Chapter Six: Hail

The Path Less Chosen

 

Chapter Six

Hail

 

“Heechul! Heechul!”

The pretty boy in question continued to chew on the tip of his pencil, glancing up as several girls took their seats close to him. While the humans his age had to stay behind and continue to look after the house, Chosen were forced to go to school. He loathed the academy, however he admitted he loved to be treated like a prince. All of the students loved to fond over him, all desperate to receive his attention. That was the only reason he didn’t make some excuse to avoid having to go.

He yawned, completely bored, as Heechul turned to the Chosen that surrounded him and waved at them, flexing his fingers so that they looked like bunny ears – his signature greeting that made all of the girls squeal at his aegyo. Heechul leaned back in his seat, looking over to the clock that settled right above the teacher, who had already begun to launch into a lecture that Heechul would ignore completely until the end of the period. Only two minutes had passed… damn.

Heechul opened his notebook and began mindlessly doodling on one of the pages, stiffening when he felt something poke into the side of his arm. It turned out to be the tip of a paper airplane that had brushed against his flawless, milky skin and snatched it out of the air effortlessly before it hit the ground. He unfolded it carelessly, tearing the paper slightly.

He raised an eyebrow, searching for who had written it and his eyes met with a particularly blushing girl. Heechul smirked, not even needing to glance down at the paper to know what it said. She stared back at him nervously and he drew out his answer, making her struggle in her seat as she waited.

“Yes.” He mouthed, before puckering his lips a bit, causing her to drop her books on the ground. He chuckled quietly, before turning back to sit straight in his seat.

***

Eventually, lunch came around and Heechul took a seat at his usual table. The table was the largest of all of them and was set up in the middle of the room so that everyone could look at him and envy the people he invited to join him. He spotted a particularly tall boy, who had a similar build to a horse, and directed him over with a gesture of his hand.

“Siwon-ah,” He called out to him, making sure that all of the other students in the room turned to see the two of them, “Come and sit with me.” Heechul patted the seat beside him and the younger boy nodded, a large smile crossing his lips as he came over as had been asked.

“It’s a pleasure to sit next to you, Heenim.” The boy bowed his head and Heechul had to resist rolling his eyes. He understood the need to win his favor, however he had hoped for more sincere flattery. Kiss asses only irritated him. For Siwon’s sake, Heechul hoped he could make it up to him.

Heechul allowed a few more to sit with him and could feel the heat of everyone elses’ stares. It gratified him further. A few slaves came out from the kitchen, holding trays in their hands that they set down in front of each person. They served Heechul first, while everyone else had to wait for Heenim to make his first bite before anyone else could even look at their food.

Heechul pouted, pushing the plate forward. “I’m not in the mood for this.” He scrunched his nose, Heechul knew that this obviously irritated everyone else in the room – they were probably starving.

“Yah!” A voice rang out, he recognized it as the girl that had sent him the note, “Go get Heechul-oppa something else, you good-for-nothing!”

Heechul glanced over toward the slave, who apologized profusely, “I’m so sorry, master Heechul-ssi, I thought that was your favorite dish…” The kid looked ready to cry with all of the death glares he was being given. He seemed positive that he was going to get in trouble for not pleasing Heenim. Heechul began to reach his arm out again, about to accept the food and allow the boy to go before he could get hurt, however he was interrupted.

The girl yelled at the boy once again, “Are you arguing with oppa? You little-”

Enough.” Heechul commanded and everyone was silenced just by his single word. A sense of shock settled over the room as they all glanced over to the pretty boy. Heechul suddenly remembered his father’s warning and began to grow nervous. His family was so closely connected to the school that the news would travel fast and Heenim feared the consequences.

“What’s wrong, Heechul-ssi?” Siwon chimed in and Heechul sighed internally. He glanced towards the slave and gave him an apologetic look before crossing his arms and flipping his hair back.

“What’s wrong is I’m starving and I have not been served something edible!” He yelled, causing everyone to twitch a bit as Heechul continued to rant, “Get me food NOW.” He decided to even kick out at the table legs a bit for dramatic effect, causing the students around him to look at him, obviously impressed.

The slave seemed even more afraid, nodding vigorously before dashing into the kitchen. Once the scene was over, everyone returned to usual as they spoke animatedly to each other – trying to ignore that they still could not eat. Heechul leaned back in his chair, feeling oddly tired from his outburst.

He felt someone rubbing his leg and his dark eyes turned up to glance into the same girl that had seemed so set on receiving his attention. Heechul had first been flattered and enjoyed it immensely, however now he was not that interested in her. She reminded him of his father with how harsh she seemed to be able to get over the tiniest of actions.

“So…” She tried to gaze at him alluringly, “After school, should we go to the movies or something?”

Heechul made like he was about to agree, causing her eyes to light up, however then he then lapsed into a very realistic seeming coughing fit. “Oppa, are you sick?” was her immediate response as everyone glanced at him with concern.

“I’ll live,” He sputtered once more, “I think I should go though – I don’t feel well.”

“Feel better, Heechul!” Several told him as he excused himself, leaving the cafeteria. He had never once ditched school, however admitted he was enjoying his escape immensely. He turned to glance behind him, seeing the boy from before in the kitchen as he tried to prepare another elaborate meal. His expression softened and Heechul decided to tell him he was leaving. It would be a waste of time if the boy made him a dish he wouldn’t be able to eat.

He was about to sneak over to him, however the headmaster suddenly interrupted his path. He put a cool hand on Heechul’s shoulder, turning him back in the direction of the door and walking him out.

“I hope that you get well,” The headmaster smiled down at him while Heechul attempted to smile back without it seeming too fake. Once he was at the gates of the school, a flashy car with tinted windows was waiting idly at the curb. The driver, a human, got out of the car to open the passenger’s door. He waited for Heechul patiently, who glanced back up at the man who continued to maintain contact despite the awkwardness radiating off of Heenim, “Go along now. Make sure to get plenty of rest.”

Heechul nodded, wondering vaguely what it would be like if he wasn’t Kim Heechul. Would he be stepping into a car that was probably almost as expensive as most people’s houses? Would he have his own servants that attended to his every whim? Would he even be free?

He exhaled, glancing over to the driver beside him, taking him in with wide eyes. He had been born into the life of a prestigious Chosen. If he hadn’t been, Heechul realized, he would have none of those things.

 

Author's Note:

Whoo. Second update in the same day. Shall I try and set a record with chapter seven? :P Hope all of you have enjoyed the series so far. I'm still eternally grateful for those that motivate me to continue. So thank you, my "beloved darlings" <3 (Got that from Donghae^^)

~*Carissa*~