Chapter 1

In Our Darkest Hour

Winnie open her eyes slowing adjusting to the light in the room. She rubbed her eyes, trying to get the sleepiness out her. She stifled a yawn, and turned over to reach for the desk, grabbing her phone. 3:30 pm. Great. She still had time to go back to sleep before having to get up to start on her homework, but she was also not feeling sleepy anymore.

 

She got up and sat on her bed, and unlocked her phone. Scrolling through her Instagram, she stumbled upon her Unnie’s recent post. It read: “Look at Oppa’s new apartment! Wish you were here too baby Dongsaeng @winnieeeeeeee… See ya back home in a few days time ok? Good luck on your exams! Hwaiting!

 

Winnie inwardly sighed. She too wished that she was there together with her Unnie and Oppa. Instead, she was stuck at home because she had her National Examinations coming up and she had to locked up her room slaving away at books until she had finished her last paper. Or so that’s what Unnie had said. It was only after a long persistent whining and promises of taking many selfies and photos that Winnie finally gave in to her Unnie. She loved her Unnie too much and would never let her down.

 

Life was not always like that. At a very young age, her parents got into a divorce, her father becoming an alcoholic and abusing her family. When he left, her mother spiraled into depression, often screaming and cursing that it was her children’s fault that her husband left her. It was one day that police barged into their home and snatched her away in suspicion of heroin abuse. Since then, none of the siblings had seen their parents again. Their oldest, their Oppa, only 14 at that time had to throw himself onto the streets and sell street food. Her Unnie, only 11 at that time, stayed home to care for little Winnie, who was still 4. That was how the three of them grew up; learning to care for one another, for they knew they only had each other’s backs. Unnie and Oppa took care of her as if they were her parents. As she was barely old enough to remember anything, all she could remember is of her mother hysterically screaming and beating her, and it was only when Oppa came and rescue her from her abusive mom that she stopped. She did not consider that woman her mom. A mom would not have done that to her daughter. And she had no memory of her father.

 

After many years of hardship, Oppa has learnt to become a businessman. He stopped selling street food, and opened a KBBQ (Korea Barbeque) restaurant, which saw moderate success. That was when their family was able to move out of hardship and live a normal but humble lifestyle. Soon, business opportunities appeared in the city Incheon. Much to both Winnie and Unnie’s reluctance, Oppa decided to leave Seoul and expand their business there, promising to support them and not forget them while he is away from home. Turns out, his business blossomed and the family saw wealth and happiness after many years of hardship. Looking at the Instagram post of Oppa’s new apartment, looks like he was not doing too bad himself.

 

Winnie smiled to herself as she posted a comment: “@wendylovesunicorns Ya! It was you that got me stuck in back at home! How dare you! Just kidding… Wished I was there too. Please come back home soon. I miss both for you. ^^

 

After hitting the ‘Enter’ button, she laid back down on her bed, closing her eyes to rest for a bit. Her peace was interrupted by the sounds of screaming outside her window.

 

Curious, she looked out, only to see a swarm of frightened people running away from something. Sirens blared across the panic-stricken streets. Police cars pulled over hastily, and several policemen wasted no time in climbing out of their vehicles and shooting at civilians. Or were they? Upon a closer look, they were not really… normal human beings. Sure, they looked like one, walked on two legs and even wore clothes, but something about their demeanor was disturbing. Rather than running for their lives like everyone else, they seemed to be limping. They swarmed over their victims like a locusts, completely overwhelming them until all is left is their dying screams as their flesh is ripped apart from their bodies. They also seem to be resistant to gunshots. They seem ignorant to pain, making no reaction when shot and only falling to the ground after several rounds of shots, lifeless.

 

Zombies. Winnie thought to herself. From how many horror films she had spent late night indulging herself in, she knew that it had to be it. But, how? Aren’t they supposed to exists only in movies? Is what she is seeing real? She could not believe her eyes. She was frozen, bewildered at the sight before her, her mind running wild and she could not trust her heart to tell her what to do.

 

Winnie was so shocked at the scene before her eyes that she almost did not catch the movement coming towards her way; a car has skidded off the road and was heading towards her house. She reacted at the very last second, ducking down to take cover just as the vehicle crashed into her house. She crouched in that position for as long as she could. But when she heard her front door busted open, she knew she had to have a different plan. Someone, or something was in her house, and she had to hide. Panicking, she looked around her room, trying to find a suitable spot for her to hide. Damnit, Winnie! Think! She thought to herself. She knew time was running out when she heard not one, but several footsteps approaching her bedroom. Having no other options, she ran to the door and slammed it shut.

 

Grabbing whatever heavy objects she could, she pushed them against the door, in an attempt to barricade it. Chairs, her school bags, tons and tons of books stacked on top of one another. She even toppled one of her bookshelves. But all of this seemed futile as the barricade seem to give way slowly but surely under the persistent banging of her door. She knew it was time to plan B. But in her current state, her mind was racing and nothing could come of that little brain of hers. She looked around, desperately trying to find a way out. Then, her eyes landed on her make-up desk. An idea flashed in her mind. From all the zombie movies she had watched, she remembered that one of the things that zombies were attracted to was smell. And there it was, standing atop make-up desk was the present her Unnie gotten on her 17th birthday – a perfume bottle. She had not used much of it, seeing that she was not a huge fan of perfumes, but now, it might be the very thing that saves her life.

 

But still, she needed to find a place to hide. Seeing as how small her bedroom is, the closet would be her best bet. She knew had not much time as the intruders are starting to break through. Hurriedly, Winnie did not even think twice and grabbed the perfume bottle.

 

 

All was silent, except for the obnoxious, guttural growl coming from outside the closet doors. Other than that, the silence was deafening. Even a drop of a pin drop could cause the loudest of sounds. Winnie knew that she could not make a single sound. She held her breath for as long as she could, only taking tiny amounts of breaths, so that those creatures could not hear her breathing, or so she thought. She dared not even a muscle, despite it cramping up and causing her discomfort. From the tiny gap from underneath the doors, she could make out at least three different pairs of feet. They were wandering around the room, sniffing and tumbling things over. One of them went over the closet she was at. A rancid stench washed over her, threatening to choke her and making her cough. Scratching sounds can be made, and the door rattled violently. Winnie took all she could just not to scream right then and there. Soon, it began to lose interest and walk away.

 

After what seem like an eternity, those intruders left. The house was left in absolute silence once again. But Winnie had not dare move at all. She stayed still for what seemed like an eternity.

 

---------------------  Author's Notes ---------------------

Sorry I took so long to upload this chapter. Hope you enjoy!~