/ chapters (1-5)

 / ATARAXIA: archive
CHAPTER ONE: 시작하자
 
NES*NOTES : character appearances were pretty brief and this chapter was like 80% class prez wendy but its ok because this was pretty much an introductory chapter!! so don't kill me i beg there's more next week i promise!! yaksokhae!! anyway leave me be while i cry about bts's daesang
p.s. i stole this layout from an old friend ,, tell me if you recognize it wink wink... if not then ㅋㅋㅋ
C-1 / SQUARE ONE
spark the flame that ignites a new beginning
 
october 20, 2016: carnival day one
 
"today's the day."

"yeah, today's the day."

"thanks for trusting me with this—"

"you better not this up for me."

"... thank you for the support."
 
"decorations? check. promoters? check," seungwan, the senior president walked through the bustling halls of eden high school. students were talking and busying themselves with new tasks to take up in order to place the final touches on their attractions. most of the first-years tried to avoid eye contact with her in order to avoid being assigned more jobs to do, resulting in many of them almost colliding with the third-year president. seungwan's lips curved into a subtle smile as she approached the end of the hall; everything was in order, and now all she had to do was check on the final embellishment on eden's carnival. "haunted house?"

the students from class 3-b had used the small gym behind the school buildings for this year's haunted house, as the classroom they used to use was too small for their new ideas. the "house" was larger than previous years and the front of the gym was covered with a black tarp; two students dressed in different costumes waited outside to promote their attraction to the people who passed by and the only thing that could be seen when one walked in was a wall. they looked at her expectantly, but no expression could be seen on her face. seungwan walked inside, peeked around the corner, and retreated back into the sunlight out of fear for her weak, old heart.

"check."

the students breathed a sigh of relief when she uttered the word and left to find her vice president, who was still finalizing prep work for her class's host club. the president double-checked the subjects written on her clipboard while she entered the second-year buildiing through the back door.

"oh ."

"prez, watch out!"

seungwan looked up and almost crashed a boy holding too many glass bottles to clean up later; if not for her keen reflexes, the two would have collided and made, well, a complete mess. she spun out of the way and continued walking, but that didn't stop her from chiding the boy who almost got scattered glass all over the floor.

"be more careful with those before someone else gets hurt."

the tall boy smiled, flustered. his head tilted down as a sort of small bow toward his senior and bobbed back up to see that she had already put enough distance between them. the dark-haired girl next to him pushed the door open and almost allowed herself to snicker. her dark eyes stared at him for a while before clearing . "let's get this over with, minwoo."

he turned his head back around, his legs stepping her direction. "yeah, hong, i'm coming."

the first floor hall of the second-year building was more than up to presidential par, each room was decorated from back to entrance with party-like baubles and banners. those tryhards that aimed toward a more professional look had posters made and signs brought in from home. either way, the dull classrooms were now made more presentable to hoyang residents: a few steps up from the way things went in the previous year.

"seungwan! how do you like our host club?" the vice president, song bitna, walked her into the velvet curtained class 2-a. it was almost as if a rush of rose petals had crossed her path when she laid eyes on the four figures welcoming her with different expressions. "i thought it was a bit much to have them waiting for you when you come in, but everything else is pretty much what i had in mind!"

"yeah, and what she had in mind had to be pristine," one of the boys stood up to fix his leather jacket in a standing mirror. "it was really annoying."

bitna stared at him a wry grimace that held a hint of aggression. "i see someone's already in character," she held the expression and turned to seungwan, the smile seemingly warmer than a second before. "anyway, ignore chaejoon. i think this is the one this year. everyone likes host clubs, right?"

"i think i can name at least one person who would like the host club." the eldest girl's gaze drifted toward the doorway of the classroom where a certain school fanatic stood— or rather, eden's more well known school fanatic. kiyeon walked inside holding a steaming bowl in one hand, a pair of wooden chopsticks in the other hand. she glanced at the four hosts with an unreadable expression and reverted her gaze back to both seungwan and bitna.

"mm... not this year," she laughed dryly. slim pickings this year. none of them fit the standard. she cleared to supress the thought and approached the two girls in a waitress-like fashion; the bowl was held up by her fingertips, raised to her eye level, a trademark smile professionally spread across her face. "ramyeon?"

the scent filled the room and all heads turned to the source of the aroma. kiyeon set the bowl and chopsticks down at the table, then backed out of the room before anyone could say a word. the air in the room suddenly became tense as all six of the students leered at each other.
 

booths were relatively calm at the front of the school because most of the prep was finished, but the students were becoming quite antsy. one reason was because they were getting tired of waiting, the other reason being because the street food they were selling especially smelled like heaven on the occassion of skipping breakfast to make it to class on time.

the tallest student on campus rocked back and forth on his heels as he stood behind a booth toward the front of the gate, glancing at the freshly grilled beef skewers placed neatly in a plat to his right. his gaze flickered between the meat and the general area in front of him, but his appetite seemed to betray his mind.

you're not supposed to eat the merch, hyogyu, what are you trying to do—

"um, hyogyu, do you know what time seungwan sunbae said we'd be opening?" jihyuk, the shorter boy in the booth left of his, snapped him out of his loop (thankfully), causing hyogyu to abruptly swing his head around to face the owner of the voice. jihyuk was slightly startled by this sudden reaction and took a half step back.

"i-i think around twelve, so in a few minutes..." the two boys exchanged some awkward nods, a some awkward glances, and a lot of awkward tension. it was quiet for those few minutes, but after a short pause, residents of hoyang began pouring onto eden's campus. both boys were so preoccupied with their customers that they forgot all about that short, strange moment that had only occured minutes before.

hyogyu still considered eating one of his skewers once the crowd calmed down. jihyuk tried to avoid eye contact with him for the rest of the day.
 

seungwan left the host club to let them prepare after she lost the ramyeon battle to chaejoon, who luckily threw rock to her sad pair of scissors. she hadn't realized that the secretary had already opened the gates, but as soon as she walked out of the building, she admired the students' hard work. she also smiled at the fact that bitna would be taking over next year and that she would be free from managing the carnival as she did for the past three years. then she frowned when she realized that she would be in college by then.

"hey prez, maybe you should check on the first years just in case something... happens," a third year student suggested to her, assumingly because she looked like she was just zoning out for a while. "we don't want autumn 2014 to happen again."

seungwan's face dropped and paled, and she began walking toward the first year building as if her feet already knew what her brain had just barely processed. "right."

the girl sped through the crowd, briefly greeting those who recognized her while also delicately avoiding squeezing between people to keep from ruining another person's experience at the fair. the third year who suggested this to her made sure she was gone before  running off to help fix his classroom's decorations before more people walked into the third years' building.

a loud commotion could be heard as seungwan approached the first years' building, now struck panic and fear for the worst. she uncharacteristically pushed past all the people entering the building to hear laughter and shutter sounds. a long line of people outside of class 1-b's room came into sight, the president almost stumbling over the fair guests' feet to get herself inside the room. when she had done so, she saw four first years entertaining and complimenting whoever paid to take a picture in their "photobooth," which had actually turned out to look like a professional photo op with props that one would see in a booth. it seemed as if one girl ran the entire operation; seungwan was deeply intrigued.

"sanha, what's your ring leader's name? i want to talk to her," the tall boy opened his mouth, speechless.

no one gave warning that the president was coming—

"relax," she laughed. "it's about good things, don't worry."

he released the breath he was holding for those past couple of seconds. she almost let a chuckle escape. "her name is gal meahri, she was kind of quiet before this carnival happened, but now i think we see her true colors."

"her given name has three syllables, like this girl in a webtoon i'm reading..."

"okay, pose! pose! pose! perfect! oh, you guys look gorgeous, great job!" the tall, brown-haired girl grinned from ear to ear as she posed with the customers while she took the pictures. despite looking as if the shots were unsteady, the photos actually came out looking as if they were taken from an actual photobooth.

"how charismatic," the two sort of just watched her for a few seconds before sanha's classmate reminded him that he was supposed to be sorting props. "anyway, meahri-sshi."

she turned around before the next group of people stepped up, seungwan offering a warm smile and a beckoning gaze. ahri lowered her camera and walked over, briefly telling the secondary cameraman to take over for a short while. she still touched the buttons with her fingertips as seungwan began to talk.

"i'm so glad your booth attracted such attention!" the president smiled, looking through the window to see the ever-increasing line of people outside. "i'm sure you can manage this whole thing for the next few days, seeing how well you've done today."

"oh, thank you so much!" ahri beamed, eyes forming crescents at her superior. she hadn't been able to process the last sentence that fell out of class president's mouth until a few seconds later. "uh, haha," the corners of drooped slightly, then curved into a brighter smile. "i'm sure i can, too! i'll try my best, prez!"

seungwan grinned and patted the first-year on the back; as she left she muttered something about first years becoming too tall and bitterly pondered why she was so short. as she walked outside again, she began to admire the success of her the carnival once more. seeing the peoples' happy faces made her believe that nothing could ruin this carnival— absolutely nothing. nothing at all. nothing.
 
"damn, this school was a lot crappier than i remember it being."

a male figure sat on top of eden's office building, watching over the carnival, glowering at all the happy faces. he stood up and stretched his hands forward, then back, then to the side. not a single person would be able to see it standing upon the roof of the main office, though, the only things that anyone would be able to see were the clouds and the sky peeking through the rips of their cotton-like appearance. he stared them all down.

"well, anyway," he sighed tiredly. "time to up some ."
CHAPTER TWO: 놀란
 
NES*NOTES : my fav part of this chapter is ikemen minwoo walking 2 the haunted house / ok at this point the interview question of "why did you go into the house?" is obsolete lel
anyway dang i wish u guys could see my writing process i write the dumbest notes to myself LOL
also highly reccomend listening to music box tunes while reading this

side note THIS IS 3500+ WORDS GNg HELL
another side note here is the archive i was talking abt
C-2 / SPOOKED
open pandora's box, see what it does
 
october 20, 2016: still carnival day one
 
by about four in the afternoon, the crowd began to die down and the food and game activity began to lull as it did every year. this was around the time that the managers of the booths would take short breaks to walk around the carnival and see the attractions for themselves, mainly because it was hard to stand in front of a bunch of food all day without being able to eat it.

this must be how kiyeon feels... thought the boys running the tteokbokki and meat skewer booths simultaneously, then realizing that a whopping number number of zero people would be coming to eat their food after lunch. both glanced at each other briefly before bringing their gaze back to the food, the glistening rice cakes and tender beef skewers. the two pulled an amount of money out of their pockets and deposited it in their designated cashbox. both tall and small began eating a serving of each of their foods until they spotted the president taking strides in their direction. it was hard to tell if she had noticed what they were doing, her being preoccupied with chatting with different guests every two seconds. when she had finally gotten her way to the booths, she sighed.

"boys, i have to commend you for not touching this food all day," both of them swallowed. "honestly, if i were you, i would have probably snuck a few rice cakes while people weren't looking. good job, guys." she dropped a few coins onto each of their booth countertops, took one serving of each, and left. both were holding their breath until she made her way off, jihyuk's temperature rising two degrees with every second her presidency took a step closer.

hyogyu had tossed the stick of his skewer in the trash and stuffed the beef into his mouth, almost choking in the process. jihyuk, nervous as ever, hid the cup full of rice cakes behind the counter and left one in his mouth while she talked. after releasing their breaths and finishing off the rest of the food they had "stolen," the two boys decided they needed to take a break and explore the other booths in order to experience the carnival to its fullest.

maybe i'll visit kiyeon's mini restaurant later...
 
it was slow for those manning the game booths, as well. the seniors in class 3-c watched carnival guests walk past their booths for a little over half an hour. they had a lot of money saved from opening time, so business wouldn't be hurt, but it was just too boring to be standing around without anything to do. the two standing behind the ring toss booth made no effort to draw any extra attention to themselves, mostly because all the guests they'd seen had already been to their booth at least once. woo looked at jiyul, who was leaning her back on the counter with elbows propped on the surface, spacing out.

