Chapter Thirteen: Burn

The Path Less Chosen

 

Chapter Thirteen

Burn

 

This is somewhat of a part two of Blaze.

 

Donghae lifted his head sleepily when the door creaked open and his hyung tried to slip in quietly. He and Eunhyuk had no way of keeping track of time while in the abandoned space. As such, they often went to sleep once the room had fallen into a pitch-black darkness as the nights progressed. He shifted just a small bit, blinking his eyes a few times. He tried his best to not wake Eunhyuk, who was only a couple of feet away.

“Hyung,” He called out to Leeteuk who slid down tiredly, “You’re not dead!”  

They had at first been worried, and a bit skeptical, about trying to enroll one of them into the academy settled in the City for all of the spoiled Chosen that were around their age. The three of them had decided against all of them going as it may attract too much suspicion. Teukie-hyung had stepped up to volunteer and they had agreed for him to do so. Eunhyuk knew much more about the Chosen world, however he had insisted on keeping Donghae company. They had been away from each other much too long and he missed his incredibly close friend.

Eunhyuk had been discreet with filling him on what had happened while they had been separated. He had heard only a few stories here and there and they had completely broken his heart. Now, however, he heard soft snoring coming from the older boy.

“Nope, I’m not.” Leeteuk murmured softly, using his jacket as a pillow as he lay against the floor.

Eunhyuk rolled over a bit, groaning before sitting up sharply. “Oi, hyung. How did it gO?” Any kind of grogginess absent from him voice“

 “He looks exhausted,” Donghae’s eyebrows creased with concern, “No one hurt you hyung, right?”

Leeteuk chuckled lightly, “No one hurt me. The Chosen I found was… different.”

“Er, ‘different’?” Donghae repeated, realizing the only Chosen he had ever really interacted with was the nurse-noona.

“I’m not quite sure how to describe him…”

“So he was weird?”

“… I suppose so.”

Eunhyuk involved himself in the conversation as well, his voice curious, “Who was it?”

“His name was Heechul.” Leeteuk spoke nonchalantly, however Eunhyuk’s eyes widened to extreme proportions. Donghae glanced over to him warily. The name did not register as familiar to him whatsoever. On the other hand, Eunhyuk seemed to be quite familiar with him. Donghae knew it was stupid to assume so much, however if Eunhyuk knew him then maybe he had hurt him. His fingers twitched and curled together into a fist.

“The Kim Heechul?” Eunhyuk asked, “How the hell did you pull that one off? He’s the most popular Chosen throughout the city. Back in the Slums, he was constantly on the TV they had.”

“So… You don’t know him personally.” Donghae spoke slowly to which Eunhyuk shook his head.

“I do though.” Leeteuk pointed out and the others looked at him impressed. It had been barely his first day and he already knew a Chosen person. “He seems to tolerate me more than I’d expect.”

“See?” Eunhyuk smiled proudly, “He thought you were Chosen.”

“What even is the difference?” Donghae asked and other two shrugged. He then turned to the oldest, asking curiously, “What was it like… hanging around with Chosen?”

Leeteuk contemplated for a few moments. “There wasn’t much of a difference when it came to Heechul, even if he’s much more eccentric than anyone else I’ve met,” Was his answer, “The others were fine up until I thanked the server that gave us lunch and then they looked at me like I was some kind of mental patient.”

Eunhyuk was a bit wary, “I’m surprised they weren’t suspicious after that. It’s pretty much unheard of to show any kind of courtesy to any of us.”

“They might’ve been a bit,” Leeteuk admitted, before smiling slightly, “They didn’t have much time to react before I was kidnapped. Heechul’s house… you can’t even consider it a house. It was bigger than the school.”

“He trusts you enough to let you into his house?”

“Apparently.”

***

The sun rose and greeted the three of them as they had fallen asleep shortly after Leeteuk had come back and filled them in on what happened. Donghae felt restless as his hyung was the one getting ready to go back to the academy and get closer to the Chosen, Heechul. As Donghae had never met him, he did not pass judgment against him, however from what Eunhyuk had described from the Kim Heechul on the television, he was a spoiled brat.

“Are you sure I can’t help you out, hyung?” He asked, rushing over to the older as he was about to head out of the door, staring at him with wide eyes.

Leeteuk shrugged, “We already agreed we would get too much attention if all three were there. Once I get closer to Heechul, I’ll find a way to invite you two in with us. Once I feel that we’ll be safe around him.”

Eunhyuk cut in, rubbing his tired eyes, “I don’t want you to feel rushed or anything, Teukie-hyung, but there’s only one chance we’ll get to Eden and that’s if Heechul takes us with him to the New Earth year anniversary celebration.”

Leeteuk nodded, cracking the door open. “I know,” He said before a mischievous smile crossed his lips, “I’ll handle it.”

 

Author's Note:

Wow. I'm proud of myself for coming out with another update so quickly ^.^. Hope you guys are still enjoying the series. I wouldn't know >.>. Feedback please! 

~*Carissa*~