Forever [Xiao x Hwanhee]

UP10TION ONESHOTS

 

“What? But you can’t leave just like that!” Hwanhee complains, tugging Dongyeol’s sleeve.

 

“I know, Hwan-ah… But my dad’s job requires him to move to China. I don’t want to leave you either, but…” Dongyeol bites his lip. “I have to.”

 

Hwanhee sighs and looks down. He’s trying so hard not to cry right now.

 

After all, he and Dongyeol had been friends for nearly 9 years now, since they were just tiny 5 year olds. Their friendship is one that’s pretty much unbreakable. They play together just like brothers, doing mischief, going to and from school together, have lunch and dinner in each other’s houses- they even have their own fights now and then, but they’re quickly resolved with an apology.

 

They just can’t do anything without each other.

 

Especially Hwanhee, who practically relies on Dongyeol to protect him. From a young age, Hwanhee always had a weak body; hence his best friend volunteers to be his bodyguard (Hwanhee always whines about how ‘bodyguard’ makes him sound like a damsel in distress, but he eventually gives up after seeing how much Dongyeol likes it).

 

“T-then who will be with me now? Who’ll be my bodyguard? My brother? My best friend? Who’ll tease me about my glasses and make sure I arrive home safely? Tell me, Yeol-ah! Who?”

 

By this point, Hwanhee can’t hold back anymore. His sobs are unstoppable, wetting his cheeks with salty tears. Dongyeol bites his lip. He can’t explain the pain he feels when he sees Hwanhee in such a state.

 

Hwanhee had always been much more than a best friend to him. At first, he thinks of it as nothing more than a tight-bonded, brotherly relationship, but as years passed, he noticed a few things. Like how he blushes so easily when Hwanhee holds his hand, or when he finishes a soccer match and immediately goes to hug his best friend, who will congratulate him whether if it was a win or loss. When Hwanhee fixes his hair and when he whines at Dongyeol to hurry up or else they’re gonna be late for school- he finds it really cute. His urge to kiss Hwanhee when he pouts, and his longing for the bell to ring so he can meet the spectacled boy in the cafeteria.

 

All of it. Hwanhee, Hwanhee, Hwanhee.

 

There’s no other explanation. Dongyeol is completely whipped for his best friend, and he simply can’t live without him by his side. And he definitely can’t imagine anyone else being Hwanhee’s bodyguard.

 

Dongyeol hugs the shorter boy tightly, burying his face in Hwanhee’s chocolate-scented hair. He’ll miss this scent. It’s his favorite, and he wonders how Hwanhee always manages to smell like chocolate despite sweating or not showering for a whole day.

 

Without realizing, the two boys spend more than a few minutes just like that: holding each other tightly and sobbing loudly.

 

“I… I d-don’t know, Hwan-ah. But you have to find someone, okay? And be sure to call and message me everyday, a-and if people still bully you then I’ll… I’ll find a way to go back!” Dongyeol declares. He knows it’s stupid- impossible even, but he says it anyway.

 

“I can’t think of anyone else but you to take that role,” Hwanhee hiccups. “I miss you so much already.”

 

“Let’s make the most out of the remaining days, okay?” Dongyeol says softly, taking Hwanhee’s hand in his.

 

“Okay…”

 

~~~

 

“You promise to come back right?” Hwanhee asks for the nth time. Dongyeol chuckles. His best friend had been crying the whole way to the airport (he actually finds it a little cute). He holds up his left pinky (the right one is practically molded into Hwanhee’s, they haven’t let go of each other’s hands since morning), and motions Hwanhee to do the same.

 

He snorts at Dongyeol’s childish way of keeping promises, but he does it anyway. Their pinkies link together.

 

“I promise,” Dongyeol answers.

 

Hwanhee really doesn’t want to, but as the speakers announce the boarding time, he eventually lets go of Dongyeol’s hand.

 

~~~

 

4 years later

 

Hwanhee sighs at the display of ice cream. “You’re out of Belgian Chocolate?” he whines at the cashier. Sungjun, whom he had gotten to know over the past few years, shrugs.

 

“The stock’s limited for that one, kid.”

 

Hwanhee pouts and scans again.

 

“By the way, has your boyfriend contacted you?” Sungjun asks curiously. The younger of the two almost chokes on his own spit. He coughs for a while before glaring at Sungjun.

 

“He is not my boyfriend!” he protests.

 

Sungjun laughs. “That’s what all the tsunderes say~”

 

“What does that even mean?” Hwanhee asks. “You’re using your weeb words again, hyung.”

 

Sungjun rolls his eyes. “It’s called Japanese. Hurry up, what do you want?”

 

Hwanhee taps his chin. He opens his mouth to answer, but gasps when he feels someone hug him from behind.

