Chapter 21

The (Expensive) Cure to a Broken Heart

 

Jinki’s eyes widened and his heart missed a beat. He stayed silent. He felt speechless at the moment. He couldn’t say anything, not yet. He wasn’t ready… With all of his fears and worries clouding his judgement, how could he ?

 

He knew he felt the same way, but he was afraid to say it out loud.

 

Kibum’s body started shaking slightly, his face was hidden but Jinki could still hear a sob. Kibum was crying.

 

All of the anger he had felt a few minutes ago suddenly faded away, annihilated by Kibum’s tears.

 

“Kibum…” He said gently, the other’s hair. “Kibum, look at me.”

 

“No ! I... It’s so complicated !”

 

Kibum finally looked up and Jinki felt a pang in the heart upon seeing Kibum’s wet cheeks. He had made him cry… Jinki felt guilt settle in his stomach and he cursed himself for making Kibum cry like this.

 

“I bet you’re mad at me… because I… with Woohyun !” He said inbetween sobs. “But he… I had to accept because he would have put an end to my career with a snap of his fingers and- and even if I did think about quitting I was still afraid…”

 

Jinki said nothing, he just kept Kibum’s hair while the other got everything off his chest in one breath.

 

Jinki would have lied if he said he hadn’t expected for something like this to happen. Kibum was an , it was his job. He had known it from the beginning… and yet, it hadn’t stopped him from feeling hurt and even betrayed when he had seen him in Woohyun’s arms. But still… how could he even be mad at him now, seeing him like this ?

 

“...And I would probably have stopped, I would have if you had told me we were together but I needed to be sure and you didn’t call even though you promised and I had no way of reaching you and then Woohyun called and I had no choice, and Jinki, I’m so sorry-”

 

“Shhh.”

 

He took Kibum in his arms and pulled him up so he could sit on his lap. He needed to take him in his arms. He needed to press him closer, to whisper sweet nothings in his ears until he stopped crying.

 

“And no matter what I do… I can’t.” The younger said in a whisper. “I don’t deserve you.”

 

Jinki froze and pulled away from Kibum to look at him. He almost wasn’t crying anymore, but a couple of tears were still running down his cheeks. Had he really said that… ? He really thought he didn’t deserve him ?

 

“What ?” Jinki whispers, incredulous. “Kibum, how could you think something like that ? I mean look at you... You’re…”

 

Perfect. Beautiful, smart, unique, adorable.

 

Jinki couldn’t understand how someone as flawless as Kibum could think he didn’t deserve someone like Jinki.

 

“And look at me…” He said, chuckling. “The only thing I have for myself is my bank account.”

 

Kibum’s expression shifted from sad to shocked and somewhat offended.

 

“How can you say that ? Jinki, that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard ! You think I like you for your money ? Seriously ? I spend my days with rich people… Money is the most common thing in the whole world ! Why would I look for someone with money ? It’s the last thing I want ! Is that why you didn’t call ? Because you thought I loved you for your money ?”

 

He couldn’t deny that the thought had crossed his mind a few times, but now that Kibum was saying it out loud, it indeed sounded ridiculous.

 

“I… I’ve just been tricked that way before. I used to love someone with everything I had, and that someone made me believe she was feeling the same. For years.”

 

“That’s what Woohyun was talking about…” Kibum said gently. It wasn’t a question in any way, but Jinki still answered.

 

“Yes. Being betrayed like that by the only person I ever truly loved… It hurt.”

 

It was like his heart had been ripped out of his chest.

 

“I would never do that.” Kibum said, taking Jinki’s head in his hands.

 

“I know… I know, but… it’s as if there was that little voice in my head that keeps saying ‘what if ?’ every time I even think about getting close to someone. And for a few days, those doubts faded but they all suddenly came back and… Tonight, the way you acted with Woohyun…”

 

He had seen the subtle but still noticeable shift in his expression and behavior, as if someone had switched something on. It had been so easy for Key to make Woohyun believe what he wanted to believe… Jinki’s doubts had gone haywire when he had seen it. Could Kibum have done this to Jinki too ? Could he have made him believe he loved him ?