"hey, do you wanna go do something?" he placed a hand on his nape. "seungcheol will be back soon, so it's not like the booth will be abandoned..."

there was a silence following that might have been understood as strange to someone on the outside, but this was normal between both of them. jiyul straightened her back and nodded before the two started walking in the direction of the third years' building. the two remained next to each other, but kept a good couple of feet away.

woo broke the silence by cracking his knuckles, only leading to his drawing jiyul's attention. he opened his mouth to apologize, but, as if she already knew what he was going to say, she shook her head. the boy would watch the girl walking next to him, noticing her smallest mannerisms: the way her eyes closed so slowly when she blinked, how she would occasionally have to use her thin fingers to push her dark chocolate bangs out of her face, how she would always pull her sleeves down immediately after. he didn't think much of it, he just wondered if he would ever know what happened to her. 

the silence between them continued again, briefly.

"uhm—"

"i'm gonna stop by class 3-a for a little bit, you can—"

"can i join you?" he asked, turning his head toward her. her caramel eyes met his dark ones momentarily, lips forming a panicked answer.

"no, i want to be alone right now." jiyul ducked into the packed classrom, leaving woo outside. he watched her dash inside, eyes lingering on the swish of her hair. jiyul sighed once she entered the classroom.

how did i spend over three hours with that handsome face? she sat herself at a table near the entrance, settling her head on her hands with her elbows on the table. one of the waiters immediately came by to ask her for her order, but she seemed distant in her own thoughts— the waiter talking about himself and the former not showing the slightest bit of attention. eventually the waiter noticed and abruptly stopped talking. after a few seconds of silence, jiyul felt the waiter's heavy stare burrowing into her forehead and lifted her own eyes to meet a pair of dark, half-interested ones.

"hi. sorry to interrupt your train of thought, but i need to work. tell me your order." upon noticing the boy's dark red hair, jiyul took time to connect a face with a name. her voice murmured something incoherently and continued to do so until he directly asked what she was trying to say.

"are you—"

", never mind. just get me some water and like, half of a slice of chocolate cake." she dropped her shoulders and stared back down at the table, re-absorbing herself in her thoughts. the waiter turned around to face his co-worker who overheard their conversation. the blonde giggled mockingly and the waiter, turning around to get jiyul's order organized.

"this might be karma for all those girls, taewoo."

"you know, you were one of them, right?"

meanwhile, woo had already left the building. the situation with jiyul earlier gave him something to laugh about but presently, he was at a loss for something to do. he strolled slowly through the emptying crowd, hands in his pockets, tilting his head up to gaze at the pale blue sky— an image most of the people around him seemed to appreciate immensely. drops of orange sunlight made his porcelain skin shine like a romance novel character, bringing out the lighter side of his cocoa locks; a mangaka had just drawn his delicately placed features into existence and proportioned his long limbs perfectly— no one is immune to the spitting image of a princely min woo against the coming sunset.

woo sighed. he was alone in the middle of a carnival, what was he to do? his eyes drifted from attraction to attraction with no avail— the fun booths required two or more people if you didn't want to look like a loser, which was always the sad truth of high school events. he continued to walk until he reached the end of the second years' building and found himself in front of the gym. lifting his chin, he looked over the black tarp of the tall building looming over him, the two promoters in front of the building seemingly preoccupied with each other. his eyes grazed the doorway and before he knew what he was doing, his legs were already moving to walk him inside.

from above, a ghostly shadow watched as the sunset above began to turn increasingly dark, then retreated back into the dimly lit gymnasium.
 

close to the gym was the rosy classroom of class 2-a, the home of the always-popular school host club. bitna smiled at the patrons as the last few walked in before break time, which made her stomach flutter. after losing the ramyeon battle to chaejoon a few hours ago, she was becoming hungry for a taste of anything, really. when four-thirty hit, she would wander over to the window of class 2-b to see kiyeon finishing off the final touches of her custom-order ramyeon— it was only a matter of three minutes between her and the fragrant steam of her meal on her face.

as it was the second hour since their last break, everything seemed to be in order without bitna's useful guidance; clients began to leave and hosts began to wind down after a long day of entertaining generous patrons. bitna gazed longingly down the hall at gogi gourmet while the chatter behind her died down. oh, how she wished she could be there at that very moment to watch her friend prepare her special order.

"bitna," a deep voice called in the distant landscape of reality. "bitna?? um... hey, bossypants—"

the owner of the voice almost doubled back in shock at the speed of which the student council vice president's head turned, her eyes briefly resembling those of medusa's. chaejoon regained his composure when bitna did hers, both of them unsure of what had just happened.

"erm— i just finished the last of my clients so i'm going to the bathroom," he stated, but the look of ambiguity on her face signaled a need for reason. "it's four-thirty."

bitna looked at her watch, then at the clock on the wall across the room. "oh." her expression faltered when she nodded to say she was letting him leave, soon brightening with vigor and the realization that it was time for her to scurry herself over to kiyeon's classroom.

with her head resting on downward her folded arms, kiyeon was sitting at a table while she waited for her friend to stop by with her full heart and empty stomach. when bitna arrived, she quietly perched herself in front of the sandy blonde restaurant heiress and assumed the same position with the exception of her head, which was facing her friend and being supported by her arms. kiyeon felt a presence in front of her and lifted her crown to see a blurry real life close-up of her favorite vice president. she stifled her laughter and arched her back against her chair while her limbs reached in different directions to rid herself of the residual sleepiness.

"your expression says it all," now less hyperactive than her usual self, kiyeon rose from her seat and walked to the counter. "i have it right here, don't worry."

bitna's rabbit-like smile seemed to light up the room because as soon as kiyeon laid eyes on her, she couldn't help but grin herself. "these times the only times you're the one taking care of me because i have no time to cook for myself."

"oh, shush," the shorter girl placed the still steaming bowl on the table, whipped a pair of disposable chopsticks out of her pastel pink-and-white apron, and handed them to her friend. "just start eating before it gets cold. don't forget, you owe me a favor now!"

after taking a long whiff of the warm, faintly aromatic steam from the bowl, bitna nodded and began to toss the warm noodles with the clams and kimchi. kiyeon couldn't help watching and waiting for her happy customer's reaction, as she always did on saturday mornings when her parents allowed her to take over the restaurant. she sat back down in front of bitna, elbows on the table, hands holding her chin, and eyes forming half-moons as the latter took her first mouthful. the reaction was golden, of course, the aftereffects being whenever she looked at kiyeon, she would nod giddily.

bitna's special ramyeon was gone in a flash, even with the added time that kiyeon contributed by trying to have a decent conversation with her. the latter decided she wasn't hungry after watching someone eat something so fast.

"did you ever learn how to chew your food?" teased kiyeon, standing up to wash the bowl. bitna had no words, only a sleepy yawn and a satisfied arm stretch in response. kiyeon glanced at her nails, making sure not to chip off the layer of light peach polish painted on top. "i'm sacrificing my manicure for you."

"thank you for my in-between lunch and dinner meal, kiyeon, it was amazing." bitna gently placed her head on the table as she studied kiyeon's petite figure washing dishes. she knew she would keep complaining if she didn't hear what she wanted to hear. "anyway," the vice president glanced at her own short, unpolished nails. "i need to walk these calories off if i'm going to keep sitting at the manager's desk for another two hours. do you want to come with me?"

"oh my god," kiyeon looked at her over her shoulder as she finished drying the bowl. "yes, i need to get out of this classroom. let's go to the haunted house, maybe we can scare those calories off you."

"are you sure you're not looking for cute ghosts to date?"
 

"i'm so—" sanha lifted his camera over his head to take the strap off while he yawned. "—tired. but that was the first time i'd ever experienced such a huge crowd."

"we have meahri to thank for that," dayoung, the class promoter, smiled at her friend.

"it was nothing," ahri flipped her caramel brown hair over her shoulder, succeeding in getting a laugh out of her classmates. "maybe we'll get more people tomorrow?"

"if we keep people coming at this rate, we'll probably get best in profits and—" eyes glittering with hope and ambition, dayoung directed her gaze toward the rest of her classmates. "—maybe even best in class!"

meahri smiled. i'm glad this worked out so well, she thought, and smiled wider. "i'm going to make sure we win get best in class this year." she conferred upon herself, whispering the words so no one would hear her.

when the classroom started to get chattier, the tall girl would slip out seemingly unseen under the veil of noise to take a break somewhere she could cool off. she wandered down the long hall until the bright glare of orange sunlight pouring into the building on the other side. nostalgia flooded her body; the color reminded her of her of watching the sunset with her family back at her home in busan. she had to take in the sensation of chirping birds and sleepiness before moving on to actually feeling the sunlight on her skin.

ahri took a look at the gymnasium, which was not far from the exit of the first years' building. maybe, she thought, this is where i need to cool off. she smiled and placed one canvas-covered foot in front of the other in the direction of the black-tarped haunted house.
 
"this is getting boring," said the ghost, lying down next to a student grabbing peoples' feet. "what am i even doing here?" he asked himself, flipping onto his back and admiring the shiny, black texture of the ceiling.

the ghost sank a few feet through the ground and emerged floating up straight. he bid his farewells to the kid listening for footsteps and almost left the building before realizing he could totally do something to spice up this haunted house. his ears twitched at the sound of girlish yelps from toward the exit. he grinned.

swooping down, the pale ghost found a skeleton at the end of the path. it was waving goodbye, but he thought this was all too cute for such a well-decorated horror house. he swum into the spine and placed himself in the nooks and crannies of the plastic bone, igniting the eyes with a pale blue glow. he waited.

"shut up, you're making me scared!"

"sorry! but you know how much i hate this— AGH!"

the ghost froze in place, waiting for the two freshman to come closer. the skeleton's eyes looked straight at the girl and her annoyed friend, who hadn't sensed him until they were a few feet from the exit. under the weight of his gaze, they stared right back, in a heavy trance as they walked to the doorway. the skeleton's head rotated jaggedly until the pair was directly in front of him, which was when he cracked his neck sideways and himself onto them, the lightweight skeleton falling limply on the ground when the two girls screeched and bolted outside.

the roguish ghost basked in his achievement. this is fun, he thought. good job, janyu. alright, three more groups and then i go back to the spirit world to get some groceries.
 
chaejoon emerged from the restroom, about to wipe his fairly damp hands on his blue skinny jeans before halting abruptly and looking at his classroom down the hall. he drew back his cheeks to reveal a very mischievous grin before dropping his arms to his sides and casually strolling to his destination. if anyone were to pass him by, they would be able to sense chaejoon's devillish energy before even making eye contact with him. the soft tap of his converse on the school floor became louder to the person sitting in classroom 2-a, who didn't think much of it; lots of people have walked by the classroom before.

chaejoon peeked his head in slightly from the doorway on the right side, making sure he wasn't seen by the person sitting on the couch. he took a double-take, realizing that person wasn't the person he wanted to splash his wet fingers with. he walked inside and looked around.

"mingyu," he called out to his friend. "is bitna not here?"

"uh, no," the boy named mingyu looked up from his phone to glance around the room, same as chaejoon had just done. "why? were you going to splash her with that water dripping from your fingers?"

"no, of course not." chaejoon whipped his head around to look for any sign of the vice president. "i was gonna ask her where kiyeon went."

"well, i haven't seen either of them since bitna left, so..."

"have you left the couch at all?"

"....no."

chaejoon stared at his friend, tight-lipped. "okay, well," he started wiping his hands on his pants and jacket sleeves. the jacket technically wasn't his, but he was sure kiyeon's brother wouldn't mind. "i guess i'm going to have to go look for them..."

"okay, have fun." mingyu sang, going back to his scrolling.

