The Way

In Exchange
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was an ordinary Monday morning, except there was only one song on replay in Kim Taeyeon’s ears.

 

Music is a fascinating element. It is essential for many while some could endure a life without a beat to bring some colours into their lives. Taeyeon was undoubtedly the first type, in fact, she was inseparable with music, any kind of music that suits her taste. Normally she’d prefer to be surrounded by instrumental or lighthearted afternoon jazz music, but today was different - fairly different from her routine with relaxing rhythms. Instead, sounds that were coming out of her EarPods were intense, a bit strained, loud but overflowing with passion. Admittedly, it wasn’t the best vocal out there, neither was the song sung with impressive skills or a wide vocal range, but somehow it was special. Special in its unique way that drew Taeyeon’s full attention.


“The way”. Taeyeon flipped her music player to check the song title. A foreign pop song that made into the Western charts before the original singer became a great hit. She heard this song a while back ago but never did pay much attention to it. Rather, she dismissed it just like any other English songs because she didn’t catch the lyrics initially, then she lost interest in giving these songs another listen. Post-millennium Western songs weren’t really her cup of tea. Well, she was trained to sing them during trainee years but she was more fond of good old songs, Korean or English. It was surprising how she still hadn’t got tired of replaying the same song over and over again since early morning, or last night after the music producer handed her another CD copy. Taeyeon had been listening to the same recording for almost three hours in total.


She had no intention to shuffle the playlist. She rolled down the car window to let the breeze caress her cheeks. At this time of day in Seoul, cars were rushing their own ways to offices, no one had the luxury to spare a glance at this huge black van with heavily tinted windows, so she could afford to have some fresh air once in a while. Indeed, a refreshment was necessary, Taeyeon desperately needed to focus on the melody and that rich voice looping in her ears…there were so many details awaiting for her to pick up, to criticise and to find rooms for improvements. The least thing she needed was to let her mind wander off with the pleasant sounds.

 

Yet Taeyeon couldn’t help but wonder - what would she sound like if it was live? Could there be a higher expectation for her?

 

 

Frankly, it was nothing but a stupid question, she’d get her answer by this afternoon anyways.

 

 

 


Eight years? Seven years? Taeyeon had lost count of how many years had passed since her last visit to the trainee’s practice room. Everything was remotely similar to her memories of this room. Plain concrete walls, a dozen huge spotlights from above, polished hard wooden floor with coloured tapes forming intercrossing lines as dance position markers. The only visible change would be those advanced technology equipments in the far corner, all plugged in, ready for a blast of music, ready for sweat and blood to be shed. Needless to say, Taeyeon didn’t miss one bit of this…entrapped practice room. The fact that there was one-way full heigh mirrors felt like a panopticon without the oval or circle design. Taeyeon used to detest this place for it witnessed countless weak side of hers, it was also a horrifying place where trainees would get scolded or even announced to be kicked out. But now that she was no longer under pressure, perhaps her pre-existing view on this place could be changed.


Taeyeon ventured into the room with two programme producers. Unable to contain their excitement, they were all smiles while talking about the unlimited possibilities if she decided to join their reality shows. Unwillingly to upset the producers (who had excellent commercial relationships with her company), Taeyeon pretended to be listening intently, nodded absentmindedly upon listening to their future prospects with Taeyeon herself in the picture. She sat upright on the high stool, hands clasped together between her legs, her gaze darted to the clock on the wall. It struck two, which meant another fifteen minutes to the arrival of the protagonist of the day.


‘Would you like to watch her perform over there, Taeyeon?’ one of the men jabbed his finger at the mirror - actually the small room behind the one-way see-through mirror - where many instructors and the CEO used to observe trainees without startling them. 


Taeyeon looked at the mirror only to see her own reflection. She had always wondered what would the view be like inside that…chamber. It was a tempting idea to hide behind walls, but the action was unethical, also god knows if the performer liked being watched covertly? Taeyeon for one, would certainly feel violated and offended if she was under observation without giving her consent. There was another thing she needed to confirm too.


‘I’d let her decide, it’s her performance after all.’ Taeyeon told them a selective answer, masking the intention behind her honest words.


‘Okay, we just got a text saying she’ll be here any minute.’ The producer showed Taeyeon his phone screen, it was a text message consisted of one simple sentence and a smily face emoticon. It read: “Already at the entrance, will be there in 5 mins :)” 


Taeyeon gave another nod in acknowledgement. She rose to her feet and helped the others to move the stools to the far back, leaving the centre spotless, all prepared for a performance.

 


A soft click broke the silence, in walked a woman and the guitarist. Taeyeon turned by reflex, facing the incomer with an unreadable expression. Their first encounter back in the recording studio was too brief to be rooted in Taeyeon’s memory, but she did recognise that jet black curly hair and that innocent eyes. With the focused lighting and more time on hand, now Taeyeon could study the latter’s features in detail. Prominent nose that crooked slightly at the tip, glimmering eyes which held stars within, upturned plump pink lips and fair skin…Taeyeon had to admit the woman standing before her was visually pleasing - maybe aesthetic would be a better phrase - even if she was currently frozen to the spot.


‘Am…Am I in the wrong room?’ The woman frowned, confused by Kim Taeyeon’s unannounced presence. She didn’t step into the room but kept peeking from behind the door.


‘No, please do come in, Tiffany. Sorry we didn’t inform you about Taeyeon, she’s just dropping by.’ The producer beckoned the woman over and the latter obeyed, albeit a little hesitantly. He guided her and the guitarist (who was also stunned by Taeyeon’s surprise visit) to her stool in the centre, ten metres away from where Taeyeon was seated.


Tiffany sat down with uneasiness lingering at the pit of her stomach. It was written all over her face, it was a funny contrast between her and the company’s guitarist, the latter surely had worked with many other popular figures, while she, Tiffany, was still a trainee.


‘I’m sure you’ve heard of Taeyeon, but we gotta do a proper intro still, right?’ The producer gestured toward the famous singer behind him. ‘This is Taeyeon-ssi. And Taeyeon-ssi, this is Tiffany, our hidden treasure slash potential winner of this season’s The Voice.’ 


‘Nice to meet you, Tiffany-ssi.’ Taeyeon extended her hand out to initiate a handshake, Tiffany took it and repeated the same words with a polite bow.


‘It’s my honour to meet you, sunbae-nim.’ Tiffany’s face became flushed. ‘And PD-nim, please don’t give me weird titles.’ She was almost complaining, but the producers simply let out a playful laugh. They must be pretty close then. Taeyeon thought, well, everyone has their favourite. Let’s just hope this Tiffany didn’t pass the audition because of social connections but not abilities. She would have an answer in a matter of time.


‘We were just talking about The Voice’s new season, now that you’re here Tiffany…can we hav

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter