Chapter 9: Devastatingly Lost

Journey: Unhoped For

 

 

Youngjae wake up from his deep slumber, one hand rubbing his eyes to adjust to the brightness of the blazing sunlight. His body feels a bit sore from sleeping uncomfortably at the tree, but he admit it worth it for he got a really nice sleep after being awake for the whole night. His mind slowly come to realization on the reason he is sleeping there in the first place. Youngjae groan while trying to push the thought away and successfully did so when his stomach rumble loudly. 

 

Only then that he realise how hungry he is. Youngjae assume that it is around afternoon, judging by the sunlight permeating through the gaps of the trees and he observe the state of the area he's sitting at. Nothing as alive as him were around, well, nobody would blindly enter this creepy looking woods without thinking like he did. So much to expect somebody was around to seek company from. 

 

Youngjae slowly stand up and briefly streched out his numb limbs. He shrugged off his sweater jacket when he can feel pespiration streaks down his torso. It's quite hot being in the open space during this time. Youngjae might get a heat strock if he keep wearing the jacket, thus he opted to fold it on his elbow and start walking ahead.

 

Little did he notice the soft thud on the ground caused by his fallen phone when he walk passed the tree he sleeps on earlier.

 

Youngjae turn his head to his left and right, seeing as there's no any possible way for him to go straight anymore. He confuse by the fact he didn't remember whether he had to choose any direction like how he going through now when he come here this morning. As far as he can rack his brain back to his little adventure from before, Youngjae only take the straight track until he reach the big portruding tree.

 

Although he's blinded by sadness, he know not to act reckless by choosing random way when coming to the woods. Hence, he choose only the straight direction to ease him back to the resort. But now, he couldn't understand why the path seems crossing and changed from how he had passed before. That's weird.

 

Youngjae can feel the uneasiness settling in the pit of his stomach, but he will himself not to bother about it. He need to find a way back home. Trusting his instinct, Youngjae choose the right side path, well since it seems less suspicious than the left one. 

 

He go through the scattered twigs and subsconsciously kick the leaves litter along the way. Youngjae take about 15 minutes of continuous walking ahead of the way, but it seems endless on his view. He started to doubt his choice but nonetheless keep stepping forward. Youngjae look down and notice no more twigs or leaves spread around the woods floor instead the ground covered with full of wild grass. Somehow, that limiting his moves and Youngjae need extra effort to move his legs avoiding the lanky wild grass. The struggle is real and what more accompanied by a protesting stomach, hungry for food. All the while Youngjae mentally motivating himself not to give up. His effort appear to come as a victory when he spotted reliable looking junction. Youngjae hurriedly head there only to find it is familiar.

 

The younger vocalist frowning when he realize this is the starting point where he has started his track to go home previously. Youngjae move a bit to the side and true to his suspicion, there are two path leading to where he hope his escape route. Earlier, he has choosen the right one and here he was. Getting lead back to the starting point. Unwilling to give up on his first attempt, he decided to go through the same path again. Maybe, just maybe he missed something that could take him home along his first stride. Youngjae determine to find out his way back and with a heavy sigh he start walking to the right path way.

 

Not long after, Youngjae could see the junction again. The sweat thickly trailing down his face and he wipe them with his sleeves. His attempt turn out futile, Youngjae come out back only to find the junction again. He slowly slid down and sitting down, need a rest after hours of walking and the fatigue starting to take a toll on him. Plus his rumbling stomach, Youngjae could bring himself to think. He's tired, hungry and devastated. 

 

Despite that, he persuade himself to stand up and take a breath. He need to be positive. Whatever it is, there must be a way to leave and he is Yoo Youngjae, the brain of the group, so he will the way no matter what it takes. Although his patience wearing thin with each attempt he takes, he promise this will be the last time he gonna follow his instinct. Youngjae glance at the left path and shudder when a subtle wind brushes against his face though when he turn around the trees behind him did not as much sway or moving due to the wind.

 

What..was that?

 

Youngjae turn his head looking at the left path again. He swallow some lump in his throat yet it did nothing to calm his nerve. The longer Youngjae stare at the path, the creepier he get. It looks so spooky and vague of any exit. Youngjae proceed to take his last attempt and turn to the right path. He start his stride with building hope to find the escape of this woods and reunite with the other members. Himchan must be worried sick with his disappearance. Although the diva often pick a banter with him, he still the mom of the group. Or so how Himchan had claimed him to be. With a newfounded will, Youngjae become slightly lighten up along his stride, wanting to leave the woods desperately.

 

---

 

 

Youngjae keep on running, a hand clutching his sweater jacket to his chest. He see the way that possible to lead him out. He run with all his might, nearly stumble down when his feet caught on some sticking out small roots yet he manage to balance himself to keep run ahead. It's getting near and near, he'll arrive in no time, and a smile make it way on his pretty face.

 

Youngjae slowly come to a stop, although he suddenly look bewildered. "This can't be it. I swear I saw the way out", Youngjae softly whisper. His smile falter, replaced with a scowl. He can't believe this. It's already the third time he went this way, the most possible route to take him to the resort. Yet, here he is. Back to this miserable junction, when he has countlessly prayed not to find again on his third attempt using the right path. This is so confusing. Youngjae can't fathom where he is exactly at now. He only use a straight path coming here, so it must not that complicated to find his way back.

 

But now, why it seems so hard for him to find his way back? He can feel frustration tears well up in his eyes. Why everything going wrong with him today? So much of the brain of the group. Scratch that, he's just terrible with direction from the day one he was born to this world. And that's not something he can help with his brain. He's just a screwed up person. Why would he stupidly run here when he never can find a way out before without s' help. And he can't help it when a particular main vocalist's face popped up in his mind.

 

'Daehyun..He always help me in this kind of situation. But I snapped at him this morning and I doubt he will follow me here'

 


God..why he's so pathetic. In the midst of his desperation, Youngjae still thinking and hope for his best friend to help him. But the other.. Youngjae know Daehyun would never care about him to this extent. Who is he kidding? The guy even had the nerve to talk behind his back and pretend to be his so called best friend to cover up his fakeness. Youngjae had it enough. He wear his sweater jacket when he feels sudden chill passing through the entire woods. Youngjae could only guess the evening slowly come late as the skies dimming and how he didn't notice about this earlier.

 

The young vocalist has make up his mind. He doubt this but there's no other choice for him anyway.

 

"This is freaking ridiculous! Screw it!" 

 

And with that, Youngjae cautiously walked with long swinging strides to the spooky left path.