah, where do you wanna sleep?" I asked at the sleepy bear behind me. Seulgi just raised her shoulder and walked to my room with me. We've had lots of sleepover before so it's okay for her to sleep everywhere she wants. Though I never really said yes to her in the first time but she did that anyway.

Once, she went to my house very late at night. I guess she drank before and she looks drunk as hell. Seulgi walked wobbly inside my house and suddenly she fell down. Luckily I caught her in the last second before her head met with the hard floor. As like that she fell asleep the moment I put her on the couch. The next morning, as I predicted, she got a really bad hangover after that night.

She threw herself on my bed and continued wrapping herself with the blanket. I just sighed- there's nothing I could do anyway. Where Seulgi stops, Seulgi sleeps. I pushed her from invading my bed space with my foot and slept beside her.

"Good night, Amber." Seulgi said followed with a yawn.

"Good night."

---- ----

"GYAAAA!!!"

I quickly open my eyes when I hear the scream of a girl inside my house. I looked at the clock beside me and it's 5.30 AM already.

"Oh my god.." I groaned to myself with a groggy voice. Why people like to disturb my sleep. I don't have milk delivery on Sunday so let me sleep peacefully, for god sake. I reached out my hand to where Seulgi slept last night and I found it already empty. I got up from the bed to search for her and the source of the scream. 

When I left my room, all the lights inside my house has been - Did I forget to turn it off last night?

I saw a pair of a familiar white shoes on my doorstep owned by the one only Irene Bae. The sound of two people yelling at each other could be heard from the kitchen and it got louder by each second.

I guess Irene has met Seulgi the first thing in the morning. At least Seulgi didn't forget to brew some coffee first judging from the smell of coffee coming from the kitchen.

"YOU ERT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" Seulgi barked at the fuming mad Irene whose still holding- actually gripping one of my laundry in her hand. Apparently Seulgi had just finished taking her bath because she wore nothing but a towel and she still dripping wet.

"HOW DARE YOU CALL ME ERT! YOU ARE THE ERT HERE, BEAR!" Irene barked back.

I just stood by the door and stare at the two bickering and they look like they might strangle each other any time soon.

"WHAT?! YAH! WHO LET YOU IN IN THE FIRST PLACE, BUNNY?!" Seulgi snarled again. She didn't really care if she's still wearing a towel and Irene had a trouble keeping her eyes off of her.

"WHAT'S THE DEAL?! IT'S AMBER'S HOUSE AND I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE HERE! YOU STUPID IDIOT DUMB ERT DUMB IDIOT BEAR! YOU'RE SO DENSE YOU CAN'T EVEN NOTICED ANYTHING!" Seulgi face turned even redder when Irene spat those words at her. You can feel the tense atmosphere between them and it gets hotter now.

"DENSE?! YOU CALL ME DENSE?! YOU ARE THE DENSE ONE!" Seulgi answered back puting the stress on 'you'.

Irene shook her head in denial and laughed out loud like a maniac on loose. This is the first time I see her this mad. "I'VE BEEN GIVING YOU SIGN YET YOU STILL HANGING AROUND LIKE A PIMP YOU ARE AND PRETEND IT'S NOTHING! DID YOU SEE THEM?! NOW GO HANG AROUND WITH WENDY YOUR GIRLFRIEND!"

"I DID THE SAME THING TO YOU! BUT YOU STILL BEING LOVEY DOVEY WITH AMBER AND THAT BOGUM GUY FROM THE BOOKSTORE! AND DON'T YOU DARE MENTION WENDY HERE!" Seulgi gripped on her towel and pointed her accusing finger at me. Finally they realize I'm here, but they didn't even care and continue to glare at each other.

"WHY DO YOU CARE ANYWAY?!" Irene folded her arm in front of her chest, waiting for Seulgi's answer. An Angry Bae is really scary. I made a mental not to pissed off Irene ever again.

"WHY?! WHY?! BECAUSE I'M JEALOUS!" Finally she confirmed what I've suspected from her.

Irene was surprised by Seulgi's answer and she was caught off guard. Seulgi was trying to catch her breath but her eyes never left Irene. I know those words they said to each other were the feeling from deep inside their heart.

Silence enveloped the room, each other waiting for the response. "Why?" Irene answered in a whisper but Seulgi still could catch it. Irene gripped on the coffee table for support.

"Why would you be-"

Seulgi collected all her courage and took a quick deep breath, "I like you."

Finally!

Seulgi dropped the question after god knows how long was it. Irene didn't see it coming but her cheeks grew redder by the sudden confession by Seulgi. Irene went silent and let the sudden information sunk in her mind. I took the cue to stop the argument and let them finish it personally.

