Hidden Words

Deals and Bets

Surprisingly, they did devote some time for actual work. They are inside the hotel room and discussing the plans for the resort. Remember what Krystal’s office or Myungsoo’s office looked like? Their hotel room looks exactly like that. Giant-sized maps were stuck to the wall and pictures of landmarks are strewn everywhere. Even the TV is hooked up on Krystal’s phone to show the pictures she took.

 

“I’m telling you, we have to pick the iconic structures. Big Ben, London Eye, the Bridge. It makes the whole London experience.” Myungsoo says.

 

“But why should we just only show them what they could see when they go to London? We should show the people the experience itself. The red busses, the tea time. Have a queen sit there somewhere.” Krystal argues back.

 

“We’re not going anywhere with this. This is our last day in London. Might as well go around as tourists. Can’t we have fun?” Myungsoo was actually thinking of doing that from the start. He wanted to go around London and maybe finally have his wife back. He thought the change of scenery from Korea and the company would get her mind out of work, but no, she insists on finishing their task. “You owe me this one. We were supposed to watch the tennis finals yesterday, but you just had to stop by every souvenir shop and look at “What makes London, London” right?”

 

Krystal was on the verge of just staying put in the hotel room and think of ideas. But, it is her fault that Myungsoo’s plans never came true. All this time, Myungsoo was letting her choose the itinerary. She saw the paper wherein Myungsoo wrote down the places he wanted them to visit. Mostly places that she definitely would love. “Fine. But as soon as we get back to Korea, we’re finishing that report.”

 

“Let me tour you to London. I don’t think I mentioned it before, but during the past years, I’d been here twice.” Myungsoo took her hand and she just let it. As soon as Myungsoo turned his back, Krystal smirked.

 

__

“And here, is Baker Street. The home of your most favorite detective.” Krystal was the one being the tour guide now. “Yeah, I forgot to tell you, I was in London for a month last year.”

 

“You’re no fun to be with. I was supposed to be the one looking good while showing you around.” Myungsoo was pouting, yes pouting.

 

“Stop that. You’re not cute. How about we take turns in showing each other the best place they think of? To make this a little more fun since you’re complaining so much.”

 

__

“Why did you bring me to the Gherkin? It’s an office, I never knew you would be that interested with work?” Krystal took him to 30 St. Mary Axe. Myungsoo was baffled on why she took that chance to show him an office. “I get that the architectural design is different from the rest, but you just lost your chance to show me the London Eye, you know?”

 

“I know. But this is my way of saying thanks to you.” Krystal was silent while talking to Myungsoo. “Don’t you remember when we were like five years old? You showed me your drawing of that building. And ever since then I decided to study Architecture.”

 

“Yeah. And then I followed you in loving architecture, because you look the happiest when you look at buildings and stuff. And I wanted to see that everyday.” They were not looking at each other, each of them was scared to face what is happening to them.

 

“There’s more to this building. It was when…” Krystal trailed off, not wanting to continue what she was saying.

 

“When what?” Myungsoo finally looked at her. Krystal did not answer. He took her hand and started to walk.

 

“Where are we going?” Krystal was not reluctant to follow him, but they were in a moment. She was a little pissed off that Myungsoo was changing the subject. He did not answer her until they reached the place. St. Bride’s Church. It was actually in an alleyway where the facade of the structure is seen in full.

 

“This is St. Bride’s Church.” He let go of her hand and did not look at her. Too afraid to look at her. “If I had it my way, I wanted for us to get married here.” He began to turn to Krystal. “Soojung, believe it or not, I had it all planned out in my head. The story you told earlier, it was the time I knew I’d marry you. Yeah, five years old, I know.” He chuckled lightly. “I thought that since you found love in looking at structures, you’d appreciate a wedding inside a church that looks like a wedding cake. I maybe wrong, but that’s what I dreamt of.”

 

Krystal was not looking at him, tears were streaming down her eyes. She can’t speak. She wanted to tell him how right he was. They were supposed to go here yesterday but she deliberately took that out from the plans. She did not want to cry in front of him.

 

Myungsoo was looking at her now. He just wants to hear something, anything from her. So that it was his imagination creating a havoc in his mind. He was on the verge of crying. “I think we should just go.”

 

He started to turn around, but Krystal spoke up. “You’re right. I hate it that you’re right.” Her voice was starting to crack but she does not care. She turned to look at Myungsoo. “That very moment you showed me that building and made me realize how great architecture was, it was the moment I knew you were different from anybody else. You were my best friend at it made me realize that you understood me so much.” She paused to breathe.

 

“Right now, it scares me. It scares me how much you still remember about me, about what I want in my life. Honestly, there was just one thing I wanted. To be with that someone who knew me. Knew me enough to know that the day I’d be married to the love of my life, in this church would be the happiest day of my life.” Myungsoo slowly walked up to her and pulled her into a hug. Krystal continued to cry and talk at the same time.

 

“Those five years were hell for me. I wanted to hate you so much, but the most I could do that was a week. After that everyday I missed my best friend, my husband, the one who understood me most. I was scared to face the fact that maybe you did not really love me and that it was all part of your plan. It hurt me so much but I did not even care, I just wanted to be with you. I got scared and decided to try my hardest to take you off my mind. But my heart still screams for you. All the time!” She pulled away from him to look at him in the eyes. He was also crying.

 

“I knew I hurt you so much. I can’t stand the fact that I did that to you. That I did not have the courage to back out of it, or even tell you the truth. I was afraid that you’d think I was never in love with you. I left because I wanted the memories we shared from when we were still young. I wanted those memories. I wanted you to have those memories. Not over thinking of those moments. Everyday I wanted to fly back to Korea. Not a single day did I not cry for the mistake I made. That I ruined it all. I know I said sorry a thousand times, but I’m sorry, I don’t know if you’ll ever forgive me.” He had his head down, and couldn’t bear to look at Krystal.

 

She was smiling and hit his chest. “Idiot! Were you not even listening to a word I said?” She reached out to touch his head, both of them crying their eyes out. “I just wanted to have you back in my life. I forgave you long ago. Long before you even came back. I was waiting for you.”

 

Myungsoo slowly smiled, “So we’re okay? But why were you pushing me away ever since I came back?”

“That? I wanted to see how much I missed you. I wanted to see how much those five years changed my feelings. I was so wrong.”

 

“I think I understood that when you wanted to do it again with me.” Krystal instantly became red all over. Myungsoo laughed and started to wipe both of the traces of tears from their faces.

 

“You know, I can still take all those things I said back.” Krystal was smiling, loving the feeling.

 

“I won’t believe you though. We’re outside a church now, being truthful is a must.” He smirked, they were back. Myungsoo reached out to touch Krystal’s face. “Soojung, how about if we get married again?” He got down on one knee to show her his sincerity. “I promise to make everything right again.”

 

“Are we going to get married here?” Krystal was crying again. “Now, there’s tears again. I hate you for this.” She was smiling and was holding back the tears.

 

“That’s the only thing I would want. Get married to you, in this place full of memories. So, will you marry me again, Mrs. Kim?” Myungsoo did not know why but he was still nervous asking her the question.

 

“Of course, you idiot!” She knelt down with him. He hugged her and they stayed that way for a while. “You know, you still have to give me a ring right?” She was trying to lighten up their mood. They cried so much today.

 

“Definitely. You choose the design and I get to have you.” Myungsoo lifted her up and spun her around.

 

“Deal.” And they sealed it with a kiss.