"i just wanted to take a nap during the break..." chaejoon strolled outside, eyes rolling from left to right. evidently, they weren't there, so he begrudgingly trudged in the direction of the first years' building. he laid eyes on the gymnasium for a few seconds at a time on his way to the back door of the tall structure, partly filled with freshman. he didn't make much effort to look for them inside, only opening the door so his head could scout for any sign of either of the two girls in the hallway.

"welp," he closed the door and faced away from the building so that his direct line of sight was toward the gym. "i looked, and i failed. time for a break."

upon entering the dark room, chaejoon squinted. the people working in the haunted house were no where to be seen, which was supposed to be a good thing. at this point, he didn't really care, he just wanted to see what the hype was about. the student grabbing peoples' feet had fallen asleep on the floor, so when he heard someone coming, he missed his foot and ended up just slapping the floor. chaejoon turned around and placed his hands on the walls of the hallway, only for a door to swing open on his right.

this wasn't here before.

curious, the tall boy stepped inside.
 
"so, do you guys listen to iu?"

"wait, shush, i think i heard something..."

"it sounded like someone slapping the floor!"

"no, not that," the owner of the voice stood up quickly. "wait! don't let that door—!" the entrance sealed shut. "—close."

suddenly, all the people in the room felt a chill down their spines and white flames dimly lit the room from the left wall, to the back, to the right, and to the front. each of their faces could be seen, some alarmed and others still adjusting to the lighting change.

"welcome to ghost hunting 101," a charismatic voice announced. the blurry vision of a boy not much older than the teenagers was sitting on a chair in the front of the room. the corners of his mouth jutted up slightly. "my name is vimaru."
group text (8 people)
kiyeon 🌸🎀, meahri!!!!...
today, 19:03
kiyeon 🌸🎀
omg guys how old do you think maru is
chaejoon (don't answer)
...Maru is Dead
song bitna
I'm pretty sure Kiyeon meant how old he was when he died
jihyuk aka 😰😰
are we even allowed to be talking about this? ;;
what if he knows that we're talking about him ahhhh
meahri!!!! ✌🏼
ahh don't worry about it sunbae!!!!!!
i don't even think he can access a phone LOL
kiyeon 🌸🎀
tru!!! so how old do you guys think he was when he died???
song bitna
he looks a little older than us, so maybe he died when he was like.......Idk 19?
prince woo 👑💎
19 looks a little young for him
meahri!!!! 
oh my god basketball prince is alive
prince woo 👑💎
maybe he was in his early 20's?? idrc tho so
basketball prince? lol
kiyeon 🌸🎀
yeah omg i can't believe u didn't know about that nickname HAHAHA
speaking of basketball where's hyogyu???
jihyuk aka 😰😰
i was going to ask that too haha
kiyeon how do you type so fast with those nails....?
song bitna
I was going to say that he's probably at b-ball practice but considering woo answered the gc, I'm going to assume his phone is turned off
chaejoon (don't answer)
Thanks for ur two cents, detective Bitna
really tall hyogyu
i'm here dw i just wasn't replying
lol
kiyeon 🌸🎀
AYEE JOIN THE PARTY how old do u think maru was when he died
now we wait for jiyul and our party will be complete ♡(ŐωŐ人)
prince woo 👑💎
i doubt ruji will check her phone lol
song bitna
let's not force her to pick up her phone if she's busy doing something important on her own~
hongjiru 🌙
can u guys shut the hell up i have 25 notifs and im trying to take a nap
today, 23:21
kiyeon 🌸🎀
aw i fell asleep.......
ok w/e we'll answer my question tomorrow gn my friends!!!
today, 01:52
chaejoon (don't answer)
Are we just gonna ignore the fact that a ghost locked us in a room and made us agree to save the world??
type your message...
SEND
chapter three: 내가 왜 여기 있니?
 
NES*NOTES : im sorrY i haven't updated in like 90 years so AAAA? ? ?? also completely optional & definitely a waste of ur time but if u check the archive foreword i occasionally update it w i write to entertain myself so yknow..... if u want to waste ur own time & try to surmise the plot of the next chapter based off those stupid notes then knock urself out LMFAO
here u go anyway i hope u enjoy(ed) i love u guys have i ever told u that??? bc i really do love u guys ; u ;
fun fact: death looks like a guy in a black morph suit 24/7
fun fact part 2: this is roughly 1000+ more words than the last chapter and idk why i wrote so much im sobbin g
C-3 / WHY ME?
i'd steal your heart, too, but you don't seem to have one
 
october 20, 2016: still carnival day one
 
janyu's transparent body shivered when it came in contact with the heavy air of the spirit world. the realm wasn't as grubby as he always thought it looked, but it fit the general vision of what he had in his head. the entrance he used overlooked the abysmal city and concealed him from view of the gatekeepers who would surely throw him out if he was detected.

the city was full of floating, glowing white souls. janyu sneered knowing his soul would never be that bright and genuine. so real. whatever, he darted from one bush to another, making sure he wouldn't be seen by the guard. i'll be better than all of them, anyway, so...

the guardians of the soul city were huge golems made of different types of bone assembled by death ii on either side of the entrance to the city. they protected souls from mortal threats, so in place of their eyes, they felt mortal vibrations on the ground. they do not move unless provoked or awakened because of the energy it takes to attack and walk. it wouldn't be hard to get past them while in his ghostly form, but janyu couldn't help feeling antsy.

the ghost, discovering the nature of his abilities worked in the same ways they did in the mortal world, slowly tore away from the foliage in front of him and made his way toward the front of the tall outer walls surrounding the city. the souls entering the city passed by the guards without a second thought, he noticed.

that's definitely my way in, he mused. but can souls even be posessed? he pondered his situation and flared his nostrils while he watched the white souls saunter through the entrance freely. he took a double-take at where the crowd of pale, feathery spheres began to die down. if he hesitated any longer, he would miss his opportunity. well, i guess it's time to find out.

janyu swam through the dense air toward a bright white ball of light coming to the front of the gate. as he got closer, a white lining surrounding the soul was visible, a human-like lining. the ghost grinned with content, easily slipping into the innocent soul's vessel and taking full control of the translucent body itself. the white soul inside crashed and swirled like drops of food coloring around janyu's darkened one, confused and helpless. janyu felt a tight compression against the chest area of the vessel when he came close to the entrance to the city, but as long as he got past those gates, he could abandon the frantic soul and find a way to complete his task.

when janyu glanced to his left, he was startled by the empty sockets of the gatekeeper's enormous bison-bearing skull facing him as he floated into the city. he faced forward again and decided not to look anywhere else but his desired destination for the time he was in town.
 

vimaru hadn't experienced such awful silence in either his death or his life before. his charismatic grin had faded into a clearly panicked expression when the teenagers he gathered started looking at each other confoundedly.

"okay, what kind of prank is this?" jiyul asked, vexed. "because it's not funny."

"yeah, i have to get back to the host club before five-thirty." bitna looked around the room for a clock, which was no where to be found. chaejoon cleared his throat when her head turned his direction, making her whirl her head back around to the front of the room. "sorry, correction, we have to get back to the host club before five-thirty."

"we all have to get back to our jobs before crowds start building up again, so can you tell us what's going on?" woo incited to the one who called himself vimaru.

i forgot humans were so touchy, the ghost took a look at all their disoriented faces for a minute. "you kids were chosen by a higher power— er, should i say lower power? anyway, you kids were chosen to complete a task that might save the fate of the dual worlds."

there was a very long period of contemplation. each student silently stared at each other as if the person in front of them had lost his mind. all of them assumed they shared similar thoughts regarding the situation at hand.

"again?"

"does that mean we're like... chosen ones or something?"

"uh, yeah..." vimaru avoided their eyes with a cryptic expression on his face.

"u-uh, excuse me, mr. vimaru," a second-year spoke, meek in stature compared to the person sitting beside him. his cousin looked at him while he made way for himself to ask a question, surprised to be in the same room as him. "what was the criteria for choosing the people for this task?"

the ghost's head turned toward jihyuk. "because, um... i don't think i really fit whatever it was, since we have to save the 'dual worlds,' and such things."
 
october 20 (3:32am) — a conversation between vimaru and death
death and vimaru leaned back in their recliners. silence filled the room while they stared at the floating debris outside death's window. guards swam through the space, unbothered to glance inside, more concerned about protecting the outside from any kind of threat dense enough to attack death himself.

"so... how are we going to pick these kids for the job, anyway?" vimaru looked at death.

"uhh...." he began laughing. "just pick the ones stupid enough to get stuck in this room."

vimaru let himself snicker. "i was given no real criteria," he admitted, shifting to lean on the arm of the chair he was sitting on, the backs of his knees resting on top of the other. "but i saw something in all of you that sparked a sense of pride in me. i saw a light in all of you that i knew would guide me on my search for the world's safety; you instilled hope in me. i saw myself in all of you, like... you're all my kids or something."

his speech ended on a lower note than the rest of what he said, so the teenagers didn't seem to take the bait. vimaru wasn't selling it very well either, so, the eight only shot him inscrutable looks.

"i think you need to let us go before people start to wonder where we are," hyogyu stood up, his height towering over jihyuk even more. "we run very important attractions." he took a few steps closer to the not-so-mysterious person at the front of the room. vimaru was unfazed.

"if you're threatening to fight me, i don't think that's a very good idea." he played with the strands of hair that fell almost in front of his eyes with one hand, his other hand snapping his fingers to materialize a small orange fire above his head— he was translucent.

the eight were bewildered by this revelation, some of them coming closer to see if their eyes were betryaing them. when woo attempted to lay a hand on vimaru's shoulder, it passed straight through and landed on the armrest he was resting on. the color from his face drained and he doubled back, almost falling on the ground in shock.

"it was so... cold." he stared at his fingers, slowly curling into a loose fist while some others approached vimaru cautiously. he eyed them and sat back in the chair normally.

"okay you little erts, don't start trying the same thing he did." when they didn't listen to him, he disappeared, leaving behind a cold, gray smoke. the teenagers looked around the room for him with unstill hearts. some of them who got up to try and touch him sat down again. the others stood in place, waiting for him to come back.

"why don't you air-breathers go touch someone else?" his voice sounded above them with audible annoyance. "like, i don't know, maybe someone who's not a ghost?"

the eight looked to the ceiling to see vimaru staring them down, arms crossed. none of them knew what to say, all of them more confused than they had been since they arrived. the ghost cleared his throat.

"okay, now that you've all decided to calm down, i'm going to have to ask you some questions."
 

janyu's eyes darted around the area and walked the captured soul into a deserted alley in between the tall, rust-colored buildings where he abandoned it, rushedly making his way back into the crowd to escape suspicion. the ghost looked around the city, glancing down at the skeleton dogs running amongst the souls. he hummed while he looked around, bumping into a few souls, who apologized immediately. he brushed off the apologies and found himself using the fake smile he only used when he ordered mcdonald's while he was still alive.

what the hell?? how the hell am i gonna start a fight with any of these things?? his face twisted into a bitter expression as he continued to float along with the strangely humanoid outlines of the souls. he continued to knock into them, hoping to get a rise out of any of them— more apologies and no confrontations ensuing. janyu sighed, rolling his eyes to the left, where he spied a white soul diluted with a medium gray color, the two swirling and clashing within the human outline. janyu's expression darkened, a smug smile growing as he maneuvered through the mass toward the unsuspecting pneuma.

the soul looked up from the ground, sensing janyu's sudden presence. the ghost smiled, the soul's mass dwindled. "you're a ghost, aren't you?"

"how did you know?" the corners of janyu's mouth stretched up into a cheshire smile, his eyes flashed an indication of insidious mischief.

"ghosts aren't allowed in the spirit world, much less the city of wandering souls." the soul's voice was strong and aggressively masculine.

