Friends never understand

A Little Help From My Friends

"You did what?!"

Seungcheol’s scream earned their little group another annoyed glare from Mrs. Cho, the grumpy librarian.

“If you would kindly shut the up, hyung.”

“Yah, Kwon Soonyoung, that’s no way to…”, said boy completely ignored him, resting his chin on his hand over his abandoned textbook.

“Anyway, tell me Wonwoonie, is Mingyu-ah a good kisser?”

“Is Seokmin okay with you asking that sort of thing?”

Soonyoung shrugged. “Having a boyfriend doesn’t make me incapable of prying into your life.”

“I should’ve know telling you was an awful idea. Stop wiggling your eyebrows at me, it’s weird”, he pushed the other’s face away, hiding himself behind his own book.

“Did you tell Junhui yet?”, asked Seungcheol, lowering the book covering his dongsaeng’s face.

“He was asleep when I arrived last night, and gone when I woke up this morning. Ugh, I haven’t even thought of how to tell him that”, his head thumped on the table.

“Tell who what?”, Junhui said, pulling the chair beside his best friend’s, startling the raven haired boy. “Wonwoo-ah, are you okay? You look sick”, as the blond’s hand reached towards his face, he suddenly yanked himself back.

“Would you look at that, ha, I’m almost late for class, ha, um, bye”, he quickly gathered his things, running away from the library as fast as his legs could take him.

“He doesn’t have class until 3 hours from now. Did I do something wrong?”

“Ah, Junnie, you don’t know the half of it. Let’s go, or we’ll be late for Ms. Park’s English lecture.”


“...And then he kissed me! What am I supposed to make out of that?”, said Mingyu letting out a frustrated sigh around his mouthful of lettuce.

“First, you could get some manners. Then maybe you could listen to me and just ing confess !”

“You know it’s not that easy, Hao.”

“It could be, if you stopped being so overdramatic, got your together and asked him out on a proper date, instead of crafting this stupid plan of fake-dating him.”

The taller pointed his chopsticks accusatorially at his friend. “What do you know about relationships? I haven’t seen you date anybody in years!”

Minghao’s ears promptly turned pink, his head lowering and teeth chewing his lower lip. Before the other could even begin to read into it, Seungkwan popped out of nowhere.

“Seungcheol-hyung told me Wonwoo-hyung told him you two kissed last night. Finally you created some courage, hyung!”

“Actually, um, he was the one that started it…”

Seungkwan’s eyebrows immediately stopped wiggling, his shoulders slumping. “And we are back to square one”, he said, pulling a chair for himself.

“Yah, what’s with you two, saying I’ve got no guts!”

“That’s probably because you don’t, Gyu.”

“You are one to talk, hyung, you and Jun-”, the elder almost jumped over the table to cover the singer’s mouth with his hand, frantically glancing towards Mingyu to see if he had heard anything, and sighing relieved when he noticed the other’s gaze fixed on the other side of the cafeteria, where Wonwoo stood.

Before Mingyu’s brain could process, his legs were already taking him towards his “boyfriend”, each step closer making his heart beat faster. “Hi”, he said, a shy smile on his lips; Wonwoo responding with an equally bashful greeting. From inside the bubble created around them, both failed to see Jihoon’s disgusted expression as he walked towards his own boyfriend.

“Do you, um”, the taller scratched the back of his neck nervously, before starting over. “How was your day, hyung?”

“It’s lunchtime still, Mingyu-ah.” Said boy chuckled awkwardly, feeling his insides melt at the grin the other sported. “What is your opinion on lunch dates?”

The younger felt a grin split his face into two, “I think they’re great. Let’s get out of here.”


Wonwoo sat back against a large tree off to the side of one of the many pathways that cut the university campus, book in his lap and Mingyu by his side. The situation would have been sweet and calming, had his heart not been hammering out of his chest for the duration of their so-called lunch date. The feeling was strange and new, but not unpleasant, and as much as he wanted his heartbeat to slow down, he also felt great, even if he refused to acknowledge it was all thanks to the boy sprawled playing on his phone next to him.

The elder was about to turn another page of his novel when his eyes suddenly spotted Junhui, a few feet away from them. “”, he muttered, stealing Mingyu’s attention away from his game as he scrambled to hide behind his book, his eyes peeking from the top of it until he was sure his best friend had left.

“You know, hyung”, said a sudden voice, making the taller let out a loud yelp. “I thought the intention behind your relationship with Mingyu-ah was so Junhui-hyung would stop pursuing you. What you’re hiding for, uh?”

“Yah, Lee Seokmin! How long have you been there?”

“Long enough to agree with Minghao about how stupid you two are. See ya!” And he skipped happily away as if nothing had happened.

The raven haired boy let out a exasperated sigh, rubbing his face with his hands and muttering curses under his breath. Suddenly, there were gentle hands pulling his own away from his face. “Hyung”, he lowered his head even more. “Hyung, look at me”, and he did, but the concern in the younger’s eyes was a bit too much for him to handle. “Why are you hiding?”

“I just… I’m a bit afraid of what Jun’s reaction is going to be. He’s my best friend, and even though I know he’ll be hurt, I don’t want him to hate me.”

“If Junhui-hyung really loves you as much as you love him, then he’s never going to hate you, I’m sure of that.”

“You truly are a great fake boyfriend, uh.”

Sitting back on his heels, the taller mockingly bowed, receiving an as mocking round of applause, accompanied by an eye roll. “I try my best”, a boyish grin showcasing his canines had Wonwoo cocking his head to side, once more struck in wonder  about the younger’s handsome features, something he had never paid much attention to before. He was so lost in his own thoughts that he barely noticed the other’s face getting closer, until his lips were caught in a kiss, as gentle as Mingyu’s hands, as warm as Mingyu’s skin, and as soft as Mingyu’s lips. The thought of staying there forever and not minding it a single bit took him by surprise, but he couldn't care less, not when there were much bigger matters in his hands.