A twisted tale

Muse: Chronicles of a Nomad
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

External Dormitory Hall – 8.00 PM

Granted by her tutor, Lexi went home earlier than usual. As she was heading to the elevator, a worked up David was waiting for her in the hall.

“Lexi-Ah!” he called her name, catching her attention.

“Annyeonghaseyo David-ssi, did you wait for long?” she worried.

“No, I just got here myself” he continued “Can we talk here?”

Lexi had no clue what David wanted to talk about; but whatever it was, it took all of his energy and strength of mind. They took a seat somewhere in the lobby and they engaged in the conversation.

“I have some news that I want to share with you, but first there is something I’ve been meaning to talk to you about for so long and I never got the chance to do it properly” he announced.

“I’m listening” was all Lexi could say in response.

“I don’t know about you Lexi, but I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe in coincidences, karma and fate. I am not a man of faith, therefore I always looked for a rational explanation within everything and I never settled for ifs and maybes. But things started to pile up and although I tried so hard to fight it, everything made sense eventually. I wasn’t going to give this another try but something that has happened recently convinced me to give it one last chance”.

Lexi tried her best to follow up but David’s words were too ambiguous, even for her “Get to the point”.

“The thing is, Lexi” he paused “I have feelings for you”.

An awkward silence encircled the room. After finishing his confession, David kept looking at his love interest, scanning her for a reaction. Meanwhile, Lexi was thinking of a way to kindly reject the man’s offer without hurting his feelings.

“David-ssi” she initiated “I am truly moved by how you professed your feelings for me. Hajiman, I am not sure I can reciprocate ... Mianhaeyo”.

David exhaled at her answer as he already predicted it in his head “Well, it was worth a shot”.

“Please don’t feel bad” Lexi justified “You’re a wonderful man and I am sure every girl out there would dream of being with you, but my heart is not ready for love just …”

“Hajima” he interrupted her “Don’t lie to me, Jebal. You can deny it all you want, but I’ve seen your eyes sparkle before. I know that your heart is taken”.

This sudden confrontation took Lexi aback. She wasn’t sure how or why he made such speculations, but deep down she knew he was right.

“I heard you call his name in your sleep; in the hospital, in your dorm room. The way you look up to him, talk about him, and the way you overwork yourself in order to please him. You weren’t doing it for yourself, you were doing it to gain his approval” he scorned her “I am not trying to bring you down but … did you honestly think that you'd stand a chance with him?”

“Ya David-ssi !” she snapped “Whatever I decide to do with my heart is my business, you have no right to make delirious assumptions to mend your own broken heart” she gathered her strength “I never asked you to fall for me, I specifically told you that I am here to heal my soul and I never led you on. I too believe in coincidences, karma and fate; but I also believe that we draw our own path and make our own choices, despite what comes our way. Nothing is written in the stars indefinitely”.

“David-ssi” she snatched her bag “It’s been good knowing you”.

When she stood up he grabbed her arm, instantly regretting his words “Lexi-Ah, kajima. I’m sorry”.

“So am I” she said as she retrieved her arm and walked away.

BIGHIT Recording Studio – 9.03 AM

Last night was infernal. Lexi’s encounter with David ignited her long lost insomnia. She kept turning in her bed numerous times, before she went to the living room and the TV, turning off her brain in the process. David’s words were stuck in her mind, and she was wondering just how much of it is actually accurate. Unable to get some rest, she went to the studio first thing in the morning to get her mind off of things.

Today was her first day as a lyricist. Still owing her coach a few days of training, she started working on her last homework. An hour later, a punctual Namjoon arrived at the building. Spotting the studio door open b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter