Two birds, one stone

A Little Help From My Friends

Chapter Text

Wonwoo was nervous, like never before. He had agreed to Mingyu’s plan, but that didn’t mean he was any less fidgety. Both had deemed a “date” was necessary so people would see them together out and about, making their “relationship” more believable before announcing it to Junhui.

“Sorry for being late, hyung, Mr. Lee held the class until the very last minute and… Wow…” The taller stared him up and down, taking in his appearance, suddenly feeling very underdressed in his striped shirt and distressed jeans.

“Um, it’s okay. I was thinking… Maybe we could go to the Italian restaurant a few blocks from here. A lot of students go there all the time, so it would be perfect for us to be seen together and… Mingyu-ah, are you listening to me?”

“Uh? Yeah, sure, Italian food, sounds great…”, his eyes wandered back to the elder’s black shirt and dark blue jeans, until a hand suddenly grabbed his arm, and it was his turn to be dragged away. Mingyu sure was a lucky fake boyfriend.


The restaurant wasn’t that crowded when they arrived, but started to get packed up. The “couple” had been there for almost half an hour when Mingyu became fed up with the awkward silence that had settled between them.

The smaller’s eyes shot up from his plate of pasta when a hand suddenly laid over his own, the other’s face scooting closer so he could whisper to him, “Hyung, if we want to pretend to be a couple, we have to start acting like one. Talk to me.”

“What is it that you want to know?”

“What’s your favorite colour?”

“You already know that.”

“Tell me again. I’m interested in anything you have to say.”

“Since when are you so smooth?”

And there went his suave façade, torn to shreds. In it’s a place, a blush crept over his neck. “Can’t I try to seduce you? That’s my job here.”

“I think it would be more successful with you just dropped this whole “y and mysterious” stunt and just acted like yourself.”

“y and mysterious, huh? That one is new”, Wonwoo was too occupied to blush, stuck wondering how the taller could go so quickly from blushing stupid idiot to seductive smug idiot. “Well, thank you, hyung”, Mingyu smirked, and the elder did blush this time, realizing he had voiced his thoughts.

Yet another awkward silence elapsed them, but it was the smaller’s time to break it; turning his palm up, the raven haired boy curled his fingers around the other’s, giving it a squeeze. “Ice cream?”

The taller smiled, squeezing back. “Ice cream.”


“You’ve got a little something there”, the elder said, motioning to the other’s ice cream-covered face as they walked down the street towards the university. “No, let me help”, he snatched the napkin from Mingyu’s hand, cleaning his mouth. The scene reminded him of a cheap romcom, and he couldn’t help but smile a little.

“What’s so funny?”

“Us. This. Never thought we would date each other.”

“Well”, the taller entwined their hands, swinging them together a little, “now we’re here. And I’m not letting go.” With a swift move of his arm, Wonwoo was flush against his chest. Up close, the older boy was even more charming, and the younger couldn’t stop himself from pecking his cheek. He did not expect what came next: as he pulled away, a pair of warm hands grabbed at his cheeks, bringing his face forward until soft lips clashed onto his. The kiss was close-mouthed, and didn’t last more than a few seconds, but for Mingyu it felt like hours had passed before the smaller stepped away from him, mumbling a soft, “See you tomorrow”, then running away in the direction of his dorm hall, leaving a wonderstruck boy on the sidewalk.