 

“That’s all it was. An act. That’s the way I am with all my customers. The confident, attractive Key.”

 

“How can I know you’re not acting right now ? With me ?”

 

“I’ve never been like this with you. I’ve never acted.” Kibum said softly, with teary eyes. “With you, I’ve always been Kibum.”

 

They looked in each other’s eyes and in Kibum’s, Jinki could only see genuine honesty. No matter how strong Jinki’s fears were, they still weren’t enough to make him doubt Kibum’s sincerity. Something told him that it might have been because deep down, Jinki wanted to believe him. He wanted to love without having to fear that his lover would stab him in the back. He was tired of avoiding people, tired of being afraid. He wanted Kibum, and that was stronger than anything else.

 

“You and me… What are we, exactly ?” Kibum asked, after a couple of minutes of silence. “We’re close but are we… dating ?”

 

To be honest, Jinki hadn’t really thought about it before.

 

“I know you’re afraid to commit… but we obviously have feelings for each other and you can trust me. Whoever the girl was who broke your heart, I’m not her. I would never do that to you.”

 

Jinki just looked into Kibum’s feline brown eyes. He needed to take a couple minutes to think about it. Was he really ready to start a serious relationship, after all this time ? He knew Kibum wasn’t Yeeun, it was obvious. They were so different ! Kibum was blunt, he always spoke up his mind, whether it was about himself or others. He could pass as intimidating or even arrogant to some people, but under those designer clothes hid a very big heart. Yeeun had been nothing but lies. She had been so shy towards Jinki, she had always avoided everyone. But now that he had opened his eyes, he could see how much she had deceited him. Her so-called kind and shy personality had in fact hidden her corrupted and evil nature. He once believed the fact that she avoided his employees to be shyness, but she actually did so because she despised people. She had always despised the weak and the poor, and Jinki could now see that her heart was actually as cold as stone. He had been too blind to see, but he wasn’t anymore. Kibum was the opposite, with a colorful but blunt personality which hid a pure heart. He was beautiful, inside and out. The most perfect human being Jinki had ever met.

 

The door opened and they saw Minho sneak in.

 

“Woohyun’s looking for Key. He needs to go now, before he finds out where he’s been.”

 

Kibum stood up to leave but Jinki grabbed his wrist.

 

“Don’t go back to him.”

 

If he closed his eyes, he could still see it. Woohyun’s hands on his body, the hickeys on Kibum’s milky skin… The idea that someone else could touch Kibum was making him sick.

 

Key smiled sadly.

 

“I have to go…”

 

“No !” Jinki shouted, before saying in a softer voice. “Please…”

 

“If I don’t go-”

 

“It makes me sick.” Jinki admitted, looking down.

 

He had to tell him… Jinki wasn’t the type to talk openly about his feelings but for once, he needed to say it. He didn’t exactly know why, but he felt he had to tell the truth.

 

“...What ?”

 

“It makes me sick to know that someone else could touch you that way, could kiss you, could…”

 

Make love to you.

 

“Please.” Jinki begged. “Don’t do this.”

 

He felt Kibum come closer and the younger raised Jinki’s head so they could look at each other in the eyes. He bent a little to peck his lips.

 

“No matter what others do with my body… My heart is yours.”

 

He was about to leave again but Jinki refused to let go.

 

“Is it selfish of me to say that I want all of you ?”

 

Kibum smiled a little at that.

 

“No. But if you want me to stop being an , you’ll have to tell me whether we’re together or not, because as soon as I’ll say no to Woohyun he’s probably going to start threatening all of my customers one by one to get revenge.”

 

Jinki grabbed his hand silently and Minho spoke up.

 

“I don’t want to be annoying and tell you to hurry up but Taemin is distracting Woohyun again and I don’t really like the idea of him being alone with that .”

 

He understood Minho’s complain, he feared the same thing for Kibum. He knew what Woohyun was capable of.

 

“I need an answer now, Jinki.”

 

Jinki looked up to Kibum and took both of his hands in his. He couldn’t help the fearful feeling when he had to answer. What if things changed after they got together ? What if Kibum’s feelings changed, and he realized he didn’t love Jinki that much after all ?

