One

Miss Independent

She honestly feels like giving up. She had gone through so many job interviews and she just wants to puke. What is the point of going them when not even one company called her? What is the point of working so hard in college when getting a job is just twice as hard? What is the point in doing anything anyway?

Even though her number one want right now is just to give up and sleep for all eternity, she knows she just cannot simply do that. She cannot just survive by just eating instant noodles all the time. She seriously wanted to toss her instant noodles down from her apartment window that she shared with her friend back in college, Choi Ye Jin but then it would be a waste since that is the only food she could afford. Even eating at the small stall near her apartment is a luxury to her despite its cheap price. She just really have no money in her purse and she is really desperate.

It had been a year now since she graduated college as an honour student. She is still unemployed while the others are already making their way to getting promotions and raises. She is ashamed, feeling like she should hide her degree scroll from everyone. Even her parents are ashamed too since Jihyo seriously looks like a homeless person with her baggy clothes and the black circles under her eyes and due to the fact she is still not making money. Plus, she would probably going to get married late since she just broke up with Kim Jong Kook, or as known as the perfect man for her in her parent's eyes. That just made her parents more ashamed of her.

Jihyo thinks that maybe after all the good luck she had gone through all these years, maybe life decides to throw her in the pit of extreme bad luck.

She sighs, wiping the tables with her head hung low, ashamed that she is cleaning up the small restaurant. She is not embarassed working there, if that’s what you’re thinking. The lady who owned the place is nice enough to let her work there even when she keeps rejecting Jihyo, saying that her perfect pointers and resume deserved to be working in a huge company. Oh, Jihyo feels like crying at that very moment since the lady who barely even know her back then, showers her with so many compliments, making her feel like all of her efforts are worth it even though in reality, she doesn't even deserve a pat in a back and someone saying 'good job'.

“I can’t believe you’re still working here.”

She turns to see the familiar tall man with skin as pale as the moonlight who occasionally help out his mother in the eatery, smiling at her as bright as the sun. She could feel her cheeks redden and she turns the other way, hoping that he wouldn’t notice.

“Well, if some company decided that they want me all along, I wouldn’t be here…. obviously”, she sighs.

“You’ll be putting your resume to good use. I know you will”, he said in a serious tone but still wearing his beautiful pearly smile as he looks at her.

“I hope so. Studying my off for ten years and not getting anything in return made me feel like my whole life is a lie.”

This made the younger chuckles softly and at the same time very nervous as he keeps two tickets behind his back, just hoping that she would say yes even if they actually barely know each other.

“Jihyo, I-“

All of the sudden, she sees suspicious looking men outside of the eatery wearing masks and she lets out a rather high squeak.

“Hey, what’s wrong? Oh, it’s EXO”, Bogum said, rather in a bored tone which made Jihyo raise her eyebrows in surprise.

“Why are you saying it like it’s a normal thing to see?”

Park Bogum just shrug his shoulders and click his tongue. “Well, how do you want me to react? Screaming and jumping around like those girls?” he asks as he points to the girls who are in their school uniforms jumping around and screaming with their phones keep snapping pictures.

“Honestly… I would really want to see that.”

“Hey noona!” he pouts, making Jihyo’s heart flutter. Then she turns to the masked EXO members who disappeared into the eatery just right in front of them.

“Darn, I thought they would go here”, she whines, thinking how lucky she would be to see those boys just right in front of her.

“Do you seriously think they would go here? I mean, just look at this place. The place’s is packed with people”, he exaggerately points towards the empty tables and vacant chairs and all Jihyo could do is sigh.

“Which made it even more perfect? I mean, if you were an idol, would you rather go to a place packed with people or a place deserted like this?”


“Damn, you’re right.”

“I know I am.”

She looks dreamily towards the eatery across the street and she probably look like those girls outside of the restaurant since they were all chased out from bothering the group, from what Jihyo could assumed. It is not as if Jihyo is a fan of the group. It is just that it is fascinating to have a (perhaps) a globally known group just across the street and she founds that funny. They are so lucky to even be under SM Entertainment. Sure, she heard the management of the artists are terrible when it comes to scandals or their health but other than that, the company ace in them.

When she thinks about it, she had never sent her resume to entertainment companies.

“Yah Park Bogum.”

“Y-yeah?” he says, rubbing those tickets with his thumb, his mouth itching to ask her out.

“Would it be funny if I send my resume to SM Entertainment?”

And when she asked that, he couldn’t help but burst out in laughing, his hands clenching to his stomach. He looks up, hoping that the girl would wear the same amused smile or smirk on her face but all he could see is a frown.

Bogum coughs it out, hoping that he would stop laughing. “Are you actually serious?”

Jihyo taps her chin while glaring at the younger, making Bogum uncomfortable under her stare.

“Nope”, she says while pulling out her tongue. Bogum could only sigh since there is nothing else he could do without being hit or kicked by Jihyo. “If I wanted to, I would send it a long time a long time ago. I think I wouldn’t even get the chance anyway.”

“Why is that?”

She shrugs. “I just don’t want to work in entertainment companies. That is all.”

“Well, what about sending your resume to these companies?”

She shot him a glare, making the younger put his hands up in surrender. “I’m just suggesting something, jeez but seriously Jihyo. The whole point of being unemployed is just so you could spread your wings a little bit bigger, step out of your comfort zone. Apply for jobs you never thought yourself you would work in the future. Just because you have a degree in Business Administration, it doesn’t mean your capabilities are limited to that only. Maybe… Just maybe… You’ll be a lot happier once you take that step.”

Her lips twitch into a smirk and it made Bogum internally squeal by the sight. “I can’t believe you’re younger than me. Now I can’t stop imagining you with a long beard meditating in the mountains with that wise brain of yours”, she mumbles.

“I would still look good with a long beard though”, he says with a smirk and Jihyo could only shake her head while rolling her eyes.

As Park Bogum heads to the kitchen to check the inventory, keeping the tickets neatly tucked into the pocket of his skinny jeans as he will ask at another time, Jihyo could only think of her laptop back in her apartment. The younger’s words influence her mind completely. She had totally given up on seeking for jobs in both big and small companies. She had never thought of sending her resume to entertainment companies because well, she have zero interest in applying a job there. She haven’t learn management for three years for nothing. She knows the dark and sneaky ways some companies used to get where there are now and to be honest, she is scared to be involve in it even though there is only a small percentage that she could even get hired.

She sighs. What is the used of her being scared all the time? Sure, Park Bogum’s mother is nice and her eyes are always blessed whenever the younger decides to help when he have free time from college and that the pay is enough for her to pay rent for her shabby apartment but…

What is really the point of her studying hard all the time just so she could become a waitress where EXO wouldn’t even want to go?

She decides that she should send her resume to the infamous company, as a joke. She thinks she would never receive a call since she assumed there would be a lot of applicants more experienced than her applied for the job.

After all, it is not as if she would get it… right?