Chapter Seventeen: Mirage

The Path Less Chosen

 

Chapter Seventeen

Mirage

Heechul trailed his fingers up and down Leeteuk’s arm, his eyebrow quirked while his dark eyes were cold and harshly set on him. The feline-like male had easily bridged the distance between them and his stature was intimidating. Leeteuk didn’t waiver, however, his heart beat rapidly in his chest due to adrenaline. In that moment he was unsure of what to say. Leeteuk knew he would never put Donghae and Eunhyuk in danger, as their secret was much too severe. He supposed that he could sacrifice himself. Leeteuk was the oldest after all, and more importantly, he had the least to lose. He knew that the separation between his two dongsaengs had been very hard on them. He would try his best so they would never have to go through that again.

Leeteuk exhaled softly, the younger finally taking a step back and allowing him his space. His voice was soft as he finally broke the tense silence, not immediately revealing anything – which he believed would piss of Heechul, “This isn’t very easy for me, you know.” The other male scoffed, his glare was challenging as he merely rolled his eyes in disdain.

“You think I’m taking it any better?” The feminine male asked as he brushed his dark bangs out of his face. “Just tell me – be a man and get it over with.”

Leeteuk flopped down into a parlor chair exhaustedly, finally giving in and saying cryptically, “I’m not like you.”

Heechul’s expression darked as his acid tongue ran over his lips before shouting, “That’s your big secret? You and I are different!?” Colorful profanities poured out of his mouth while Leeteuk merely scooted his chair further and further away.

When Heechul finally was down blowing off much needed steam, Leeteuk was thankful to note that he was much calmer. He finally came over and slapped his hyung on the back as relief flowed through the older’s body. Obviously, Heechul wasn’t sure of what he meant but he seemed to not find it as means to skin him alive.

“Cheeky bastard.” Heechul hissed before cracking a slight grin, “How are you different? Are you…?”

Leeteuk blinked, not catching on as the other snickered and waved the subject away with his hand. The younger shoved him, “Tell me you secret!”

“I’m human.” He muttered in a blur, squeezing his eyes shut and waiting for Heechul to lose it and wreak havoc on the room, however nothing happened. He peeked open one eye and saw Heechul lounging on the bed.

Heechul’s seriousness faded and a triumphant smirk made Leeteuk’s eyebrows shot up as the younger chuckled. “I was wondering when you were going to cave.” His voice rang out tauntingly.

“… WHAT?”

The younger seemed amused by Leeteuk’s blank shock, speaking nonchalantly. “You thought that was me actually angry at you?” He then sneered, “Let’s just hope you never actually upset me.”

“Are you saying you pretended to be pissed at me so I’d fess up to you?” Leeteuk asked incredulously.

Heechul grinned wickedly, “That’s exactly what I’m saying. I’m not a bad actor, am I? Now, you on the other hand…”

Leeteuk parted his lips to object, however instead, icy panic pricked at his sides. “Is it that obvious?” He asked uncertainly. Heechul seemed to be taking his situation lightly, others wouldn’t extend him the same treatment. Heechul seemed to pick up on his fear almost instantly and his expression softened.

“Not particularly.” He shrugged, “You just hung around me enough for me to figure it out.”

Leeteuk sunk in his chair. “What happens now?” He asked, his eyes staring widely at the other. Heechul hadn’t done anything about it up to then. That only eased him slightly.

“Nothing changes.” The younger replied, before crossing his arms, “Unless you were expecting something to happen. I doubt you put on this whole masquerade for nothing.”

“Well…” Leeteuk hesitated.

Heechul sneered. “Have we not got past you holding things back from me? If you want me to scare you, I’ve gotten quite good at throwing chairs very long distances.”

 

Author's Note:

*deep sigh* Hurray~ I finally got this done. Hope it's not a fail. Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I'll get better with that I promise~

~*Carissa*~