Prologue

In Our Darkest Hour

A thickening mist lay over the woods, creating a white suffocating blanket that covered the entire area. An eerie silence settles over the forest, for no living has stepped foot miles around for ages. Even the trees have long withered, and the stench of decomposition defiles the air. Well within the fog lies a path, leaf-littered. It was about 5 meters long, enough for a car to drive through if anyone even dared to enter this forsaken part of the world. 

In the distance, small thudding sounds can be heard. As the sounds came closer and louder, it became obvious that they were footsteps. Many footsteps, in fact. The footsteps marched in unison, creating a rhythm that cuts through the unnatural silence. Soon, one of them can be seen. Followed by a few more that appeared into view, about a dozen of them in total. Draped in robes the shade of midnight, a drastic contrast from the wiry, pale fingers that poked out from their sleeves. They marched along the path with perfect synchronization, and formed a perimeter around something in the center that they are clearing trying to protect, or prevent it from escaping. 

The night has taken over the landscape by the time the group arrived at their destination. It was a like a giant fortress, made of obsidian material. An eerie green light emits from the windows and corridors, casting a sickly glow. Countless guttural creatures crawled around. They were once humans, but now nothing humane remains in their soulless bodies. Their clothes tattered and thorn, they wandered aimlessly, waiting for their master to pull their strings and control them. The group marched on, ignoring them.

They arrived at a chamber, empty save for the glowing hexagonal shape drawn at the center of the floor. Several inscriptions were marked around shape, forming intricately deliberate patterns. The black-robe creatures slowly parted, revealing what they were ‘protecting’ the entire journey. There were two men, one significantly taller than the other. The shorter one was trembling, scared out of his wits.

“Are we going to die?” He whimpered.

The taller said in a low voice, “keep it together, everything will be fine. The rest will come and rescue us, I’m sure of it. And we will…”

Their conversation was interrupted by a black mist foaming around the hexagonal shape. The mist cleared to form a grotesque figure. Much like the others, he was draped in the same pitch-black robe as the others, but his face was severely deformed, and stood slightly taller, dwarfing everyone else in the room. Yet, he had an aura about him - malevolent, heartless and very powerful.

When he spoke, his voices echoed around the room, and the very air vibrated. All including the two men stood still like a statue and listened.

“Really? I don’t think any of your friends can find you. You will be dead long before they even arrive.” He scoffed. “I must say, I am surprised your band of misfits even survived for this long. Now, at long last, my efforts have come to fruition. I must admit, I had wished to have captured your entire group, but I guess you two will make to do.”

"You will never succeed, you evil bastard." The taller male spat. "Even if you kill us, our brothers will avenge our death. Your plans will be for naught."

So called 'evil bastard' stepped closer towards the two of them, "Is that so? My friend, I believe you've gotten it all wrong." He cackled in laughter, distorting his face even more. "You see, as we speak, my plans are set in motion. What you may not know is there are forces in action. Forces that you don't understand, forces that I created. The darkness has finally arrived. It will envelope the world and shroud it in darkness, and destroy the sad sad rebel force of yours that cause me so much trouble."

He stood directly in front of the pair. “What a pity, you two will never see the end of the world but I guess it ends here. Say your prayers.”

"Wait! Don't!" the shorter male exclaimed, looking away because all eyes were on him now.

The evil man walked over to him. His face was so close to the other, their noses nearly touching. The shorter was visibly terrified, gaze cast downwards to avoid the other's intensifying glare, and was shaking uncontrollably. Mustering what little courage he has left, he whimpered. "We will do anything you ask of us. Please, spare us."

The taller turned to him. "What are you saying?" He asked, eyes wide as he is not believing what he is hearing. "Are you trying to..."

"Don't you see? We have no other choice." The other pleaded. "Don't you want to live? We can figure this out together. We don't have to die this way."

The argument went on, but was quickly interrupted by a booming voice that overpowered both theirs.

"ENOUGH. I am done talking to the both of you. I have other matters to attend to." The evil man smirked.

 

 

As the black-robe creatures dragged the two men out of the chamber, one remained. He walked up to the hexagon, kneeling down. “Your orders, milord.” He said.

A crooked smile formed from the other’s lips. “You'll see. That in the long run, they might be of use to our plans. What we need now, is a way to destory that rebel group EXO that is stopping us from succeeding. But they might prove to provide the answers we need."

He stride back to the hexagon. A black mist enveloped him, his presence slowing dissipating to thin air. At the very last second, a faint whisper of his voice can be heard. "Alas, the time is upon us. A Let the invasion begin.”