Chapter 1

The (Expensive) Cure to a Broken Heart

 

His best friend was sitting on one of the armchairs forming his office, tapping the armrest with his fingertips nervously. Jinki, sitting behind his desk, heaved a sigh. Minho was usually more talkative, and this new behaviour was very unusual. He was obviously hiding something.

 

“Okay, spit it out.” Jinki said, breaking the heavy silence.

 

Minho looked up and raised an eyebrow.

 

“What’s going on ? Something’s obviously bothering you.”

 

Jinki kept sorting out the letters he had received today, most of them being bills, without looking up. Minho would tell him everything anyway, like he always did.

 

“You need to find someone.”

 

Jinki looked up to eye Minho over his glasses with an annoyed look. They had had that conversation a million times already and it always ended up the same way.

 

“I’m perfectly fine on my own.”

 

“Stop saying that, nobody wants to be alone ! Do you really see yourself like this for the rest of your days ?”

 

Jinki remained silent and Minho spoke again.

 

“If you’d go out more I’m sure you’d find-”

 

“Minho, please. Be realistic. Why would someone like me, except for my bank account ?”

 

Saying that Jinki was rich was an understatement. He had inherited the fortune and the goods of his parents, who had themselves inherited all of it from their own parents before them, and so on. In his family, money wasn’t earned but inherited, so much that he had never had the need to work, even though he was highly qualified. However, although Jinki was very rich, he was still disabled. He had become paraplegic after a car accident in his youth, and even if he wasn’t suffering from complete paraplegia, it was still impossible for him to move around without a wheelchair. He had already tried meeting someone, and he had quickly been deceived seeing how people seemed more interested in what was inside his wallet than Jinki himself. He had stopped believing ever since.

 

“You know that not everyone is bad !”

 

“You’re right. There are still good people, but they’re just not interested in a guy in a wheelchair.”

 

Minho sighed, demoralized. He knew very well why Jinki reacted that way, it was the same thing every time they had that conversation. Except this time, he was determined to change Jinki’s mind. He was worrying for his best friend.

 

“Jinki, we all have needs, included you. I get that you’re afraid to commit, but you could at least have some fun.”

 

Jinki chuckled. Were they really having this conversation ?

 

“Minho, people are even against the idea of dating a paraplegic man, do you really think having with one of them would be any different ?”

 

Minho had to admit that when he put it that way, Jinki was right. But he wasn’t done yet.

 

“You could still hire someone.”

 

“Hire someone ?” Jinki asked with wide eyes.

 

Was Minho really suggesting that he hired a e ?

 

“Are you serious ?”

 

“I know a few people, I could easily find someone you’d like and-”

 

“No.” He said in a stern voice. “No way.”

 

He knew very well Minho had many contacts, he was very sociable and was quite rich as well. Not as rich as Jinki, but sill. He was a professional football player and was thus often invited to parties. He knew a lot of people and Jinki believed him when he said he could easily find someone. But he didn’t like the idea... He didn’t like it one bit. Since when Minho had such stupid ideas ?

 

“Jinki, you’re always on the edge lately ! Even Sohye told me you were grumpy these days.”

 

“Well I’m glad to see that you’re talking about me behind my back…”

 

“We worry about you. Life isn’t about moping in your house all day.”

 

“Because life is about hiring es, maybe ?”

 

“That’s not what I said. Taemin and I we just thought-”

 

“Ah ! So it was Taemin’s idea !”

 

“It doesn’t matter whose idea it was, it’s a good one.”

 

Minho had expected Jinki to be reluctant, of course he would be. Jinki had the annoying tendency to avoid every person who showed so much as a little interest in him. He was too afraid of getting hurt. Except for a few exceptions, he lived like a recluse. He never got out, except if he really had to, but it didn’t keep Minho from trying. He had already suggested many times that he came with him to parties he had been invited, but Jinki never came. He hated parties and he didn’t understand why Minho even bothered involving him in those events.

 

“No.”

 

Jinki’s voice was stern and Minho just sighed. His authoritative tone meant the topic was not open to discussion. Minho knew it was useless to keep trying, once Jinki had decided something, it was impossible to make him change his mind. He might as well talk to a wall.

 

Minho left the room eventually, but not without throwing a last worried look towards his stubborn best friend.