"Well I think you two could pass as an actress in some sappy crappy romance drama." I walked between them to the dining table and pretend like what happen earlier was nothing.

"Good morning, Irene. Seul, why don't you wear something first and join us for breakfast?" I said to Seulgi. She just nodded timidly and walked to the room we shared last night. When Seulgi walked to the room, Irene couldn't take her eyes off of her and observe her move. "Enjoying what you're seeing?" I teased Irene and earned a slap at the back of my head by her. Her face was still pretty much flushed red but she pretend like she's angry.

She grabbed my laundry with her and walked to the laundry area across the kitchen where I usually iron my clothes. "Thanks for that. What do you want to eat today?" I asked at the girl with iron in her hand. She just shrugged at me so I decided to cook waffle and fried chicken for today.

I observe Irene for awhile. She's so immersed on ironing my clothes, but I know she's still thinking about the confession earlier and straightening her thoughts as well with the clothes.

It's her hobby to do the laundry. Sometimes she would come here to do my laundry if she got bored or saw my unattended dirty laundry in the corner even though I didn't even call her for help. I think she has a sixth sense for sensing dirty clothes. And you should see how happy she is when she saw a discount tag on her favorite detergent. It was like christmas came early this year for her.

Seulgi walked back in the room with a newspaper in her hand. She sat at one of the four empty seat and began to read her paper.

"Anyone's home?" I turned around and saw Wendy peeking by the door. Her face lit up when she saw Seulgi and her smile got even wider when I place the breakfast on the table.

"Perfect! I haven't had my breakfast." Wendy sat herself and her lips at the sight of the steaming waffles and fried chicken. When she realize I've been staring at her, Wendy just smiled, "The front door wasn't locked so I came in.". I just nodded and shrugged. She's welcome here anytime just like Irene and Seulgi. They're all born in the same years, that could explain their close bond with each other.

"We will eat well!." The three of them said before grabbing their plate and the food. Irene sat beside me while Seulgi and Wendy sat on the opposite chair.

The eerie atmosphere hasn't left Irene and Seulgi but they're still glancing at each other once in a while. I just stay quiet but Wendy in the other wouldn't stop looking back and forth at Irene and Seulgi.

"Uh.. Is there something wrong with you.. guys?" Wendy hesitated but still dare to say the question. In a flash Irene and Seulgi shook their head in denial, but again theit face betrayed them as they grew redder and Seulgi had to fake a cough.

"Wendy, will you go to the party?" I asked her to avert her attention from the awkward duo whose now still secretly looking at each other.

Wendy nodded her head furiously, "Of course! It's going to be awesome to have a party in that freaking huge house." She said enthusiastically. Finally I managed to bring out the chatter box Son to lighten up the mood. Sometimes Seulgi would say something or answer the question from Wendy. Irene still choose to keep quiet but still listening to the conversation. Finally after that intense atmosphere we could enjoy our time with ease.

Wendy and Seulgi voluteered to wash the dishes so I helped Irene sorting my clothes into the closet. "So, what will happen now?" I decided to speak up to the girl whose still in deep thoughts.

Irene sighed, "I don't know. At least I'm certain that my feeling for her is mutual, but.. I'll take it slowly." She weakly smiled after that. She went closer so I hugged her and her hair slowly.

"Hey Am- Whoa, what's this?"

I turned around and I saw Seulgi at the door. Irene let go of the hug and gave her a weak smile. I walked closer at her and pulled her by her shoulder. "Take things slowly. She wants to go slowly. I'm supporting your decision" I whispered to her ear and she slowly nodded and gave me a thankful smile.

"The party is in the evening, so who wants to help me water the field?" I asked enthusiastically.

And as predicted it was answered with a choir of groans

---- ----

The clock struck 7 and it's almost the time for the house party. They said I should dress comfortably so I go with a black jeans with a grey button up shirt and added with my spectacles because it's pretty hard for me to see clearly.

Sigh.. The price I have to pay for those study and school.

Irene, Wendy, and Seulgi were already waiting by the door. Irene wore a white floral dress, Seulgi wore a white button up shirt with mini prints of boats on it while Wendy decided to wear a simple knee length navy blue dress that made here even cuter.

"So everyone's ready?" I asked as I locked my house. We got on the boat and I started paddling. It took about 20 minutes of paddling from the shore to the house and because I already got used to physical activity I didn't even break a sweat. I threw the rope to the maid at the dock and she tied my boat at the pier after we got off the boat.

When I got inside the mansion, I felt like I was into a different world. The architecture of the building was really really beautiful with the breath taking garden lit by small lights. I could hear the chatter of people from the other side of the mansion.

"This way." A maid showed us the way to the back yard where the party was held. Seulgi and Irene went on their own to meet Irene's parent while Wendy chatted with Grandma Kim, the owner of the bakery and they began to talk about some baking recipe and something related to cake. So I got left alone in this crowded party.