"and yet, here i am," janyu moved closer, the soul abruptly standing up. "i heard this place was better than whatever the human realm had to offer. you mind if i hang out with you here? kinda don't want someone to find me, or i'll be—" he slowly moved his thumb horizontally across his throat. "—you know?"

"why do you expect me to cover for you? how do i know you haven't done anything wrong?" the soul gave him a hard glare. its color was darkening. "i'm calling the watchmen."

"you do realize that if they're called, i'll be obliterated... like, i just said that." janyu made the punishment up. he had no idea what death would do to him if he was discovered, especially considering this would be the first time dropping by after the necropolis escapade.

"i'm going to turn you in." it lowly growled, its humanoid face only inches away from janyu's profile. the ghost's tiny smile stretched into a crooked one.

janyu's eyes darkened and his hands swiped at the soul, who was thrown back against the building. the ghost started to attract attention, standing in place and waiting for the soul to strike back. the gray pneuma raged toward its target, throwing janyu across the crowded street in one fluid motion. janyu was unpleasantly shocked, wondering if choosing this guy to start a fight with was the best idea. the soul picked up janyu in a single swift motion and raised him above his head with firey eyes. the ghost's would-be heart jumped in his chest, his lips parting and his limbs falling limp. he was panicking; he was hoping that his fate would end soon.

"how did a ghost get in here?"

it did. a large-framed, shadowy black figure with firey golden eyes had a low voice that turned the souls of the city into glowing balls of fear. the figure had pushed through the crowd effortlessly, all the souls in the spirit city quickly moving aside to reveal the scene janyu had started. the wisps atop its head flared up, making them look like horns of fire. when no one answered, it turned its head back to the ghost intruder. "take him to death."

he felt himself go cold— for one, the guy in front of him was really intimidating. his diluted soul pulsed roughly several times before registering the fact that a) he was already dead, therefore being taken to death did not mean he was going to be executed; and b) death's domain was exactly where he wanted to be.
 

vimaru was pressed. for one, death provided such limited information on what this ghost bandit named janyu actually did, so whenever the kids would ask about him, he had to make up answers that were both vague and not completely nonsensical. second, the two girls sitting in front of him were chewing his ear off with unnecessarily lengthy responses to his questions. as a third, death told him he would be personally asking the teenagers a question through him— and he definitely meant through him. in a word, vimaru was tired.

"so if you're a real ghost, you've seen other dead people, right?"

"mm-hm."

"then... can you tell my dog that i miss him and ask him how he's doing?"

"okay, look, guys, i'm going to leave for a little bit so you people can discuss whatever you need to discuss. when i come back, i'm expecting no more stupid questions and no more asking me to let you go, because death let me freeze time so no time has passed by since all eight of you got trapped in here." vimaru crossed his arms and stood up. "i'll see you losers later."

with that, he floated into the ceiling and into the shadows of the gymnasium. he breathed a long sigh of relief, falling on his back to lay down. i forgot how much i hated talking to people.

kiyeon looked at everyone in the room with a smile playing at her lips, her eyes sparkling. she knew making this joke would probably make her look stupid, but she couldn't help herself. "so how much do you think we're gonna get paid?"
 

death's place always reminded janyu of the principal's office, except less business and more... macabre. he knew it was designed to intimidate the souls who had never set foot in his "castle of the underworld" (a title created and embellished by janyu himself), but when one finds himself in the room more than a few times, it starts to look a little silly. the ghost considered everything about death to be silly, wondering why he was set to be in charge of an entire underworld empire. the ghost eyes rolled to the entrance on the right when the man of the hour arrived, unsurprised to see him sitting in his office for the umpteenth time.

"janyu," death's strikingly young voice rung, his chest heaved a long sigh, followed by a groan. he motioned for his guards to release the ghost from his bonds despite audible grumbling from the black shadow with wispy horns. "i would have thought it would be harder to catch you, but—" he looked back and gave the ghost a look of annoyance that was plain to see for anyone in the room, discounting the fact that death had no face. "—obviously not."

"yeah, i know, right?" he cheesed, laying himself on the couch in front of death's shelf of "supernatural supplies," as the reaper liked to call it. "anyway, you can just send me away and extend my sentence again. i don't think there's much you can do to punish me, anyway."

death's annoyed expression intensified. he waved his guards away before he turned around to continue organizing more of his supernatural supplies, which were on another shelf behind him. "you wanna tell me why you're here in the first place?"

the ghost reached through the shelf he laid under and began to toss around the various bottles, pouches, and archaic items he found. "i was in town, thought i'd want to drop in on you if you weren't busy." janyu made an obvious lie, telling death things he already knew weren't true so he wouldn't notice ghostly hands wandering toward the item of their choosing.

"okay, yeah, sure, just don't come back or i'll probably put you in a cave so no one will be able to see you again." the pitch black reaper picked up a jar of shimmering black powder. "put the cassette back."

janyu paused his actions for a short time, then reluctantly obeyed. "yes, dad."

"you can go now. your sentence is lengthened by ten years, you know the drill." death's palm glowed a dim gray, janyu's soul turning the same color for a brief moment.

the ghost was surprised. "you're letting me go just like that? i thought you wanted to talk me out of doing what i was doing for, like, half an hour and then throw me in ghost jail or whatever."

death turned around for a final time. "i was thinking about it, but i changed my mind," janyu could sense the shadows around him grow wicked grins that he couldn't decide were a good sign or a bad one. "it's no fun ending a chase that's only just begun."

janyu's expression twitched at the man's dark, blank face which was rampant with complacency in spite of his lack of features. the ghost held his chin up as he left, waving a half-hearted goodbye to his favorite grim reaper.

the reaper, however, staring at his enemy's backside, tightened his grip on the jar of sparkling black dust he held in his hand. there's no way i can find out what you're doing unless your plan is carried out further, he pressed his lips together into a line, looking down at the jar. do you even know what you're doing?
 
day one of the fall carnival ended without a hitch (unless, of course, you count eight kids being held captive in a dark room for however long and being granted a responsibility that could potentially affect the entire world), leaving everyone physically and emotionally tired. sanha looked behind him and stole a glance at the girl who brought success to their lowly first year photobooth. she let out a yawn as she walked outside into the chilly autumn air, her arms outstretched in front of her to get rid of the restless energy still sitting in her body. she gave him a small smile and waved, the boy continuing to walk as soon as she caught up with him.

"today was more fun than i thought it would be," sanha slid a hand into his pocket to pull out his phone. "the clean-up lasted a while, too. it's almost eleven."

meahri glanced at his phone when he showed her and let fall open. "oh my god, it's almost eleven," she felt around her pants pockets for her phone before realizing it was dead. "sorry, sanha, can i use your phone to text my mom? she must be sending a search party out for me right now." she managed to laugh in her situation, but she knew she would be getting the scolding of a lifetime as soon as she got home.

sanha obliged, handing the phone to her, not expecting the tall girl to type out a long apology to her mother, hand the phone back to him, and run all the way to the end of the street all in the course of about ten seconds. he shoved his device back into his pocket and smiled an endearingly charming smile, shouting a wish for a safe return home before she put too much distance in between them. she turned back and waved frantically; her bright, beaming smile could be seen from where he stood, and it made his heart swell.

meahri turned back around and began to dash in the direction of her home, which was only about ten minutes away on foot. she was determined to cut the time in half.

"isn't that the girl you came out of the haunted house with?" a second-year asked her friend as ahri sped by, surprised at her speed.

"oh my god, it is! um..." she bid goodbye to her friend when they passed her house before attempting to catch up with the first-year. "wait! busan transfer student!"

meahri turned her head to see bitna waving at her while she ran to catch up with her. she was pleasantly surprised that an upperclassman acknowledged her transfer, offering a sweet, small smile in response.

"you were in the room with me, right? you know kiyeon?" bitna asked, a little overwhelmed by ahri's unexpected height. she looked shorter when she was sitting down! she continued to walk at the same pace as the younger girl.

"oh, no, i don't really know her," meahri shrugged. "i think we were both equally interested in ghost guy's intentions. i'm gal meahri, i'm a freshman! i run the photobooth." she extended her hand kindly, still heavily breathing from the running she attempted earlier.

"it's nice to officially meet you! i'm song bitna," she took the younger's hand and shook it firmly. "junior class vp. i run the host club with—" she saw someone almost making a break for it out of the corner of her eye. "—chaejoon!"

chaejoon began to walk faster until bitna gained on him and dragged him over to meet meahri. he remained walking at a steady pace next to them while the two chatted away. why did you even call me over if you're just going to talk to each other??

"anyway, this is chaejoon!" bitna has a rabbit's smile, meahri noticed. "i just realized i don't even have your number! i'm going to make a group chat with the rest of the people who were thrown into this situation blah blah..."

"oh, cool! i'm surprised there were no other freshman who stumbled into the room but it's cool knowing more upperclassmen! blah blah..."

"i know! maybe they weren't as interested, blah blah..."

chaejoon only listened to the first parts of their sentences in case they asked him something, tuning out whatever he heard toward the middle of the phrase. he remained quiet, staring at the twinkling lights above them, admiring the moon. he ran a hand through his dark, mussed hair, numb to the world around him; his eyes glossed over while he walked blindly through the night.

"chaejoon! cj! are you even paying attention? chaejoonie??"

"what?? —don't call me that," he was surprised bitna would even resort to using such a nickname around him. "did you say something?"

"what the heck, you don't even pay attention to me." bitna faked a look of sadness and crossed her arms.

"yeah, and you tried to run away when we called you over!" meahri decided to side with bitna because she was already starting to take a liking to her.

"hey, don't defend her, i haven't even said anything to defend myself—!"

"oh, i have to go, this is my stop!" meahri bowed out of the conversation, happy to have met the two and had a nice conversation with one of them. they bid their goodbyes and meahri walked to her front door. she scratched her head and furrowed her brow while she unlocked the door to go inside. "are they dating?"

after receiving a scolding from her tired mother and a hug from her younger brother (who urged his mom to let him wait for meahri to come home), the tired freshman dragged herself up to her room where she took a warm shower, conducted her nightly facial cleansing routine, and brushed her pearly whites. today was a lot more tiring than school days usually were, and she had the busy carnival to blame. as an upside, she had a lot to write about in her diary that night.

"that ghost thing kinda freaked me out, but i'm still writing about it in my diary for future me to remember—" when meahri opened the blue book, a bright light consumed the entire room and faded, showing the young girl a vision of herself sitting at the edge of a cliff, smiling. a translucent white figure approached her from the clouds, a wicked expression clearly displayed on its face. meahri tried warning herself, but when she spoke, no words came out. the white figure grasped the doppelganger's neck and lifted her off the ground. its sharp-toothed smile stretched wider, swiveling so she was dangling over the cliffside below. it looked at the mute meahri with red, wide eyes before dropping its victim to her death.

the room filled with white light once again, fading to show meahri sitting on her bed, her diary closed. the girl remained in the same position for a few seconds before her body tottered its way over to her bedroom window, opened it, and chucked the diary as far away as she could. she calmly closed the window with a deep breath and made her way back to her bed.

"looks like i'm not writing in my diary tonight," her eyelids shut for a few moments as she sat with her comforter held close to her chest. she laughed softly while she turned off the lamp on her bedside table. "this ghost business must be some top secret stuff..."
 

hours had gone by after janyu returned to the mortal world and death was busy laying on his bed playing flappy bird. the bed was unneeded, as reapers didn't normally sleep (or at least the one before him never did). the phone was one he happened to aquire while reaping, accidentally taking a material item with him on his way back to the underworld. flappy bird, well, all dead apps have to go somewhere, don't they?

the black figure with wispy horns stood in the doorway of death's room, where he nervously awaited orders. "sir, i'll be taking my leave for the night. is there anything else you might need?"

"nah, nah, go home, myrus."

