Chapter 20

The (Expensive) Cure to a Broken Heart

 

Two weeks.

 

Two weeks and no news from Jinki. Kibum hadn’t received any calls or text messages, and he was starting to worry.

 

Did he write the right number ? Of course he had written the right number, he knew his own phone number ! He hadn’t written it wrong either, he had checked.

 

So… had something happened to Jinki ? He felt a pang of fear in his heart at the idea, but he quickly reassured himself. Taemin knew how much Jinki meant to him, and he would have warned him if anything had happened.

 

So… why ?

 

Jinki...

 

For a split second, he told himself that Jinki was just a customer like any other, that he was just someone who wanted him for his body… But the idea disappeared almost at the same time as it appeared.

 

Jinki had feelings for him, even if he had never told him out loud. Kibum might have had doubts at first, but not anymore. He had always been good at reading people and for him, there wasn’t any room for doubts. Only people with low self-esteem had doubts, and Kibum had always been pretty confident.

 

He was lying in his bed on his side, turned towards his bedside table as his eyes stared at his cellphone charging on it, as if he was waiting for a text he could receive any minute now. He didn’t know why Jinki hadn’t called, but he told himself he must have had his reasons, even if it hurt a bit.

 

In the meantime, life went on, and Kibum had to work.

 

He had refused most of the job propositions he had received since his last stay at Jinki’s, only accepting those where he didn’t have to sleep with customers. There weren’t many propositions like that - only two in these past two weeks -, but he thanked the heavens there were still a few people who didn’t hire him for . He really needed money these days… His car had broken down a few days ago and the cost of the repairs was astronomical, almost as expensive as the car itself. His mechanic had said it would be better to buy a new car but he was too attached to his car to give up on it. It was his grandma’s old car, it was old but still working (well… it would work again after the mechanic fixed everything there was to fix). It was a little funny. Compared to everything he owned, that car was at the same time his most and less valuable good. His grandma hadn’t bought that car for a high price (it was far from being an expensive car model) but it held a priceless emotional value to Kibum.

 

He bit on his lip as he stared at his phone. He should have asked for Jinki’s number… At least he could have called without waiting for the other to call him. Kibum looked away from his phone and shook his head to stop thinking about it. He should stop worrying.

 

Jinki had promised.

 

It meant that he would call sooner or later.

 

He sighed. He would have liked it to be sooner rather than later. He had really wanted to talk to Jinki these past few days. Not because he missed him (although he did miss him and he longed to hear Jinki’s voice again), but because it was about time they had a heart-to-heart conversation. Kibum wasn’t a fool. He had noticed how his interest in his work was slowly going downhill day after day, and he knew it had something to do with Jinki. However, he wasn’t ready to quit his job without knowing what he exactly was to Jinki. Were they... dating ? They never went on a proper date, but they both had feelings for each other...

 

He might have loved Jinki, but he wouldn’t give up on his job and change his whole life without some sort of confirmation. He wasn’t one to leave everything behind on the spur of the moment, he needed to be sure.

 

He heard a ringtone coming from his coffee table and his heart felt heavy knowing it wasn’t coming from his personal phone. He reluctantly got up from his bed to answer the call.

 

“Yes ?”

 

He wasn’t in the mood to answer flirtingly.

 

“Hello, Key.”

 

His whole body froze when he heard the voice at the end of the line.

 

You gotta be kidding me.

 

Right when he was slowly losing interest in his job did the worst customer of them all call him.

 

And this was the only one he couldn’t refuse.

 

…………………………..

 

Minho was dressed in his most expensive chic suit, standing by the buffet while Taemin filled his plate with all of the food he could find. He fought back a laugh at the disapproving looks those old rich people were giving his boyfriend. The younger had a chicken thigh in his mouth and his plate was so full Minho was wondering how he still managed not to drop anything.

 

Jinki was soon to join them.

 

“So ?” Minho asked.

 

“I had to move around the building to avoid her, she’s probably still looking for me.”

 

One of the waiters walked past them and Minho grabbed two glasses of champagne standing on a tray held he was holding. He gave one to Jinki and took a sip of his own glass.

 

“You can’t avoid her all night.”

 

“I’ll still try.” He said, taking a sip.

 

Minho smiled. He knew how horrible his aunt was and if he had been in Jinki’s place, he would probably have done the same thing.

 

“Taemin seems to have fun.” Jinki said.

 

Minho glanced at his boyfriend, who was now talking to a young woman dressed in a weird dress. Probably a designer.

