Day 4

15 Days

Day 4

 

When Chanyeol woke up, he was still as tired as if he hadn’t closed his eyes at all. His shoulders were aching, as well as his neck. Well, actually all the muscles of his upper body were stiff. He figured out why a second later: he slept in a sitting position on the couch. Not only that, but Baekhyun was there too. The smaller rested his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder, and at some point in the middle of the night, Chanyeol must have wrapped his arm around his sleeping figure. And now this arm felt slightly numb too.

Despite it being a very uncomfortable position to sleep in for a few hours straight, it wasn’t necessarily displeasing. Baekhyun’s silent breathes were warm against his side, and he couldn’t bring himself to wake his stepbrother up. That’s why he stayed like that some time longer. He thought about the evening before, when he found Baekhyun sitting all alone on the couch. He felt sorry for him. Chanyeol had never seen him in such a vulnerable state before.

He was the one who made Baek talk about his dad during lunch. Of course it wasn’t his fault that Baek’s father was an , but it still made him feel bad that Baekhyun was like that.

On top of it, it made him realize that he didn’t know Baekhyun at all.

So Chanyeol was a bit happy too. It was the first time that Baekhyun trusted him enough to show him his weak side.  Sure, he hasn’t told him much about it whatsoever, but he dropped sufficient hints to give Chanyeol a basic idea of what kind of person his father was. It made him realize, just how considerate Baekhyun actually was. The thing of hiding his passion for music was surely because he didn’t want his mom to remember her old lover. He always acted like a happy-go-lucky person, even though his personality was a lot more delicate.

Maybe Chanyeol was a bit dense and most of the time he was not able to empathize with others, but Baekhyun was a person that was much too easy to read for him. Still, he hid that pain in him pretty well all this time. Chanyeol would have never guessed that Baekhyun cared after all about not having a father, if he hadn't watched that old recording of him the night before. 

If Chanyeol was able to make that pain go away, or at least ease it, he would. That was what he decided after looking at Baekhyun’s calm face that morning. 

The tall boy was suddenly interrupted in his thoughts, when loud steps came closer. Right. They had a guest over. Chanyeol almost forgot about Sehun.

Blond hair was lazily hiding the boys forehead, when he entered the living room. He looked at the two stepbrothers on the couch with a slight confused expression before he yawned. “Good morning there.” He said then.

Chanyeol still didn’t know if that guy was Baekhyun’s boyfriend or not, but his reaction to Baekhyun sleeping all cuddled up to Chanyeol was not like that of a jealous boyfriend. So probably they really were just friends after all. The tall boy greeted him with a low “Morning” as well after making that realization. 

Sehun laughed quietly, “Now I know why his snores didn’t wake me up tonight.”

Chanyeol seemed a bit flustered at first, but he didn’t let it show on his face. “We… watched some movies and ended up falling asleep.” He added an awkward laugh, to which Sehun suspiciously raised a brow.

Did Sehun actually know about Baekhyun’s dad? Better not mention anything about it, maybe Baekhyun really tried to keep it a secret. 

“Okay,” Sehun said nonchalantly. Not that he cared why they slept like that. That was something he could mock Baekhyun with no matter what the reason was.

The blond wanted to go back upstairs to get ready for school, when he noticed Baekhyun slowly blinking. That guy must have woken up, but he didn’t move at all. He gave Sehun a surprised look though. The younger smirked, before he quickly turned his attention back to Chanyeol. Before he too found out that Baekhyun was awake, Sehun started to talk. “So…Do you know?”

Chanyeol frowned, “…what?”

“You know,” Sehun continued, but made a short pause in between his words. “That Baekhyun... likes guys?” Sehun thought that Chanyeol had all rights to know it, especially when they slept all cuddled up like that. Baekhyun hadn’t told his stepbrother about it yet, Sehun knew it, because the smaller one widened his eyes in shock, when Sehun finished talking.

Much to their surprise, Chanyeol chuckled. “What of it?”

Sehun soon recovered from his surprise, then grinned. He watched Baekhyun, as he desperately tried to shut his eyes and act as if he’d still be sleeping.

“Nothing,” Sehun answered. “I just thought you should know. But it seems like you already did.” He then walked up to the couch and slightly punched Baekhyun’s arm, “Yah, wake up! We’re running late for school.”

Baekhyun mustered up all his acting skills, when he slowly moved himself away from Chanyeol, then he rubbed his eyes. He had to look like he just woke up.

“Why’re you so annoying?” Baekhyun mumbled and blinked at his blond friend. He turned his head to look at Chanyeol for a second, which was a mistake. A blush was creeping up Baekhyun's neck, so he just let out a quick "Morning". It was more a croak than anything else, but Baekhyun didn't care. Before he could move away from the handsome black haired boy though, Chanyeol grabbed his wrist.