"i promise, i will catch that ghost, even if it's the last thing i do—"

"it's whatever. go home, don't worry about janyu, he's just some emo kid with daddy issues." death shuffled around his room, adjusting his glasses and taking pills with a glass of water. his bearing made him seem like a crusty middle-aged man despite looking so dapper and debonair outside of his home. the black figure (with skilled deduction skills could be concluded to have the name myrus) retreated into the shadows where he came, grumbling something to himself about restoring his honor and catching janyu if it was the last thing he would ever do.

death shuffled to the room adjacent to his comfortable bedroom, where his so-called "office supplies" were stored. he called it his living room, which, in hindsight, didn't much resemble a living room, more like a meth lab. death always took inventory of his supernatural office supplies before he went to bed, regardless of how much he hated his job. he knew some things would be missing following his visit from janyu, but he still had to figure out what they were. death took another look down his list while he sat at his desk.

"destiny dial, present. universal walkman, check. tape from the 1970s, not here..." death rolled his eyes. "he didn't put it back. wait— why would he take the tape without the universal walkman?" he stayed planted in that position for a long while until he started to zone out.

"whatever. i'll ask maru whenever he comes back."

with that, death finished inventory, hopped into his bed, and shut his eyes.
maru-n five (8 people)
song bitna (vp!), hong ji...
today, 00:25
wonderful lovely cousin
annyeong good morning whoever hasn't woken up yet please wake up bc jihyuk is getting antsy
ahn hyogyu (very tall!)
i'm omw right now
song bitna (vp!)
Why the hell did he want us to do this at 12 in the morning i could have just gotten the files from my auntie who works in that giant piece of government building
min woo (cool dude!)
uhh u good bitna? lmao
song bitna (vp!)
Oh my god did i actually post that???
Sorry guys, that was meant for my diary app 😷😷
Also i'm on my way rn!
gal meahri (1st year!)
it's ok don't sweat it!! gave me a pretty good laugh though hehe
go jihyuk
ch aEJoOn PLEASE WAKE UP
hong jiyul (??!)
i'm almost there
yong chaejoon (😈!)
Hey we're pretty much here where are u guys??
wonderful lovely cousin
haven't u been to my restaurant before?? tsk, tsk, i'm disappointed
yong chaejoon (😈!)
Shut up fish girl it's dark & foggy i can't see
wonderful lovely cousin
🤧🤧🤧
ahn hyogyu (very tall!)
is everyone there yet?
go jihyuk
i think so!!
hong jiyul (??!)
uh
gal meahri (1st year!)
hurry hurry!! i just won against kiyeon at rock paper scissors!!!!!
min woo (cool dude!)
....
why are we still texting each other
we're literally all in the same place i—
type your message...
SEND
chapter four: 나의 의무야
 
NES*NOTES : happy late anniversary to ataraxia!! i'm so glad i made this fic i love u guys i love ataraxia i love all your characters and i hopE u THINK THi s long awAitEd chaptER IS OK!!! !!!1!! !!!!!! took me a few months but here he is......more antics w the $quad coming soon love u guys ♡

p.s. rotation 2 is up hello
C-4 / MISSION ONE
some headaches won't go away
 
october 21, 2016: carnival day two
 
"so... how did recruiting go?"

"down the toilet."

"i see one of your teenagers already tried writing about you in her diary."

"yeah, well, we'll see how this works out in the morning."
 

it was five am in hoyang, the sun still tucked behind the earth so that in the next hour, the slightest sliver of light could illuminate the land. a thin fog covered the small town, leaving windows and windshields dripping with morning dew and reaffirming the cold weather forecast from the morning news.

jiyul slowly opened her eyes to the sound of birds chirping outside her window— something she didn't feel very fond of at the moment. things surely have changed, considering those same birds used to wake her up with traces of a smile in the past. instead of sitting up to stretch all the sleepiness out of her system, jiyul laid in that position for as long as she could without shifting into another one, trying to force herself to go back to sleep.

come to the docks. i'll wake you up if you're not up by six.

her eyes were open again. someone, the only person she knew actually could, had invaded her consciousness and left her with a chill that not even her comforter could warm. jiyul sat straight up in bed (unwillingly, of course) with a wide yawn and a heavy shudder. her comforter was still wrapped around her like a shawl, slowly falling to her waist while her head turned to find the person she was thinking of. she rolled her eyes when she heard his airy laughter in the back of her mind.

whatever, she rubbed her watery eyes, filled with tears from a previous yawn. i had to get up early today anyway.
 
her room was dark and messy, which was something that one could say about the state of her hair at the moment. the level of disorganization in her bedroom might be at the level of a pre-pubescent boy, but in the dark, a girl still knows her way around her own room. she tiptoed around her clothes to the bathroom, where she completed her usual morning routine.
 

six o'clock. chaejoon was the last to arrive, hands tucked snugly into the pockets of his windbreaker. hoyang's autumn mornings felt as if they were becoming slightly more insufferable each year. all of them sat at a short distance from each other, some sitting on boxes, some on the floor, and some standing. no one in the group was talking; the regular fisherman stared them down and wondered what kind of school kids would be out at six in the morning. and what were they even out here to do, exactly? be lectured by a specter? no, how silly.
 
"they look like penguins," one of the older men remarked, gesturing toward them with his chin. "the ones from antartica, the north pole."
 
"i thought penguins were in the south pole?" another questioned.
 
"no, i'm pretty sure it's the north—"
 
"dad, we can hear you," kiyeon faced her father, who was shocked that she'd discovered his hiding spot. it was apparent that he was following her and jihyuk out of curiousity. "we'll be fine, don't worry!"
 
"t-t... today's fishing day!" he insisted, hoping she'd take the bait.
 
"no, it's not. please go home." kiyeon's father behaved much like a child, sulking as he walked away from his two kids. some of the kids sitting near kiyeon could see the resemblance between her and her father. the eight turned away and continued to rub their hands together while they blew their breath in front of them and watched it disappear into the air.
 
"where is that guy, anyway?" that 'guy' bitna referred to was most definitely vimaru, as everyone shared a collective shiver of agreement.
 
"you called?" he rose out of the ocean in front of them with a yawn that managed to surprise the majority of the teenagers, leading to a strange chain reaction of disconcerted shouts among the team, ghost, and fishermen. the fishermen were the odds ones out; they couldn't even see what the kids were screaming at.
 
"okay, stop that!" he barked, quieting everyone. before continuing, he took a glance at the onlookers, who tried to appear unbothered while fixing small things on their boats. the eight followed his gaze, causing the men to quickly turn around and frivolously continue their busywork. vimaru turned his hands over so his palms faced upwards, inhaled sharply, and clenched his hands into fists. the men suddenly relaxed, beginning talking to each other about the day's catch and preparing to set sail, making the teens further intrigued with this ghost who calls himself vimaru.
 
"now that they're not paying attention to us—" he drifted toward them and sat on a nearby crate. "—i can talk about your first task."
 
two raised their hands, confused. "wait—"
 
"please save all questions until the end of the presentation—" vimaru opened his mouth to continue but shut it briefly to give two particular girls a look that said as much as he needed it to. "—and... don't interrupt me, yeah?" he monotonously directed. they nodded, staring at him.
 
"okay, uh... so i need you guys to go to city hall tonight to find some dumb old records," he pursed his lips. "you know those reality crime tv shows?"
 
"yeah—"
 
"don't interrupt me. we have to find out some background information on janyu in order to figure out what he's doing and why he's doing it. so, uh, these are your first steps!" he gestured to them.
 
"are we toddlers? what does that mean?" jiyul vocalized for the first time since the haunted house incident.
 
"stop!! interrupting me," vimaru snapped his head in her direction and slowly reverted it back to its original position. "these are your first steps toward becoming mystery solvers!" he faked enthusiasm, eyes strangely wide. he leaned back on his arm to recline on the crates behind him. "alright, presentation over, ask your questions."
 
"that's so cheesy," the youngest laughed, lifting a hand to while the other raised above her head. "also, i had a vision that i died last night? what does that mean?"
 
the other seven looked at her with worry and horror in their eyes; she said it so casually that they almost brushed it off. a few moved their gazes back on vimaru out of fear— a first for the group. meahri took a look at the others before turning to them and explaining.

"okay, well, i was about to write in my diary and then this really bright white light flashed and i saw myself sitting on a cliff. then this white thing came out of the sky and carried me, the other me, off the cliff by my—her—neck and dropped me! the other me!" ahri quickly clarified for the others, who froze on the spot. "then i closed my diary and threw it out the window because i thought there were, like, bad ghosts in it, or something."
 
everyone turned back to vimaru, still looking relaxed as ever.
 
"yeah, that's what happens when you try to tell someone what you're doing with me, or, in your case, when you write about it in your diary," he lazily explained. "other instances in which you would find yourself in this situation are: memorizing and verbally repeating any experiences we've had together to anyone other than our little group, using sign language or hand signals to communicate any experiences to another person, writing or illustrating a vivid novel about anything we've done together, and trying to take pictures of me."
 
"you'll show up on camera?" chaejoon asked, a look in his eyes that the second-years already knew entailed.
 
"no. that's a cute question, i'm gonna write that down." a twinkle of light and a puff of transparent smoke appeared around his eyes and his hands, materializing a pair of fake glasses perched on his nose and a pen and paper in his hands.
 
"so, we're kind of... trapped, in a sense?" woo observed. "what happens when we're in a situation where we have to tell someone the truth?"
 
it was quiet.
 
that last word stirred something in the ghost, as his usual lazy expression twitched into something unreadable and, at the same time, very clear. his playful attire disappeared into thin air, his brow noticeably pinched together with his eyes slowly glossing over.
 
unknown date (??:??) — a conversation between two
"can't you just tell me the truth for once? the only thing you do is lie to my face."

"that isn't the point, the point is that i got you out of there."
 
"you got me out of there, but—"
 
"—ru—!"
 
"—imaru?"
 
" ghost!"
 
"uh, are you okay?"
 
the back-and-forth conversation he heard faded away and was replaced with the kids asking him to come back to the real world. he stared at them and they stared back.
 
"yeah, uh, i'll take care of those kinds of situations, just keep your mouth shut until i come around."
 
it was still quiet, possibly quieter than before.
 
"what are you gawking at? just ask me the rest of your questions, let's get this over with." he avoided their eyes this time, watching the fisherman.
 
"are you sure you're okay? do you need to, uh... take... a breath...?" meahri asked slowly, obviously very unsure if this was the right term to use in this situation.
 
"i'm fine, just... do you guys have any more questions or are you going to keep staring at me?" he appeared to be his usual self again, as he began to lay his translucent body across the crates behind him. woo decided not to ask another question. it was quiet for a third time.
 
"what time do you need us to go there?" bitna spoke up, seeing as no one else was going to ask. "right after the carnival closes, around seven-thirty? town hall closes at around ten, so we have to be quick if we want to get there—"
 
"uhh, no..." vimaru thought it over for a few seconds. "wake up at, like, twelve, and we'll meet in front of kiyeon's restaurant." her family's restaurant was only a few yards away from where they were at the moment.
 
"twelve? as in, twelve in the morning?!" the vice president looked exeptionally confounded at his response.
 
"when else? twelve in the afternoon?"
 
"but we have to get up early to run our attractions for the carnival???" she leaned forward in her seat, hands still stuffed in her sweater pockets, expression filled with detestation. her reasons for not wanting to get up in the middle of the night were not as one would think; she just wanted to have one week of peace before schoolwork started piling up again. most teachers never think to assign homework when students spend so much time preparing for the biggest event of their school year.
 
"well, with all the adrenaline pumping through your excitable little human bodies, you won't need to get up anymore because you probably won't be able to sleep after our little escapade." vimaru stated, thinking this was good reasoning for getting up at such a late hour.
 
"we'll be tired while we're working!" bitna didn't plan to give up so easily.
 
"i'm always up late and i never get tired." he responded simply, raising an eyebrow. the group exchanged perplexed glances.
 
