No tears

Happyland

”Hold your friends close, but your enemies closer”, was something I always had been told by everyone. It was like that was forced to be my motto. Since I was very young I had always been… Different. My dad told me when I was young that he didn’t like his brothers wife. She was a bad person. Because my dad was my biggest role model and hero for me I start to dislike that woman too. I only saw my father cry once. It was when his mom, also known as my grandmother was dead. At the funeral. I didn’t know why he cried. My mom was also crying. A lot of people was crying. I felt confused because why didn’t I cry?


I got older and I met new people. I had a boyfriend once. We broke up because I never had any romantic feeling for him. He was only a friend. A few years later I got a black letter. It was his time to go. Another soul had been taken from this world. At the funeral I met his mom. She cried because she was so thankful of see me there. I was the only girl he had dared to bring into his life. But at this funeral, I was again not crying at all.

My dad became old and died. Again at the funeral. I never cried. Before this, I heard what he had done to me when I was so young that I couldn’t remember it. He wasn’t a hero, he was just a soul that decided to look away from the bad. He acted it wasn’t there. I was almost dying and the only thing he could say was ”It isn’t that bad, just eat this and you will be better in a few days.”

After this it didn’t take long for my mom to leave this world too. She drank her way out. Not that it wasn’t unusual of her to get drunk, but this time the life wasn’t on her side. She had lost my respect from early age. She also lead my big brother to the bad path of life. Which lead to his suicide the year after.

At his funeral the people had start talking and called me ”Happyland”. No one ever saw me crying at funerals. They said I looked like I was living in another world. I could never feel sadness.



I was now 23 years old and working at a coffee shop. I always heard a lot of -talk from people. Talking about others. One day there was one of our usual costumer, Soonyoung. He had a friend with him. I went over to his table. ”The usual for you?” He laughed a little shyly. ”Yes.” I looked at his friend, he was handsome. ”And what does this handsome guy want?” I asked. I could see how Soonyoung suddenly didn’t look so happy. ”Americano.” I wrote it up and nodded. ”I’ll be back soon, let me know if you want something more.” While I walked away I could her Soonyoung. ”Don’t you dare to take her Mingyu!” ”Aish, why would I do that? Don’t worry, she isn’t my style.” I sighed. Rejected already even asking him out.

I came back with their orders to the guys. ”Thank you Jay, and I was wondering if I could ask you a thing…” I smiled at Soonyoung. ”Yes Hoshi-hosh?” I . His friend, Mingyu, start to laugh. ”Do you have any information about a guy called The 8?” I had to think for a moment before I could answer. ”Nope. Doesn’t ring any bells.” ”Ah I see… Then I had another question.” ”You better hurry up because I have other people here to serve.” ”I have been invited to a big wedding and I don’t want to attend there alone. It’s this Friday.” I took out my schedule from my pocket. ”Are you kidding me? That is a Friday the 13th!” ”Bigger reason for you to come with me. If someone would die your makeup wouldn’t be destroyed and you would still be pretty.” ”Alright, but only this times. I’m not good at family stuff.” ”Great, then I will pick you up at seven.” ”Okay.” And then I went to another table to take their orders.

”You two seem to be close. Are you guys dating”, Mingyu asked Soonyoung.”No, but hopefully we will soon.” ”Ah, I understand. So is she older or younger?” ”None.” ”What?” ”We are born same year.”




Knock! Knock! I ran to the door and opened it. Soonyoung gasped. ”Is it to much?” ”No, it’s perfect.” I smiled and followed him out. ”Are you alright?” ”YOU NEVER SAID YOU WOULD GET HERE WITH OTHER PEOPLE.” ”Well, you already know that I can’t drive…” Soonyoung opened the door for me. I took a seat in the middle of the backseat. Soonyoung took seat next to me before he closed the door. ”Let’s go!” ”Nice girl you got, did you pay her?” ”Excuse me, but I’m a friend of Soonyoung.” ”Ah, I see. My name is Jun. Junhui. Junhui Wen.”  I looked at Soongyoung confused. ”This is the beginning, he will get worse.” The other boys in the car start to laugh. ”Shouldn’t you other guys introduce yourself? I have done it. Now it’s your turn.” The guy next to me on the left side turned to me. ”You can call me Chan but if Hoshi, I mean Soonyoung, say Dino, it’s me. Dino is my nickname.” ”Okay. Wait, do you all call him Hoshi?” ”Yeah.” ”Then it would be no problem for me to call you Hoshi, right? Or should I go for Hoshi-hosh?” The boys laughed. ”I like it more when you call me by my real name thou.” ”Alright.”

Jun hit the guy next to him at the front seat. ”Sorry, my name is Minghao, but the other call me The 8.” I looked at Soonyoung.