Chapter Eleven: Vapor

The Path Less Chosen

 

Chapter Eleven

Vapor

 

“Heechul-oppa, welcome back!” Several girls greeted him at the main entrance, crowding around the boy they received so enthusiastically. They followed behind him as he continued to ascend the stairs up to the main building, two boys opening the doors for him and his fangirls to enter. He continued on to his locker, twirling his combination into the lock and getting his stuff out. Heechul paused, staring at the mirror that hung on the locker door for a moment until he felt someone wrap an arm around his waist.

He whipped around, ready to defend himself from his attacker, however it was merely the girl that he had left hanging the day previous. Heechul subtly backed out of her touch, however that seemed to motivate her to grab onto him tighter. Heechul hoped maybe some of the girls would get jealous and pry her off of them so they could have a turn, however raised a high eyebrow when he noticed it was just the two of them. He wondered if the scene at the cafeteria had scared them from wanting to mess with her. Hell, he didn’t even want to mess with her.

She d his hand in hers, dragging him along with her to their homeroom class. They paused at the door, about to step in, when a girl suddenly latched onto the girl, squealing. “Unni! Unni!” She called out to her friend excitedly.  The girl finally detached from Heechul’s slender frame, looking annoyed at the interruption. Heechul was relieved, he had plenty of other girls who were looking for him. Or at least, he thought there were. The flower-like boy pouted when he noted there were none around to dote all over him. He leaned against the wall, wondering if they had somehow gotten sick from thinking he was sick.

“What is it?” The girl crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow at the younger. She came off seeming irritated, using a similar tone to one that Heechul had used when he, himself, was pissed with someone. He did not like the way it sounded, and wondered if that was what he had sounded like when he had gone off on his rants. Heechul did not have the best temper, so he did have the tendency to sometimes go off on others.

“There’s a really hot new boy at school.” The girl clutched her binder to her heart, her eyes practically glazing over. Heechul’s pretty face scrunched up in confusion. Who could possible detract from him? Was that where all of his fangirls had left to? Heechul admitted he missed their attention. He had grown used to being able to revel in his vanity and for all of the girls seemed to adore his good looks.

The girl returned, ignoring the other’s words as she went back to Heechul’s side. “No one can beat oppa.” She stated proudly, Heechul’s generously sized ego. The younger girl hesitated, glancing over the prince of the school warily before nodding. Heechul watched as the girl seemed to want to add in something else, however decided against it, telling the girl at his side that she would see her at lunch. Heechul wondered if he should feel slightly guilty about not taking the time to remember the girls’ names. He shrugged it off, however. If he was to memorize all of the names of the girls that took interest in him, he would have to know every girl in the school.

***

“Is that him? Is that him?”

Heechul turned to look behind him, watching as numerous girls crowded around the doors of the cafeteria and rolled his eyes. The academy in the City rarely admitted new students as Chosen often stayed where they were in the ranks. As it was such a rare occurrence, he figured the spotlight would be off of him for the first week the boy was there. After that it would go back to normal, Heechul simply needed to be patient. Perhaps it was convenient though, what with the scene he had left behind the day before. No one even seemed to remember it, except perhaps the kid that was going to serve him. Casting his eyes over to the kitchen, the particular boy seemed nervous as to what he was going to prepare for Heechul.

He yawned after staring at the blockade of females and nothing happening other than screaming and giggling and went back to staring at his empty tray of food. “Are you going to invite him over, h-hyung?” Hankyung asked him curiously. Of all of the student population, Hankyung was the only person Heechul would ever consider a very close friend. It was obvious that most of the others that had such an interest to befriend him were trying to use him. He remembered agreeing to several parties when his parents had been out of town and they had completely trashed the place. Of course, he hadn’t had to clean it up, but it still pissed him off all the same. The originally born in China – he had moved to Seoul around the time New Earth had begun – boy did not seem to care about his position at all.

Heechul did not answer immediately, his cool eyes taking in the boy that emerged from the crowd. The stranger slowly slid down his sunglasses, seeming to be glancing around the large space before his eyes met with Heechul. The corner of Heechul’s lip curled, as he smirked over at the new kid. This was the source of all of the commotion? He had expected someone a bit more intimidating. His five minutes of fame would pass quickly.

“Sure he could come over here.” Heechul’s voice was laced with amusement. Returning to meet the boy’s gaze, he beckoned him over to the table with a gesture of his hand. He went over to take a seat next to Heechul, a position normally reserved for Siwon, however, Heechul figured he would be able to handle himself a bit further away.

Heechul raised an eyebrow, the nasty smile that had found its way across his lips only widening. “Aren’t you going to introduce yourself?” He asked, crossing his arms at the stranger. The boy slowly slid off the jacket, seeming a bit tense as his skin was flushed. At the sound of Heechul’s voice, his eyes flicked up nervously.  

“Sure,” He responded, his voice astoundingly calm despite his contrasting body language, “It’s Leeteuk. What’s yours?”

Heechul suddenly felt cold and wet. He looked down and noticed as water began to leak down the table – he had spilt the water bottle in his hands all over the floor and his brand new shirt. He glared at the new kid, it was obviously his fault. How the hell did the kid not know who he was? Siwon, who was always willing to assist, immediately went over to him and began to sop up the water with paper towels. He overwhelmed Heechul with questions, asking him multiple times over if he was okay.

“Yah! Siwon, I’m not going to melt.” He hissed irritably, while Hankyung completely brushed off the situation, turning to the new kid, looking quite entertained.

“Don’t worry about him,” Hankyung said in his signature, heavy accent, “His self-esteem is just a bit bruised. He’s Kim Heechul – the most famous Chosen in the City.”

The boy named Leeteuk’s eyes widened, before readjusting in merely a second or two. “Oh, I guess I don’t go on the internet much.” He brushed off the initial surprise easily, Heechul admittedly found it a bit impressive at his self-control. He seemed to be trying to get used to such a large adjustment. Heechul wondered where he had been before, however didn’t ask. He didn’t care enough to know.

“Obviously not,” Heechul grimaced towards his saturated shirt, and pointing accusingly at Leeteuk, “Now you have to make it up to me for getting off to such a wrong start.”

Hankyung smirked, shaking his head as though he knew Heechul’s ways. Food for everyone at the table was finally set out, Leeteuk’s was much less catered to his liking as the servers obviously did not know. The boy glanced up towards the server and smiled, “Thank you.” The others at the table raised an eyebrow. This kid was definitely different from any of the others.

Heechul felt the sudden need to get the attention away from the new Chosen boy, as everyone stared at them oddly. “Aish, you're new,” He smirked at him, “Come with me and maybe I can teach you how not to be a social pariah.”

 

Author's Note:

Heh, trying to keep Leeteuk and Heechul from becoming TeukChul was a challenge. ... Anyway, though, hope you like it. Please give me feedback~ 

~*Carissa*~