"i can tell that you've been dead for a while." jiyul monotonously remarked.
 
"yeah, trust me, it's not as great as you think it is." he propped himself up on one arm and laughed bitterly into the cold air, but jiyul's expression became as somber as the cloudless sky. she fiddled with the ends of her jacket sleeves.
 
"why can't we just go the day after tomorrow? some of the second-year attractions have that day off." bitna insisted in hopes of an affirmative answer.
 
"kid, you don't understand the gravity of this situation," vimaru looked bitna straight in the eye. she felt herself freeze on the spot. "there's a bad ghost out there who wants to do something that could potentially mean the end of your world and mine. death, uh... chose me and you eight to find out what that is and stop him as quickly as possible, even if that means waking up at twelve in the morning to get some background info on this guy."
 
"oh." she retracted her argument despite still being opposed to losing five hours of sleep.
 
"uh," vimaru stared at them for a small while. "yeah, be at the meeting spot by twelve-thirty or else i'll find a way to jab you in the ribs or something."
 
"roger that, vimaru!" meahri was the only one to respond since no one else seemed to want to promise him that they'd make it. perhaps it was because of the story she told from the night before.
 
the group began to stand up when the ghost released the charm he cast to keep others from disturbing them. this, bitna assumed, signaled the end of the conversation. she tried to run over and ask him some other questions she was curious about before they all left, but his gossamer figure had already disappeared in a white-gray cloud of smoke.
 
he reappeared momentarily.
 
"oh yeah, and also, stop calling me vimaru. it's a mouthful. i prefer maru, anyway."
 
janyu found himself wandering the forest on the outskirts of hoyang, eyes glossed over, all limbs fallen limp. he had been mindlessly floating around that place since the guards from death's castle threw him out of the spirit world and was just recently awoken by the bizzare sounds of a fox. his grip on the cassette tightened and almost slipped through his fingers (quite literally), but before it could fall out of him, he dropped flat on his back onto the grass.
 
by the way the sun beamed through gaps in the tree leaves, it seemed like it was almost half past noon. he sighed when a squirrel or two passed through him unknowingly. he knew he was wasting daylight but he never feels like doing anything when he wakes up from blacking out. his free hand made an attempt to block the sun from his eyes, but he remembered: "right, that doesn't work because my hand is transparent. what the ."
 
janyu rolled to his feet, cassette still in hand. "anyway," he started, "i have some more errands to run before i get to go back to the neighborhood."
 

the night wind rustled the trees and all was calm for a few moments before a group of teenagers rose from the dead. in the ahn household, a tall boy with droopy eyes and a messy bedhead awoke to the sound of his default alarm ringing obnoxiously loud. once he realized what was happening, he rushed to turn it off so he wouldn't wake his parents or his sister, his heart beating out of his chest.
 
"why did maru have to make us do this at twelve in the morning?" he asked himself groggily as he threw on a more presentable t-shirt and a pair of dark jeans. "why couldn't it be, i don't know, while office hours are open?"
 
he stared at himself in the mirror and splashed some cold water on his face. he figured he didn't have to fix his hair if he wore a hat, so he grabbed a snapback and a face mask from his dresser on his way out of his room. a dim light clicked on.
 
"where do you think you're going?"
 
hyogyu almost jumped out of his pants at the sight of his twin sister sitting at the base of the front door, shining a flashlight below her face so the shadows were inverted. she turned it off and stood up to block the door, but anyone could see the huge height difference between the two wouldn't do her any good. ahn hyoeun is a petite girl with round cheeks and a soft personality, but isn't one to be trifled with if one happens to be her twin brother sneaking out to do something illegal.
 
"you scared me, i thought you were a burglar or something." he had his hand over his heart, which was still beating at an elevated rate. he grabbed a windbreaker from the coatrack next to her and slipped it on without answering her question.
 
"it's twelve midnight, shouldn't you be asleep?" hyoeun crossed her arms.
 
"shouldn't you?" he shoved his hands in his pockets and leaned down to reach eye level, which was what he did when he was trying to provoke her.
 
"but you have a booth to run tomorrow," she scrunched up her nose and pushed him back with her index finger. "and i'm used to staying up past midnight."
 
"i have to do something important and it involves doing things at twelve," he knelt down and began to put his shoes on. "so, please move out of the way, big sister."
 
hyoeun stared him down with furrowed brows and knelt down to meet his eyes. "do you have a secret lover?"
 
hyogyu was so astonished at the question that he almost fell on his backside. he chuckled awkwardly as he finished putting on his second shoe, grabbing his sister from under her arms and placing her out of the way of the front door.
 
"i don't. i'll see you when you wake up." he gave her an affectionate pat on the head and headed out the door with the face mask over his mouth.
 
hyoeun was left standing there, dumbfounded.
 
"did he just treat me like a pet cat? and wait, does his answer mean that he does have a secret lover?" she wondered aloud while she made her way to her room.
 
hyogyu watched her bedroom light click off as an indication that she was going to sleep, finally, and started to respond to the texts in the group chat. the air outside was slightly more bearable than it was in the morning, he noticed, but it was almost twice as foggy. walking around in the chill caused his eyes to water. in addition, his sleepiness caused him to let out a long yawn that made his eyes to tear up even more, resulting in a tear-stained face and slightly blurry vision.
 
more texts came in and he read them.
 
he heard heavy footsteps behind him and quickened his pace as he walked down the slope, hoping the person wasn't following him. he felt someone's gaze boring into the back of his head. his pace became faster again, but the footsteps continued to be at the same distance as they were before. hyogyu almost decided to break into a sprint before a familliar voice called out to him from behind.
 
"hey, if you start running, i'm going to kick you in the !" the tall boy turned around to see another tall boy trying to catch up with him.
 
"kick me in the...?" chaejoon appeared on hyogyu's right side with something of a half smile. "oh, it's just you. you almost gave me my second heart attack tonight."
 
"second...?" the former turned his head back and wondered this aloud, not sure whether he wanted the answer to his question or not.
 
the walk to kiyeon's restaurant was silent except for the sounds of shoes tapping the ground and the chirping of crickets around them. neither really had much to say, but what could they say to start a conversation without it sounding unnatural?
 
the silence was broken every so often by the jarring ping!s of group chat notifications and the subsequent clicking of touch-screen keyboards in response to the aforementioned notifications. they only talked to suggest the use of flashlights, since the fog was so dense that neither could see past their hands if they were outstretched.
 
meanwhile, the ones who had already arrived were either awkwardly talking about how foggy it was, desperately trying to keep their eyes open, or unsuccessfully playing rock-paper-scissors in the dark. one could argue the group had mixed emotions about this situation.
 
"what's that?" woo spotted a light in the distance that was getting bigger, or, in the context of these circumstances, closer. he yawned, not putting two and two together yet.
 
"i-is that...?" bitna's eyes widened and her words got caught in .
 
"it's the fuzz!" meahri whisper-screamed, grabbing the older girl's wrist and scanning for a close-range hiding spot.
 
before anyone could say anything, they were all running for a hiding spot out of fear of being caught participating in suspicious activity (such as the ones mentioned before).
 
the cousins ran—or rather, jihyuk froze up on the spot and kiyeon pulled him away—off to the side of the building to the upstairs storage room: a hiding spot they knew too well after years of playing hide and seek outside. luckily, the window was open, so both could squeeze inside in time.
 
woo began running back the way he came, which was the hill adjacent to the go family's restaurant and also the hill another figure was walking down. he had no time to look at who it was and, frankly, didn't care as much until he heard their voice calling out to him from behind. 
 
bitna and meahri dived behind the small space between the dumpster and the wall. jihyuk and kiyeon caught a glimpse of the two and where they were hiding and felt a tinge of guilt for not telling them how bad of a spot they chose in time. the girls somehow blocked out the general smell of stale garbage and rotting fish in their hurry to hide, but the stink became a thousand times more distinct when they were actually behind it.
 
the light was slowly getting closer and became much brighter as it approached the four teenagers. in fact, it became so bright that it flooded the entire area in front of the restaurant in blinding white light. meahri looked at her senior and mouthed, 'are you sure that's a regular flashlight?'
 
bitna took a peek out of the side of the dumpster and instantly wished she hadn't. the vision she saw gave her a headache and caused a ringing in her ears, resulting in the heavily breathing vice president falling on her knees and covering her face with her hands. meahri was horrified and tried to tend to the fallen girl, taking her as far back away from the light as she could.
 
jihyuk and kiyeon backed as far as they could into their hiding spot after realizing they weren't under the gaze of a policeman. they looked at each other briefly before ducking behind a few boxes, closing their eyes, and hoping whatever was out there would leave them alone.
 
chaejoon and hyogyu arrived at the time their ghost boss told them to, but didn't dare approach kiyeon's restaurant when they saw the light. both ducked behind a concrete fence after coming too close and briefly experiencing what happened to bitna.
 
woo luckily recognized the voice calling out to him as jiyul's and didn't run too far away from the restaurant, but as soon as they bumped into each other, it was too late. the light drew them in and didn't cause them to look away in pain, perhaps because the light was locking eyes with them.
chapter five: 놀란
 
NES*NOTES : r u guys still alive lmao HI IM BACK AGAIN™ in case u were curious zojang's fc is jaemin in chewing gum with the messy hair but less smiley, , and if there's a word in this chapter (or any future chapter) that's discolored pls click on it. i promise nothing bad will happen (hint: there's 2 links in this ch)
also please look up the instructions for five hour energy (drink responsibly)
C-5 / MIDNIGHT HEIST
it shouldn't be considered a crime if we didn't steal anything...
 
october 22, 2016: carnival day three, a few hours before current time
 
"i thought we established that you were to never contact me here again."
 
"aw, come on, zonko... you know i used to be your number one client—"
 
"first of all, you know my name is zojang, so stop calling me that, and second— i cut off service to you because instead of actually getting me tonic ingredients, you found my stash and gave me the things i already had. you were lucky i made other clients get me things i needed to stock up on."
 
a few hours before the gang encountered their first attack was when janyu woke up from his trance and had his little episode. one of the "errands" he had to run was going to the graveyard to convince zojang that he needed his business again.
 
zojang is a ghost who spends his time in the farthest back corner of hoyang's north graveyard and deals favors out to other ghosts who may need help accelerating their ghost time along. he has a fairly young face, having died at the age of fifteen and remained a ghost for almost thirty years now. he and janyu have something of a complicated business relationship.
 
"that was in the past, i've changed!" janyu laid himself across the area in front of zojang, stomach-down, chin propped up by his hands. "i brought you something to prove it."
 
"whatever it is, i don't want it—" there was a snap and an airy poof-ing sound. in a semitransparent, glimmering cloud of smoke, a spool of blue thread appeared and hovered just inches away from zojang's nose. his eyes glistened with desire; he was hypnotized. "where did you get this?"
 
"it was in some abandoned house. look at how much it glows," janyu snapped his fingers again and the blue thread was in his hands. zojang's eyes followed the thread as janyu tossed it back and forth between his hands. his pupils became elliptical, his breathing became heavy. "do we have a deal?"
 
the younger ghost's stare was drilling into janyu, still laying on the floor in front of him. from janyu's actions, it looked as if he didn't feel it. zojang must have been thinking very hard about this decision; if he thought any more, he looked like he would explode.
 
"fine," zojang hissed shrilly. "give me the thread and we'll talk like civillized people."
 
"no need," janyu tossed him his bone and appeared behind him with a toothy smile. somehow, this kind of smile did not appear to be the correct kind of smile. "just leave the portal open and i'll come to you with new things for new favors."
 
