Chapter 4

Alexithymia

 

Chapter 4

Text Message

 


How do you know? Why are you so sure?” Yuri asked, puzzled along with a slight anger. She had seen how Siwon bullied Jessica. It was nasty. How Siwon bullied her suppressed the cruelty how Jaejoong, the former bully who attended this school and graduated three years ago, bullied her step sister. It was actually strange that Jaejoong finally snapped out of it and fell in love with her. They were happily engaged now.

“Remember that I always accompanied my childhood friend to a psychiatrist?” Seohyun inquired, looking at Stephen who raised an eyebrow.

“…” Jessica looked at Stephen who looked thoughtful. “Yes.” He answered after a while.

“Put things together.” Said Seohyun with a small smile.

Stephen raised his eyebrows, higher than before. “You mean Siwon is your childhood friend you’re destined to marry? That prat?” Stephen raised an eyebrow. “You’re joking.”

“Why would I?” Seohyun asked rhetorically, shaking her head. “Mom terminated the contract when she knew Siwon is some kind of ‘gang’ leader in here. Siwon was happy, as he once told me he felt I’m a sister to him.” Seohyun suddenly shuddered. “Imagine married with your brother, I think I’m going to puke.”

Stephen and Jessica, surprisingly, shared a smirk.

“Then why he bullied me? Donghae is out of question, as he is a complete idiot.” Jessica asked, her eyebrows creased in curiosity. She deserved to know. She always felt Siwon was strange. Whenever he bullied her, he was strange.

As if he wasn’t himself.

As if he didn’t want to it.

As if he was controlled…

“Conspiracy theory.” Seohyun finally answered after a good silent for a minute. “I’m not sure if it’s the truth or not, but it might be worth a shot. The point is, Siwon does that to you, because he’s controlled by someone powerful. Both physically and materially. Wait, is materially even a word?”

“Perhaps.” Yuri grinned. “Hey, isn’t Siwon the heir of Chwe Corp? That company is one of Lumos & Solem Corp, right?” She pondered, looking at Stephen in instant. Stephen scooted further from Yuri. At Seohyun and Jessica’s questioning look, Stephen sighed.

“Lu & So Corporation is my Da’s. Steph is the heir, though, but recently Da’ decides that I should be the heir.” He shrugged almost too casually. At the three girls’ continuous stare, Stephen finally cracked. “I can’t do martial arts.” He muttered, glaring at Yuri who smiled.

“What kind of boy are you?” She sniggered, patting Stephen’s rather muscular arm harshly. Stephen winced, but decided not to reply.

“Anyway,” Seohyun cleared . “Second theory is a secret. If you want to know, befriend Siwon first.”

“I can’t know?” The other two squeaked in unison. “I’m you friend!” Stephen wailed dramatically, and Seohyun raised an eyebrow at that. “I’m the one who taught you about logarithm! I demand compensation!” Yuri tried.

“And I taught you everything about chemistry and forced me to call you unnie via bet, unnie.” Seohyun retorted with a grin. Stephen guffawed at Yuri’s gobsmacked face.

“I did not!” She choked out. Her face was red in embarrassment.

“Whatever,” Seohyun smirked when Tiffany came, holding a tray consisted of her and Jessica’s meal. Behind her were incredibly reluctant Sooyoung and Yoona, each holding a tray with ramyeons.

“She’s a witch.” Yoona explained with a mumble, sending Tiffany a dead glare. Sooyoung did the same, but quickly interrupted by a passing certain girl. Yoona sniggered, but still fixed her glare to Tiffany, which she brushed off very easily.

Jessica was impressed.


 

Ever since then, Jessica felt her life was improved.

Donghae, Seunghyun and Wooyoung were still sending her death glares and death threats occasionally, those didn’t surprise Jessica. But to see Siwon leaving her alone, even when Tiffany isn’t around her, now that is surprising. Jessica once passed by him, alone, and Donghae lunged at her, attempting to do something nasty. But much to their surprise, Siwon hastily held him back.

“No,” Jessica heard him mutter. “We are not going to do that ever again.” He warned, tightening his grip on Donghae’s arm. “If I caught you messing with Jung ever again…” he left the words unsaid and released his grip.

Jessica may thought Siwon was just acting. It might be the calm before the storm. He might be planning for some bigger revenge, after Tiffany is out of the picture.

“Tch, why are you like this, Siwon? You’re the one who always ask me to do this.” Wooyoung questioned, stepping closer to Jessica. Or Siwon. Whatever he is doing, Siwon definitely looked like he was protecting Jessica.

