Neighbor [Wei x Xiao]

UP10TION ONESHOTS

Dongyeol doesn’t quite know why he’s standing dumbly in front of his neighbor’s door with a bag full off snacks he got from the convenience store. It’s really cold outside, and he’d much rather be in his comfortable bed, snuggling with his giant teddy bear and sipping on hot chocolate. He puts his weight on one leg and knocks.

 

“Hyung? It’s me, Dongyeol, your neighbor. Are you home? Hyung? Let me in, please.”

 

It’s not that Dongyeol has a soft spot for Sungjun or anything. In fact, it’s the complete opposite.

 

He’s just Dongyeol’s loud neighbor that does nothing but have fun and around with his boyfriend. Being honest and all, Dongyeol hates it. They were always so damn loud, especially at night. He couldn’t sleep sometimes and even went as far as buying earplugs to help him get some shut-eye. Having tons of projects for university is already stressful enough for the poor brunette, and having distractions definitely didn’t help.

 

Of course, Dongyeol speaks up whenever he can, telling Sungjun to ‘shut the up, hyung’ whenever he passes the older. Sungjun would just laugh it off and wraps an arm around the waist of his boyfriend. Gyujin is his name, Dongyeol remembers. He only does because Sungjun does nothing but talk about him when they’re not together. When they are, they are loud. Very loud. So, as much as Dongyeol would spend his days telling Sungjun to ‘shut the up’ he prefers to avoid the couple.

 

So it’s safe to say, Dongyeol dislikes Sungjun.

 

But one day the loud disruptions stopped.

 

At first, Dongyeol finds it extremely nice. It felt amazing to finally get some peace. No loud neighbors, no having in the middle of the night on a weekday, no loud music and banging from next door, just complete silence.

 

Days passed, weeks, and finally, at 2 months, Dongyeol’s worry for his neighbor got the better of him. He appreciates the silence- he really does- but it’s just so… off to him. It doesn’t feel right, and before he can think twice, Dongyeol finds himself in front of Sungjun’s door, wearing only a sweater, shorts, and socks.

 

And that leads him to his current activity. He had been knocking and calling out for Sungjun for at least 10 minutes. “Hyung, please! Just open the damn door, will you?” Dongyeol is pleading by this point. His feet is tired from standing and his knuckles are getting red with all the knocking. “I know you’re not okay. You haven’t gone out of the house a lot, I haven’t seen your smile in ages and it’s really… I can’t just ignore it!”

 

Just when he’s about to knock again, the door opens. Dongyeol would have either hugged or punched Sungjun, but he holds himself back from doing either. “Finally- whoa… you look… worse than usual…”

 

Indeed, he is faced with a very tired-looking Sungjun. The older’s eye bags are big and dark, his hair a mess, his glasses nowhere to be seen, and his eyes slightly red, as if he had been crying. Sleep doesn’t seem to be anything he had been doing either.

 

“What do you want, Dongyeol? I was trying to sleep, god,” Sungjun growls, his eyebrows sewed together in annoyance. Dongyeol’s mouth falls open. He hasn’t really thought of what to say once Sungjun opens the door. ‘Hi, you’ve been really quiet, can you start being noisy again’ or ‘what the happened to you’? Dongyeol decides on the latter.

 

“What the happened to you, hyung?” he blurts out. Sungjun’s frown deepens and he immediately attempts to close the door. Fortunately, Dongyeol expected that and already has his feet between the door and its frame to avoid it from closing.

 

The unfortunate thing, however, is that Dongyeol is only wearing socks.

 

“ OUCH!!” he screeches. It’s loud enough to wake up the whole apartment, being the middle of the night and whatnot. Sungjun’s eyes widen and he immediately pulls Dongyeol in before shutting and locking the door. “What were you thinking? Someone could’ve thought I murdered someone or something,” he hisses urgently. “Hyung, you almost cut my feet off! Why are you screaming at me?” Dongyeol whines, peeling his sock off his right foot to inspect the red marks that the door had imprinted.

 

Sungjun simply sighs heavily and trudges past his guest. Dongyeol pouts at him before turning his attention back to his foot. “It hurts…” he mumbles. “Come to the kitchen,” Sungjun calls.

 

“Why?”

 

“Unless you don’t want that thing treated then come here.”

 

Dongyeol grumbles. He slowly (and painfully) made his way towards the kitchen and sits down on a chair, placing the plastic bag on top of the table.

 

It’s quiet as Sungjun tends to the red marks. Dongyeol bites his bottom lip, feeling the burn of the ointment. “Sorry for being a trouble,” he apologizes. Sungjun shrugs. “Why’d you come here?” he asks.

