Chapter 31

Heartfelt Voice

Jiyeon began to drift off to sleep. She found herself wandering into dreamland. Dressed in a white linen dress that came down to just above her knees, she walked barefoot in a flat meadow. It was mostly small sage bush but there were large areas of green grasses. The river here was lazy and meandering as it ambled across the meadow. Large sandbanks were frequent along its sides. A brilliant sun hovered in a tranquil blue sky that was peppered with white clouds. A warm breeze caressed her cheeks and the air was thick with the rich scents of wet earth and freshly cut grass. A wave of calmness washed over her and made her feel so alive.

There was a young man dressed in a white linen shirt and white shorts sitting on the sandbank, a brown acoustic guitar lying on the sand beside him. He wore a white skull cap. Jaehyun! Jiyeon ran over there and dropped to her knees behind him. She hugged her love, tenderly embracing him with a blissful smile of contentment.

"What the hell are you doing? I'm not him," the familiar voice said, sounding angry as he removed her arms.

How could I mistake him as my love? was left open in dumbfounded silence.

Grabbing the guitar by its neck, he leapt to his feet and turned around to face her. "I didn't invite you here! Go away! " Baekwoon shouted. His eyes were wide open, rage seething from the bloodshot whites. His lip quivered. "I don't want to see you!"

He didn't invite me here, so why did I come here? Perhaps it's because I'm extremely curious about his relationship with his twin brother! Jiyeon blew out a loud sigh before rising to her feet. "Why the hell are you mad at me?" She held his bloodshot gaze. "You didn't invite me here, so I guess you can't invite me to leave."

A tear trembled on his lashes and then dropped off to slowly roll down his cheek. Feeling sorry for him, Jiyeon brought her hand up to his face to wipe the tear away, but Baekwoon pushed her hand away. She could hear him sniffling as he walked away. She quickly chased after him and grabbed his arm to turn him around.

Baekwoon jerked away and snarled, his voice cracking, "Go away and leave me alone!" His face contorted with a mix of anger and sadness, his eyes b with tears. His nose was tinted red.

Her heart ached with pity for him. "What makes you like this? Is it because I chose Jaehyun?" Jiyeon inched closer to him, stood on tiptoes and wiped his tears away. "I love him so dearly. As a friend, shouldn't you support my relationship?"

Instead of answering, Baekwoon slumped down on the grass. After a moment's silence, he cradled the guitar in his lap. He hung his head low, his hand dancing delicately across the length of the guitar's strings. His fingers plucked as his mouth moved to the music, singing a quiet, soft melody that bore no words. He kept his eyes closed. He played guitar better than anyone she had ever heard. He made the guitar sound almost like someone wailing. It reached deep inside, pulling at her heartstrings, moving her soul. She felt a cool tear slide down her face…

"Wake up, Jiyeon." Jaehyun's hushed voice and a gentle caress on her cheek pulled her from her dreams.

Her eyes slowly opened to see her love sitting beside her. Jaehyun seemed worried, his brows drawn together, the edges of his mouth curved down. "I saw you shed a tear. Were you having a bad dream?" He took her by the hand and helped her sit up.

"It was the first time I experienced dreaming during a nap—" Jiyeon adjusted her position so that she was facing him in a more comfortable way. She looked him in the eye. "I dreamed of meeting Baekwoon again. He was mad at me…he expressed his anguish through his guitar."

"That what made you shed a tear?" Jaehyun held her gaze. "Did you know why he was mad at you?"

Jiyeon was quiet for a moment, trying to remember something. Then she replied, "I'm sure it was because I chose you as my life partner. He once promised that he would let me date anyone except you."

He sighed, running his fingers through his hair. He looked up at the sky and mumbled, "I wonder what made him against me dating you."

"He was jealous of you. When I first saw you play guitar, he told me not to fall for you. He said he can play guitar and sing too." She touched his cheek, her hand cupping his face, feeling his warmth. "He also told me that you're a playboy."

His gaze flicked back to her. Jaehyun took her hand off his cheek but held it near his heart. "Did you believe him that I'm a playboy?"

"I wouldn't choose you as my life partner if I believed him. I trust my instincts. My intuition told me that you're the one." Jiyeon stood on her knees and captured his face with both hands. She pressed a soft kiss against his mouth, on his bottom lip. She caught him so completely off guard that he didn't even respond for a moment. Suddenly, his arms went around her waist, pulling her into his lap.

Jiyeon could feel the pressure of his rising desire through her pants as she settled onto his lap. The kiss grew more passionate as Jaehyun took the lead. Their tongues entwined heatedly until eventually he took his lips away from . He placed a gentle kiss against her neck just below her ear, smiling against her soft skin as she tilted her head to give him better access. Her fingers threaded through his hair as he made his way back to her earlobe, it gently into his mouth. She let out a soft moan. Afraid of getting caught by his sister, she pulled away, scrambled off his lap and stood up.

He stared up at her, a puzzled look blanketing his face. "What's wrong?" Jaehyun asked.