 

……………………...……….

 

Jinki was sitting in his wheelchair next to Jonghyun. The practice had finished a few minutes ago but they always stayed a bit on the basketball court to talk. He had been doing wheelchair basketball for a little more than seven years now. The rules were almost the same as the regular basketball, except all the players are in wheelchairs. He had started doing this sport a few years after his accident and had never stopped since. That was how he had met Jonghyun. Jonghyun was a paraplegic, just like Jinki, except he was suffering from a much more severe kind of paraplegia. He was completely paralyzed from the waist down, whereas Jinki suffered from paresis. He could still feel his legs a bit, but his muscles didn’t work properly. Jonghyun had a very outgoing personality and, being in a wheelchair himself, he understood Jinki more than anyone else. They had become friends very quickly.

 

“I bumped into Taemin yesterday, he told me you had an argument with Minho.”

 

Jinki put the bottle of water he was holding on the ground and heaved a sigh.

 

“We didn’t have an argument, it’s just that he keeps bringing up something that he shouldn’t.”

 

“Ah, he’s still trying to get you to meet someone ?” Jonghyun asked, wiping his face with a towel.

 

“No.” Jinki sighed.

 

“Wait… Shouldn’t you be happy then ? I thought you hated that !”

 

“I do. It’s just that… He thinks that since I’m afraid of commitment, I should hire a e to, I quote, ‘have some fun’.”

 

Jonghyun burst out laughing and Jinki sighed.

 

“Well, he’s not entirely wrong.”

 

Jinki’s eyes widened.

 

“Oh no, not you too…”

 

“Think about it for a second, you don’t want to get close to someone because you’re afraid they’ll toy with your feelings and date you only for your money. If you hire someone, at least you know what to expect.”

 

“It’s not what I want.”

 

“Then what do you want ?”

 

“Nothing, I didn’t ask for anything ! Minho’s the one who always says I shouldn’t stay alone.”

 

“He’s right, you should have some fun. You’re too grumpy these days.”

 

“Why is everyone telling me that ?!”

 

Jonghyun sent him an amused look that clearly said ‘see ? I told you so’ and Jinki sighed.

 

“I can’t.”

 

“If I were you, I’d do it. I mean, if I could… I would.”

 

Jinki smiled sadly. It was impossible for Jonghyun to have a normal with someone, since he was completely paralyzed from the waist down. Jinki knew he was lucky on that point, he wasn’t as severely paralyzed as Jonghyun.

 

“But I’m not like you… That’s not what I’m looking for.”

 

“Then what are you looking for ? You don’t want to stay alone for the rest of your life but you won’t get to know people !”

 

“I don’t know, Jonghyun ! I don’t know what I want but I know I don’t want that !”

 

“Okay, okay.” Jonghyun said, holding his hands in the air. “Let’s talk about something else.”

 

They were all against him, apparently.

 

………………………….

 

When Minho came back home from his football practice, his boyfriend jumped at him, kissing him eagerly. Minho burst out laughing when he saw how excited his boyfriend was and slid an arm around his waist, pulling him closer.

 

He had been living with Taemin for over a year now and he couldn’t be more happy. They had met at a birthday party for one of Minho’s colleagues and he had found himself unable to look away. Taemin was the most beautiful man he had ever seen and he had asked him out right away. Of course, Taemin had accepted. They had moved in together in a beautiful apartment nine months later.

 

Taemin eventually pulled away and took Minho’s hand in his to lead him in the living room.

 

“I need your help !”

 

“For what ?” Minho asked.

 

“We need to find someone for Jinki.”

 

Minho sighed. He had told Taemin everything but he was still determined.

 

“No, Taemin, I can’t do that to Jinki, he’s going to kill me !”

 

“I’ll do it then ! But you’ve known Jinki since you were kids, you have to tell me what’s his type !”

 

He knew very well what was Jinki’s type. He still remembered when they were teenagers, sitting on the stairs near the school’s entrance and talking about the girls they liked. It was before Minho realized he was gay. Jinki liked both men and women, but knowing what his type was and putting it into words were two different things. It was difficult to explain to Taemin. Jinki had always thought people’s personality to be more important than their looks, but seeing that they weren’t looking for someone he would date, personality didn’t matter much and looks must be the number one priority.