 

“Two of the bubblegum ones, please~” a voice says. Sungjun stares, and Hwanhee frees himself from the stranger’s grip before turning around. His eyes widen.

 

“Yeol?”

 

“Hi, Hwan-ah! Long time no see, huh?” Dongyeol greets, hugging him tightly. “I miss you so much!”

 

“Ah, so this is the Dongyeol you’ve been talking about,” Sungjun whistles. He gets to work, placing ice cream in two cups while Dongyeol and Hwanhee talk.

 

“You-you didn’t tell me you were coming back!” Hwanhee stutters. He’s at a loss for words, not even able to cry in joy at his best friend’s sudden appearance. “I miss you a lot, you don’t even know!”

 

And Hwanhee can’t keep the tears in. He bursts into tears right then and there, and he’s glad it’s a weekday with only a few customers in. Dongyeol holds him and shoots Sungjun a sheepish smile.

 

“I’m paying,” he says while handing Sungjun some money. “This is a Chinese coin,” the cashier says amusedly.

 

“Oh , um… here you go.” Hwanhee can’t help but laugh a little at his friend’s carelessness.

 

They get their ice cream and Dongyeol all but drags Hwanhee to a seat. The older calmed down a bit, and they eat their ice cream in peace.

 

“You’ve… changed a lot, Yeol,” Hwanhee sniffles. Dongyeol laughs and hands him a tissue.

 

“Is that a good thing?” he asks. He’s really smiley, Hwanhee notes. Just as much as ever.

 

“Yeah, I guess. Taller, a little buff, and… your hair…”

 

“Oh, this?” Dongyeol smiles, motioning to his orange-dyed hair. “It’s newly dyed, actually. Before this I had brown, and before brown I did pink.”

 

The conversation flows, and soon enough they’re laughing, chatting, and catching up just like they’ve done 4 years ago. Hwanhee learns that Dongyeol uses ‘Xiao’ as his Chinese name while living in the country, and how it takes a while to adjust without Hwanhee there. He also tells Hwanhee about making friends, but how none of them can compare to Hwanhee.

 

“There’s also this one time when I accidentally spoke full on Korean to this cashier guy- I didn’t realize!”

 

Hwanhee laughs a lot. He listens to the things Dongyeol (or Xiao) has to say, and occasionally tell his own stories. It feels nice. So nice to have him back.

 

~~~

 

It’s getting late, and the two boys are still full of energy, walking back home. “You’re going to my house?” Hwanhee asks.

 

“My parents are there already. We’ll be moving a few blocks down, a little farther from before, but… it’ll do for you to get some exercise, right, Hwan-ah?” Dongyeol giggles. Hwanhee whines and hits him.

 

“You didn’t change at all, you know… Still the same Hwanhee I love,” Dongyeol says. Hwanhee blushes.

 

“What?”

 

“Ah, that slipped out. Oh well, might as well say it.” Dongyeol stops walking and pulls Hwanhee close. “Lee Hwanhee, I’ve liked you for years now. And um… I don’t have any speech planned out but we’re still gonna do this.”

 

“W-what?” Hwanhee repeats. His head is spinning with the close proximity.

 

“Here we go… I like you a lot, as in the love kind of like. Just so there won’t be any misunderstandings here. It really hurt when I had to move, because I knew that you were more than a best friend or a brother. I really wanted us to be more than that. But we were young, and I guess we still are? I don’t know, I’ll let you be the judge of that. But do you think we are though? Because-”

 

“Don’t get sidetracked, idiot.”

 

“Oh, right. Anyway, the point is… I really love you, Hwan-ah. And after years apart, my feelings haven’t changed. In fact, it’s growing by the day, especially today since I get to see you right here in front of me after so long… and… I love you so much,” Dongyeol finishes. He swoops down and presses their lips together, leaving Hwanhee’s mind spinning faster than ever.

 

Hwanhee doesn’t know why, but he kisses him back. Maybe he likes Dongyeol a little. Or a lot. Probably the latter.

 

So there they are, after being separated for so long, finally back together. When they pull away, both are breathing heavily. “So… boyfriends? I’m only guessing of course, so-”

 

“Yes, Dongyeol,” Hwanhee shushes. He hesitates, but finally asks, “You’re going to stay here right? Forever?”

 

Dongyeol nods. “I’m staying.” Hwanhee sighs in relief.

 

“Anyway, l-let’s go back home. It’s late.” Dongyeol smiles, drapes his jacket over Hwanhee’s shoulders, and takes his hand again. “What are you trying to be? One of those cliché movie boyfriends?” Hwanhee snorts. Dongyeol just laughs. “I know your heart must be beating really fast right now, right?”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 


For: Lee_Junnie

A/N: Hi~ Thanks for the wait, I hope you liked this oneshot hehe ^^ As usual, please leave comments, and feel free to talk to me!

Twitter

-chocaramell