"I can't do it here." Jiyeon took a deep breath and sighed. "What if your sister catches us?"

His puzzled look changed into an easy smile. Jaehyun grabbed his guitar by the neck then stood up. "Let's do it in my room then." He held his free hand out to Jiyeon and laced their fingers when she took it.

Kissing won't get me pregnant. I can kiss freely, as much as I want. I enjoy his kisses, and no doubt he enjoys mine. Jiyeon grinned as they walked down the garden path, heading towards the front door.

The front door was left open. They stepped inside and spotted his sister lying on the couch in the living room, staring at the ceiling.

"Sis, what's bothering you?" Jaehyun asked as they approached her.

Eunji pulled herself into a sitting position. Jaehyun plopped down beside her and placed the guitar on an empty space beside him, while Jiyeon sat on the couch opposite them. Eunji's eyes flicked between Jiyeon and Jaehyun.

Jaehyun took his sister's hand in his, a concerned look adorning his face. "Did your friend tell you something that brothered you?"

Eunji nodded curtly, giving his hand a squeeze. She then sighed loudly. "Jiyeon, your mother doesn't approve of your relationship, does she?" she questioned, staring at her intensely.

Jiyeon squirmed uncomfortably under her intense gaze. "Y-yes, she doesn't approve. She has been trying to set me up with Baekhyun's friend," she answered in an undertone. "She thinks he can 'fix' me."

"What do you mean he can 'fix' you?"

"My mom believes there's something wrong with me and that I need to be 'fixed'," Jiyeon explained. "Baekhyun's friend is a therapist. According to him, he is a good one."

A look of surprise crossed her face. "What's his name?" Eunji's voice rose a notch.

"His name is Kim Junmyeon. I never meet him in person…"

"Park Jiyeon!" a familiar female voice hollered from outside.

Mom! Jiyeon sprang to her feet and rushed to the front door. She stepped out onto the porch, then stopped dead in her tracks when she saw her mother walk briskly down the brick path towards the front door with her hands balled into fists. Her face had creases on its forehead.

No doubt, Mom is so furious with me. Jiyeon puffed up her cheeks, blowing out a long sigh.

"Is she your mom?" Eunji's voice came from behind her. Jiyeon glanced over her shoulder to see her and Jaehyun standing right behind her.

"Yes, she is," Jaehyun answered before he took a step forward and gently took her hand in his, interlacing their fingers as he whispered, "Don't worry."

"Take your hand off hers!" her mother demanded once she stood before them.

Instead of obeying her mother's order, Jaehyun tightened his grip in a protective way. He slightly bowed his head to her mother and spoke in a polite and calm tone, "I admire your daughter and love her dearly, and your daughter loves me. I will make utterly sure to strive to give her life's comfort and make her happy. Would you give us your blessing?"

"You're still a student, focus on your studies first! Think properly for your future," her mother scolded him. "Do you think you can survive only with love?"

Jaehyun kept his tone polite and calm, "I'm sure your daughter and I can survive without money. The human race has survived without it long before it was introduced. We just want a simple life. We want to live off the grid. Mother Nature provides—"

"Cut the crap!" Her mother grabbed Jiyeon's wrist and pulled her hand out his grip.

"Mom, I love him with all my heart and soul. I want to live off the grid with him," Jiyeon said as she twisted her wrist back and forth in her mother's grip trying to break free. Her mother tightened her grip and dragged her towards the gate.

Jaehyun had only taken one step before Eunji grabbed his arm and dragged him back into the house, telling him loudly, "Forget her, Jaehyun. Her mother doesn't approve of you being with her."

His sister's advice hurt her. Jiyeon felt as if her stomach was clenched up in knots. She gritted her teeth when she saw Baekhyun lean against a cab near the gate. Smiling, he opened the car door for her mother.

"Get into the car," her mother ordered.

Jiyeon stood still, her eyes narrowed at Baekhyun, and her hand balled into a fist. She had the urge to punch him in the face for prying into her private affairs.

"Get into the car right now!" her mother yelled, then shoved her into the passenger seat. Once her mother was settled in the seat beside her, Baekhyun shut the door and got in the front passenger seat.

The cabbie started the engine. As he pulled away from the curb, Jiyeon heard Jaehyun call her. She glanced through the back window and saw him chase the cab. Her mother followed her gaze and admonished the cabbie to drive faster. The car accelerated rapidly. As Jaehyun disappeared out of sight, Jiyeon realized there were tears in her eyes.

Jiyeon swallowed the giant lump forming in and choked out the words, "Mom, Jaehyun is the love of my life. I don't need luxury goods. I'm happy to eat just wild edibles as long as he's with me." Her stomach clenched as she closed her eyes. "So please let me be with him."

"You're out of your mind." Her mother smacked her thigh, making her eyes flinch open. "What is it about him that you like so much? What do you see in him?"

"I see the strength of heart in him. He is not materialistic. He is definitely not like the man who brought you to his house. Jaehyun has the ability to think for oneself while that man doesn't; he only parrots what he's told," Jiyeon countered, her voice cracking with emotion.