 

There were so many fears in Jinki’s head, but he only needed to think about the gloomy and dull life he had been living before he met Kibum to convince him. Kibum had brought colors into his black and white life. Jinki would have been stupid not to notice how happier he felt when Kibum was around. It was obvious, but until now he had refused to admit it to himself.

 

He was deeply in love with Kibum.

 

That was the one thing he had no doubts about.

 

“Dinner at my place, tomorrow night ?”

 

Kibum looked a little confused at first, but his lips quickly curved up into a cute smile when he understood what Jinki meant.

 

“It’s a date ?”

 

“Isn’t that what people do when they’re together ?”

 

Kibum’s smile widened and Jinki couldn’t help but smile back.

 

“I’ll be there.”

 

“I really don’t want to be annoying but…” Minho trailed off.

 

Kibum bent down to kiss Jinki and the older squeezed his hand.

 

“Don’t let him touch you.”

 

He didn’t need to say who; they both knew who he was referring to.

 

“He won’t. I’ll get my things and give him his money back. He can do what he wants, I don’t want to be an anyway.”

 

Jinki frowned, worried. Woohyun certainly wouldn’t like to be said no and Jinki was afraid he’d take his anger out on Kibum.

 

“Someone should go with you, it’s-”

 

“Jinki, I can handle it myself. I’m a grown man, don’t worry about me.” Kibum said with a reassuring smile.

 

“It’s only natural to worry about his boyfriend.”

 

He felt all gooey inside upon saying that word. Kibum was his boyfriend.

 

His thoughts were so cheesy right now, he was thankful Jonghyun and Taemin weren’t around to make fun of him.

 

“Everything will be alright.”

 

They kissed one last time before Key finally left the room, followed by Minho. Jinki just stared as he walked away, worried but a little happy as well.

 

………………………..

 

They both walked in the hotel room and Kibum rushed to the bathroom of the suite to get his things.

 

“Can I know why you’re acting so cold all of a sudden ?” Woohyun snapped from the bedroom.

 

Key stayed silent and rolled his eyes. He had had to spend the whole night avoiding him and that hadn’t been a piece of cake. He had barely talked to him and had tried to push Woohyun away every time he got a little too clingy. He was relieved that the party was over but he had to go, and he bet Woohyun wouldn’t take the news very well… But he had no way of avoiding that.

 

When he got back to the bedroom, Woohyun was sitting on the bed, untying his bowtie.

 

“You know what ? I’m feeling merciful tonight. I’ll forget about you giving me the cold shoulder… if you make up for it.”

 

His eyes looked Key up and down and the other had to keep himself from rolling his eyes once again. He was ing his shirt when Key grabbed his clothes and put them in his bag.

 

“What do you think you’re doing ?”

 

“Leaving.”

 

“I paid you for a week.” He said coldly.

 

Key grabbed some of the money Woohyun had given him from his bag and put it on the drawer. He had spent two days with him, there was no way he was leaving without getting paid so he was just giving back the amount of money for the next five days.

 

“Which is why I’m giving you your money back.”

 

“I don’t want my money back.”

 

“Take it as a bonus then.”

 

Key grabbed his bag and went for the door when Woohyun grabbed his wrist.

 

“You’re not going anywhere.”

 

Woohyun looked pissed now and Key sighed. Under his tough looks, Woohyun was nothing but a spoilt child who didn’t like being said no. It was the main problem with every one of Key’s customers, they all thought they could do everything and the others had to bow before them. Key might have tolerated it before when he still needed his clientele, but he had no reason to put up with it now.

 

“I do what I want.”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

Woohyun pinned him against the wall and Key whined, letting go of his bag.

 

“I know all of your customers. I could make a few phonecalls…

 

“Go ahead. I don’t care.”

 

Woohyun looked a bit surprised and laughed.

 

“You do realize that I might tell them not to hire you anymore ? And they will, if I ask them to.”

 

“I know. But I don’t care. Call them all if you want.”

 

“Oh ?” He said, raising an eyebrow. “What ? You’re tiring of sleeping with all of those erts ?”

