Chapter Two

Catch Me When I Fall

Chapter Two 


Some people comes into our lives and some people gets out of our lives. My parents are the most precious ones for me, just like how I should be to them. I came into their lives, but they were the ones who got out of my life. I was just 10 years old when they divorced. I used to dream of paradise until they separated. After settling into my uncles house, every dream reminded me of hell. When I was cold in the harsh winter nights, I would always end up sleeping between my parents. I would always think - I still do but I already gave up - life would have no meaning if a child has no parents. My father was my superman and my mother was my superwoman. I was happy with them. 

I'd be lying if I said I didn't try contacting my father. I was around 16 or 17, I found where his house was located at. I, of course, was upset and angry at my father because he left me all alone at a very young age. But finding where he lived gave me some hope. Maybe he'd want me this time, I purely thought. 

So I sneaked out of my uncles house on a school day without them knowing and went over one morning. My father was living in a tall building, it was not like my uncle's 3 storied, gardened house. The moment I got out of the lift, my heart started beating faster due to excitement and some kind of hope. I took a deep breath and rang the bell. The door opened and I came face to face with a woman carrying a toddler on her arm. I first thought I rang the wrong bell of some neighbor in the apartment. 

"Who is it, darling," I heard someone say, It sounded very familiar. 

But I, of course, didn't even want to think of any other thoughts. The woman standing in front of me did not bother answering the said person's question, and was probably waiting for an explanation from me. I looked down to my feet. Just as I was going to talk, the familiar voice talked. 

"What do you want young guy?" He asked. I looked up, my mind and my body froze at the spot. The said man also seemed to be frozen, because his mouth dropped open in shock. 

"Who is this guy, daddy?" A little girl talked. 

I swallowed and blinked, feeling like everything yet nothing. I felt stupid, shocked, useless like an old something that has lost all it's speciality. Every single thing in my life was pointless at the moment. 

He re-married and had kids. He did not take care of me but he is taking care of his new kids. 

"Luhan..." my father -my used to be father- said with a shaky voice. He was going to say something else but I quickly turned and pressed the lift button. I heard him shout my name and some others talking but I quickly got in the lift the moment it arrived. 

The moment I got out of the building I started running. Running for my useless, meaningless life. It's funny actually, my parents re-married and had kids, but they left me all alone.

The moment I arrived at the park, I sat on one of the swings, head bent down, arms on my knees, hands clasped, I started crying myself out. My parents used to bring me to the park in our neighborhood every weekend. We would do picnics, I'd play football with my father, and my mother would watch us while sitting on the picnic mat. She would clap with a big smile whenever I scored a goal. My father would help me swing whenever I wanted to, and he'd make me fly so high. I would look to where my mom was sitting and wave at her, she'd do the exact same thing. And at the end of the day dad would drive us back to our warm house with big smiles and laughters. 

But every memory is left in the past. 

My parents have moved on. 

But I haven't. 

When I went back to my uncles house that evening. I quickly went up to my room, shutting the door closed. I threw myself on the bed and just stared blankly at the ceiling, deep in painful thoughts. 


The door opened and someone came in and sat on my bed. It was my uncle. 

"You didn't go to school, son," he stated. He sighed when I didn't even bother answering nor reacting to him.

"You have to move on, too, you know. We can't live in the past when we're already in the future. I know, you must be feeling like your whole world is crushed down. But, son, don't give up on anything. Your school, dancing, and most importantly yourself and your life. Yes, you might be saying what is the meaning of life when they have already left me and they have a new lifestyle. 

But our lives are the most precious, you should never give up no matter how big your problem is.  I know my words might not be very encouraging but like I said, you shouldn't give up just because they have started a new. Have faith in you, always. You are going to graduate high school this year, look up to your future. We of course don't know what holds us in the future but it won't hurt to work and make plans for the future, son." 

He patted my shoulder, he then chuckled, pointing at himself, "Also, don't forget this old grumpy man who talks a lot sometimes, Luhan," 

My lips dared to curve a little, and that didn't go unseen from my uncles eyesight. 


He patted my head, "It's already getting late, are you sure you don't want to eat your aunties delicious food?" He asked. 

I shook my head, "No, thank you... grumpy man." I answered him, he laughed loudly and my smile got a little more visible. 

"Okay, then. Rest well, my dear son." My uncle said, standing from my bed. 

"May you dream of paradise tonight." His last sentence took me by surprise. 

He looked down at me, "My mother would always say that to your father and I every bedtime." He nodded his head, smiling sadly. 

"Thank you..." I murmured, when he opened the door. I thought he didn't hear me. 

"Anytime, son, anytime." The old man said before closing the door behind him.