"May I offer you a drink?" A middle-aged man handed me a glass of wine and I took it after I bowed a bit at him. He sipped his own wine and I took the cue to start drinking as well. I almost shed tears when I realize I've fulfilled my dream to drink the wine of this house. Luna should've seen this precious moment.

"So you are.." He offered his hand as he asked.

"My name is Amber Liu. I own a farm just across the lake." We shookhands and I smiled.

"I'm Mr. Jung. Welcome to the party." He smiled warmly. Mr. Jung looked at the rest of the party and smiled to himself, feeling contented seeing his house finally filled with people.

"Say Amber- Can I call you that?" He asked me and I quickly nodded. He smiled and continued, "Do you like plants?". I nodded again, "I used to.. study them back in university."

He nodded slowly after my answer. "My youngest daughter is studying about plants. I guess both of you can be friend with each other. I don't know where she is now. Maybe she's busy talking with the guest." He laughed and tapped my shoulder a few times.

"Will you excuse me, I have to greet the other guest. It's nice talking with you, Amber." Once again he smiled and left me after I bowed at him. He talked with Mr and Mrs. Bae with Irene and Seulgi by her side.

I grab another glass of wine and sat on an empty chair facing the lake. I adjust my spectacles and look at the moon hiding behind the cloud accompanied with the stars around it.

This is one of the reason why I like about this place. You can't really see stars in the big cities because of the light polution from the tall building, but here you can see them clearly because everything was still natural. I closed my eyes and let the gentle breeze caressed me.

Suddenly I heard the sound of something falling into the water and the sound of splashing water.

I opened my eyes and checked on the water but it's too dark for me to see. I ran to the dock to look for the source of the sound.

The sound of splashing water got intensified. The wind blew the cloud away and by the moon light I could finally see a figure about 25 meter from the shore with a- is that a boat?

"H-help!" My eyes widened when I finally heard her faint voice.

"HELP! SOMEONE'S DROWNING!" I yelled to the crowd. Mr. Jung ran to me followed with his maid behind him. I pointed at the figure and the male maid quickly jumped onto the motor boat.

He tried to turn on the engine but it always failed. "It's not working!" His voice was shaky and fear was visible in his face. "Do something!" Mr. Jung barked in desperation but it didn't help at all.

I know that boat was hopeless so I did the thing no one dared to do. "Let's hope the water is not that cold." I said to Mr. Jung

"What are you-"

SPLASH!

it's cold!

I ignored the cold on my skin and kept on swimming as fast as I could to the figure. I finally see clearly that it's a girl when I got closer. She was struggling to stay on the surface. I wrapped my hand around her and swam back to the shore.

"Prepare towel!" I yelled to the maid when I got closer to the dock. The maid pointed their flashlight at me to check my condition and the girl, but honestly they hurt my eyes.

Two maids kneeled on the dock and reached out their hands to take the now unconscious girl. I pushed her first before lift myself up. They placed her on top of a cloth. Her lips has turned as pale as her skin.

"It's Young Miss!" The maid scream in horror and tried her best to wake her up. I ran closer to her and kneeled beside her. I checked her pulse and fear started to creep in my spine when I couldn't feel it. I positioned my hand on her chest and performed a CPR to bring back her pulse.

"Come on!" I yelled as I tried hard to save her. Thank god I took that first aid lesson in high school. I checked her breathing and I still got nothing. I pushed her forehead and opened . I did the CPR again and finally after a few times she coughed out all the water and opened her eyes. She stared at me for a while but fell unconscious again.

"Young Miss!" The maid wrapped her with towel and brought her inside. A maid gave me a towel and I use it to dry myself. I sat at the edge of the dock and drapped the towel around me.

"Will she be okay?" Mr. Jung asked me with worry in his eyes. I just nodded, "Yes. She will be okay soon." I smiled warmly at him.

He shed tears of relief and smiled, "Thank you so much, Amber. Thank you so much for saving my daughter. I owe you my life." He bowed even deeper. It took me by surprise to see him bowed that deep and I quickly stood up. "No it's okay Mr. Jung" I tried to straighten himself and tapped his shoulder. I smiled warmly at him, encouraged him to stay strong. He wiped his tears and excuse himself to see his daughter.

I walked to the bathroom but I stopped at my track when I realize something.

"Where's my glasses?"

 

---- ----

Hello it's Jeon back with the second chapter of TLOAF (The Life Of A Farmer) lol

So how's this chapter for you? It's the longest chapter I've ever done. Whew.. 

I hope you like this one and thank you for the subs and comments! ^^

See you next time and don't forget to stay healthy!