 

“He lives for this kind of parties.” Minho said.

 

“At least one of us is having a good time.”

 

Jinki stared at the rest of the guests, a detached look in his eyes, and Minho frowned. Jonghyun had told him what happened with Key but they still didn’t get why Jinki had gone back to his usual depressed state. He wasn’t smiling anymore and spent most of his time staring at his phone with a sad look in his eyes. Minho knew it had to be connected with his aunt’s visit somehow, but Jinki wouldn’t say a word and it was impossible to make him spill the beans. That old witch must have said something bad.

 

“Oh no.”

 

Jinki’s eyes were looking tiredly at the door and Minho followed his look. Jinki’s aunt was standing by the door, next to a young woman with brown hair; both looking around the crowd as they searched for Jinki.

 

“I’ll go the other way. See you later.” Jinki said.

 

Minho nodded and Jinki put his empty glass back on the table before leaving towards the opposite of the door and his aunt.

 

People suddenly stopped talking, only to start whispering right after, and Minho walked closer to the front door with a frown to get a look. He heaved a tired sigh when he was met with a familiar face. He hadn’t expected to see Woohyun in a while (and he certainly had hoped he wouldn’t come back for a long time). From what he had heard, he had left to go to the United States about six months ago.

 

The man walked to the buffet and turned to Minho with a smirk when he saw him.

 

“Ah ! Choi Minho ! It’s been a while.”

 

“Woohyun.”

 

“You’re as talkative as ever, I see.”

 

Minho stayed silent. Nam Woohyun was nothing but a filthy snake. He came from one of the wealthiest families and was very powerful. He had a huge influence on people from the upper class - including famous politicians - and seemed to know everyone’s darkest secrets. Which was one of the reasons why nobody dared go against him. Everyone let him have his way for fear of him revealing their secrets.

 

“I don’t know about you, but I’m rather glad to be here for the auction. There are many pretty things… to be auctioned.”

 

Woohyun’s eyes were staring at something behind Minho and when he looked over his shoulder, he noticed Taemin. Woohyun’s eyes were staring him up and down rather insistently. Minho clenched his fists and immediately blocked Woohyun’s view. Taemin looked up at him questioningly - clueless about the situation -, but Minho kept glaring at Woohyun. He wouldn’t let that filthy lay a hand on his boyfriend.

 

“Oh, you came with someone ?” Woohyun asked excitedly.

 

He tried to get closer but Minho stopped him.

 

“I see… You got possessive when I was away.” He said with a smile. “I get it, you know. I’m the same. As a matter of fact, I came with someone too.”

 

Minho already knew who he was about to introduce. Woohyun had that habit of bringing young women or men to parties, especially a tall blond girl a bit younger than him. Rumors said they were all escorts, and truthfully Minho wouldn’t have been surprised if they were. Minho pitied them, he knew Woohyun was not the gentle type and he was very much enjoying displaying them, most of the time making them wear racy outfits revealing their bruised and hickey-covered skins. Of course, nobody said anything, and everyone just stared at Woohyun with shocked and disapproving looks, and at his dates with pity.

 

He was still wondering which poor soul had Woohyun decided to bring this time, when his eyes fell on Key. He was walking towards them, smiling wide, his face held high in an arrogant manner as if he was overjoyed to attend the party and Minho had to admit the act most likely looked convincing to most people. Only Minho had seen him as he really was - the simple Kim Kibum, the Kibum in love with Jinki - and the act looked so fake to him it made him cringe.

 

Key’s eyes fell on Minho and his smile suddenly faded. The mask had dropped.

 

When he was close enough, Woohyun wrapped an arm around his waist and rested his hand on his hips possessively, pressing Key against him.

 

“Minho, this is Key. I don’t usually bring him to this type of parties - I like to keep him for myself - but…” He trailed off, slowly Key’s cheek. “I missed him so much I wanted to give him a gift.”

 

Key was keeping a straight face but even Minho could see how stiff he was. He was wearing a black tuxedo with no shirt underneath the vest and people had to be blind not to notice the hickeys around his neck and collarbones. Minho clenched his fists and was about to make a move when Taemin grabbed his arm. He walked in front of Minho and looked at Woohyun with a huge smile.

 

“I don’t think we’ve been introduced.”

 

“I would have remembered…” Woohyun said with a smirk.

 

“We could take a walk about the terrace to get to know each other better ?”

 

Minho sent Taemin an alarmed look but the younger discreetly squeezed his hand to reassure him. He knew what Taemin meant. I distract Woohyun, you talk to Key. But he couldn’t help hating the idea of his boyfriend alone with that snake.