"i know how my own business works," zojang's pupils were normal again. "now leave me alone, go do whatever you're supposed to do."
 
and with that, janyu disappeared. the young-looking apothecary placed the glowing thread at his side. he felt like his brain was pulsing against his skull. what the hell was all that?
 
october 23, 2016: carnival day four, present time
 
to the two third years, there were no other people that existed in the presence of this light, nor were there any second thoughts about being absorbed into the light's foreign embrace. the two reached out while a penetrating, gritty cackle echoed around them. all the others were frozen in their spots, shutting their eyes, sweat dripping down their backs.
 
chaejoon and hyogyu had just barely arrived at the meeting spot and were almost blinded by the piercing ray of white standing at the base of the hill where woo and jiyul were coming down. chaejoon, who had ducked behind a concrete wall, pulled hyogyu back before he could get any closer. they looked at each other, breathing heavily.
 
"what is that?" chaejoon's voice was barely audible.
 
"you ask me like i know what it is!" hyogyu's eyes were wide, his voice also kept to a low whisper.
 
"like you know what what is?" maru arrived in a cloud of translucent smoke, as one does. he laid atop of the wall, facing the side both boys were hiding behind. the two flinched instinctively at his sudden appearance but did not make a sound.
 
maru peeled himself off the wall and, as if he was underwater, floated in front of them to an angle at which they were staring at each other upside-down. he could see terror in their eyes.
 
"what, did i scare you, or someth—" the ghost playfully prodded before realizing what was happening on the other side of the wall. "—ing? oh, ..."
 
maru swam through the wall and made his way to into a house next to where jiyul and woo were standing. there was a group of unconscious teenagers strewn around the room. their television was still on, but the screen displayed words instructing the owners to restart the cable box.
 
he scanned the room for something, but his expression indicated no hint of what it was.
 
"oh!" he picked up a can of beer off the ground and tossed it back and forth between his hands. traces of a smile appeared on his face. "kids these days..."
 
after opening a small window near the ceiling for the beer to come through, he exited the house and angled himself slightly above the third years. with whatever energy he could muster, he hurled the can of beer at the light, which flew back with a high-pitched screech. all of them covered their ears as it flew like a helium balloon and landed on the cement with a clinking noise.
 
"wooh," maru sighed, then floated in the direction of the remains of the white light and picked up the emerald green gems that remained. the eldest boy jerked his head in the ghost's direction upon thinking he called his name. "how did that guy get here?"
 
"whu— what?!" meahri, leaving bitna behind the dumpster, ran to the ghost (or, at least, tried to, her legs had turned to jelly in her state of unease), her eyes wild. "what do you mean, 'how did that guy get here'?! you mean, you didn't know where he— uh, it came from?!"
 
"woah, hey wait a minute," maru noticed the third years had snapped out of their trance and were walking toward them with a mild daze. the others—excluding bitna—were making their way to their meeting site, having noticed the lack of blinding white light. "i know exactly where he— it came from, i just didn't expect it to be gallivanting around hoyang like a customer at your carnival! i had nothing to do with thi— oh, um..."
 
now, they had all taken notice of the vice president crawling toward them like a crippled swamp monster emerging from its swamp cave. her eyes were closed, but she felt arms wrap around her shoulders and waist to help her get to where they were all convened. maru told them to let her lay down on the floor for a few minutes, maybe let her sleep for a bit before directing the conversation toward what had just happened.
 
"that was a seven-foot light demon, rated eight out of ten on the official danger scale of the netherworld."
 
"there's an... official... danger scale? are you joking?" woo rubbed his eyes under his glasses.
 
"i am not joking, and yes, the official danger scale was completely patented by death himself, so if he ever comes by again, you can ask him yourself," the third-year boy furrowed his eyebrows. "anyway, light demons, in case you ever come across another one, have only one weak spot and it's their eyes. did you two get a glimpse of what they looked like or were you too greatly seduced by its inexplicably radiant charms?" maru turned his head toward the two third-years again.
 
"hey, we almost died—"
 
"they were shiny and green." jiyul voiced, rubbing her eyes as well.
 
"correct! you get a prize—" at this point, maru handed her the gems he held in his hand. "—the eyes. now, i'm going to need you to step on them, or else it has a small chance of coming back to, uh, life? even if it wasn't exactly alive..."
 
jiyul gave maru a look and he immediately took the gems out of her hands and placed them in woo's. he looked around and was met with expectant eyes. after tossing them on the floor and raising his foot over them, he stomped. they crumbled like they were made out of sand.
 
"cool, now that that's over and done with..." maru peered at bitna, who was waking up. there was a melancholy air about her. maru dragged his gaze off her to look at the rest of the kids. "after she's done readjusting we'll get this plan of ours settled and then we'll try to get it done in a timely manner."
 
"timely manner... weren't you the one who was late in the first place?" meahri blurted. despite having not planned to say anything before, the expression on her face could have fooled anyone.

maru laughed dryly in response and turned around. "anyway, let's get this plan laid out. talk amongst yourselves while i collect my thoughts."
 
"by collect his thoughts i think he means come up with the plan." chaejoon muttered.
 
kiyeon ran back to the alley she and jihyuk had just used to hide, but instead of going back upstairs to the storage room, she grabbed a plastic water bottle from the box of twenty-four and came back to give it to bitna. the latter took it and offered a smile as thanks. it really wasn't long until maru had 'collected his thoughts' and started talking agai—
 
maru cleared his throat.
 
"okay, now that you've all calmed down..." he paused for a short while. "i think..." he paused again, seeing that they were still engaged in conversation, but continued with his statement. "i can tell you the plan," maru saw all of them face him with looks that suggested resentment. he ignored them. "we're going to break in."
 
there was silence.
 
jihyuk broke into a cold sweat.
 
"we're going to do what?!" bitna, though still a bit groggy, was obviously against this. woo seemed to agree with her, seeing that they had the exact same expression on their faces.
 
"first of all— that's very illegal."
 
"no ..." jiyul muttered under her breath.
 
"there are no consequences for you because you're a ghost—" ("obviously,") "—but what are the guards going to say when they see eight WACK teenagers snooping around in the city files??" he stressed, thinking about his college admissions counselor crying on the floor of her office while kiyeon silently thanked maru for bringing them into this situation because without him, she would have never heard woo say those two words together.
 
"well—"
 
"and what about our parents? how will they react when they see our faces on the news with headline, 'TEEN DELINQUENTS BRUTALLY MURDER ELEVEN SECURITY GUARDS WHILE COMMITTING ROBBERY OF CITY HALL'???" meahri pictured her mother cradling a photo of her while crying in front of the television with her brother.
 
"i don't think eleven is a very realistic number for us..." chaejoon also muttered.
 
"listen—"
 
"and even if we do manage to get out without being caught, there would still be security footage of us breaking in! i would know, i watched 'madame antoine: the love therapist' in the span of eight hours." kiyeon pointed out, slowly losing her grip on jihyuk's sweaty hand.
 
"aren't there, like sixteen one-hour long episodes?" hyogyu asked, but in a muttering way. his volume changed when he realized something. his faced turned white and his eyes were wide. "my basketball scholarship..."
 
"HEY," maru's voice was suddenly loud enough to overpower them. the eight became silent but their faces still had expressions of objection to his plan. "do you know what our team motto is?"
 
"we... don't even have a team name..." hyogyu said pointedly, his color restoring a bit now.
 
"we'll figure one out later, but our motto is..." maru outstretched his hands as if trying to get the rest of them to join in unison. "...our motto is, 'in maru we trust,' so! in conclusion, you should all trust me, i have everything figured out."
 
"i did not agree to that motto." the youngest remarked. most of the group scowled at him. the ghost knew he wasn't making a very good argument but he decided to roll with it.
 
"alright, okay, how about this: i tell you all the rest of the plan and you decide to go along with it." maru stuck his index finger up his nose and turned his head away to avoid looking at their reactions. he couldn't help taking a sidelong glance in their direction and wondering whether they heard that last part or not.
 
it was quiet again and the two dedicated scholars of the group still insisted on going home, but the rest were undecided, as if they were somehow considering breaking into a government building in the wee hours of morning.
 
"remember, fate of the world!" maru sang, flicking something off his finger. bitna and woo looked like they were communicating through each others' eyes. there was imminent curiosity behind their worried gazes, but committing a crime could put everyone in a very bad state.
 
what do we have to lose by just listening to him? woo pulled one corner of his mouth into an awkward smile and nodded his head in maru's direction. bitna let out a small sigh and turned toward the ghost.
 
"okay, beaneru," she crossed her arms. he sat up straight and wiped his finger on his shirt. "we'll listen to your plan."
 
"great! let's walk and talk."
 
there was a feeling of dread in the pit of their stomachs when they woke up three hours after they had committed a federal crime.
 
the show must go on, a familiar voice echoed in their minds. maru thought the telepathy effect would be cool, but none of them were in the same place at the same time, so it was just creepy (or at least, it would have been to anyone else— they were all used to this kind of stuff from him by now). all of them knew he was talking about and none of them were too thrilled to go back to the carnival that morning.
 
"why can't he just tell me to wake up and get ready for school like a normal mom?" jihyuk was dead tired but that didn't stop him from getting up out of fear of losing his job at the booth. after washing up and throwing on his uniform, he walked into the kitchen to see kiyeon wandering aimlessly around, sort of like a roomba.
 
"oh, yeah... that," she mumbled after pausing for a whole ten seconds in front of the dining table. "g'morning, jihyuk. how was your nap?"
 
"it was fine... what are you doing?"
 
"i found some five-hour energy bottles in the pantry so i think i'll take some just for today. do you want one?" she handed the bottle she'd already opened to him.
 
take half (½) bottle for moderate energy take whole bottle for MAXIMUM energy do not exceed tWo bottles uhh... his eyes scanned the instructions quickly so he knew how to use it, but he didn't drink any yet. what does MAXIMUM energy even mean?
 
"i think i'll just have this for now," he placed the small bottle aside and poured himself some of the (cold) leftover coffee his aunt and uncle left in the pot earlier that morning. the two of them chatted for a bit about the night before waited for their breakfast things to finish warming up in the microwave.
 
"i mean... janyu looks like a guy who's been doing bad stuff, but are we really ones to judge? we haven't even met the g—" kiyeon paused when she saw her cousin pouring the whole five-hour energy (along with a few spoonfuls of sugar) into his coffee like nothing else mattered to him. "are you oka—"
 
suddenly, jihyuk was in the middle of exchanging a container of spicy rice cakes for some money, since he didn't really remember anything that happened after she said that. he looked over at hyogyu, who was already staring at him. he seemed a bit scared.
 
meanwhile, back at the host club, bitna was running things smoothly as per usual. she had recovered from the blinding of the light demon and was functioning just fine, so running the host club was no problem for her. she was deeply unaffected by this strange midnight heist, since everyone got out fine and nothing went wrong, but she couldn't shake the feeling that maru was hiding something. no matter! she had other things to worry about, specifically managing the line to the attraction that was yong chaejoon.
 
chaejoon had fallen asleep on the couch while waiting for guests to come to him, so bitna decided to put red velvet rope around the area and make this some kind of spectacle for patrons to take pictures of (or with, for a price). the other hosts laughed at all the attention he was getting and some even paid to take a picture with the "sleeping bad boy", as bitna so fittingly named him.
 
kiyeon, in the classroom over, was making ramyeon (again) and staring at the clock, which ticked ever so slowly. she had a half-desire to be in jihyuk's shoes, his energy levels bursting through the roof without having meant to. her eyes were blinking themselves shut as red velvet's one of these nights echoed through her mind.
 
gee, do i wish i was in my rose quartz and serenity comforter™ right now, she laughed to herself as her head nodded backward and shifted her hands. she almost continued chopping scallions if it wasn't for hyoeun, who snatched the knife out of her hands.
 
"kiyeon, you're going to cut your fingers off!" hyoeun looked at her friend with worry in her eyes. her expression changed when she remembered something. "were you with my brother last night, by any chance?"
 
