Death 00

The Wanderer

Every car came to a stop as the traffic light turned green at the pedestrians crosswalk. About thirty peoples were there when they mindlessly and hurriedly crossed the road.

An elderly woman falling down in her knees when a lady in office outfit knocked onto her, rushing off after. Almost immediately, a boy with a orange beanie witnessed the scene and he got off his bicycle to help her up.

A droplet fell on my cheek.

Smiling at the heartwarming sight, I hugged the grocery; avoiding brash peoples as I walked away. This was Seoul after all, the most vibrant and busy city in the whole Korea.

--

Blankly staring out at the rainy morning, I waited with my phone tightly in my grasp. The harsh wind through the slightly opened window somehow eased my anxious state of mind.

Minutes before, I received a phone call from my absent seatmate once the teacher dismissed us for lunch break. He was breathing heavily, the pitter patter of rain at the background. Zhang yixing, he sounded like he was in trouble when he spoke his first word, "Please." And the call ended.

Loads of possibilities were lingering on my mind. I stood up, right on cue, my phone rang which I answered without hesitation. "I need you, please come." Along that line, I could almost hear a name, a familiar name. "Where." It was the only word I could say. It wasn't the right time to panic.

"Hyunsae Street 1193." As he told the address, I jotted them down on my notebook, memorizing them after.

I didn't know why, but I must hurry - maybe because he's my best friend, maybe it's the broken tone in his voice, maybe it's the sobbing. Pulling out an umbrella, I dashed out of the school.

I halted in my tracks when I spotted a lone figure at the deserted graveyard under the pounding rain. Getting closer to him, I noticed the silent mourning over the tomb before him and held out the umbrella to shield him from rain.

Yixing mumbled a name with his face buried in his his palms. Just the name, it shook me. It sounded awfully familiar. Curiosity got over me and I peered up at the said gravestone.

Lu Han 1990-2013

I stumbled backward when nausea attacked me all of sudden. On that funeral picture...

Was the childhood friend Yixing talked so fondly of. The boy that was an elite in the most prestigious intitution in Seoul. The boy who always hung out with Yixing during weekends. He was also the boy I've seen on the street with orange beanie and the deceased boy reported on the news this morning.

"I'm sorry."