Baekhyun kept still abruptly.

The warmth was now spreading up to his face. It must have been completely red by then, and that smug look on Sehun's face confirmed that. All Baekhyun wanted to do then, was dragging Sehun up to his room and calm down. Or at least to get away from the georgous, tall stepbrother. 

“You’re still up for some guitar lessons today after school?” Chanyeol asked then, some awkward seconds had already passed. 

Baekhyun had to leave the room, because he absolutely didn’t want Chanyeol to see his embarrassed face. That’s why he mumbled the first thing that came to his mind. “Sure.”

“Okay.” Chanyeol agreed, with a smile in his voice. “Great.” He let go of Baekhyun’s hand and the flustered boy was already out of the room a moment later. Chanyeol was totally aware of Baekhyun’s shyness, and he enjoyed every bit of it. It was pure enjoyment for him to have such an effect on someone. 

Sehun sighed. “Don’t toy around with him too much. Please. I'm the one who has to deal with him all day long.”  

Chanyeol only grinned when Sehun was following Baekhyun after that.

---

Literature class.

As always, the two boys didn’t feel the need to pay attention to whatever the teacher was saying. Instead, Baekhyun slumped down and hid his face with his palms. A desperate sigh followed. “I hate you. I ing hate you, Sehun.”  

“Why?” The blond grinned, acting dumb. “What did I do? Just because I’ve had a nice chat with your beloved little stepbrother?”

Baekhyun groaned. “Don’t call him like that.”

“Call him your stepbrother or what? Don’t you like it? I think it’s kinda nice, having the man of your wet dreams always at hand. Literally.”

“Ugh.” Baekhyun closed his eyes. “Sometimes I really want to slap your pretty face just to make you stop talking.” Sehun was used to those words, Baekhyun always talked like that in a playful way. But this time it sounded untypically sincere.  

“Yah, what’s up with you, Baekhyunnie?” Sehun asked, slight concern in his voice. He didn’t intend to make his friend upset. “I’m just teasing you a bit.”  

“I have to live with him in the same house! And you just tell him that I’m gay?”Baekhyun started and ran his fingers through his hair. He hadn’t even brushed it in the morning, because he just wanted to leave the house as fast as possible.

“I told him because you should’ve told him about it much sooner yourself.” Sehun explained himself. “And he knew it anyway!”

“That’s what’s bothering me even more! That guy confuses me to no end.”

Sehun shook his head, “If you continue to be like that I’m going to think that you like him for real. As more than just a friend. Or a brother.

Baekhyun exhaled deeply. He didn’t say anything for a long time, before he clicked his tongue. “You’ve asked me what I’d to if I start to like him, right?”

“You didn’t answer me though.” Sehun said.

“I can’t start to like him for real. You know, if a relationship doesn’t work out you just try to move on without that person. Most of the time you avoid that person at least for some time. But in my case, he’s my ing stepbrother. I wouldn't be able to just ignore him if things don’t work out.”

Sehun rolled his eyes. “You’re a pessimist as always. Can't you assume that you won't break up?”

“I’m just a realist. Also,” Baekhyun started, “Chanyeol’s not into guys. So there’s not even a reason to think about it.”

“You like to lie to yourself, huh?” the blond concluded. "You haven't seen the way he looked at you this morning." 

Baekhyun nodded. “It’s the only thing I can do. If I refuse to believe something, I have to lie to myself.  So don’t make this harder for me than it already is.”

Sehun raised a brow. “Well, I guess you’re right.”

“Good. So let’s not talk about Chanyeol for now, okay?” Baekhyun said then, with a small smile on his lips.

“Alright.” Sehun gave in. “Sorry, Baek.” He didn’t like that serious Baekhyun. And maybe this was more serious than he thought.

“It’s okay.” Baekhyun said.

---

Baekhyun was the first one to come home after school. He was glad, because he still felt embarrassed. Just thinking about Chanyeol made his face go slightly pink.

But the thing that bothered him wasn’t really about Chanyeol knowing about his uality. No.

Baekhyun wasn’t sure why, but he was thinking about his father much more the past few weeks. And it always made him feel weak and depressed. He resented his father so much for leaving them that long ago. That was nothing new though.

But now, that Baekhyun became older, the feelings of hate became greater and greater. There was no longer just hate towards his father, but self-hatred started to nag him. He despised how he started to look just like that monster. He despised that he loved music so much, because he wanted to hate it just as much as he hated his father. Because music was his father’s first and only love.

And the night before, when he watched that recording of his father again, he felt worse than ever.

