Baby steps

Muse: Chronicles of a Nomad
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

External Dormitory, Room 613 – 9.12 AM

Spring break was over. After fully recharging on her last trip, Lexi was back in soul city. She hasn’t been living here for long, but she missed it more than she did her hometown … or was it the food?

The minute she arrived to her dorm, Lexi hugged her bed. She still had an hour before going to the company. The minute she started unpacking her belongings, her phone rang.

“Yoboseyo, Lexi-ssi” the secretary pointed out “Sajang-nim asked me to let you know that a meeting is scheduled for today and your presence is requisite”.

“Jang biseo-nim, what is it about?” Lexi inquired “Is something wrong with my contract?”

“The only information we have is that all of the staff will be present. Please, make sure to attend by 10 AM”.

Despite soliciting a permission slip from the CEO himself, Lexi knew it was a risky move for her to leave midst training. Namjoon wasn’t even notified of her absence until he noticed that she was nowhere to be found, so she couldn’t expect him to have her back if the situation went awry. Chasing her negative thoughts away, she got dressed and went to the company.

BIGHIT Conference room – 10.13 AM

With a heavy heart, Lexi accessed the conference room. The staff members of every department were already seated: composers, producers, choreographers, publicists, even the legal and marketing teams … and Namjoon. From the looks of it, the meeting has already started prior to her scheduled appointment. Seeing her mentor in the room confirmed her doubts: whatever this reunion was about, a decision has already been made.

Motioned by her boss to take a seat, Lexi stepped forward and away from the door with a thumping heart. She didn’t know if she should appeal before they continued with their meeting, so she just prayed in silence that today won’t be her last.

“Our company has worked very hard to scout talent and sculpt it to fit in with the Hallyu image” the CEO initiated the second meeting “Golden trainees: vocalists, dancers, actors, all in one: a triple threat. However, a piece of the puzzle is still missing” he paused “We need a fourth trait to complete the image”.

Even though they already knew the outcome of the reunion, the staff listened patiently. On the other side of the table, Lexi was struggling internally, impatient to hear her verdict.

A turn of the door knob snapped the young trainee out of her bubble of confusion. A girl of average height entered the room: dark hair with long bangs, almond eyes, and fair skin. She entered the room, bowed and sat on the other end of the table, facing the audience.

“Everybody, I would like you to meet our youngest trainee and future solo act Min Shinah” the CEO introduced the young lady “She has been with us for about two years now, she’s a triple threat, and she recently started writing her own songs. She will debut in the next fall as BIGHIT’s first female rapper, please take care of her”.

A round of cheers and applause invaded the room. Apparently, everybody was looking forward to Shinah’s debut. Among the crowd, Namjoon showed a visible grin.

“However …” this word sent chills down Lexi’s spine. She still didn’t know her role in the meeting held before her, and it only took one word to guess her fate.

“As we are trying to present a fierce concept to the public, we have decided to put an emphasis on the lyrical flow” he explained further “While Shinah’s Korean rapping and writing style are flawless, we’re considering to include full English verses in her songs so as to add a signature to it. Hopefully, this will grant our future rookie a place in the industry, both nationally and overseas”.

The CEO looked Lexi’s way to address her next; he was met with a blunt look of confusion in return “Lexi-ssi, as of today, your trainee contract has been terminated”.

Lexi sat frozen in her seat, at a loss for words. It’s not that she wasn’t expecting it, but the sudden load of information hit her like a blow. Not knowing how to respond, Lexi faced the ground and waited to be dismissed.

“Lexi-ssi, starting tomorrow you will be appointed as one of the company’s official songwriters. We’re exchanging your old contract with an exclusive on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter