D -1

15 Days

ChanBaek – Siblings

 

Baekhyun was only 4 years old when his parents split up. His father didn’t want to have anything to do with his Mom or Baekhyun himself. He just disappeared. But Baekhyun would lie if he said that he missed his father in his life. Even little 4 year old Baekhyun didn’t feel that much attachment towards his father. That man was barely home at hole, and all Baekhyun was able to remember of him was the disgusting smell that always lingered on him. Cigarettes and alcohol. Which wouldn’t be that bad, really. But he smelled like something else too. If Baekhyun thinks about it now, was it the sweet perfume of other women? Was the little Baekhyun able to feel somehow, that his father did things he wasn’t supposed to do? Was that the reason why Baekhyun always preferred his mother?

 

If Baekhyun would think a bit more about it, he would maybe really figure out, why he never loved his father. But Baekhyun never wanted to think about it too long. Because it always remembers him of his crying mother. In his memory, she was never smiling much. And she only cried or frowned when she was with his father. Baekhyun was actually thankful, that his father left himself. He was pretty sure his mother would have suffered much longer, because she would have never left him. Was it because she loved him? Who knows. Baekhyun never talked about him with his father.

 

Only once, when he was around 13 or 14 he caught his mom sitting in the living room in the middle of the night. He only wanted to get something to drink from the kitchen, and didn’t expect to see his mother still wide awake, eyes lingering on the TV. She was watching an old VHS, and it was some sort of a concert. The music wasn’t something he was used to hear. It sounded sorrowful and passionate. A piano, the warm sound of a string bass and the calm sounds of drums harmonized so well with the voice of the singer. He was enjoying the sound of it.

 

Baekhyun remembers walking to his mom and sat himself besides her on the couch. His eyes were glued on the TV, but after a while he glanced at her. And he noticed that she was silently crying. He didn’t understand.

 

“Is the music so sad, mom?” he asked her back then.

 

She smiled, a bitter smile and shook her head. She then took Baekhyun in her arms and patted his head. “My Baek, I’m so glad to have you.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t understand her back then. It took him some time to figure out that the singer of that jazz group was his father. He didn’t even recognize his own father. Well, there weren’t any pictures of him. And even if there were, he had never seen any. And his memories of him only consisted of his smell. He only realized that it was his father, because after some time his mother told him to put out the trash, and that’s when he had seen that VHS in the trash can. The VHS his mother was watching. And on the back of it the names of the musicians were listed.

 

Why Baekhyun was thinking about all that now was something he didn’t quite understand himself. Maybe it was, because now, 18 year old Baekhyun was able to see his mother happy again. His mother was dating after all this time. She was finally able to move on. He never believed to see his mother being so happy and smiley all the time. She was in the best mood, joking a lot more and silently singing and humming tunes while doing chores.

 

He was truly glad for her. He always told her that she should move on. She should date and live her life. She often told him, that he was all she needed. She was glad to have her little Baek, and she was happy with just that. But it seemed like she met someone who was able to change her mind and he was really thankful towards that man.

 

That’s why he liked that man, his mother’s boyfriend, from the start. He was a cheerful person, very polite and gentleman-like and he treated his mother how she deserved it.

 

He had seen him quite a lot, and they were dating for some time. And one day his mother was especially happy, telling Baek that they both were invited by her boyfriend for dinner. And that they had something important to tell.

 

Baekhyun wasn’t completely stupid, and already knew what it probably was. Would they marry? That was nice news actually. He couldn’t help smile, as his mom and him made their way to her boyfriend’s house. Of course, even though Baekhyun was glad for his mom, he felt a bit nervous. That meant he had to move in with that man, right? If he remembered correctly, the man said he had a son too. He didn’t know much about him though. He didn’t even know how old he was or which grade he was in. He just knew that his name was supposedly Chanyeol.

 

That’s why he was a bit nervous. Living with someone he didn’t know wasn’t something he looked forward that much. But if he took after his father, even in the slightest, he couldn’t be that bad of a person.

 

However, when they finally reached the house of his mother’s boyfriend, and said person opened the door with a big smile and walked them in, there was no son in sight.

 

“Make yourself at home, dinner will be ready in a minute.” His soon to be stepfather told them, but his mother insisted to follow him to the kitchen to help him cook, leaving Baek alone in the living room/dining room. He looked around. You could tell that there was no woman living here, since there wasn’t much useless decoration; but he still felt comfortable here. The furniture was mostly dark, just like the floor, while the walls were painted in a comfy beige. In the corner left to Baekhyun there stood a sideboard, on top of it there were a lot of books, but he noticed the picture frame standing there as well. He smiled when he realized that it was his mother’s boyfriend, holding a little boy in his arms. So this was his son? Baekhyun slowly walked towards the sideboard to take a closer look at the picture, so he picked it up and as he was looking at the boy, a voice suddenly surprised him.