He told Taemin just that and the latter seemed lost in thoughts. Taemin knew a lot of people as well, and it would be easier for him to find someone. He had been working as a model for a few years now, and he was quite popular.

 

On second thought, Taemin decided it would be better to hire an boy or girl.

 

“They’re also paid to spend time with people, not just for . It’s better.” Taemin explained.

 

Minho let him handle all of that and went to the kitchen to start cooking. Jinki was already angry enough with him as it was, he didn’t want to anger him even more.

 

He was setting the table when he heard Taemin squeal.

 

“I found someone ! He’s perfect !”

 

Minho really hoped Jinki wouldn’t kill him.

……………………

 

Jinki had thought that conversation was over. Apparently it wasn’t, and everybody enjoyed bringing it up.

 

“Minho’s right, Jinki. I don’t think anyone should be alone.” Sohye said.

 

Sohye was his personal assistant. She helped him with anything he couldn’t do himself and had been working for him for years. Like Minho, she knew the reason why Jinki didn’t want to commit. And like Minho, she couldn’t help but talk about it with him.

 

It was starting to get on his nerves.

 

“I already had that conversation with Minho, Jonghyun, the maid, the gardener and the cook. I don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

 

He wasn’t joking, almost all of his employees had talked about it with him. The maid had told him that he didn’t deserve to live a lonely life and that he would certainly find someone nice one day, the gardener thought the same and the cook had told him ‘Ah, you’re quite right Mr Lee ! We don’t need women to tell us what to do and ruin our lives !’. The cook was a fifty-year-old confirmed bachelor. But hey, he was the only one who didn’t tell him to meet someone.

 

“If everybody talks to you about it, there has to be a reason.”

 

“It’s not because everyone thinks something is a good idea that this thing really is a good idea.”

 

“That’s how it works in a democracy.”

 

“But we’re not talking about a democracy now, are we ? We’re talking about my love life !”

 

He really needed a break.

 

“Don’t bring this up anymore, Sohye. That’s an order.”

 

“Yes, Mr Lee.” She said, sighing.

 

She left his office to let him work in peace. At least, he always had the last say with his employees. He would have liked it to be the same thing with his friends.

 

There was a knock on the door.

 

“Come in.” He said.

 

The maid walked in.

 

“I’m sorry to disturb you, Mr Lee, but a young man is at the door.”

 

“A young man ?” Jinki asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

It couldn’t be one of his friends, they came at Jinki’s often and each and everyone of his employees knew who they were.

 

Jinki followed the maid to the living room and caught sight of someone sitting on the couch.

 

“Thank you Mrs Park, you can go now.”

 

The maid bowed respectfully before leaving. The young man sitting on the couch stood up when he saw her leaving and walked closer. He had a slim body and he was wearing chic clothes that reminded Jinki of the very expensive outfits from luxury fashion shops. He had very nice-looking blond hair parted to the sides, delicate features and he was wearing a bit of make-up. Jinki noticed how the young man froze for a few seconds, his feline eyes fixed on his wheelchair. He quickly got back to his senses and walked closer, holding his hand up for Jinki to shake it. He did so politely.

 

“I’m Key.”

 

“Lee Jinki.” He said back.

 

The man named Key smiled and small dimples appeared on his cheeks.

They both stayed motionless for a few seconds, staring at each other as they waited for the other to speak.

 

“Can I help you ?” Jinki eventually asked.

 

Key eyed him with a confused expression and giggled.

 

“I’m sorry ?”

 

“What brings you here ?” Jinki asked.

 

Key’s smile faded and he frowned.

 

“You don’t remember ? I’m Key, I was paid to spend the weekend with you.”

 

“Paid ?” Jinki repeated.

 

Seeing how Key was staring at him, he must have wondered if Jinki was mentally handicapped as well as having a motor disability.

 

“It must be a mistake.” Jinki said. “I didn’t ask for you.”

 

“Aren’t you Lee Jinki ?” Key asked, frowning.

 

“Well yes, but…” He started, sighing. “It’s complicated. Could you wait here for a moment ? I have to make a call.”

 

Key nodded and Jinki went back to his office. Saying that he was angry was an understatement. He quickly dialed the number.

 

“Yes ?”

 

“Minho !”

 

 

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

 

So... That's the first chapter ! I hope you liked it ! :P