 

Woohyun glanced at Minho and his lips curved up in a satisfied smile when he noticed his angry look. Apparently, he still liked getting Minho angry.

 

“It would be my pleasure.” Woohyun said, letting go of Key to grab Taemin’s arm.

 

They slowly walked away and when they were out of sight, Minho walked closer to Key. When they were gone, the sighed.

 

“Woohyun ? Really ?”

 

“I had no choice. You know him, you know what he can do…”

 

Oh, Minho did know.

 

He put his hands on each side of Key’s neck to see the damage. He didn’t even want to imagine what Woohyun had done to other parts of his body. He had grown used to seeing Woohyun’s partners in the same state - or worse -, but he had always ignored them. However, seeing someone he knew like that was making his stomach churn.

 

“Are you okay ?”

 

Key pushed him away gently, a small smile on his lips.

 

“I’m alright, Minho. I’m used to dealing with him.”

 

“Jinki is here. If he sees you like this…”

 

He wouldn’t even dare imagine what Jinki would do to Woohyun if he saw Key like this. Jinki might have looked harmless or too kind to even hurt a fly, but he still could beat up someone pretty bad if he was provoked. It didn’t happen often, but Minho felt like it could very much happen today if he saw Key like this… And a confrontation with Woohyun was the last thing they wanted.

 

“Jinki’s here ?” Key asked with wide eyes. “Is he alright ?”

 

“Of course he’s alright ! You should be worrying about yourself !”

 

“He promised to call but he never did, I was afraid something happened to him…”

 

So the problem was Jinki. Something must have happened the day his aunt came to visit, but they had no way of knowing what it was. Minho suspected that old witch had brought back memories Jinki would have liked to forget.

 

“Do you know why he hasn’t called ?” Key asked when he noticed the look on Minho’s face.

 

“Let’s say I have an idea, but I’m not sure.”

 

“Kibum… ?”

 

Minho and Key both froze before turning to Jinki, who was staring at them, confused.

 

Oh no...

 

Minho and Key shared a look and they both seemed to have the same thought. They needed to keep Woohyun and Jinki as far away from each other as possible.

 

Jinki moved closer and took Kibum’s hand in his. He squeezed it before intertwining their fingers and Kibum’s eyes softened, his body relaxing at the touch. Their feelings for each other were so obvious that, even in the current situation, Minho smiled.

 

Jinki’s eyes fell from Kibum’s eyes to his neck and his expression suddenly changed. The look in his eyes grew cold and his whole body stiffened. Minho gulped. He had seen that look before. Jinki understood.

 

“Who did this to you ?” He asked, his jaw clenched.

 

“Jinki…” Kibum said.

 

Who ?”


 

“Jinki !” called a voice unfortunately way too familiar.

 

Kibum froze and tried to free himself of Jinki’s hand, but the older had no intention of letting go. Key’s reaction was already an answer in itself, but when Woohyun walked to him and embraced him from behind - his hands on his hips -, Jinki had the confirmation.

 

Minho unconsciously held his breath, the tension in the air so thick everyone seemed to be suffocating. He had noticed how the crowd had turned their heads towards the scene and he was beginning to feel ill-at-ease. Taemin took his hand in his and squeezed it.

 

Jinki’s eyes were fixed on Woohyun, his expression unreadable. He seemed calm on the outside, but Minho knew he was probably boiling inside. Jinki’s silence was terrifying, and his eyes could glare at someone in a way that brought shivers down Minho’s spine.

 

“It’s been a wh- Oh.

 

Woohyun’s eyes fell on Jinki and Kibum’s intertwined fingers and Woohyun chuckled humorlessly. His laugh was cold, almost threatening. Key quickly freed himself from Jinki’s grasp, but it was too late. Woohyun’s eyes went from one to the other before saying warningly:

 

“Jinki, I don’t want to be rude but… Keep your hands off. I hate it when people touch my things.”

 

Key was desperately trying to keep his eyes off the two men. He was stuck between them as Woohyun held him firmly in place. Jinki’s hands clenched his wheelchair’s armrests and Woohyun raised an eyebrow, seemingly amused at his reaction. He wrapped his arms around Key’s waist to pull him closer which only made Jinki glare more.

 

“Let him go.” Jinki demanded. “He’s not your thing.”

 

“No, no, no…” Woohyun said, sharking his head with a smile. “You see, I paid him for a week, meaning he’s mine for a while.”

