Sana

When a cold heart thaws

This chapter happens immediately after Jeongyeon's chapter.

--

Despite the sociological truth of humans being gregarious beings, she was one to prefer solitude. She couldn’t really remember a time when she really enjoyed the company of others, not that said company was pleasant enough for her to enjoy.

When the rowdy group of trainees came into her life, she stood by them, reluctantly (“you have to make, friends,” that ’s words rung in her head), and withstood the fact that she wouldn’t be alone anymore, as if they were chaperones of some sorts, inviting her everywhere, and inviting themselves into her own business.

However, now, as she lay in bed, the events past moments ago (she’s not aware how much time passed), and a worried Sana sitting at the corner of the bed, she felt nothing but a ferocious need of not having to see another human being. No, not just any human being, THEM. raw, and her mind in a disarray, she could only think of one phrase to answer Sana’s question.

“Leave me alone.”

But no, Sana, being Sana, would not leave her alone. Instead, she would smile, sadly, sympathetically, and would be sitting there, unmoved by Momo’s callous tone.

“Peachy, it’s not bad to feel bad,” she would say, patting her leg. She flinched at her touch, and felt immediate remorse when Momo saw the hurt flashing through her clear eyes.

Why couldn’t she leave her alone? Why couldn’t she just get out of her life?

She wanted to. She wanted so badly to lash out at Sana.

Just leave! I don’t need any of you! Why don’t you understand that?

I don’t need you…

But she couldn’t. She wouldn’t. It’s as if an invisible being stopped Momo from screaming at her, from hurting the only person that has confused her as much as she has. Her idealisms wouldn’t break her, Momo would, if she screamed what was at the top of her mind, the words that she had screamed alone in that closet, when he left her there, alone and unwanted, unfed and humiliated.

Instead, she sat up, and, as soon as Sana was within reach, she held her hand.

Every part of her body was in overdrive, her hand burned, and her mind spinned, telling her to get away, to push, to run, to jump where the darkness is.

But she didn’t.

With all the strength left in her being, she held onto Sana’s hand.

And, it seemed she understood, even when she didn’t have a smile on her face to prove.

She looked at Momo straight in the eye, and the thought of Sana looking the most mature she has ever crossed the back of Momo’s mind, but she paid no heed. What she was focused on was in Sana’s eyes, that is, until the owner of those eyes herself engulfed her in a hug.

It came out of nowhere, and yet, she expected it. It was just so Sana. So confusing, so warm, so comforting, so sweet. And she melted.

Sana patted her back, humming a song with her dulcet tone, while Momo choked back tears, containing the sobs lodged in the best she could. No questions, no inquiries, no words.

“Come on, they’re waiting for us.”

The project was already finished, and everything was tidy, not a spot of the humongous amount of food they had ordered.

Nobody mentioned anything about the incident. Instead, they decided to watch Grease while they laughed at the stupidity of the plot, and, for once, Momo agreed with them, hiding signs of amusement of their commentary between her hands.

When she was alone again, her apartment empty, she acknowledge that her heart had cracked, and she didn’t know if it would be for the better or for worse.