 

Dongyeol shrugs. “I just… wanted to check up on you. I don’t really know why I came here, but I… felt the need to…?” he trails off. An awkward silence falls in place. “Why would you want to check up on me?” Sungjun raises an eyebrow in question. Dongyeol can’t deny he looks attractive with that expression. Just a little bit. Or a lot.

 

He swallows the thought. “Well, uh… you know, you’ve been really quiet these past weeks. It got me wondering. I rarely see you outside and when I do, you’re never smiling. I mean, I know I should be glad I can sleep peacefully, but… but seeing you like this… I know there’s something wrong, hyung. I wanna do something to help. I need to! It’s not right for you to- to not smile,” he explains desperately.

 

“It kinda hurts me too, seeing you in this state.”

 

Sungjun stays silent after the explanation, Dongyeol’s afraid that Sungjun would think of him as some annoying guy who just wants to know everyone’s problems.

 

“Can you… can you tell me what’s wrong?”

 

Dongyeol’s fidgeting, and Sungjun sighs. He takes a roll of gauze from the box and wraps it twice around the younger’s right foot. “Gyujin and I broke up. That’s all,” he states simply. Although his voice didn’t waver, Dongyeol can tell Sungjun’s about to cry. “I-I’m sorry for asking,” he whispers, afraid that Sungjun will suddenly break down. He looks so fragile right now.

 

Sungjun shrugs as he finishes. He stands up and walks over to the cupboard, where he places the kit where it belongs. He looks as tall as ever, but noticeably skinnier. Dongyeol frowns. As if he wasn’t skinny enough before. “I appreciate the concern,” Sungjun says, wiping his eyes with his back still Dongyeol. “And, um, do you want food or something?”

 

“Oh, actually!” Dongyeol says, “I brought you some snacks.” Sungjun’s eyes sparkle just a bit at the mention of snacks. “What kind?” Dongyeol pulls out a bag of salmon-flavored chips that has a sticker that says ‘+15%’. “How did you know those are my favorites?” the older boy murmurs in wonder.

 

Dongyeol scoffs, “Because there’s literally always a pile of empty bags of these in the trash. Of course I know.” Sungjun gives him a small smile, and he returns it.

 

“Also,” Dongyeol whips out a 3DS from the bag. “Care for a Pokémon battle?”

 

“You’re gonna regret facing my Mega Lucario, kid.”

 

“That’s pretty useless once it faces my Aegislash.”

 

~~~

 

Within the next 2 hours, Dongyeol and Sungjun talked to each other more than they did their whole time of knowing each other. The snacks were eaten quickly, and Dongyeol, being on the receiving end of Sungjun’s ruthlessly trained team, lost quite badly most of the time.

 

“HOW? That’s- I- how did your- that was just a damn Panpour!” Dongyeol throws his hands up in defeat, falling back to the couch. Sungjun snickers. “Don’t expect to win so easily against me,” he teases.

 

Dongyeol pouts at him. “Yeah, yeah, I know you’re the greatest. Whatever.” He may not admit it, but Dongyeol really enjoyed their time together. He got to experience how easy it is to be noisy when he’s with Sungjun.

 

“Hey, Dongyeol.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Uh… thanks.”

 

Dongyeol can feel his heart jump a little at how Sungjun smiles so handsomely at him. However, he manages to muster a smile back. “No problem, hyung.” Sungjun scratches the back of his head. “Oh, and sorry for being so noisy before this. I’ll remember to tone it down… if I ever get someone else. I mean, I’m not quite over him, but I’ll find someone. Like you, maybe- I MEAN-”

 

A split second of silence takes over before they turn into a blushing, stuttering mess. “I didn’t mean it that way! I mean, not that I have anything against you or anything. Ah why am I like this?” Dongyeol’s heart is pounding more than it should be, and his face must be red judging by how hot he feels. “It’s um, okay, I don’t mind if you want. I mean if you don’t want to that’s fine too and-”

 

“You won’t mind?” Sungjun interrupts, grabbing the younger’s hand on instinct. Dongyeol grins nervously. “You’re noisy and annoying, hyung, but... you’re pretty great. How about l-l-lunch tomorrow? And Pokémon Go while we’re at it?” he suggests.

 

, he couldn’t stop the stutter from slipping out of his mouth.

 

“Sounds nice.”

 

Sungjun looks happy, and Dongyeol sighs in relief.

 

“Oh, and when will you let go of my hand? Not that I mind or anything,” Dongyeol asks. “Not soon.” Sungjun grasps it tighter, making the brunette’s cheeks redden.

 

He’s really cute, Sungjun will give him that.

 


Requested by: Meleodiseu 

A/N: Aah it's barely a day since I posted this and I'm touched at the amount of attention and support it got already ㅠㅠ Thank you so much! I hope you enjoyed this first os, and do leave comments if you see anything I lack in~ ^^

Twitter

-chocaramell