 

Minho thought he ought to do something, since the conversation was taking a dangerous turn and Jinki seemed very angry.

 

“Jinki-” He started.

 

“Shut up, Choi. It’s between me and Jinki.”

 

Woohyun was obviously enjoying seeing Jinki raging.

 

“I’d like to know something though… You obviously know each other and I have to say I’m a bit surprised. To be honest, I thought you were into girls, Jinki ! But hey, I’m not blaming you for switching to boys… Everyone would have if their fiancée had been banging one of their employees and had run away with half of their fortune.”

 

Woohyun started laughing and Jinki reminded perfectly calm on the outside, but his jaw was clenched. Key was keeping a straight face but Minho knew he was obviously listening to the whole thing, like everyone near them.

 

“I don’t really get it though… I mean you couldn’t satisfy one woman, what makes you think it would be different with boys ? Obviously, something’s wrong with you. Why don’t you spare other humans beings the pain of seeing you try to attempt something in bed when half of your body isn’t even working ? Oh… If that why you hired someone ? Because nobody wanted to see you embarrassing yourself ?”

 

Jinki was used to all of Woohyun’s attempts at provoking him and he never cared about it enough to talk back before, but this time, Key was involved.

 

“Shut it.”

 

“Jinki, Jinki, Jinki… Even when you’re mad you stay polite.” Woohyun said, faking to be impressed. “But I have to say I’m a bit surprised to see you react like this today… You’re usually ignoring me but now… it almost looks like you’re jealous.”

 

Woohyun faked a sympathetic look and Minho gulped.

 

“Liking a ? Really ?”

 

“Don’t call him that.”

 

“I call him as I please.”

 

Jinki was on the edge of breaking when Key turned around to face Woohyun. His expression had changed completely. The mask was back in place and his body language screamed arrogant and seductive.

 

He was the only one who could stop things from getting ugly and he knew it.

 

“We should go…” He murmured in Woohyun’s ear, his hands running over his chest. “Let’s not ruin this night by arguing with guests…”

 

Woohyun smirked, his hands running down Key’s back until they landed on his . Minho saw Jinki stiffen.

 

“But I’m having so much fun…” Woohyun said.

 

“We can have fun another way…”

 

Woohyun glanced over Key’s shoulder to look at Jinki and smirked. He was about to say something when a woman called him.

 

“Woohyun !”

 

He closed his eyes and groaned.

 

“Don’t go far.” He murmured in Key’s ear.

 

He let go and reluctantly walked to the woman who called him. She was talking with a group of men in suit and she grabbed Woohyun’s arm when he was close enough. Minho vaguely recognized her as a member of Woohyun’s family and thanked her for keeping Woohyun busy for a few minutes.

 

“We need to talk.” Key said softly. “There’s too many people here, come with me.”

 

Jinki stayed rooted in place for a couple of seconds, but he eventually followed Key out of the main room. Minho feared this would have negative effects on their relationship.

 

……………………….

 

They were both facing each other. Kibum was nibbling on his lower lip nervously and Jinki was silent. He could still feel his blood boil thinking about the possessive way Woohyun had taken Key in his arms - as if he owned him -, about the hickeys on Kibum’s soft skin… He couldn’t stop thinking about what Woohyun had done to him and it made him sick.

 

“Jinki… Say something, please.”

 

He looked down, still silent. He was feeling so mad right now he didn’t trust what he would say if he opened his mouth. His heart felt heavy with a bunch of feelings he would have liked never to feel… Hatred, jealousy, hurt...

 

“I’ll do the talking then.”

 

Kibum kneeled before Jinki, hoping the other would meet his eyes, and rested his arms and head on Jinki’s lap.

 

“I love you.”

 
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
 
Hi everyone ! :D
 
As promised, an early update to make up for the ones I was late posting ! I hope you'll like it ~
 
Drama is definitely happening ! You guys all hated Jinki's aunt, well I bet you feel just the same about Woohyun...
Sorry about the cliffhanger but hey, I'm not making it on purpose ! (I don't know why I kept making those with this fic...)
 
I haven't talked about the fics I've posted lately but I posted a few things:
If you're interested, I wrote new onkey stuff: Of Songs and Crooked Bowties and Real.
And if you like Taekey, I've been writing a fic called First Crush.
Check them out if you dare ~ (links on the fic titles)
 
This fic is ending soon, so I'll probably start posting a new onkey chaptered fic in a week or two. ~
(Not sure of the title yet, but it's medieval/fantasy)
 
Comments please ? They really motivate me ! ♥