And that was the moment, Chanyeol entered the living room.

Baekhyun was glad when the tall boy sat down beside him. He felt safe when Chanyeol’s slow breathing was something to distract his ears from hearing his father's voice. Baekhyun was able to relax in Chanyeol’s presence, and it was enough to lull him to something close to sleep. Baekhyun closed his eyes, and without a second thought he rested his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder. He didn’t want to watch his father anymore, he just wanted to concentrate on the being called Chanyeol. Because he stopped him thinking about all the things he hated. 

The tall boy didn’t seem to mind him at all. He just moved a bit, to reach for the remote to turn off the TV, but he was careful to not disturb Baekhyun. The smaller boy was still awake though, he even heard Chanyeol’s quiet voice loud and clear, when he said “Why do you always fall asleep on me? Am I that comfortable?”

Baekhyun was pondering about what that ‘always’ was supposed to mean, when Chanyeol moved his arm around Baekhyun to make himself more comfortable. And at that time, when Baekhyun practically rested his head on Chanyeol’s chest, the faint scent of Chanyeol reached his nose. And that was when he remembered.

Sitting in the dark car of his stepfather. Chanyeol’s face so near, he just had to lean forward an inch to kiss his fine jaw line. Chanyeol’s scent that was just the same as now. And then Chanyeol’s stare was the last thing he was able to remember from that evening. 

Chanyeol didn’t push him away the day before in the car. And Chanyeol didn’t push him away then, when he was cuddled up to him on the couch.

Baekhyun was still awake when Chanyeol had already fallen asleep, when Baekhyun still struggled to calm down his heart and mind.

But the closeness was so nice, and warm, he soon fell asleep too.

 

Baekhyun really got one annoying stepbrother.

When the small boy had just changed from his school uniform into more comfortable clothes, he heard the door open already.

“Baek?” Chanyeol asked loudly. There was something like concern in his voice however, which made Baekhyun quickly run down the stairs. Chanyeol was already waiting for him to come down.  

“Hey,” Baekhyun tried hard to act normal. Chanyeol was not smiling for once and that made him a bit worried. “What’s wrong?”

“Have you talked to your mom since they’ve gone?” Chanyeol asked out of the blue.

Baekhyun thought about it, “Well, she’s phoned me when they were still at the airport. She was annoyingly excited when she finally found out where your dad was taking her. But since then…” Baekhyun shook his head.

“Same here.” Chanyeol said. “I haven’t thought much about it, I just thought they were enjoying their vacation. But on my way home I thought I’d call my dad and check on him. He didn’t pick up.”

Baekhyun was now standing in front of Chanyeol, and he noticed the tall boy’s concerned frown. “Hey, don’t worry. I’m sure they’re just having the time of their life right now. They just totally forgot about us.”

“It’s just-“ Chanyeol started. “I don’t know.”

All of a sudden, a smile spread on Baekhyun’s lips. Chanyeol looked at him with his questioning puppy eyes, when Baekhyun spoke. “There’s a time difference. They’re probably sleeping right now. My mom mentioned something about it. It’s about 6 or 7 hours, I can’t remember. But that means it’s in the middle of the night there.”

Chanyeol finally smiled too, “Right, I haven’t thought about that.”

“Yeah, so don’t worry about them,” Baekhyun said and patted Chanyeol on the shoulder. He was standing on the last step, which made him about the same height as Chanyeol.  “Your dad will call back as soon as he wakes up. And if he doesn’t I’m gonna try call my mom.”

“Okay. Thanks.” Chanyeol nodded, “And sorry for overreacting.”

Baekhyun shook his head. Chanyeol had all reasons to be worried about his dad. He had his mother taken away from him much too soon, and if something would happen to his father now too... He gave Chanyeol a reassuring squeeze on his shoulder and then his caring smile turned into a grin. “So what about my guitar lessons? You’re still up for that?” He wanted to distract the taller one, in order to keep that stupid smile on his face.

No time to be embarrassed about some stupid things right now.

“Sure” Chanyeol beamed.

---

“You’ve really written that song by yourself?”

Chanyeol laughed slightly, “It’s not finished, but I thought I’d let you hear it, since you’re going to be my vocalist.” He rested his chin on his guitar and watched Baekhyun, who seemed overly excited about the song.

“It’s really good, I can’t wait to hear the finished version. But.” Baekhyun raised a brow. “You haven’t even heard me singing that much. I just fooled around last time. How can you be sure that I manage those high notes you’ve dropped here and there?”

“Well, I just know by my musician’s intuition?” Chanyeol laughed, and Baekhyun rolled his eyes, but he smiled too. “And the song’s not about showing some insane vocal skills, anyway. It’s more about conveying a certain feeling…?” Chanyeol explained.