"yeahhmm..." kiyeon blinked at her, her expression was actually really cryptic. hyoeun had to sit down for a while.
 
downstairs, the photobooth was still booming with business and meahri still seemed to be as energetic as ever. everything seemed normal except, upon closer inspection, one could notice that both of her eyes were closed whenever she'd take a picture. this would be a problem, but all the pictures ended up as nice as (if not, better than) the ones she'd taken when she was fully awake. her classmates were clearly amazed and told her to take a break a few times, but it seemed as if she was deaf to their calls. it might be useful to mention that she was wearing a pair of prop sunglasses with pineapples wearing shades attached to the frames the whole time.
 
as for the seniors, woo had a shift with seungcheol, who was flirting with whoever was lucky enough to stumble upon their booth. woo told jiyul to go take a nap somewhere since she didn't have to show her face to the people until the afternoon, when it usually gets busy. she wandered past all the attractions on the first floor of the third year building. students stared at her dumbfoundedly, something people do when they have nothing better to do. jiyul simply dragged herself past them and into a secluded, unused classroom. turning on the lights was unnecessary, she thought, since she was just going to sleep there anyway.
 
as uncomfortable as school desks usually are, jiyul managed to contort her body into a position that was sleepable in. her nap didn't last very long, though, since the lights kept turning on and off. she was annoyed, of course, who wouldn't be when trying to fall asleep with an inconsistent light setting and sudden chills washing over one's jacket-covered shoulders.
 
jiyul, ticked off, pinched her eyebrows togther into an annoyed expression and opened her eyes rather aggressively. she sat up and peered around the room, only to be met with the skull of a plastic skeleton inches away from her face. she, of course, being jiyul, didn't react. instead, she shifted her glance to the peculiar, highly amused face behind the skeleton. below the skeleton was a pale hand propping the neck up and another hand at the base of the spine.
 
"are you new here, or something?" jiyul shoved the skeleton out of her face to see the face of the person— er, ghost that the eight (nine, including maru) had seen in the file they took pictures of that very morning. he was much taller than she thought. then again, he was floating off the ground.
 
"you can see me?" janyu's playful smile dissolved his expression into something slightly sinister. he circled the girl, scanning her every movement. for the first time in a while, jiyul felt a pit of anxiety pooling in her stomach.
 
when she didn't respond, he continued to prod her with questions. "you seem apprehensive. do you know something about me?"
 
jiyul caught his eye and instinctively tugged on her sleeves, the fresher scars on her forearm suddenly throbbing with the increasing beat of her heart. whether or not janyu was the cause of this, she was unsure, but the ghost definitely picked up on her shift in attitude as his eyes darted to her wrists. "a tortured soul, eh?" he couldn't help the obscure smile from growing on his face as he passed through her. this sent a shiver down her spine and filled her stomach with inexplicable dread. "you're just like me, then. tell me, my tormented twin, how can you see me?"
 
despite her strong distaste in his choice of words, she forced herself to come up with a believable excuse so he wouldn't suspect her. he had no reason to believe that anyone was against him, but he also had no reason to believe there wasn't, and she had to keep it that way until they had a plan of action. or at least that's what maru said. it was hard to remember, they were up until three in the morning.
 
"i," she paused briefly to phrase a coherent sentence. "...have been able to see ghosts since i was little."
 
"oh?" janyu circled her once more, wearing the playful smile he had on at the beginning of their interaction. he glanced at her nametag. "maybe... miss... jiyul, is it? do you want to help me have some fun?"
 
"no." she deadpanned. janyu almost looked offended.
 
"but it'll be exciting!" he raised his pitch as he said this to her in a singsong voice. "haven't you ever made friends with a ghost before? i mean, you must have, if you've been able to see ghosts since you were a little girl... surely you've mistaken a ghost for a person, haven't you?" his tone raised again at the end of his sentence.
 
this guy is really persistent... also is he 30 or 300
 
she stared at him and crossed her arms. "okay, fine, how about i think about it and get back to you later. is that okay with you?" she sounded like she was talking to a toddler, but she was still careful about what she wanted to tell him.
 
janyu clicked his tongue and appeared to be disappointed; whether he actually was disappointed or was just being tricksy, jiyul, again, could not tell.
 
"okay, fine," he imitated her as he started to head toward the window. "let's meet between the first and second year buildings tomorrow. you better be there or i'll be very sad." with that, he left through the window and faded into the crowded space outside. the last expression on his face before he left was a childish pout, bottom lip jutting out and all. she preferred not to let that be the way she remembered him.
 
jiyul, a bit shaken, relaxed her shoulders (which had slowly raised up as they talked) and began briskly walking back to the ring toss booth to kick seungcheol out. woo assumed she gained her energy back within that hour and acted like he didn't notice her fidgeting with her sleeves. she couldn't decide whether she wanted to tell woo what had happened to her in substitute for her nap. minutes passed as they watched a few people throw the plastic rings at the glass bottles for whoever they were with. jiyul ran her fingers through her mussed hair and stole a glance at her classmate? co-worker? fellow ghost hunter? she wasn't clear on what to call him and didn't know why she suddenly cared so much.
 
whatever, she thought to herself. moment's gone. just forget about it until the next group meeting.
 
october 23, 2016: carnival day four at 1am, heist time
 
there's no way this is going to work, woo thought as maru was explaining the plan.
 
there's no way this is going to work, hyogyu thought upon reaching the building.
 
"there's no way this is going to work," bitna whispered to herself as they all got into position.
 
"there's absolutely no way this is going to work," meahri voiced aloud when maru passed through the building. it may be worthy to note that she was extremely fidgety. jihyuk almost fainted.
 
maru flew up to the second floor. he counted at least two guards per floor on either side, almost all of them asleep at their stations.
 
poor dudes. if we get caught, they might get fired. maru yawned despite not actually being tired. perhaps this symbolized something.
 
in the room closest to him was a guard manning the cctvs, wide awake. maru watched one of the older guards (who had a mustache, he remembers) stop by to tell him it was fine to stop for thirty minutes to take a nap and that his eyesight would get worse if he was too close to the screens. the younger guard shook his head firmly. he was bent on watching those screens for anything abnormal. the older guard with the mustache sighed and began to retreat back to his post at the security panel. maru took this opportunity to follow him back, apologize briefly, and claim the man's body for himself.
 
"ugh," he shuddered, his eyelids suddenly dense with drowsiness. "humans are so heavy and sad, is this how it's always been?"
 
the mustached man's voice was a lot deeper than maru's own, so he started saying random words as he looked for the appropriate switches. after observing him and his coworkers so gracefully fumble around with the security panel the day before, maru skillfully flipped the switch labeled 'main security' into its off position. he began to wonder if it was actually this easy and if the movies just exaggerated how complicated on and off buttons were.
 
despite not having run the plan at all, ever, chaejoon managed to pick the lock of a window on the first floor quickly and quietly. bitna was about to interrogate chaejoon about how he knew how to do this but was interrupted by hyogyu coming in between them to squeeze through the open window in order to apprehend the younger guard on the second floor.
 
"he doesn't have long legs for nothing," kiyeon muttered as she watched him climb the stairs four steps at a time and as she waited for jihyuk to worm his way through the window.
 
there was a sound of knuckles hitting flesh on the second floor just as the last member of the eden ghost squad tumbled into the building. luckily the two first-floor guards were still asleep when the eight heard this happen and rushed to stifle the noises of meahri gasping and jihyuk breathing heavily. once they got to the second floor, though, all they saw were hyogyu facing away from them, shoulders hiked up to his neck and maru retreating from the mustached guard's body, which rolled onto the floor. the younger guard was passed out on the floor next to him.
 
"what happened? i thought we weren't going to use vioience!" bitna whisper-screamed. kiyeon tried to look worried, but really, she couldn't hold in her excitement. she was having an adrenaline rush just looking at the two people passed out on the floor, possibly dead.
 
"i miscalculated," maru stated simply, shaking his appendages to rid himself of the feeling of living. "he was getting suspicious so i swung at him without remembering human bodies require a lot less effort to control since ghost bodies are literally less than air—"
 
he stopped when he saw the kids gawking at him in disbelief. "i punched him really hard. i think i broke his jaw. did you grab the custodian's keys?"
 
hyogyu turned around to join the others, who either snorted in efforts to hold back their laughter or gasped in great effort to hold back a scream, depending on how scary a plastic iron man mask looks in dim lighting to each member. he realized his and took it off, almost laughing himself.
 
must be the midnight madness, thought the ghost as he stared at the giggling twelve-year-olds in front of him.
 
"kiyeon, do you have the custodian's keys?" he asked again, gesturing to the storage closet door just to the left of them.
 
"yeah!" she fished the keys out of the pockets of her oversized pink hoodie and made the action to throw the ring at maru.
 
"don't throw them—!" unfortunately, she had only just realized her mistake after the keys were already in the air. hyogyu managed to catch them before they landed on the floor in front of the unconscious bodies and under maru's ghostly feet.
 
the eight broke into a fit of giggles again as hyogyu placed the keys in the smaller girl's hand. this action, though small, lifted a bit of pressure from the tension of the night and left a certain basketball team captain slightly flustered. as the others calmed down, kiyeon made her way to the storage closet door and flipped through the keys to find the right one. meanwhile, their ghost leader decided to run the rest of the plan again.
 
"so, while mr. reflexes and mr. class rep shove those guards in the closet, nose picker—" "i think you meant to say lock picker" "—and sad girl keep watch over the staircase. vice president, tall girl, and sweaty neck will come with me to the town records room to take pictures of janyu's file."
 
"what—" jihyuk glanced at his cousin. some were surprised he was calm enough to speak clearly. "what about kiyeon?"
 
"oh yeah, fish hands has the keys so she'll be locking and unlocking the doors." kiyeon heard this and frowned at her nickname. maru looked over at her. "good thinking wearing gloves. you won't leave any prints."
 
"uh, yeah..." the closet door clicked open. "it's not like i was cold or anything..."
 
the plan they had just discussed fell through smoothly; kiyeon was able to unlock the records room much faster because the key was actually labeled. the six (adding hyogyu and woo now that they were finished hiding bodies) searched through the death records for almost half an hour until they narrowed it down to four drug overdose cases, three automobile collision cases, and one drowning case— all within the year range close to when janyu died.
 
"any of them look familiar to you?" bitna eyed maru and later refocused her eyes on the files.
 
"kim minhyung..." the photo was of a kid who was said to have died at the age of seventeen. "kind of young. not him." the file was put away.
 
"oh hamin?" woo pointed the photo out. it was of a frowning man who died when he was twenty-five. one could say he wasn't the most handsome man.
 
"definitely not. kind of ugly and old as . put that away." maru's eyes drifted to the next file. "gong howon...?" maru used his ghost powers to zoom in (aka he leaned in closer) and pointed at the photo. the person depicted had a thin face and bleached blonde hair. "that's the one, gong howon—"
 
upon saying the name a second time, maru felt as if he was wrenched into the past by the back of his neck. he saw no memories, but the feeling took him back much farther than that of the memories he could recall in his time as a ghost. it was like he was submerged in a pool of cool nostalgia; again, no memories flashed through his mind, it was simply a feeling.
 
and then there were bright flashes. the kids' camera phones clicked and flashed as they took pictures in the dark.
 
"okay, maru, we're gonna get going now," woo called as he put away howon's file. "you said you'd take care of the rest, right?"
 
"um... yeah. go home. don't leave your photos open and unattended." the ghost blinked out of his trance, the feeling of nostalgia melting away from him promptly. "plan the next meeting amongst yourselves, i'll meet you all then."
 
woo realized that they had no way to contact maru and was about to ask him how, but something about his posture seemed to politely ask him to leave. as the living's footsteps faded away, maru placed everything (including the guards) the way he'd found them, making sure to check that the disabled security had prevented footage of the kids from being recorded. after all this, he floated into the misty bay of hoyang. he spent that night watching the twinkling stars beyond the fog and whispering that oddly familiar name to himself.