 

“I was a cute child, right?” Baekhyun quickly looked over his shoulder, before he turned completely and he looked at a really handsome looking boy, and he was much taller than Baekhyun, much to his dismay.

 

“Oh, you must be Chanyeol.” Baekhyun smiled after he realized that, and so did the tall boy in front of him.

 

“And you must be my soon to be brother”, Chanyeol grinned.

 

“So I’m not the only one suspecting what they’re going to tell us?”

 

Chanyeol laughed. “They’re being too obvious.”

 

Beakhyun was surprised to say at least. He didn’t expect that Chanyeol would be around his age. He didn’t exactly know why, but he thought that Chanyeol was going to be a much younger boy. But since he seemed to be a pretty fun guy, it didn’t really matter.

 

“I’m Baekhyun by the way,” he said after he put down the photo back to its place. “And yes, you were a cute child.” Still are. Baekhyun thought and laughed.

 

At that moment Baek’s mother was coming from the kitchen, “Oh Chanyeol, nice to meet you.”

 

“Good evening,” Chanyeol greeted her, and his smile grew wider. Baekhyun didn’t know why, but it made him smile too, and with a smile on everybody’s lips they sat together and had dinner, getting to know each other and getting to know that indeed the both boys were correct: They were going to be brothers from now on.

 

---

 

 

Only about a month later, Baekhyun and his mother were moving in to that house. It was quite spacy, and the room just beside Chanyeol’s was empty anyways, that’s why it was going to be Baekhyuns room from now on. Everything seemed great. The house was nice, his new family was nice, and it couldn’t have been better, Baekhyun thought. There was nothing else he could wish for.

 

And he really got quite friendly with Chanyeol too. But since they didn’t go to the same school, he didn’t see Chanyeol that much, and when they saw each other they were most of the time just playing some video games or talking about random stuff. Baekhyun also found out that Chanyeol was really into music, since there was not only one but two guitars in his room and a huge e-piano as well. Since Baekhyun loved music as well, they talked about that a lot too. They got to know each other. And Baekhyun was still happier than ever. But as if there just had to be something, to destroy that luck. It was never a secret that Baekhyun wasn’t that interested in girls. But until now he was never that interested in guys either. He had a boyfriend, and maybe some flings, but that was it. Well, maybe it was his little secret, since Baekhyun never really told his mom that he was gay, but he was pretty sure that she figured it out anyway.

 

But Chanyeol was pretty handsome; there was no reason to lie about that either. At first Baekhyun didn’t really think much about it. Of course he liked to look at a pretty face. That’s why when he first started to notice that he looks a bit differently at Chanyeol, he didn’t think much of it at first. It was just his eyes appreciating Chanyeol’s good looks. From his height, to his dark but still bright eyes… They reminded Baek of a cute looking puppy. And he loved puppies.

 

But even better than his eyes was the ever present smile on the boy’s full lips. They sometimes made Baek a bit confused. Would they taste as good as they looked? And were they really so soft? He was curious about it. But that was it. Baekhyun knew that was all there was to it. Simple body appreciation. It’s not like he didn’t do that with his friends too. For example Sehun’s when he wore the school uniform looked really fine, there was no denying that.

 

He didn’t think too much about it, knowing that it would be better that way. But one day, about a month after the marriage and after they moved in, his mother was telling him and Chanyeol over breakfast that she was really excited, because Chan’s father decided that they should go on their honeymoon.

 

“That’s cool,” Baekhyun commented with a small smile.

 

Chanyeol was munching on his toast while he asked, “Where are you going?”

 

“I don’t know, your father wants it to be a surprise for me”, she grinned from ear to ear as she talked about it, and Baekhyun was once again glad that his mother was able to be so happy now. “I just know that the flight is tomorrow evening.”

 

“Already?” Baek asked and raised his eyebrows.

 

“It’s a bit sudden, I know. That’s why I’m telling you now… You can take care of yourself, right? We’ll be back in two weeks” She looked from her own son, to Chanyeol, and back. The two boys nodded.

 

“You raised Baek well, right? He’s going to take good care of me. Right, Hyung?” he grinned.

 

Baekhyun didn’t know if he was imagining it, but that sounded quite suggestive. Wait. Stop. Of course Baekhyun was only imagining it. For all he knew, Chanyeol was pretty much straight. Well, actually they never talked about it. But Baekhyun just concluded it. Chan was good looking, and with his outgoing personality he was sure that Chanyeol was pretty popular with girls. And second of all, he wouldn’t say such things when his mother was present, right? Even if he meant them.

 

“Of course he will”, his mother answered with a laugh, unaware of Baekhyun’s thoughts.

 

“Yeah, of course.” Baekhyun cleared his throat before he talked and avoided Chanyeol’s eyes. Two weeks with Chanyeol. Alone.