Baekhyun glanced over his shoulder and met her teary gaze. He curled his lip into a sneer. Jiyeon leaned forward and smacked his head, shouting, "I'm so sick of you!"

"Ouch!" Baekhyun grunted, rubbing his head.

"Don't be so rude to him." Her mother slapped her shoulder. "Apologize to him right now."

I'd rather die than apologize to him. Jiyeon leaned back in her seat, looking out the window. Her heart pounded with her anger and frustration. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, wanting to scream out so loud, but she swallowed the urge. She let her mind fly back to the lovely moment she just experienced with her love, ignoring her mother's babbling. Recalling it put a smile on her face. She felt herself relaxing, her heart resuming a steady beat.

Eventually, the car came to a screeching halt in front of her house. Baekhyun immediately got out of the car and opened the passenger door for her mother. She kept her hold on Jiyeon's wrist as she stepped out of the car. With a heavy heart, Jiyeon followed suit.

"Mom, are you afraid that I will run away?" she blurted out as her mother led her to the front door. Baekhyun followed two steps behind them.

"Baekhyun, help me watch her," her mother said once they reached the door. "Don't let her run away."

"Sure," he responded eagerly as he gripped her left wrist. Her mother released her hold on her right wrist, reached into her bag and pulled out the key.

"I never forget how you humiliated me in front of your students, and I swear I won't stop ruining your relationship with that ing boy," Baekhyun whispered in her ear as her mother unlocked the door.

"No wonder you act so nice to my mom," Jiyeon countered, her voice barely audible as she stomped on his foot. He grunted and tightened his grip, making her wince. 

"What's up?" her mother asked.

Jiyeon opened to answer, but Baekhyun beat her to it. "Nothing, auntie. We were just joking around." He smiled, releasing her wrist.

Her mother returned his smile. "Come on, come inside."

Jiyeon stood still, glaring at him. Her mother sighed loudly, took a hold of her right wrist and started pulling her inside the house. A little shocked, she could only follow. Baekhyun walked casually into the living room and picked his backpack and his helm off the couch. So sick of him, Jiyeon jerked her hand free and marched upstairs to her room. She slammed her door closed, rushed to the bed and threw herself into it. She covered her head with her pillow when she heard the sound of her door being opened. She knew it was her mother.

Mom is going to scold me again! Jiyeon took a deep breath, mentally preparing herself for the scolding.

"You're so rascal! How far will you go to embarrass me?" Her mother snatched the pillow from her head and whacked her in the head with it.  

Jiyeon groaned and sat up. "I don't think I ever embarrassed you," she almost shouted.

"Do you think I don't know what happened in school?" her mother shouted as she threw the pillow at her head. Jiyeon dodged to the left and the pillow flew past her. Her mother drew a deep breath and plopped down beside her. She dropped her voice a notch, "Mrs. Kim has called me, telling me what happened in school." Her mother held her hands in hers and gave her a stern look. "Turn in your resignation at school."

Jiyeon jerked her hands away. "No—"

"Listen, Park Jiyeon," her mother snapped. She blew out an audible breath and added in a rather calm voice, "If you resign to get married, it won't affect your reputation. Then you'll be able to go back to work in the future. I've managed to convince Mrs. Kim—"

"Mom, stop trying to set me up with Junmyeon," Jiyeon interjected. She looked her mother in the eye and declared with utter seriousness, "I'm already married to Jung Jaehyun."

Her mother stood up, laughing a little, then she raised her hand so quickly that Jiyeon could not avoid it. Her mother's slap stung her cheek, and tears came to her eyes. She put her hand to her cheek, her cheek felt hot to the touch.  

"You better forget that boy," her mother said firmly. "Don't set even one foot out of this house! Mrs. Kim and Junmyeon will come here this evening." Then she turned, stormed out of her room and slammed her door shut.

She heard a barely audible "Click!" coming from the door. It seemed like her mother had locked it from outside. She sprang to her feet and rushed to the door to check it. She grasped the knob and twisted it, but the door wouldn't budge.

What she feared finally came upon her.

Her mother locked her up.

Feeling despair, she turned and leaned back against the door. She slowly slid down until she was sitting on the floor. She hugged her knees tightly to her chest and buried her face in the crook of her right arm. I'll probably never see him again. She sobbed, heart wrenching, gasping sobs.

"Sweetie, I do this for your sake." Her mother's voice came from outside.

Her words blend with her sobs. "Then for my sake stop it."

"Why are you so stubborn? Teacher and student relationship is unethical, sweetie. You will be subject to so much prejudice..." Her mother trailed off, her voice trembling.

Jiyeon heard her mother choke back something that sounded like a sob, and she realized there was no point in continuing the argument. She sniffed and took deep breaths. Slowly, she rose to her feet, dragged herself back into the bed and lay in a fetal position. She closed her eyes and relived the moments she spent with Jaehyun.