“And you think I can do that?” Baekhyun cocked his head to the side.

“Definitely.”

“Okay, but now let’s get to the fun part. Teach me!” Baekhyun said and stretched out his hands. Chanyeol smiled, then handed him over his precious instrument.

“I know some simple chords from watching, I think…” Baekhyun smiled, because the first harmony seemed to be correct, and the second sounded not half bad too.  

“Wow, you’ve got some talent there,” the taller one laughed, before he picked up his other guitar, on which he showed Baekhyun some more chords. Baekhyun was able to memorize them pretty quickly, but the problem was, he didn’t exactly know what to do with his right hand.

“Why can’t I do that right? It sounds awful.” Baekhyun whined. “How do you do it correctly?”

“There isn’t one right way to play it,” Chanyeol explained, “But for starters, let’s go with some simple up down up strumming. It’s easy, believe me.” Chanyeol smiled, when Baekhyun gave him a doubtful look.

“I’m not sure if I can do that, Chanyeol.”  Baekhyun watched Chanyeol as he demonstrated it. He wanted to copy him, but failed completely. His right hand wasn’t able to move that smoothly as Chanyeol’s.

“First of all,” Chanyeol stood up and put his guitar away, to sit beside Baekhyun on the bed. He then grabbed Baekhyun’s right wrist and shook it a bit. “Don’t be so stiff. Shaking your wrist a bit helps. Think of it as a warm-up before exercise.” He started to knead and massage his wrist a bit, and placed it on the instrument again. He helped Baekhyun find a comfortable spot to rest his elbow on, but that still made it possible to move the hand freely.

And god. Chanyeol was so, so close, and even though he seemed to just concentrate on the instrument, Baekhyun was pretty aware of it. And his thoughts wandered back to the time in the car.

Chanyeol however knew exactly what he was doing to Baekhyun. As soon as he noticed Baekhyun’s breath fasten, he couldn’t stop himself from teasing him even more. He wrapped his slender fingers around Baekhyun’s hand once again and started to move it in an simple up down up pattern. “It’s not that hard, right?” Chanyeol said, his voice low and a grin clearly audible. “Now try to switch chords.”

Baekhyun did as he was told and Chanyeol rested his unused hand on Baekhyun’s back. “Just like that, good.” Baekhyun blushed at those words.

Concentrating on anything but Chanyeol was difficult, but he managed to speak. “I… I think I know how to do it now.”

“You sure?” Chanyeol asked, and when Baekhyun nodded again, Chanyeol smiled and put his hands away, but he was not moving an inch away. “Show me.”

Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun tried it on his own. “You’re a quick learner, Baek.” he said proudly.

The shorter boy looked up from the strings and met Chanyeol’s eyes. His hands stopped moving completely, because as soon as Chanyeol’s eyes flickered to Baek’s lips, his mind went blank.

Baekhyun’s gaze wandered down unknowingly too. Those lips were plush and pink and just asked for a kiss. He noticed that provoking look Chanyeol gave him, as soon as he locked eyes with him again. The tall boy’s expression got more serious than before, but the playfulness still stayed.

Baekhyun might started to like that expression even more than Chanyeol’s charming half-smile.

Chanyeol himself watched his stepbrother intensely as well. Baekhyun’s fluffy brown hair was still a mess, but a cute one. He wanted to touch it, make sure if it really was as soft as it looked like. But what Baekhyun did then, made him go crazy. Baekhyun opened his mouth, so his pink tongue was able to over his bottom lip. A thing that Baekhyun always did when he felt nervous, Chanyeol came to know.  

Chanyeol begun to lean in. Slowly, almost unnoticeable.

And Baekhyun wanted to ask Chanyeol. Ask him what this all was about. The teasing was okay at first, but since Chanyeol knew that Baekhyun liked men, wasn’t he just asking for some kind of response? And now this? Was this just part of his teasing as well? Because it absolutely didn’t feel like it. On second thought though, Chanyeol’s himself was one big tease.

This was going too far. Baekhyun knew it. But that didn’t stop him from awaiting the hot touch of their lips eagerly.  

Then the ringing of Chanyeol’s phone interrupted them.  

Baekhyun sighed, and Chanyeol seemed not too happy about the call either. Stopping midway made them both feel a bit awkward, to the point where Chanyeol just considered to ignore his phone, but then he remembered, that it could be his father. And it was. “Dad, hey.”

Baekhyun watched him throughout the call, since he was still sitting that close to him. When Chanyeol hung up, Chanyeol’s frown deepened.

“They’re fighting.” Chanyeol said. “And it doesn’t sound like a simple lover’s quarrel.”