“You did it voluntarily.” Siwon snapped. “Now let’s go. Nichkhun won’t be happy if we stall time to taste his soup!” He said, urging his ‘friends’ to go. Before that, he casted a glance to Jessica, who was taken aback by the action.

He was apologizing.

His action created a thousand questions inside her head.

After all, he kind of gave her a concussion two months ago.


The following days were peaceful.

No Siwon. No Donghae. No Wooyoung. No Seunghyun.

Perfect.

But that means no Hyoyeon also. No running from the four means no visiting the infirmary.

“You rarely visited her nowadays, on school’s infirmary,” Yoona stated, chugging her soda she bought during lunch break. It was free period at the time. “Hyoyeon is dying to meet you.”

“Tiffany always drag me to her twin.” Jessica said matter-of-factly. “I couldn’t say ‘no’ to her.”

“Learn to,” Yoona replied again, chugging her soda once more. “Try practising with Stephen. His charm isn’t as powerful, but he has another charm. And that charm, my friend, is deadly.”

“What’s his charm?” Sooyoung asked, curious.

Yoona shrugged “Beats me. Yuri told me that it’s deadly. I don’t know the details.” She suddenly looked stiff and glanced to her phone. It seemed that her phone vibrated and she was surprised. Typical, she was easy to surprise.

“Stephen.” Yoona muttered. “He’s on rooftop. He just finished Mr. Huang’s surprise quiz. Damn, he’s smart!”

“Cool. I’d like him to be my personal mentor.” Sooyoung said dreamily. “Mr Huang’s quizzes are legendary, aren’t they?”

“Indeed,” Yoona nodded her agreement. They both ignored Jessica’s frantic head-shaking. “It’s not that hard.” Jessica said monotonously.

Yoona only rolled her eyes. “Blah blah I can’t hear you.” Sooyoung laughed out loud when Jessica delivered a hard forehead slap to Yoona, sending her tumbling backwards.

“Aww get well soon,” Sooyoung cooed mockingly, sniggering at Yoona whom sent her a look of disdain. “Let’s go upstairs, shall we? After this period, we’re going home right?”

“Yeah. Anyway, why’s Ti-“ Her sentence was abruptly interrupted by Sooyoung, whom hastily stood and went out. Yoona and Jessica had no choice but to follow her.

“Why’s Ti-“ Jessica attempted to ask after catching up with Sooyoung.

“Sick.” Sooyoung answered quickly. “I think. Ask Stephen about it for more details.”

“Hn.” Jessica nodded, discreetly glancing at her phone while she walks a step behind them.

Tiffany XI-4

Jessi, can you meet me up later at 7PM on Okcat?? I miss u

“No way a sick person…”

“What was that?” Yoona asked, her bat-like ears caught Jessica’s voice underneath her breath. “I heard you mutter something.”  

“Nothing, just Tiffany wanted to meet me later at 7 PM.” Jessica answered truthfully, missing a ghost of horror on Sooyoung’s face. “And I wonder why she wants to when she’s sick?”

“Listen to me, Sica.” Sooyoung breathed, her usual playfulness display on her face turned serious. “Don’t go.” She said seriously, before turning her heels to ascend the stairs.

“Why?” Jessica inquired, halting her steps. “Tell me the reason!”

“Find Seohyun.” Yoona said briskly. “Or possibly, if you’re not hardly traumatized, Siwon.”

And with that, the two left Jessica at the bottom of the stairs, thinking to herself.

“Hn.” Jessica sighed. Sooyoung and Yoona may always spouting nonsense facts, but they are facts alright. It has to be true.

Me

Sorry, I can’t.


On a windy rooftop, a lone person sitting alone near the railing looked over the panorama of the city, unconsciously smiling with their eyes forming a pair of perfect crescent moons. Just then, their phone buzzed beside them.

My Sica

Sorry, I can’t.

The person gritted their teeth, then banged the phone to the floor.


“ing hell!” Stephen cried, his eyes bulging when he saw his beloved smartphone got stepped by Sooyoung. “Get your gigantic foot away from my Ppany!” He wailed, hugging his phone tightly. It was fine though, just a small scratch.

“You scarred my Ppany!” He gave her an accusing glare. Sooyounng groaned. “Oh come on you named your IPhone with your sister’s name?!”

“Steph is Steph Ppany is Ppany!” He retorted childishly. “And now she’s scarred for life,” He muttered, before sulking on the shade of tree. The two Shikshins shared an exasperated groan.

“Her friends called her Pany though,” Yoona said, crossing her arms.

“No they didn’t.” Stephen looked incredulously to Yoona. “They call her Fany.”

Sooyoung gave an apologetic smile to Jessica, who seemed bewildered at Stephen’s reply.