 

Key rolled his eyes.

 

“I see you’re not included in this category.”

 

“I don’t really like to be compared to others… I’m above them, after all.”

 

“Of course…” Kibum said, sarcastically.

 

“But tell me one thing… How are you going to live without customers ? An high maintenance like you, living a normal life ? You have no diplomas or professional experience, how are you going to get a job ?”

 

Key froze.

 

“How do you-”

 

“You really think I’d hire someone without knowing who he is ? Honestly, I thought you were smarter than that, Kim Kibum.”

 

“Don’t call me that !”

 

None of his customers called him by his real names. In fact, no one even knew his real name; he had to stay anonymous in some sort of way to protect his private life.

But this was Woohyun they were talking about… He should have known he had done some researches.

 

“Oh ? But that’s your name though, isn’t it ?”

 

“Stop it.”

 

Woohyun smiled and pressed himself against Key.

 

“I know how hard life can get when you don’t have a job… If you don’t want to sleep with your customers, then I have a proposition to make…”

 

“I’m not interested.”

 

“I didn’t even explain what the proposition is ! You could be mine. I mean… only mine. You wouldn’t need to be an anymore, you could do what you want to do. I’d buy you pretty things, everything you’d want would be yours. No more work, no more sleeping around with strangers.”

 

“Except you.”

 

“Me ?” He said, faking to be offended. “But I’m not a stranger !”

 

Key had enough and pushed Woohyun away, picking up his bag.

 

“Sorry, I’m still not interested.”

 

“Does it have something to do with Jinki ?”

 

Key froze, his hand on the doorknob, and Woohyun smirked knowingly.

 

“It does have something to do with Jinki !”

 

He walked closer but Key kept his eyes fixed on the door.

 

“Do you love him ?”

 

Key didn’t answer and Woohyun laughed, but anyone could see how humorless his laugh was. His voice was shaking with anger.

 

“Falling in love with a customer, huh ? Pathetic. And you’re just going to give up on your job because he asked you to ? I never thought you could be that submissive...”

 

Key knew Jinki was the main factor that made him quit his job, but if he did, it was only because he has no wish of being anymore. The situation had changed, he didn’t like seducing people and following them everywhere anymore. Jinki had surely triggered it, but it wasn’t any less Kibum’s choice. Nobody told him what to do.

 

“It was my decision.”

 

Woohyun smirked.

 

“You still could have found someone better…”

 

“You mean, someone like you ?” Key said, rolling his eyes.

 

“I meant someone with legs, but yes, I belong to that category.”

 

Key glared at him.

 

“Oh come on, don’t look at me like that… You know he’ll never be able to satisfy you completely. But I, on the other hand,…”

 

“You can say whatever you want, it won’t change anything. Find yourself another , I’m done.”

 

“The others bore me… It’s you I want.”

 

He walked closer and took Key in his arms before pressing his lips against his suddenly. Key pushed him away and slapped him, before walking away. Woohyun touched his red cheek and started laughing.

 

“So feisty… That’s one of the things I like about you.”

 

“You disgust me.” Key said coldly. “You always have.”

 

He grabbed his bag and hurriedly left the room. Woohyun followed him in the corridor.

 

“I don’t think that’s true !” He yelled, but Kibum didn’t turn around. “It’s not over, you hear me ? You’ll come back to me !”

 

Kibum rolled his eyes before walking away from the other man for good.

 

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

Hi everyone ! :D

 

I am so sorry for the late update... I'm a terrible person (;-;) I haven't updated in so long !
Next chapter will probably be up this week ! It's getting closer and closer to the end guys ! Only 2 chapters left !
 

I posted a new onkey fic, if you'd like to check it out click here: Rivalry (there'll be 5 chapters in total, hot onkey ahead)
If you want to see Onew from Rock of Ages and Kibum dancing and compete for people's attention, I think you'll like it ~

 

Did I mention I loved my beta-reader ? Minewnnie ♥
Btw, if any of you like Wookey I'd recommend you check her fics out because she started posting a Wookey fic ~

 

Can I still have a comment from you guys even though I haven't updated in so long ? ♥ (;-;)