Chapter 2

Don't miss your chance

Luhan has been standing there for a long time already and staring at me, not believing the words I said. He’s shocked, it wasn’t something he would expect so I’m not alone in this matter. I also haven’t expected it, neither have I considered something like this but in the end life is likely to surprise us, not in a positive way. I prop my cheek with a fist, not shifting my gaze from Luhan. Finally he makes a move, taking few steps in this or that direction, in the meanwhile clutching his head in disbelief, when he finally take a seat on a couch. He doesn’t look in my direction, he stares at the same tv I’ve been staring at a while ago. I was about to speak up when he turned in my direction.

“Why?” He asks, not hiding his surprise and I sigh quietly. “Everything was fine, wasn’t it.”

“It was said to be kinda fine” I nod my head.

“Said to? Kinda?” He lifts eyebrows. “Did you fight?”

I nod my head in agreement and Luhan seems even more taken aback.

“Did he not treat you right?”

“No, he did treat me right.” I agree but I add something quickly. “Maybe it was even too good.”

Brown-haired guy frowns in confusion about the whole situation, which leaves me with no choice and I get up, approaching the windows. I cross hands on my chest and look outside the window, staring down in the corner of my eye.

“He cheated on me.” I confess finally, feeling as at the same time someone was sliding a grate down my throat.

My friend doesn’t speak up, so I look at him over my shoulder. He seats stiff, fixing his eyes on me. He looks as if he was waiting for me to say it’s a joke but I can’t do it, unfortunately. I walk up to him, pat his shoulder and take a seat next to him. Now both of us are fixing our eyes on TV screen and keeping quite. None of us speaks up. I have nothing more to say and Luhan is trying to absorb new information. He likes my ex boyfriend. Ever since I introduced them to each other, they were on insanely good terms, what made me extremely happy. I’d rather have them being friendly than hating on each other, that would be too burdensome for all of us. I run my hand through my hair and clear my throat, when a question reaches my ears.

“For how long?”

I shake my head.

“I have no idea.” I answer, leaning against the back and lean my head back. “I don’t know if it was a onetime thing or did he do it for several times, maybe it was just a fling, which was going on for months already. I didn’t let him say anything, he was too busy to explain himself anyway.”

“How... do you know?”

“I caught them red-handed.”

The man runs his hands against his face and joins me. We stare into the ceiling, sighing deeply. That’s a kinda weird feeling - my best friend going through exactly same thing as me, while I should have got it in the neck for caring so much and giving my ex satisfaction with my breakdown and when it comes to my ex boyfriend, he should have been slapped in the face. Nothing was indicating for it to happen, at least not when it comes to Luhan. At times he used to be more into my relationship than his own love life, stating that no one who’s interested in him wouldn’t be able to give me what Yixing gave me. Maybe it served him right.

I take a look at my phone, which has been vibrating for a while already. I squint my eyes, trying to see who’s the caller, although I know too well who’s not been giving me a break for all that time. I seat straight, grab my phone and take a while staring at the caller’s name, before I click the red sign to reject the call.

“Does he still call you?” He asks and I nod my head in answer. “Have he visited you?”

“He was banging on the door few times.” I admit, standing up and turning the phone off. “My neighbor drove him off, saying that if no one opens the door, then there’s no one home and if he doesn’t leave, she’ll call the police.”

I look at Luhan, who is staring at me with sad eyes. I ruffle his hair, going to the kitchen. I didn’t eat anything for 2 days and I start to feel hungry, although I still feel like throwing up at the mere thought of putting anything in my mouth. The only thing that can go through it is water. I’m angry, disappointed and sad but I don’t want to be sick because of him. I open fridge and take a look – it’s empty. I close it, wondering why I didn’t buy at least eggs.

“Let’s go eat something” I suggest, leaving the room.

 

 

We’re in a bistro located at the corner of the block of flats in front of mine. There’s lots of people although it’s not even noon. I believe most of them are here since yesterday and just haven’t gone back home yet. I make an order, which consists of eggs with bacon and toasts, along with a coffee. Luhan is contemplating, going through the menu which was handed to him by a quite nice worker of this place. I eye each of present person there. No one is emanating with happiness or enthusiasm, everyone is going either through hangover or serious talks – normal ones or through phone. In the background you can hear Hymn For The Weekend, at which I sigh quietly. That song makes me think about him. About the time when we were making love on wet grass by the campfire at my friends’ place, while everyone went to sleep long time before.
 

I shake my head and hurry my friend to decide finally. He only murmurs under his breath that the choice of food is a serious thing and you can’t make it in hurry. In the end he orders the same dish as me. We don’t wait for too long, I’ve always liked this place right because of the fact that the food they prepare is done quickly and delicious. During the night you can complain to the impassive bartender, who knows already tons of various life stories and when he’s in a good mood, you might even get a free drink.

We start eating, in my head I’m waiting until the song ends and pretend to be unaffected, not letting anyone notice anything, even the fact that my head is again bursting from all the memories. Luhan’s phone starts to ring, right at the same time with the last words of song being played out through the speakers. He takes out his phone and I examine his confused expression. He has no clue what to do.

“Yixing?” I ask, putting some of eggs in my mouth.

He nods his head, at what I stretch my hand in his direction. He hands me the device reluctantly, I take it and with no second thoughts I hang up on the call. I choose the right contact and block the number in order to hand back to my friend his belonging, going back to eating.

The waitress walks up to us, takes the dirty dishes and leaves a bill. We both take a look at it but I decide to pay it whole. It wasn’t a fortune and, in the end, I was the one to suggest a breakfast here instead of a quick walk to a shop for some food. We stand up, wear our hoodies and leave the place. I tilt my head back and look at cloudy sky, in the next moment noticing big raindrops falling down from it. We head toward the pedestrian crossing.

“There’s a party tomorrow” He states suddenly.

I look at him.

“Where?”

He shrugs slightly, while we walk to the opposite side of the road.

“Same place as always but apparently there’s going to be more people. You should come, it will do you good.”

“You think so?” I mutter, opening the doors to the building.

I glance at him and he nods his head confidently. I watch him for a moment, thinking it over. We attended parties very often and always had lots of fun but it was a different case. I don’ t think I was in a mood for it.

“I’ll consider it and let you know” I promise him.

Luhan flashes a smile and pats me on the shoulder. We say goodbye, while I enter the block of flats.

I walk the stairs, in the meanwhile taking keys out of my pockets. I quickly find the one to the flat and grab it in order to not waste my time on finding the right one in front of the door. I walk up to the second floor, directing my steps toward my flat. After few steps I stop and everything falls out of my hand. The echo fills out the corridor when metal thing meets floor. I barely manage to swallow and fix my eyes on a bit taller than me, dark-haired guy, who stands up from the floor. I squint my eyes and take a step back, right when he directs his first steps toward me. The man sighs deeply.

“Baekkie, stop it.”

I shake my head.

“What do you want?”

“A talk.”